‘Sister Wives’ Infertile Meri Gets Pressured To Have Another Baby

Mon, November 19, 2012 1:17pm EDT by 25 Comments
Courtesy Of TLC

Is it fair that Meri gets sent on a major guilt trip to have another baby, by her own teen daughter, Mariah? Mariah really knows how to turn on Meri’s tears with baby pressure!

Sister Wives Kody Brown already has 17 kids with four wives Meri, Janelle, Christine and Robyn. But that doesn’t stop him from telling us that he wants to be a father again.

Meri Gets Guilt Tripped

When he announces that on last night’s, Nov. 18, premiere episode of Sister Wives, he only adds to the guilt trip that Meri’s daughter Mariah, 17, has just sent her on. It hardly seems fair that Kody puts the pressure on, especially when his newest baby, Solomon, by fourth wife Robyn, is only five months old and little daughter Truely, by third wife Christine, is only two.

But that doesn’t stop polygamist and presumably still unemployed dad Kody from not adding his own push for Meri to get on the baby producing bandwagon again.

She has been tortured for years by infertility after producing her sole daughter Mariah, who is now graduating high school. Her torment has been relentless as every other one of Kody’s wives, all of whom he married after her, easily produced broods of babies.

But now fertile Robyn has given her new hope by offering to be a surrogate for Meri to have her own new baby so she won’t be an empty nester.

The problem, of course, is that now Meri, (be careful of what you wish for), isn’t totally sure she wants to get back into diaper and drool world. She kind of likes her independence after all.

Mariah Puts The Pressure On

That is until Mariah hits her up with sincere tears, begging for a sibling on last nights show.

“You can chose whether you want to be an empty nester,” she points out to her mom and Kody as she starts crying. “For as long as I can remember, I have prayed every single night that God would bless you, us, with another baby, and if you choose not to, you’re taking something away from all of us.” Ouch!

Poor Meri. Mariah makes it awfully hard for her to turn down Robyn’s offer. “If it’s sitting right in front of you, why not take it,” points out Mariah, who admits that she loves all of her 16 siblings (Kody’s other kids), but still feels it would be different to have a full-blooded brother or sister of her own.

It’s a heavy-duty moment and not surprising that Meri breaks down in tears and sobs to Mariah and Kody. “I haven’t made a decision. I need a little more time to figure it out…I don’t know what I want.”

Well, she may not know. But interestingly, Mariah does have very strong ideas about her own life. If there is a benefit of polygamy and sister wives, Mariah as an “only” child has seen it. She didn’t have to grow up as an “only” child, and that must be one of the reasons she is determined to be a sister wife like her moms. But she also plans are being a doctor — good for Mariah — and she tours the University of Utah with her parents.

You do have to hand it to Kody. He doesn’t fear being surrounded by strong women — at one point calling himself his wives’ “pool boy” and “boy toy.”

Madison’s Different Goals

While Mariah plans on a career as a doctor and a marriage as a sister wife, teen daughter Madison, 16, is just as adamant that she will NEVER join sister wifedom, and Kody is ok with that.

“I would not be able to share my husband,” she tells her non-polygamist friends. “It does not appeal to me AT ALL.”

She points out that she has friends from all over and that Mariah hangs out with a bunch of Mormons. But she’s keen to point out that her values are still strong. “I don’t drink or have any interest in being sloppy. I’ve seen girls make a lot of mistakes.”

Trying To Find The Perfect Homes And Lives

The rest of the episode focuses on the “drama” of whether Kody and all his wives will qualify for loans to buy their four dream houses all next to each other on a quiet Las Vegas cul de sac — so they can all be physically close to each other again.

“I feel like a single mom, and that’s not what I signed up for,” Christine points out, talking about how she and her six children only see Kody every fourth night now.

Robyn meanwhile worries that her debts will derail the family homebuying plans. We find out that Robyn was impoverished after her divorce, living in a trailer with her three kids, barely able to make ends meet on her salary.

“My priority was to keep a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and electricity,” she reveals. She couldn’t pay off debts she assumed from her ex-husband after her divorce.

Poor Robyn — no wonder life as a fourth wife to Kody looked good in comparison. But honestly, Robyn’s plight as a cash-strapped single mom is hardly uncommon. She certainly wasn’t a taker or moocher — just a survivor trying to protect and provide for her kids.

Now she has a chance to give back to the Brown family with a baby for Meri. So the big question remains: will Meri take up Robyn’s generous offer and make Mariah and Kody happy or has independence become too precious for Meri to give up for a baby? Stay tuned.

What do you think, HollywoodLifers? Should Meri have a baby with Robyn as a surrogate or has her life moved on from baby time?

– Bonnie Fuller

More Sister Wives

1. Sister Wives Go On Attack & Meri Cries Over Janelle’s Cruelty
  2. ‘Sister Wives Tell-All’: Robyn Is OK If Kody Brown Takes A Fifth Wife
  3. Sister Wives Preview: Kody Brown – I Did Not Choose Religion To Be A Womanizer

Heather Brown

Posted at 2:51 PM on September 15, 2013

I don’t understand why all the women are working and Kody just seems to be sitting around wanting to father more kids when they are fighting over moiney and can’t afford the ones they have Hpw many times have they been bankrupt UNBELIEVABLE

Nicole Pacinello

Posted at 11:47 PM on April 9, 2013

When Mariah goes to college I wouldn’t see the problem with Meri moving into Robyn’s house. They could make her a separate apartment in the house, for her privacy of course and so she could lead an independent daily routine. If I was Janelle I would have put my foot down on my money going to someone who didnt need as much as they were getting.

jess

Posted at 12:24 PM on March 2, 2013

Mariah. you only get one mum! she brought you into this world, isn’t that enough for you? or do you actually feel the need to pressurise and upset her about having another baby? I speak from experience. having siblings is not all its cracked up to be, sometimes i feel like my sister is coming between me and my mum, do you really want that to happen to you and your mum? Meri. you are a wonderful woman but you need to learn to stand up for yourself, do things because its what you want to do, not because someone else wants you to! if you want another baby, you shoud accept robyn’s offer but if you don’t want another child, you should not accept her offer as you will be putting yourself, your family and the unborn child at risk!!! Robyn. your an amazing person and what you have offered to do for meri is absolutely wonderful but again you should be doing this because you want to help her and not just because you feel sorry for her or because you feel that it is your duty, its not.

kathy abercrombie

Posted at 7:55 AM on January 4, 2013

Mary your instincts are correct. You have something the other wives do not have. Time for you and Cody uninterrupted. It is not selfish on your part. Time flies and you will be blessed with many grandbabies before you know it. As a woman we always love the thought of a sweet baby. But there are more babies to come in your life. Just be patient and they will come. Love for a grand child is so different and wonderful. Enjoy planning the new house and moving forward into the next phase of your life. You are such a sweet person and will be a wonderful grandmother and mentor for any children who need your Guidence. Embrace who you are and stand up for yourself, you are a wonderful person just as you are! I wish you the best and I pray for peace of mind for you. As my husband always says to me “think good things”. Love to you and yours, Kat

KC

Posted at 10:24 PM on January 1, 2013

I’m torn on this.

I wanna say baby, because that would actually make this series interesting again.

But you can totally tell Meri doesn’t want that, so I wanna say no baby.

All in all… I’d have to vote baby. Just because I wanna see Kody and Meri’s dynamic as new parents and see Meri with a baby. :P

I’d also like to see one of the teens with a serious boyfriend or girlfriend.

starcrown

Posted at 11:10 PM on December 30, 2012

If they can’t live under the same roof then it is not a plural marriage….heck, they r not even friends…..its 4 women living in seperate homes, and having sex with the same man…openly….I would define them more as conservative swingers.

george s.

Posted at 11:01 PM on December 30, 2012

I believe meri is only in this lifestyle so she can sit at home..on her large rear end, and she would have to work have money to throw away like she does…money made by the entire family…christene should not be with a man who is not attracted to her….she is so insecure and I feel sorry for her.

man whore

Posted at 10:54 PM on December 30, 2012

Meri is like a spoiled brat…its amazing she was ever convinced to live this lifestyle..I watch the show and its like shoving a triangle into a square…most women r selfish when it comes to their men…they don’t share…I didn’t see how these 4 women could do it…and they really can’t..meri is not even the type of person who should even have children..let alone 3 wives and 20 plus children.

KC

Posted at 10:26 PM on January 1, 2013

That’s not selfish. It’s NORMAL. How is wanting one man to yourself selfish? It’s how God designed us. Their lifestyle is completely going against nature. (But it’s completely fascinating to watch and I support them anyway.)

smart guy

Posted at 10:48 PM on December 30, 2012

I agree, kody needs to put his foot down…the budget for the house should not be the same..that’s aweful to even think that meri(with 1 child) should have the same size house, but there are no words to describe how wrong it is for meri to get the same budget for food and clothes.

susee

Posted at 11:46 PM on December 30, 2012

Agree! Meri appears to be quite spoiled and Kody may be stuck with that.

Lulu

Posted at 7:09 AM on December 16, 2012

Meri is a whining pain in the a$$, I agreed with Janelle when she asked why Meri needs as big a house as the rest of them with only one child (who will bw leaving for College soon). The other wives hav between 4 & 6 children each!!!! Now she wants a wet bar which means she has to add another bedroom, spoilt brat comes to mind. All her crying over whether or not she want to have IVF or have Robyn act as a surrogate is really annoying. She is my least favourite out of all the wives and comes across as a lazy, demanding, sniveling fool.

KC

Posted at 10:28 PM on January 1, 2013

I agree with you on the house thing. A bit crazy for Meri to have a huge house when she doesn’t need it. She should HAVE a house of her own. But not a gigantic one.

The whole 4 houses thing is just stupid in my opinion. They should just buy a lot and build a house specifically designed for their four families! DUH! They’re saying they’re trying to be one family, but their actions go against that.

Gia

Posted at 2:41 PM on November 23, 2012

I’m disgusted with Kody Brown. His desire to SIRE yet another child with Meri has more to do with him CONTROLLING her than in wanting to see her happy. She’s confused about it because it goes back to her feeling more or less ‘relevant’ in the order of his affections for her. To ‘prove’ her viability she needs to produce another kid – not because she really wants to but to keep status with him and the other wives. Even her own teenage daughter said to her something like ‘ I want you to have another child and if you decide not to, it is TAKING SOMETHING AWAY FROM THE REST OF US’ – Are you freaking kidding me?? It sounds like the girl is brainwashed, either that or even she knows as a young female BORN into this lifestyle that the other so-called siblings have tighter connections with the others and being an ‘only’ child some how makes her feel less than. And just whom has she been brainwashed by? Dear old DAD, stud himself Kody Brown. Meri had a miscarriage, which is psychologically stressful enough..but maybe she really truly doesn’t want anymore kids with this guy because somewhere, someday down the road she wants to LEAVE HIM…and possibly THAT’s what HE’s afraid of. He is a control freak and watching him with her on their ‘intimate’ vacation in Mexico, he appeared not all that sensitive or interested in doing what Meri wants or needs…but pressuring her for an answer and knowing is she says absolutely NO, she’ll be letting everyone down.

wrong

Posted at 11:30 PM on December 30, 2012

I disagree with kody trying to control meri with a child…I don’t see it at all..meri is a spoiled, and I don’t believe she couldn’t have children…she has had many opportunities to have children and backed out…she doesn’t want children…the only person meri cares about is meri..I 100% believe if meri was out of the picture the other 3 wives would live under the same roof….that other pilig family is an actual plural marriage…also, meri is a bit of an attention whore about this baby thing….christ she is pushing 50..she never wanted a child

KC

Posted at 10:29 PM on January 1, 2013

As an only child, I totally know how Mariah feels. However, she’s gotta learn that life’s not all about her. She’s lucky enough to have half siblings! Get over it girl.

me

Posted at 9:34 PM on November 20, 2012

i do watch this show, and i no tlc is probably paying for the houses, which are huge by the way, but reality tv does not last forever, and i do think they should defianately work, which looks like none of them do, and i agree about kody driving a sports car, and thinking he is all that, and how can they afford another child, seriously?? i think meri is past childrearing age, as am i, and i sure wouldn’t want one right now, but i think they should all work! he drives me crazy, he is attention whore that is for sure

Carlye

Posted at 6:44 PM on November 19, 2012

This episode was my first (and last) for this show. Who is this egotistical narcissist husband think he is? Driving around in a hot little convertible while these poor women sit around like brood mares backbiting and backstabbing each other! How does he SUPPORT 17 children and finance this upcoming ambititous housing project? I bet WE support them in the form of medicaid, foodstamps, and welfare. Does he have a job? Do any of them work? The whole concept of this show is just distasteful and he can cloak his polygamy concept in religion all he wants when really he relishes his role as “King of the Castle” and enjoys multiple sexual liasons. YUCK!

Guest

Posted at 11:54 PM on November 25, 2012

I think you’re biased because you have been trained to believe thee’s only one way to live and you’ve decided every alteration must be negative. That’s being rigid. Every relationship structure has problems. If two parent monogamous marriage was so wonderful, over half of them wouldn’t end in divorce. Also, I don’t think Kody is pressuring Meri. I think it’s a tough decision and they’re both struggling with it. They have to decide at some point.

BitsyM

Posted at 3:43 PM on November 19, 2012

Maybe Meri should suck it up and just say she doesnt want more kids. and I DONT feel sorry for her! Janelle has many reasons to dislike Meri and Meri’s crocodile tears only make her look more pathetic. Janelle has gotten the short end of the stick for years and I think Meri should have a smaller home and should work.

Teressa

Posted at 3:26 PM on November 19, 2012

Kody says love is to be multiplied, not divided. However, his love and family IS divided. A family lives in ONE house, not two or four! Just ignorant to me. Should purchase a small mansion which would be less expensive than four huge homes. Children and wives ARE neglected, seeing Kody every four days or so. I feel for the children who have to grow up with a part time, self endulgent, selfish father. What are these people thinking? No more children, can’t afford the one’s you have.

Jennie

Posted at 12:38 AM on November 20, 2012

agree.. why aren’t they living in one house? and yes meri should have a smaller house. And Janelle said they split the money equally for groceries etc. oh no, Janelle I know you don’t agree that meri should have the same amount of money for groceries with her 2 people household and you have the same amount.. there is something wrong.. ya’ll need to do percentages. mary gets a smaller percentage based on the number in the household.. all agencies calculate this way…. crazy.. none of these ladies look truly happy.. really, your husband is with 3 other women besides you and your forced to call her your sister wife, sike, that would never in a million years happen in my house.. my man is my man… maybe the sister wives should take up some brother husbands and get some more income coming in…

Shell

Posted at 3:13 PM on November 19, 2012

If shes still thinking, then she doesn’t want it. I think meri should divorce him.

Gia

Posted at 2:45 PM on November 23, 2012

AMEN to THAT! AMEN! And maybe just maybe that’s what’s been in the back of her mind the whole time…see my post above on why I think Kody NEEDS to control MERI.

Guest

Posted at 11:56 PM on November 25, 2012

If she’s still thinking, she hasn’t decided.