’16 & Pregnant’ Star Jamie McKay Reveals: I Had An Abortion

Fri, November 2, 2012 1:25pm EST by 28 Comments
Jamie McKay Abortion
Courtesy of Twitter

Jamie shared an ultrasound of a baby on Nov. 1 with the message ‘rest in peace little angel,’ only to later admit she didn’t have a miscarriage — she had an abortion.

Jamie McKay showed the world her pregnancy and birth of daughter Miah, now 2, on MTV’s 16 & Pregnant in 2011, but the 18-year-old recently took to Twitter to reveal another pregnancy — and her decision to terminate it.

Jamie led her Twitter followers to believe she had miscarried on Nov. 1 when she shared a photo of an ultrasound with the message, “Rest in peace little angel. September 17, 2012.”

But she clarified the loss of her baby was due to an abortion, not a miscarriage.

“Thank you all for the love and support but I want you to know I did not miscarry. I chose abortion. I chose it out of fear. I feel like I made a mistake and I can’t take it back,” she wrote.

“I have had this in my heart and it has been very hard on me. I was afraid to be judged by my family, my mother, even my dad. So I did it before they could find out. I should have looked into my options more but I didn’t.”

She also made it clear that the father of her daughter Miah, Ryan McElrath, was also the father of this baby — and was extremely supportive. “He let me make my decisions,” she said.

Jamie also added that she is now on birth control, and is thankful for those who are supportive of her choice.

What do YOU think of Jamie sharing her decision on Twitter HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More 16 & Pregnant news:

1. ’16 And Pregnant’ Reunion Recap: The Moms Talk Life After Labor
  2. ’16 And Pregnant’ Recap: Kristina Grieves Death Of Her Baby’s Father
  3. ’16 And Pregnant’ Recap: Devon Worries Her Army Boyfriend Colin Will Re-Enlist

keri

Posted at 2:31 AM on March 2, 2014

its obvious the 16 and pregnant CAST have not learned anything about being 16 pregnant because now it seems they all have been 18 and pregnant, 20 and pregnant , 21 and pregnant, or having abortions what’s wrong   with them 17, 18 & 20 stupid

MtothaE

Posted at 7:26 AM on April 22, 2014

EXACTLY! I don’t get these girls. Why not just get on birth control instead of using abortion as birth control?! I am not against abortion, but I definitely think it should be a last resort.

cara

Posted at 2:27 AM on March 2, 2014

Kay

Posted at 5:14 PM on March 20, 2013

Sick acting like it hurt her If u cared u wouldn’t had killed ur baby I hope ur 1st child holds it against u killing its sister or brother u need help how can u look at ur 1st one love it so much an kill ur second I don’t think she even loves her 1st one

mari

Posted at 5:56 PM on June 28, 2013

well put, its crazy how a mother can kill her own baby…

craycray

Posted at 8:24 AM on August 9, 2013

abortion is good. it helps keep the population down. The earth isn’t getting any bigger.

azza

Posted at 10:36 PM on December 30, 2013

no she will raise her child to understand that it is each woman decision to do what she wants with her body. Lets face it no matter what she chose to do, she was going to make someone upset or disappointed.

Tiffany

Posted at 10:57 AM on November 6, 2012

It’s her choice, but why announce something like that on Twitter unless you just want attention?

Independent Thinker

Posted at 11:16 AM on November 3, 2012

What’s the scientific definition of death?
When brain waves stop.
Wouldn’t it make sense for the start of life be when brain waves start? Brain waves start at 28 weeks. Just something to think about.

tiki

Posted at 9:49 AM on November 3, 2012

I think it goes with the whole point of teen mom. showing the struggles no matter what choice you make. now she’s made a very hard one, and is struggling with the regret. it’s a very hush hush topic and a lot of young girls don’t understand that no matter what you choose getting pregnant isn’t easy and It will change you. abortion, adoption, keeping it, even if you end up with a miscarriage, all of it is difficult. maybe someone willing to talk about it will show more about the darker more secretive option.

Heaven

Posted at 10:09 PM on November 2, 2012

Get this girl on some birth control and this wouldnt have happened. Did she not learn from the first time?

tam

Posted at 2:41 PM on November 3, 2012

apparently not..

ashley

Posted at 9:48 PM on November 2, 2012

It’s 100% her choice, but if she was ever worried about being judged it should have been shared with the bare minimum that was necessary, not the world. It’s very sad that it had to happen, but in this world everyone has a choice. There are so many people in the world that would have been ready to take the little girl with open arms. :(

Carrie

Posted at 8:01 PM on November 2, 2012

Abortion may be a women’s choice but come on, use birth control. We are not living in the dark ages. No excuse for this situation a second time around. Shameful.

TaRhea

Posted at 9:54 PM on November 2, 2012

Yeah a women has a choice.and yeah its her body but its not right to have an abortion.if you don’t think you can sapper the baby at least let it live and put it up for adoption. Its still showing your not a tot mother but its better then practicly murder.

jeeezpeople!

Posted at 7:17 PM on November 2, 2012

Omg abortion is a womens choice! Its her body so therefore its her choice. She doesnt need help from god for doing it!

Gilly

Posted at 11:02 PM on November 2, 2012

you say its a womans choice because its HER choice, and HER body? But no, it’s not. that baby inside of there has it’s own HEART and own BODY.

She made a huge mistake, but she regrets it. She lost my respect for her for the mistake she made, but she regrets it, and god is a forgiver.

Nick

Posted at 1:38 AM on November 3, 2012

Even though the fetus may have a heart and body doesn’t mean she should have not had the abortion. Bring a child into a unfair setting is an unfair punishment for the baby. Why would you allow a baby to be emotionally tarnished (if given up for adoption)? Or if she decided to keep the baby, why do so in an unfit environment, the baby will grow up with resentment? Trust me, I know this from my best friends situation as well as my own. My friend expresses that she would have rather been aborted than brought into the world as an emotional roller coaster.

gigi

Posted at 7:06 PM on November 2, 2012

How irresponsible to get pregnant AGAIN! Honestly. As others have said, what carelessness, there are SO many ways to prevent pregnancy. The whole thing sickens me.

britt

Posted at 5:34 PM on November 2, 2012

I’m as prolife as it gets, totally against abortion. BUT everyone should not be speaking ill of her. She had this abortion in SEPTEMBER, and she now says she regrets it. It’s sad that she had an abortion, but she does regret it and will now learn from it and maybe advise other girls/women in the future. Do I think it was an appropriate thing to share over twitter with that message? No. Maybe a Dr.drew special would have been more appropriate.

Saddened

Posted at 5:08 PM on November 2, 2012

I had actually liked her…the respect I had for her is now gone for killing her baby like a murderer. My prayers are with that poor baby and in hopes that this ‘mother’ will find Jesus – she needs Him, badly.

nicole

Posted at 3:56 PM on November 2, 2012

She should of never posted the picture on twitter! I am pro-choice but she is going to get put through hell now.

Alli

Posted at 3:37 PM on November 2, 2012

When will people learn that abortion IS NOT A FORM OF BIRTH CONTROL.

meatandtwovegpaleoliving

Posted at 4:55 PM on November 2, 2012

There are just SO MANY options to prevent I just don’t understand why.

lany.

Posted at 3:22 PM on November 2, 2012

Abortion is murder. what a cruel thing to do, maybe you should take better care of your self and abstain so that if your not ready, it wont happen.. how dare she say rest in peace.. YOU MADE THE BABY REST IN PEACE IT HAD NO CHOICE!!!

karen

Posted at 2:40 PM on November 2, 2012

how stupid of her !!! really she just killed her bby n she says rest in peace lil angel like wtf!! i cant stand that stupid whore!!! ugh

me

Posted at 2:32 PM on November 2, 2012

Maybe she needs to learn how to keep her damn legs closed

James

Posted at 1:57 PM on November 2, 2012

wow, someone had an abortion! NOT like this doesnt happen every day or anything!