‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Henry’s Father Is Revealed & [Spoiler] Returns

Sun, November 4, 2012 9:36pm EST by 25 Comments
Once Upon A Time Recap
Courtesy of ABC

Plus, two characters share a haunting vision that could unite Storybrooke & the Enchanted Forest.

Emma (Jennifer Morrison) may have finally obtained the golden compass on the Nov 4. episode of Once Upon A Time, but the viewers got an even better treasure of their own: the identity of Henry’s (Jared Gilmore) father!

Through a series of flashbacks — wait, this show has flashbacks now?! — we watched Emma fall in love with Neil Cassidy (Michael Raymond-James) 11 years ago. Like most couples, they met while stealing the same car, and the rest was grand-theft history. But the real twist came when Emma and Neil planned to run away to Tallahassee together, and Neil was stopped by a very familiar face: August (Eion Bailey)!

After showing Neil the contents of his suitcase — what the $%^& was in that suitcase?! — Neil believed August’s story about Emma’s destiny, and arranged to have her caught by the cops. So Emma got two equally precious gifts from Neil in jail: a keychain, and a positive pregnancy test!

(I guess now we know why Henry is so messed up in the head; he was incubated in prison.)

Up the stalk without a hook:

Emma’s history of betrayal with Neil left her with some understandable trust issues, which manifested themselves during her adventure up the beanstalk with Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) in present-day Enchanted Forest. After besting the giant (Jorge Garcia) and getting her hands on the compass, Emma chained Hook up and left him in the castle.

My prediction: Hook and Emma will reunite and fall in love — just in time for Neil to arrive in Storybrooke and force Emma to make a choice. (Seriously, this is one of the only shows on TV without a love triangle. It’s about damn time.)

They dreamed a dream:

It looks like Charming (Josh Dallas) may be on the cusp of finding a way to communicate with Snow (Ginnifer Goodwin) and her merry band of princesses!

At the end of the episode, Henry woke up from a nightmare in which a windowless room was on fire, and a strange woman was staring at him from across the room. It was a total mirror of the dream Aurora (Sarah Bolger) had earlier in the episode, though in her dream, it was a pair of male eyes staring back at her.

That’s right, the only two character I dislike on this show are now dreaming about each other.

Were you surprised to learn that Neil is Henry’s father? Do you think Henry’s dream is a way of connecting the two worlds? And what do you think was in August’s suitcase? Drop me a comment with your predictions and theories!

— Andy Swift

More Once Upon A Time on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Once Upon A Time’: Jorge Garcia’s Giant Spells Big Trouble For Emma
  2. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Scoop: Are Emma & Captain Hook Getting Together?
  3. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Dr. Whale’s Identity Is Finally Revealed

Posted at 1:43 PM on January 20, 2013

There were 2 other love triangles before:
Regina + Huntsman + Emma
Mary Margaret + David Nolan + “his wife”

Valerie

Posted at 8:17 PM on December 6, 2012

bow and arrow because Neil is robin hood. why do you think he steals??? lol cause he did so in the magic world. now you would ask HOW he managed to escape the curse? im sure they’re gonna cover that. If Neil was Baelfire, emma wouldnt be the only person he would be looking for now is it? we know that he’s upset at his father but since baelfire is a brave honest guy, he would still want to find his father.

jjr

Posted at 11:10 PM on November 25, 2012

I think Neal is rumple’s son since he wanted to go to the world with out magic and ended up there having to steal to live, and what August showed him was something from the magic world that they only know of, and I would love the love triangle!

sharon

Posted at 7:09 AM on November 19, 2012

I think Neal is Baelfire, thus Rumple is Henry’s Grandpa.
However, I also think Rumple also look like Belle’s grandpa as well. He’s better off being the beast with Belle, seems more chemistry there.

I really love Hook and Emma, they feel good together.

A.B.

Posted at 5:15 PM on November 5, 2012

What must connect Auroa and Henry is probably that they were both under the sleeping spell and they woke at about the same time. And I don’t doubt that August had something to do with Henry being adopted by Regina. It didn’t matter if she would break the curse at 28 that was just a prediction she could have failed also and not broken it i.e. August turning back into a wooden puppet she was almost to late. So she couldn’t be in a happy stable relationship with a son there would be no reason to go to SB. And we also can’t believe anything August says he lies a lot.

DIane

Posted at 11:23 AM on November 5, 2012

Wasn’t there a sign in Neal’s room in the city that said something about “Hatters” . . . coincidence?

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:23 PM on November 5, 2012

That’s why I thought he might be the March Hare (the Mad Hatter’s buddy), but now I’m not so sure.

cheri

Posted at 8:36 AM on November 5, 2012

I am excited to see them show Emma with some true feelings, and to see how Henry came about. I think Hook and Emma would be cute together, even though he is technically a bad guy. I can see some compassion in him when he was taking care of Emma’s hand. I had to watch this episode on my Hopper through DISH, on the PrimeTime Anytime feature. It automatically records all the primetime shows on the four major networks. This is an awesome feature, because I always space out that it is on, or I am working my shift at DISH. I cannot wait to see when they will get back to Storybrooke.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:24 PM on November 5, 2012

I think, at some point, Emma will be torn between Hook and Neal. And maybe August, if he’s around.

Kate

Posted at 12:54 AM on November 5, 2012

At first when I saw Neal getting the postcard I thought Peter Pan!!! If you actually think about the story of Peter Pan he was a thief!!!!

But now I’m not too sure…

Ps. I lovvvvvve Hook!

Kate

Posted at 1:03 AM on November 5, 2012

Nope the more I think about it the more I think he is Peter Pan !

Theory : rumple lost his son bae

Peter Pan is a lost boy

Bae is Peter.

Also is there something connecting charming and aurora? Hich naturally connects Henry to aurora ?

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:01 AM on November 5, 2012

Oh, wow, I like that idea a lot.

Elise Jewle

Posted at 10:34 PM on November 11, 2012

it said that Bae went to a land without magic Neverland has magig so he cant be Pan

Claire

Posted at 11:51 PM on November 4, 2012

I loved the giant part of the episode! But, I hated the whole reasoning behind leaving Emma, seriously! August knew Emma was going to break the curse at age 28 so couldn’t it have been better if he had provided a free vacation trip for her for her Birthday or something!? But I guess we wouldn’t have a good show if Emma would have lived happily ever after with Neil

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:26 AM on November 5, 2012

This is a stretch, I know, but could there have been a part we didn’t see? Like, one where Emma slept with August, making Henry a baby Pinocchio?

Anna

Posted at 11:09 PM on November 4, 2012

I loved Hook and Emma. I really hope we see more of them soon.
I understand why some might be disappointed with Hook. I was extremely disappointed when Rumple turned out to be the Beast, but I got used to it. Just wait for his backstory before you judge. The Crocodile was more for Rumple than Hook.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:18 PM on November 4, 2012

I’m surprised people are disappointed with Hook. I can’t find a single flaw.

Kelly

Posted at 10:26 PM on November 4, 2012

My favorite parts were August and Neal. I am not digging Hook so I hope Emma doesn’t fall for him.

I still think Neal could be Baelfire. He seemed interested in stopping nightmares when Emma told him about the dream catcher (Dark One/Rumple nightmares maybe) and He believed August so darn quickly. He had to have magic experience.

I also think August could have had a hand in Henry ending up adopted in Storybrooke since Gold arranged the deal but did not remember his past util he met Emma in the pilot.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:19 PM on November 4, 2012

Good call with the Dream Catcher. Maybe he’ll have something to do with Aurora and Henry’s dreams!

Patti

Posted at 10:05 PM on November 4, 2012

Hook is a real letdown. He’s really lame and the chemistry with Emma is forced.

I really like August and Neal. I hope we see more of them

AJ

Posted at 1:01 PM on November 17, 2012

Well, I saw a great chemistry between them. I love it !!!

A Pleasure Excursion

Posted at 9:52 PM on November 4, 2012

i really hope your right about emma and hook giving it a second try!!! i desperately want them together!!

A Pleasure Excursion

Posted at 9:53 PM on November 4, 2012

you’re*

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:19 PM on November 4, 2012

I think it’s safe to assume they’ll get a second chance. ;)

Echo

Posted at 8:49 PM on December 14, 2012

I dont know if anyone caught it, but apparently, Niel and August were in the foster care together. because when August was trying to talk Niel out of meeting back up with Emma, he mentioned that the two of them knew each other and they were supposed to watch over each other and of his promise to watch over Emma. interesting twist. My guess is that Niel is Bae.