Two Kids Die After Being Ripped From Mom’s Arms In Hurricane

Thu, November 1, 2012 6:11pm EDT by 100 Comments
Hurricane Sandy Boys Bodies Found
Handout Photo, Courtesy of NBC

The mom of two Staten Island boys begged neighbors for help after her boys were swept away by Hurricane Sandy — only to have the door slammed in her face. Read on for the tragic details.

After searching for Brandon Moore, 2, and his brother Corey Moore, 4, police found the bodies of the two boys just yards from where they went missing. Their mother Glenda Moore, 39, spent 12 hours screaming for help after they were ripped from her arms during the hurricane — and no one would help.

Just before 6 p.m. on Oct. 29, Glenda’s car got stuck in the road right as the hurricane was hitting Staten Island. The floodwaters overpowered her vehicle, and even though Glenda tried to hold on to her boys, they got sucked away by the rushing water.

When they disappeared, the frantic mom kicked on a neighbor’s door for help — but was turned away.

“I can’t believe the way she was treated by the people she went to for help,” Glenda’s cousin Nancy Jean told NBC.

“The first person she knocked on, she begged them and said, ‘please call 911. They told her: ‘I don’t know you,’ and closed the door. She tried another door but they turned the lights off,” she said. “I can’t imagine what she was thinking then. She sat down for 12 hours and was just screaming. She was out of it. When it got to morning she went and found a police car and told him what happened.”

After the storm cleared and police could search for the bodies, they found the brothers just 30 yards from where they went missing, buried under water and covered in trees in debris.

“Terrible, absolutely terrible,” police commissioner Ray Kelly said. “It just compounds all the tragic aspects of this horrific event.”

Such a tragedy. Our thoughts are with Glenda and her family during this difficult time.

What do YOU think of what happened to Glenda and her boys HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Hurricane Sandy news:

1. Miracle Babies Born As Hurricane Sandy Hits & Knocks Out Power
  2. The Tragic Young Women Who’ve Died In Hurricane Sandy
  3. Two Children Killed By Fallen Tree During Hurricane Sandy — So Sad

Kim

Posted at 8:34 PM on November 4, 2012

This is a terribly sad story…but as a mom I can’t imagine (1) ever leaving the shelter of my home in the middle of a hurricane…especially if there were higher floors to got to and (2) I can’t imagine not following my children as they were swept away. Yes people panic…but if this mom was a nurse she certainly had training on how to manage chaios and dangerous situations. Not to mention, a mother’s instinct to save or attempt to save your children she have kicked in…those babies were 30 yards away from her…thumbs up to Jessica…I would have let go of the tree!!!

Nancy

Posted at 1:46 PM on November 4, 2012

@Jenny and @Vince…I’m from NJ and was hit with Sandy, but not as hard as some. The story was that the mom left her Staten Island home when the floodwaters were rising to go to be with family in Brooklyn. She packed her truck and started driving, but the waters were rising so fast that she had to leave the car with her sons or drown in her truck. She carried the 2 yr old and held the hand of her 4 year old. While trying to escape, the waters swept her sons away. She went crazy looking for them, climbing fences and anything she could. She knocked on a house to call 411, but was turned away by a man saying “I don’t know you” and slammed the door in her face. She went to the back of the house and try to break a window for help and safety. She held onto a post on a porch until she found help. Her sons were found 30 yards away where they were taken by the water and pinned by debris and drowned. Anderson Cooper had a reporter go to the same neighbors house to ask him why he would turn someone away in such conditions, but he failed to answer. The homeowner eventually answered saying that “it was a man knocking on the door and not a women” and that he was in shorts and slippers and couldn’t do anything. Should it matter if it was a man or woman that needed help in such horrid conditions? I hope karma gets the homeowner good!

Laurie

Posted at 1:27 PM on November 4, 2012

Academic…Why do you call me stupid, when all I was doing was offering a possible explanation as to why people were not opening their doors to her?

Jenny

Posted at 6:56 PM on November 3, 2012

I still do not know what really happened. Why was she out with the boys and why could she not hold on to them? Why wasn’t she swepted away?
Why wait 12 hours ……just screaming…….Why did she not try to find a police officer?
Does anyone know the true story? The boys were only thirty yards from where she lost them? Sorry folks but too many unanswered questions?
There should be an investigation. May these boys rest in peace.

Vince

Posted at 8:45 AM on November 4, 2012

Something is not right about this story. I feel this story is impossible and has many holes in it. You decide take your kids out at 6PM on moday just as the storm fully hits NY. You bring your children to an area where the tide waters have become very violent and are obviously crashing. The tide takes both of your children but not you. After these people did not help her she screamed for 12 hours, not call her husband like she did previously when the water got in her car. The kids are 30 feet from where they were supposedly taken. This does not sound right.

Nancy

Posted at 1:43 PM on November 4, 2012

Mary

Posted at 5:23 PM on November 4, 2012

Yes this is a true story and from what we’ve heard she is a nurse and she was called in to help at the hospital. She was on her way there and to drop off her boys. And really, in a major storm when most people have taken cover, and under those conditions exactly where was she supposed to find a police officer? And have you ever been just in total and complete shock? Apparently not. Don’t judge her. You’re as bad as the people who wouldn’t help her or even call 911.

Danna

Posted at 5:42 PM on November 3, 2012

I hope the home owner sues the crap out of the station which reported the story. They dont even have the story correct and they discussing criminal action against this guy. The boys were already gone when this mother pounded on his door. She asked him to come out and help, not to come in with her two sons. And how do we know he did not call 911?! She was probably so frantic she was not making a lot of sense. He was probably freaked out. In any case, he did what he was told to do by authorities – stay in the house!!! What could he have done? Did any of you see the interview, he though she was a man. She broke his window and then asked him to come out. I would have been terrified by some crazy man/woman out in a storm shrieking at me. This woman made a tragic mistake, but it was her mistake, not his. Stop crucifying this poor man!!

Brenda

Posted at 12:12 AM on November 4, 2012

Yes I did watch the whole interview and he said ” what could I do I was wearing my brothers coat and flip flops ” well let’s see you could try being human and let this person in the first time she asked. Although attempted she did not succeed in breaking his back door, she was desperate! I agree she made a huge mistake that she will never forget but he acted inhuman! I am a southern women and in the south you help regardless. I was in a flood before and thanks to 3 strangers myself and my kid’s made it out. I watched the entire interview and he had a lousy excuse for not helping, again ” I had on my brothers coat and a pair of flip flops ” really! Instead of coming up with such a ignorant excuse that sounds so bizarre he should have just been honest and said ” I’m heartless ” He should have just let her in when she asked the first time.

Jen

Posted at 8:08 AM on November 10, 2012

I’m… How about call 911? I’m quite sure if this woman were white he would have done something. And before you accuse me of playing the race card, I’m white. Doesn’t take a genius to see this was race related.

paulalovescats

Posted at 1:08 PM on November 3, 2012

They were dead the second they were torn away. You don’t go out in the worst of a hurricane. As usual people will make this about color. Thousands of people were in danger at that minute. What would calling 911 have done? I’m not going into rushing water to save 2 little boys who are already drowned.

Bee Bee (@xkittenmittenx)

Posted at 2:06 PM on November 3, 2012

Good to see someone with common sense!

khisha gillham

Posted at 10:53 AM on November 4, 2012

what a heartless person you are? miss paulalovescats if i can say that. i hope you don’t have children. and if you do imagine it was them. It is so refreshing to know that you exits!

Sam

Posted at 6:33 PM on November 5, 2012

Liked your comment until the end, what a cold soul you have.

Marie Davila

Posted at 10:34 AM on November 3, 2012

Although people thought this storm was gonna be like Irene we were well informed about the severity of this storm still if someone knock on your door for shelter be a human being and let them in now you will have to answer to a higher being good luck with that and I hope these parents find peace in prayer

KK

Posted at 8:21 AM on November 3, 2012

She should not have brought the children out at the height of the storm. It would obviously have been safer to go to the highest level of the building they were in. This is a terrible tragedy but to blame others for her bad decision won’t help. So sad may the children rest in peace!

Mary

Posted at 5:28 PM on November 4, 2012

Again, judging without facts…. she was a nurse and on her way to take the boys to her sisters because she had been called in to work. She wasn’t leaving just then or joyriding. It wasn’t bad judgment. She was actually going to HELP OTHERS.

meynard

Posted at 1:29 AM on November 3, 2012

To the babies I say rest in peace and to mommy I ask God to keep her in perfect peace. as well as all others that are affectted by this tragedy.

casey clark

Posted at 11:12 PM on November 2, 2012

My heart goes out to this family. I cannot imagine how they will mend from this. I wish the media would get the story correct though. It is unclear whether she went for help once the boys were away from her or while they were still with her. Admitedly, this os not really the point, but it would help explain why some people may have been reluctant to help. If she was with her boys, they hopefully would have provided temporary help and shelter. If they were not with her, I cant hold people at fault for not wanting to risk their lives to look for the boys. It is so sad and tragic for all involved. Mothers will do anything for their kids and I can only imagine what this Mom was going through. So sad.

Tonya

Posted at 10:50 PM on November 2, 2012

Sad story here…. But this is not the first hurricane to hit the U.S. People need to leave days before not while its hitting the shore. now everyone that didn’t leave wants help and nobody’s coming…. Get the HELL out of there poeple. When will people learn that you have to get out of harms way??

Sabra

Posted at 9:20 PM on November 2, 2012

I saw the man on the news who wouldn’t help, He acted like a man from the east maybe Iran or in that area. He was wrong and he knows that. So sad about the whole east coast mess.

Shanna

Posted at 10:14 PM on November 2, 2012

With all do respect to the mother who lost her children,l give my sincere condolences to her and her family. It is truly a very sad and devastating situation to be in.
Sabra you are one ignorant human being for throwing out an ethnic background just by seeing this person on T.V. People like you are the ones who suck the oxygen and positive energy from this world. Shame on you, Shame on you. Keep your hatred locked inside.

Michele

Posted at 11:06 AM on November 3, 2012

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bee Bee (@xkittenmittenx)

Posted at 2:08 PM on November 3, 2012

Wow, what a racist comment.

Renita

Posted at 7:10 PM on November 2, 2012

Are all these people commenting realize that if your house is filling up with water then why would a mother of two stay in a house that is flooding. So for people saying that we should have stayed in a water filled house is crazy. You wanted them to drown and die in their house instead of trying to make drive to safety. Most of you are right most Americans are heartless, souless, and I hope that they will never experience what this mother has gone through. May GOD love and keep her in her time of tragedy.

Peggy

Posted at 6:20 PM on November 2, 2012

All I can say is that Im glad I live in Canada…I grew up in a small community just outside Gander Newfoundland. This is a very sad story, I cant believe people can be so heartless..R.I.P Little children, God will take care of you now..

Johnson Thomas

Posted at 6:11 PM on November 2, 2012

I don’t see what’s wrong here. The government said stay inside, the women was not requesting shelter, but was requesting someone come outside to look for the kids in the middle of a hurricane. The homeowner heeded the government’s warning and probably saved their life. Case closed.

Renita

Posted at 7:06 PM on November 2, 2012

What is wrong here is that a mom lost her children and if you had any children or a human soul then you would know what it feels like to lose a life, love, or child. So since you don’t I hope that you should no not to blame her or the damn government for this tragedy. You Sir are heartless Jerk my GOD have mercy on you when it is your time to DIE.

Ashia

Posted at 12:52 AM on November 3, 2012

How does the saying go…..ahhhh…..if you do not having nothing nice to say or type……keep it to yourself
I am sure you have love ones, and they are not perfect, and it something like this was to happen to one of them, you would not want such a heartless comment posted

Bee Bee (@xkittenmittenx)

Posted at 2:11 PM on November 3, 2012

I agree Johnson, well put!!

Brenda

Posted at 2:25 PM on November 3, 2012

To Thomas Johnson it is clear that you are ignorant! Everyone makes mistakes and this mom did just that. This man could have helped her the first time she knocked by simply letting her come inside with her children. Instead he turned them away and now the boys are dead…that’s all on him and one day he will find himself in the same position when he himself will need help and I can only pray that the door he knocks on is not yours because judging from your comment you are just as heartless as he is. It doesn’t matter that she didn’t leave because the last thing she did was ask him to let her children come inside and he refused so his last actions take all fault!

Yvonne Dennis

Posted at 4:29 PM on November 2, 2012

I think there is racism involved here. The man’s story seems incredulous. If she had been Anglo, he probably would have let her in. He has no humanity. Racism is a killer!

gofish

Posted at 3:27 PM on November 2, 2012

Its unfortunate and sad. She will be clinically insane after this. Having to think about this everyday forever is the real punishment. I think this woman will end up putting a bullet in her head.

Mark H

Posted at 7:31 PM on November 2, 2012

Sadly you’re right, the rest of her life will be a living nightmare, I wouldnt be able to go on living

Sam

Posted at 6:36 PM on November 5, 2012

Neither could I :( That poor woman. My heart breaks for her and those babies.

Samantha

Posted at 3:18 PM on November 2, 2012

Your article names the oldest boy to be “Corey” but the picture caption reads Connor. You should probably fix this immediately.

Such a sad sad story. May those boys rest in peace.

Tammy

Posted at 2:51 PM on November 2, 2012

Very sad situation. I cannot imagine the loss. The news is making it sound like she knocked on door for shelter for herself and kids BEFORE they were separated. That would make the homeowner a complete monster if he said no. As for asking him to come out and risk his own life to help rescue the boys, that is a decision only he could make.

chelsea

Posted at 2:27 PM on November 2, 2012

That so mean that no one would help her :( :(

shane tra

Posted at 2:11 PM on November 2, 2012

Would I have gone out to help this woman look for her children? Yes. Would I have wanted my ADULT CHILDREN to go out and look for these boys? NO. Because just think how deep this ocean water must have been, if this woman and her children had to get out of the car in the first place. Remember the Asian tsunami. Moving water is powerful stuff, and so are high winds, and so is moving debris. Moving water can carry you away and you could be crushed by debris. I wouldn’t want my adult children killed looking for small children that could take hours to find, if at all–and might already be dead when found, or perhaps already safe (remember that a policeman drowned trying to ‘rescue’ his father, only his father had already safely made his way to higher ground).

But I don’t fault the mother of these 2 boys. We all make mistakes. Her house was flooding, she was driving to her sister’s home. Yes, she would have been wiser to evacuate, but hindsight is always 100%. She didn’t want her children to die. But I don’t want my children to die, either.

Mary

Posted at 5:25 PM on November 4, 2012

Just so you know, she wasn’t just driving to her sisters house. She is a nurse and had been called in to work at a local hospital. It wasn’t that she just decided suddenly to go to her sisters.

Mariza

Posted at 1:59 PM on November 2, 2012

That is sooo sad but why were people on the road when the hurricane hit. :/

Lauren

Posted at 3:08 PM on November 2, 2012

This HAPPEND a few blocks from where I live where she lived the ocean 2 or 3 blocks away. She was trying to leave the house. To go away from the water approaching. We lost 18ppl on Staten Island so far.

heartles

Posted at 1:53 PM on November 2, 2012

Is America really this heartless?

MS

Posted at 12:31 PM on November 2, 2012

I know that she should have evacuated………but aren’t we missing the bigger issue here? Two babies are dead possibly because neighbors could not help her because they did not know her? Come on America……….I think that this a tragedy on so many fronts.

CG

Posted at 11:43 AM on November 2, 2012

I feel horrible for her and her family, but she should have evacuated when told to do so. You don’t wait until the 12th hour to leave home in conditions like this.

Krystina

Posted at 12:23 PM on November 2, 2012

I agree!!!!! TERRIBLE what happened but next time people need to take it more serious when the mayor is telling you that it is mandatory to GET OUT!!!! I can not even imagine what that woman is going to have to face the rest of her life.

Krystina

Posted at 12:29 PM on November 2, 2012

and to the person that shut her away. I hope they live the rest of their lives with guilt and putty. You are a DISGRACE!!!!!

Gram

Posted at 12:30 PM on November 2, 2012

Many decided to ride out the storm. This should not have been a consequence of that. Your response shows how heartless you are. I pray for your sake that something like this does not happen to you or yours… rebuke the SATAN and find GOD! only an cold hearted, immature …let me stop…

jessica

Posted at 9:46 PM on November 2, 2012

First off….if my Children got swept away out of my arms i would have let go of that damn tree weather i was able to save them or not but at least i would have died trying. it says in the article that the man did not let her in and she went out back to try and break in but could not…..she could have gotten into the house if she really wanted too. tradgedy but this story does not sound right.

Mary