Taylor Swift Accused Of Allegedly Stealing Lyrics In ‘All Too Well’

Fri, November 2, 2012 2:19pm EST by 48 Comments
Taylor Swift Stole Song
FameFlynet

Allie

Posted at 6:17 PM on December 30, 2012

I am a huge fan of taylor and her music. But i mean, come on She obviously stole it. I mean, she’s a fan and she wrote lyrics of his on her arm. She obviously knew the lyrics and took them. Taylor has such an amazon talent, but I think she took that line from him..

Eleanor T

Posted at 7:50 PM on November 17, 2012

Sometimes, when you write songs they relate to other songs or maybe you were listening to them before and didn’t realize that you repeated them; she most probably forgot where she heard the lyrics from and hadn’t noticed or she borrowed them as a twist for her song. She’s used the latter technique before in “I’m Only Me When I’m With You” where she said “Just a small town boy and girl, living in a crazy world” so it could be a mistake or purpose; considering she’s a fan I’m guessing she did it because she admires that part and thought it would fit well however I doubt she did it for the intention of gaining credit and payment for those few lyrics.

shiela mae

Posted at 5:18 AM on November 13, 2012

MATT , i don’t know u cause ur not famous and ur song too !! … so , i really don’t have the idea that TAYLOR stole ur lyrics until u tweeted it … !!!! DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhh..

sonja

Posted at 6:16 AM on November 13, 2012

No it’ stupid to sue someone over a line out of a song you said you wrote a long time ago. shoot man get over it. you are a nobody.

Anna

Posted at 12:47 PM on November 5, 2012

This is strange to me because just a few weeks ago I found myself singing a song that I THINK was a Maroon 5 song and when I got to a certain line, I realized (I’m a singer) that one of Swift’s songs had an important line in it with exactly the same note progression — I think the rule for plagiarism is five consecutive notes. As I said, in both songs the line is an important “hook” line. I’m going to look it up in my journal, because it was so striking to me that I wrote it down and actually wrote the notes down too. I’ll put it into another comment, once I find it. Also, in my opinion, Swift’s “Never ever…” song might not be an example of direct stealing, but to me it is her rather feeble and too cooincidentally timed attempt to cash in on Carly Rae Jepson’s success with Call Me Maybe — the same feel, even Swift’s moves with her hands in the video, compared with Jepson’s. I’m sorry but I just don’t thnk Swift is that talented — she really doesn’t sing very well, is quite phonily “modest” or “surprised” when she wins an award in a televised show (who was it that even mocked her “astonished” open-mouthed look in a major awards show recently, even if it was meant to be “kidding”? A lot of her songs sound similar to each other. Contrast this with Carrie Underwood’s material, for example, not to mention Underwood’s incredible gift and vocal range as a singer. I know this comment will make some people mad, but… I’ll look up the line I referred to earlier and put it “on the record” later.

Ashley

Posted at 9:09 AM on November 7, 2012

Carrie Underwood doesn’t write her own songs…

Mandy

Posted at 6:59 PM on November 4, 2012

Whoever the heck this Matt Nathanson dude is,he’s out of his mind. He knows better than to talk about Taylor Swift like that. It’s just one stupid lyric.

Jaden

Posted at 8:05 PM on November 6, 2012

*One stupid song. Talk about #TaylorSwift12 fanboy, when he wrote this about 9 years ago. she was seen writing his stuff on her ARM. That sounds like plagiarism to me.

Kaila

Posted at 1:42 AM on December 13, 2012

She always writes lyrics on her arm. She does it for every concert, usually her own. But she writes other lyrics, too. She didn’t write them on her arm and go back a few years later and say “okay, so I wrote these down on my arm let me turn them into a new song.”

Lori

Posted at 5:56 PM on November 4, 2012

theres so many songs with similarities in them. it happens all the time! he just needs to take a chill pill and mooooove onnnn!

tiki

Posted at 10:20 AM on November 3, 2012

never heard of him. it’s one damn line. the similarity probably wasn’t even thought of. just something that popped up in her mind. I think he’s taking advantage of this to gain a bit more recognition

Caoimhe (love Niall Horan)

Posted at 5:36 AM on November 3, 2012

What the hell, well I’ve never heard the guy! He seems really pushy and stingy like honestly, just because no one I know knows who the hell the guy is, even Taylor might not, and probably didn’t know the song, doesn’t mean he can come out and accuse her of doing something completely innocent! NO ONE KNOWS THE SONG MATT WHATEVER!

Jaden

Posted at 8:06 PM on November 6, 2012

She wrote some of the lyrics on a arm. read the full article

Zdnelson

Posted at 3:50 AM on November 3, 2012

Plagiarism means to deliberately and knowingly steal. This guy sounds like a real chesseball to accuse any songwriter of doing that, especially one lousy line. As if T Swift. Was writing her beautiful song and suddenly decided–hey, think I’ll steal a line from a song that was written when I was 12. This guy sounds drunk, old and bitter.

Grace

Posted at 1:10 AM on November 3, 2012

uhmm.. here’s a fact, Matt wrote that song a DECADE ago. surely anyone has used his lyrics and put it in their songs before Taylor did. so, why only Taylor gets the blame? it’s one LINE, big deal, it’s not like she stole your idea.

Grace

Posted at 1:07 AM on November 3, 2012

uhmm.. is it really wrong to accidentally write 1 LINE that is the same with some artist’s songs? I mean, it”s been like a decade, and anyone could have written that line BEFORE Taylor. come on, chill guys, she’s a great talent, and you just can’t accept that, can you?

Sonja

Posted at 10:41 PM on November 2, 2012

Yeah my dad wrote the song 50 ways to leave your lover and it was stolen before he could of gotten it copy write.

sarah

Posted at 10:33 PM on November 2, 2012

the real issue here is the fact that “swifties” as they refer to themselves, are making themselves out to look ridiculous. It’s ironic that these individuals attacking someone who wrote the exact same line in 2003. doesn’t your “hero” Taylor preach about NOT bullying in “mean?” It’s a shame you can’t take her lessons to heart…

robin

Posted at 10:20 PM on November 2, 2012

it was almost 10 years ago he released that song….pretty sure there are other songs with lyrics kinda like it out there

karen

Posted at 10:18 PM on November 2, 2012

oh my god a line!!…get over it matt…..loser!!

sexysportsbabexoxo

Posted at 8:21 PM on November 2, 2012

it’s one line! Who cares? I mean I listen to lots of songs and sometimes the lyrics sound almost the same. And NOTHING happens. w-t-f!

LittleMo

Posted at 8:19 PM on November 2, 2012

If she’s so talented Taylor can write her own “one line” – oh wait – she has to break up wtih another boyfriend first. Guess we’ll have to wait 3 months for the next line.

Iris

Posted at 9:40 PM on November 2, 2012

Thats not kool, just cuz she writes about love doesnt mean thats all she needs gosh -_-

sarah

Posted at 7:11 AM on November 3, 2012

BIG like!!!!although im a fan of taylor I think u got it right;-)

zoey

Posted at 8:15 PM on November 2, 2012

so many songs have the same name. for example ‘the one who got away’ no big deal!! it’s not even exactly the same.

mie sol

Posted at 7:12 PM on November 2, 2012

So what??! it’s one line ONE line.. get the **** over it dude! just because you made up a sentence that sounded good it doesn’t mean you own it! g e t o v e r i t !!!! -and just take it as a compliment that someone as talented as Taylor Swift would use it in her song..

Fifitcha

Posted at 7:01 PM on November 2, 2012

I’m a fan of Taylor.. But it can’t be a coincidence, She obviously took it from his song.. But I think it’s okay, since she’s a fan of Matt..

Sheree

Posted at 6:14 AM on November 4, 2012

What is Matt’s excuse then cuz….The first line of Matt Nathanson’s 2008 song Come on Get Higher is “I miss the sound of your voice”

That EXACT line is from a Motley Crew song If I Die Tomorrow released in 2005.

Sheree

Posted at 6:16 AM on November 4, 2012

So what is Matt’s excuse then cuz…The first line of Matt Nathanson’s 2008 song Come on Get Higher is “I miss the sound of your voice”

That EXACT line is from a Motley Crew song If I Die Tomorrow released in 2005.
Hypocritical douche

Cozmo (@CosminaCozmo)

Posted at 6:56 PM on November 2, 2012

So what? It’s just one line….

nikki

Posted at 6:50 PM on November 2, 2012

whats the big deal? its one line, its different. nobody knows the song I Saw so obviously hes just jealous that Taylor is a better and more successful artist then he is, was and will ever be. its one line in a song that was released 9 years ago, what a prick.

Joice

Posted at 6:48 PM on November 2, 2012

wow it one line come one if it was the hole song ok !!! get a life man

Fayrouz

Posted at 5:11 PM on November 2, 2012

this is stupid he better shuts his mouth up

brittany (@brittanycutiexo)