‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: Damon & Elena’s Date Takes A Twisted Turn

Thu, November 1, 2012 9:54pm EDT by 72 Comments
Vampire Diaries Episode 4x04
Courtesy of The CW

delena fan

Posted at 4:51 AM on November 2, 2012

Hated that Elena said that it should be Stefan helping her, when Damon clearly knows what he’s talking about. Thank god for the porch scene where she apologized. She needs to accept Damon though and more importantly let her obvious FEELINGS for Damon in her head, because now they are hiding deep in the core of her heart.

delena fan

Posted at 4:44 AM on November 2, 2012

BTW do you think Rebeccah is coming back from the dead anytime soon? I really hope Elijah comes back to Mystic Falls. He is my favorite original. Does anyone else miss Elijah and Katherine???

delena fan

Posted at 4:40 AM on November 2, 2012

Well, I think Damon could have taken a more considerate way of teaching Elena. I liked the scene in the class room and the scene with the blond girl. It’s important that she realizes that every human has someone like that little sister. But the party scene where she and Damon danced and she bit that girl…hmmm… not sure I liked that. I mean I think Damon has a great approach, it should be fun, so it doesn’t become too serious and therefore she could hurt someone really bad. But I think the best approach would have been to show Elena that yes it can be and should be fun and the victims don’t get really hurt, so there’s no point in feeling guilty. And I think Damon partly failed that second part. But on the bright side Damon spoke his mind, I too think that Bonnie was a bit too hush on Elena, when it’s clearly hard for her to be an vampire. Damon stated the obvious: it’s important to have fun, because then you can leave the victims alive, if it gets too serious the blood lust control you instead of you controlling the blood lust. Liked the scene at the porch. Elena will soon realize that she must become like Damon to survive as a vampire and Damon realized that he needs to show Elena that having fun doesn’t mean that she’s a bad person.

subhadeep

Posted at 1:50 AM on November 3, 2012

well ,you are partly right but like Damon said the fun part is a vital aspect as it enables the vampire in question to back off without killing he victim like a ripper does. Think of it like this, if bloodsucking was a process then the fun part is a compulsory portion of Damon’s approach and not an optional one as it forms a vital part in allowing the vampire i n question to maintain his/her mental stability during the during the process and complete the procedure successfully and safely without loss of life. Think of it a like a surgery, there are certain procedures which are vital to the surgical process without which it would be a failure.
Nevertheless, here’s hoping Delena occurs sooner than later. Cheers !

Brittany Preston

Posted at 3:41 AM on November 2, 2012

Why can’t Elena just admit that Damon is the perfect one for her. Stefan might have been better for her in the beginning, but now that she’s a vampire Damon’s better. I really hope they don’t make us wait to long, I’m getting impatient

Juveria

Posted at 3:18 AM on November 2, 2012

I would really like to see elena chase Damon now……..Damon needs to leave her onher own and stop helping her……….she needs to run after Damon now………..Damon deserves that and team elena all the way

Juveria

Posted at 3:19 AM on November 2, 2012

Team delena I meant sorry a typo

Nicole

Posted at 3:17 AM on November 2, 2012

Come on, DELENA WON! why elena at least once in her life can accept that DAMON is right and is better for he? I hope she is the one who breaks up with stephan…

TristanV

Posted at 2:30 AM on November 2, 2012

Whoever said Damon wouldn’t be pining away this season was full of crap. I do not ship Delena or Stelena – I honestly don’t care who she ends up with- but my favorite character has become nothing but a pathetic doormat thus far through season 4 while Stefan dances in between the black and white lines of morality in order to find a cure for his beloved. What happened to the Damon of season 1 returning? What happened to Damon moving on? I don’t know if it’s me, but it seems as though Damon is the most hated character by the writers of this series. Please, if you can, tell me what he’s actually gained in this whole series besides the death of those who actually treated him like a friend. Rose – dead. Andy – dead. Alaric – dead. I’d say Damon deserves an extended vacation, leaving Mystic Falls so people will finally understand how much they need him to make the tough decisions. Oh, and while we’re at it, let’s have him tell Elena that her transition is no longer his problem. Afterall, she did make it abudantly clear that it should have been Stephan with her at that party. Jesus, can we please replace this broken record with one that works?

Xavier

Posted at 2:46 AM on November 2, 2012

You’ve hit the nail on the head! Let’s just do Damon some justice for ONCE! Seriously well said. We need Julie Plec to read this blog and listen to what the fans say to get this show back on track.

mvk

Posted at 1:56 AM on November 2, 2012

The best part about tonight’s show was Klaus and Rebekka.

mvk

Posted at 1:55 AM on November 2, 2012

Damon got the shaft again tonight and his feeling hurt. Elena doesn’t care if she hurts Damon’s feelings, but she never wants to hurt Stefan’s feelings. She didn’t mine telling Damon that she doesn’t want to be a monster like him, but she doesn’t want to hurt Stefan’s feeling by letting him know she can’t stand the bunny blood. Man, Elena is a whimpy, whinny, pain in the ass like Stefan. She just needs to leave Damon alone and go and find some bunnies to suck on. Maybe Damon can find someone to be happy with. I am getting so tire of Elena’s whishy washy ways. I was hoping that she and Damon would finally get together, but now I don’t think she is good enough for Damon. And, she needs to tell Bonnie to back off and mind her own business. Lately, when Bonnie comes on the screen, I get up and go get drinks or something. I’m getting sick of her holy than thou attitude.

subhadeep

Posted at 1:49 AM on November 2, 2012

what can i say? UNFAIR ! That’s the only word which springs to mind when watching this episode. Damon deserves better. he really does and everyone including the writers know that. I just don’t know why they are acting so stupid. Do they want all of us DE fans to act as immature as SE fans and stop watching the show every time a thing which we don’t like happens. If so, they are making a grave mistake because soon their wish might become a reality and the show ( even with the so called SE support ) will be left nowhere because like it or not us DE fans make up about 85-90% of TVD fan base.

Maria

Posted at 5:19 PM on November 2, 2012

i was so upset last night Damon getting hurt again. You are so right about stop watching the show ,like immature SE fans, because they would be no more Show, it was the highest rated show last night ,and that was ,because of all the hype and promos with nothing but damon or damon and elena in it. All the twitters by the director, it would be better delena scene then 3×19, what a laugh, that is the best scene of all three seasons, nothing last night compared to that. But i for one even though a delena fan mostly watch the Show for Damon and Ian.

mimi

Posted at 1:39 AM on November 2, 2012

I think you may have miscalculated the stelena points! So i guess delena won!? XD

SV

Posted at 1:20 AM on November 2, 2012

So that Damon and Elena teaching thing ended much sooner than I anticipated. I thought that was going to drag on for at least an few episodes. I really miss Alaric, and team badass moments. I like it when Damon at least got along with one character consistently from week to week.

Bonnie

Posted at 1:18 AM on November 2, 2012

Elena needs to stop worrying about what everyone else is thinking and just get on being a vampire! God! Damon is always going to be right, she needs to go along for the ride. Maybe she shouldn’t be with either brother for a bit, just go hang out with Caroline and chill. This season is great so far!

CG

Posted at 12:29 AM on November 2, 2012

Team Stelena’s math is a little off… 15 + 15 + 10 = 40 not 50… which i guess means they lost to Delena…

V'

Posted at 1:22 AM on November 2, 2012

I think the whole equation was a little more off than usual this week haha. I’m team DE and this ep definately felt more like a loss than a tie.

Rachel Langrack

Posted at 12:13 AM on November 2, 2012

Shaun

Posted at 11:44 PM on November 1, 2012

I really thought coming up to this episode they were going to start taking the triangle in a different direction so I was a little upset when my least favotire character the bitchywitchy popped up and sent it back on repeat yet again.

I’m really rather worried that the Elena statement about how she doesn’t like how being a vampire makes her feel is in part a referance to increased feelings for Damon. Which may or may not have anything to do with being a Vampire. I wouldn’t put it past the writers having Elena believe its just because shes has Vampy urges that she wants Damon more so she tries to ignore it and lie to herself like she has in all previous seasons about her feelings for Damon. Only to whenever they turn her back into a Human she realizes it wasn’t because she was a Vampire at all! It would be like a season long extension on this triangle that would put her right back into the situation that was the end of season 3. I REALLY hope this isn’t the case. Yet I can’t help shake the feeling that it just may be with the current progression the show has taken with the triangle.

The rest of the episode I really did get into however. TVD should end every episode with a badass beheading. I was so pumped for more haha.

Lillie Spencer

Posted at 11:30 PM on November 1, 2012

The only thing Bonnie and Jeremy Di more than save Elena is short her disappointing stares. I was SO disappointed that Elena once again withered under it and reverted to her old, whiny Stefan-esque self.

Lillie Spencer

Posted at 11:56 PM on November 1, 2012

Dang auto correct… The only thing Jeremy ad Bonnie do more than save Elena is shoot her disapproving stares .

tomkooker

Posted at 12:17 AM on November 2, 2012

The Vampire Diaries Season 4 Episode 4 “The Five”” Watch Full Episode free – http://y.ahoo.it/M6m8j

Lauren

Posted at 11:23 PM on November 1, 2012

Oh for goodness sake the same old story line with Elena and Damon. Move it forward or kill it already! Watching this kind of repetitiveness is like being stranded in the ocean some where left to tread water. What a long build up (to get the audience to see Damons point of view and root for he and elena) only to have the writers devote way to much story to cause the same watchers to get sick of the other two characters of the love triangle. Of course there were some great qualities about this episode. For Instance the quality of acting with Klaus and Rebecca is certainly one of them. The scene where she let Klaus have it was a bravo moment. Furthermore, to see the single tear Kluas shed just before doing what he felt he had to do, was perfection. This is the first time I have ever commented on a television show and even now I cannot believe I am doing it. The level of disappointment (for me at least) with these last few episodes between the love triangle are killing my taste for the show. It’s been to many years of build up for this kind of let down. Someone mentioned Bonnie being a weenie for being such a bad friend. I agree. BOnnie has become (for me) just another character to get tired of, she has the room to be so judgmental because…? So you guys go ahead, put a bad taste in our mouth for one more character and who will we tune in for? At this point I tune in for Damon, however it is starting to get tiresome to see nothing good happening for this guy. Perhaps I should stop watching for a few weeks and read the recaps until I read something that puts the spark back.

Xavier

Posted at 12:25 AM on November 2, 2012

Well said. I promised myself I would stop watching the show after the finale from last season, because of being let down by the writing. But I got sucked back in by the hope that the writers would bring something new to the table, to revitalize the love triangle or at least offer a different perspective on it, now that Elena is a vampire. All I feel is overwhelming disappointment as each episode pushes Damon and Elena further apart with no character growth on either side. Damon is the only reason I watch anymore, but like you said, even Ian can’t keep the weight of the show on his shoulders. Where is the character development?! Everyone is just as whiny as they were before. But now we have to watch it on repeat. Stefan being sensitive, Damon being the outcast, Elena being coddled, Bonnie being judgy, Rebekkah being a love struck fool, Matt being dull and oh yes, Klaus not being badass enough. He’s the biggest baddest evil, and no one is afraid of him! I love Klaus and Damon, those two would be a fantastic team together, but instead we get Klaus and Stefan buddying up again.
Now the writers are throwing in “the cure”, gee I wonder what will happen? Sigh, after this lack luster episode, I’m going to move on to another show. Like you, I’ll read the recaps and come back when the show gets its mojo back.

Tiracai Blue

Posted at 12:31 AM on November 2, 2012

Point well taken. I could not agree more I have always loved Damon’s character. I want him to get Elena, not because I like her character, because cant stand her,but rather because Damon has the most depth and heart of all the characters on the show and I would like to see him get the girl for once! His character is the ONLY reason I ever got into the show and kept watching.

Xavier

Posted at 12:36 AM on November 2, 2012

That’s exactly how I feel. Damon deserves some happiness, and if he wants Elena, then he should get her, despite my opinion of her…which is pretty low and getting lower.

Dina

Posted at 12:59 AM on November 2, 2012

You are right. I am very disappointed too. What Julie Plec and other writers have done and will continue to do is to have some Delena scenes so that Delena fans will keep watching. Well, You are being fooled. Nothing will come out of the Delena pairing except to spice things up. The Stelena pairing is nothing, if not very boring, no spark and no chemistry at all. Every Delena fans I’m sure have been very disappointed from Season 1 until the recent episode. You will continue to be disappointed until the end of the series whenever it ends. My advise to all of you is stop watching TVD now so that the series will end the soonest possible time. I’ll assure you you will not miss anything except Damon. The biggest fan base or TV audience of the show are Damon’s (Ian’s) fans. I’m sure if you heed my advise the TV rating of the show will significantly dropped. Let us show these TVD executives that they cannot fool us anymore. If they won’t listen to what majority of the viewers want for the show, then why do we keep watching. For me, Season 4 episode 4 is the last episode that I will watch. I hope avid damon’s fans and Delena’s fans will stop watching this show now.

Jessica

Posted at 11:17 PM on November 1, 2012

I fear that they’ll somehow use the cure on Klaus to turn him back human so they can kill him, which would be so disappointing because Joseph Morgan is the best part of the show!

Clare

Posted at 10:54 PM on November 1, 2012

Round and round, this is getting tiresome. I really can’t be bothered watching a show that uses my favorite character and constantly treats him like crap. Enough is enough. We need a break from this predictable and repetitve cycle.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:57 PM on November 1, 2012

I won’t lie — as much as I love me some romantic tension, I’m growing tired of the triangle too.

loiz

Posted at 10:49 PM on November 1, 2012

stelena!!! :)

amy

Posted at 10:46 PM on November 1, 2012

So much excitement . Loved this episode. Come on wake Bex up. Elena was awesome. She could really lose it, better watch out. The flashback was great. Can’t wait for next week!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:58 PM on November 1, 2012

lol I actually forgot about him stabbing Bex as I was writing this. I was too focused on her love for Matt!

Angel

Posted at 10:45 PM on November 1, 2012

I was trying not to hate Bonnie for all that she’s done, but then I just lost it tonight. Literally, she knows how bad Elena feels about herself already, and then she pops in, gives her best judgmental face, and basically tells her “best friend” that she’s wrong in every way imaginable. Damon is right and Damon has always been right. Elena was having fun, she was controlling herself, and he was there to stop her if something happened. Because as much as Stefan doesn’t want Elena to experience the pain of killing someone, he will never care as much as Damon does. This episode just made me angry and heartbroken for Damon on so many levels. Especially at the end. The porch is sacred territory and the writer’s basically took a crap on it at the end. Thanks.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:58 PM on November 1, 2012

Bonnie = the WORST

Xavier

Posted at 12:32 AM on November 2, 2012

Agreed! Elena was doing great! No one died or was left in peril, Damon was showing her the fun side of being a vampire. Who here hasn’t done a happy dance after eating an amazing meal?! So what if its human blood, that’s what vampires are, and Damon is a much better vampire than Stefan because he accepts what he is. I can’t stand the way that all the characters gang up on Damon, and how the writers are treating him. Elena doesn’t show her love for him at all, she was kinder and more attracted to him last season, and that’s when she wasn’t a vampire that has all her emotions heightened! Wtf? Seriously, the writers are not taking her to the level she should be. If she felt “something” for Damon as a human and kissed him so passionately my tv practically blew up, then as a vampire that “like” would be “love” and a kiss would be an all out assault! Well…so much for that. Being let down is a way of life for Delena fans, but I’m not even judging harshly because I like Damon, I’m criticizing because the writing is just not hooking me in anymore. Season 1 and 2 were sizzling! The characters grew and changed. This season its just blah blah blah and I’m just bored now.

Tiracai Blue

Posted at 12:35 AM on November 2, 2012

Indeed. They did violate the porch. Makes me even more pissy about this crappy episode!

Brittany Preston

Posted at 3:52 AM on November 2, 2012

I know. Bonnie has been annoying me lately, but tonight just made me hate her with her stupid disapproving face. Elena was in control and more importantly having fun, which she is allowed to do and should do. Next time Elena and Damon should leave Bonnie at home.

anam

Posted at 10:40 PM on November 1, 2012

I honestly have no idea what the writers r doing with show, the whole concept is just getting redundant now. Elena is really making me hate her, if she is going to be all guilt-ridden about herself then just let her be with Stefan. She seriously needs to get her act straight n pull herself together. Julie is really playing with fire right now, she needs to fix things up otherwise she is going to lose alot of fans.

CM

Posted at 10:56 PM on November 1, 2012

They are holding onto dear life to keep people interested in SE, even if that means no growth for Elena.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:59 PM on November 1, 2012

Even as a DE fan, I don’t think they’re treating SE fairly. Or, at the very least, they’re making Elena look like a slut.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:00 PM on November 1, 2012

The triangle is, admittedly, the weakest part of the show right now. Everything else is really intriguing!

LE

Posted at 10:13 PM on November 1, 2012

This episode made me hate Elena. Good job, writers.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:59 PM on November 1, 2012

Yeah, she kind of sucks.

Becky Quayle (@QuayleBLea)

Posted at 11:05 PM on November 1, 2012

I agree..this episode really made me hate Elena and everyone that hates on Damon. I think he should just leave town and stop being there for Elena everytime she needs him to “help” her.

Xavier

Posted at 12:35 AM on November 2, 2012

Yeah, why should he stick around? To watch the girl he loves be with his brother. To fight with Stefan, be judged by all their teen friends? If I were Damon I would just leave, screw them. He has no friends in that town, and his heart has been broken enough by Elena to last 100 years. Damon deserves better!