‘X Factor': Is Emblem 3 The New One Direction? Simon Cowell Speaks

Fri, November 2, 2012 12:00pm EDT by 53 Comments
Emblem 3 One Direction
FameFlynet, Courtesy of FOX

Simon draws new comparisons between the boy bands — but will Emblem 3 sing a 1D song on ‘The X Factor’ this season? Read on for the scoop.

You might not know this, but you have Simon Cowell to thank for the very existence of One Direction. He formed the British-Irish boy band on the The X Factor UK, and it sounds like he might have struck gold again — stateside, this time — with Emblem 3! Speaking to HollywoodLife.com and other reporters Nov. 1, Simon drew comparisons between the global phenomenon and the budding pop trio.

“[The boys of Emblem 3] do remind me, in a lot of ways, of when I started working with One Direction,” Simon said. “It was this self-confidence, having fun, wanting to win, but at the same time kind of difficult to manage. But I like that. I have fun working with them, I really do. And they are infectious.”

Despite their noted similarities, however, don’t hold your breath waiting for Emblem 3 to perform a One Direction song this season. When asked about that possibility, Simon simply responded, “Um… doubtful.”

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Does Emblem 3 have what it takes to become the new One Direction, or is it way too early in the game to be drawing such comparisons? Watch the boy band perform below, then cast your vote:

Watch More ENTV Videos!

— Andy Swift, reporting by Russ Weakland

More X Factor on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘X Factor’ Results Recap: The Top 12 Contestants Revealed
  2. Khloe Kardashian: You Rocked As An ‘X Factor’ Host
  3. Khloe Kardashian Goes Braless On ‘X Factor’ & Distracts Simon Cowell

S.Emblem

Posted at 12:14 PM on April 9, 2014

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY WRONG. 1D ARE LIKE DOLLS OF THE INDUSTRY, THEY MAKE INDUSTRIAL MUSIC, NOT THE MUSIC THE WANT TO. EMBLEM3 IS A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN 1D. THEY ARE TALENTED AND THEIR SONGS ARE JUST AMAZING. AND THEY ARE THE MOST INSPIRATING, KIND AND GOOD PEOPLE EVER. AND OF COURSE THEY ARE NOT A BOYBAND.

EMBLEM3 FOREVER.

(Excuse me for my english, I’m not from US.

Katelyn Stromwick

Posted at 3:12 AM on August 18, 2013

Emblem3 is NOT a boyband. They have a titally different sound then One Direction. The only similarte with 1D and E3 is they were both formed on the X-Factor and they both have numbers in their names. Other then that I feel Emblem3 is talented in their own special way and there is NO way to compare them to One Direction. I love Emblem3. So yup.

Leah

Posted at 11:37 PM on March 29, 2013

Emblem3 isn’t even a BOYBAND. You can’t really compare the two, even though I love Emblem3. E3 isn’t going to be the next One Direction and technically that’s not a bad thing.

Marta

Posted at 5:08 PM on February 25, 2013

The emblem3 are good but the one direction are the best 1D 4ever!!!!

Zarry Niamouis

Posted at 9:42 PM on January 31, 2013

‘One Direction arent good singers’?
Heres the key to my car. Now carelessly drive it down a cliff.
100% of people who claim 1D arent good singers are the people who literally sound like werewolves giving birth.
Emblem 3 and One Direction are two different types of band striving for gold in the music industry.
So unless you’re trying make a name in the music industry, I suggest you should just ducktape your mouth shut and sit the flack down. Peasant.

George

Posted at 11:02 AM on January 19, 2013

Fifth harmony maybe!! Emblem 3 NO WAY THEY ARE NOT GOOD I DON’T EVEN KNOW THE REASON SIMON SIGNED THEM !

Taylor

Posted at 7:21 PM on February 2, 2013

Umm Fifth Harmony doesnt even come close to 1D… Just because both groups came in third doesnt mean they are the same. 1D is 10 times better than fifth harmony will ever be. E3 isnt the new One Direction and neither is fifth harmony. and he signed E3 cuz they have talent

Jason

Posted at 11:00 AM on January 19, 2013

Fifth harmony maybe. Emblem 3 NO WAY THEY ARE NOT GOOD I DON’T EVEN KNOW THE REASON SIMON SIGNED THEM !

Katie

Posted at 5:15 PM on January 9, 2013

I have thought it sense the first time I heard them and I still think it now. Most of the boys in the one direction are just not good singers. Liam is the only one who should have even made it onto the xfactor. Emblem3 isn’t anything like one direction and hopefully never will be. But, I still think they will wipe the floor with one direction. I bet even simon thinks that. You could tell how much he loved emblem3.

1DandE3BABY

Posted at 10:29 AM on December 24, 2012

Don’t compare them! They are 2 different groups. Emblem3 isn’t even a boyband. Just please don’t compare them. They are very different from each other.

Lily

Posted at 9:29 AM on December 23, 2012

The only boyband to last and get as close to the 1D lads success will be Union J. Obviously Simon wanna try to reach the same success he had with One Direction. There’s so many new boybands like The Wanted, Big Time Rush, District3 and Emblem3. The One Direction lads were just the group to reach to the top. *shoulder clap to the lads* they did it very well.

Lily

Posted at 9:20 AM on December 23, 2012

LMAO! Those 3 guys are nothing like 1D. The British/Irish boyband were epic in the way they treats their fans and how they have succeeded. There has never been someone like them, and there will never be. they have done all those fun stuff to entertain their fans, and other people hasn’t. Besides, I have only heard that Emblem3 are known as “jerks” and “selfish idiots” and you won’t get far with that attitude. No, I’m not a Directioner, but I do know when someone’s actually talented and will get lots of success. They might release a CD sooner or later but it won’t be selling out stocks or anything.

1DandE3BABY

Posted at 10:47 AM on December 24, 2012

I’m a Directioner and Emblem. But don’t go hating on Emblem3! They aren’t selfish or jerky. They want world peace! Just look at their inspirational tweets okay!

Matt

Posted at 5:12 PM on January 9, 2013

Haha that rather rediculous that you called emblem 3 jerks when they are some of the nicest people out there. I watched them through the whole show and one things for sure they have ten times as much talent as one direction does. I guarantee emblem3 is bigger then one direction. It’s not even a question because first of all have you heard them sing? It’s pretty fricken amazing. And secondly they actually sing music guys can listen too! I know plenty of dude who watched emblem3 on the xfactor and thought their music was great. Can’t say the same for one direction.

HEYILUVJB

Posted at 7:56 AM on December 16, 2012

haha! emblem3 got sswag 1d are nufin against their swagger!i aint on 1d emblem 3 are just way different in style and i dont think any time soon their gunna be telling girls what makes em beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CHEESY!

Hazardous_Henna

Posted at 10:44 PM on August 27, 2013

Lol, Nope. Emblem3 definitely won’t be telling girl what makes them beautiful. Instead, they’re telling them that ‘hey your sisters super hot and everyone loves her but i’d settle for you and you should feel honored to be my second choice’.

Sana

Posted at 4:45 PM on December 14, 2012

excuse you. how dare someone even COMPARE the two..Hell no

1DandE3BABY

Posted at 10:48 AM on December 24, 2012

I agree.

1DandE3BABY

Posted at 10:50 AM on December 24, 2012

I mean I agree with Sana.

Kaleigh Ann

Posted at 9:56 PM on December 12, 2012

I mean, Emblem 3 is good, but they’re not THAT good!

Jessica

Posted at 6:31 PM on December 7, 2012

They r NOT BETTER THAN ONE DIRECTION 1D FOREVA LOVE U ONE DIRECTION one direction

Jessica