Two Kids Die After Being Ripped From Mom’s Arms In Hurricane

Thu, November 1, 2012 6:11pm EDT by 100 Comments
Hurricane Sandy Boys Bodies Found
Handout Photo, Courtesy of NBC

The mom of two Staten Island boys begged neighbors for help after her boys were swept away by Hurricane Sandy — only to have the door slammed in her face. Read on for the tragic details.

After searching for Brandon Moore, 2, and his brother Corey Moore, 4, police found the bodies of the two boys just yards from where they went missing. Their mother Glenda Moore, 39, spent 12 hours screaming for help after they were ripped from her arms during the hurricane — and no one would help.

Just before 6 p.m. on Oct. 29, Glenda’s car got stuck in the road right as the hurricane was hitting Staten Island. The floodwaters overpowered her vehicle, and even though Glenda tried to hold on to her boys, they got sucked away by the rushing water.

When they disappeared, the frantic mom kicked on a neighbor’s door for help — but was turned away.

“I can’t believe the way she was treated by the people she went to for help,” Glenda’s cousin Nancy Jean told NBC.

“The first person she knocked on, she begged them and said, ‘please call 911. They told her: ‘I don’t know you,’ and closed the door. She tried another door but they turned the lights off,” she said. “I can’t imagine what she was thinking then. She sat down for 12 hours and was just screaming. She was out of it. When it got to morning she went and found a police car and told him what happened.”

After the storm cleared and police could search for the bodies, they found the brothers just 30 yards from where they went missing, buried under water and covered in trees in debris.

“Terrible, absolutely terrible,” police commissioner Ray Kelly said. “It just compounds all the tragic aspects of this horrific event.”

Such a tragedy. Our thoughts are with Glenda and her family during this difficult time.

What do YOU think of what happened to Glenda and her boys HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Hurricane Sandy news:

1. Miracle Babies Born As Hurricane Sandy Hits & Knocks Out Power
  2. The Tragic Young Women Who’ve Died In Hurricane Sandy
  3. Two Children Killed By Fallen Tree During Hurricane Sandy — So Sad

mirah

Posted at 11:02 AM on November 2, 2012

I felt so bad that that people refuse to help her, I hope she can find some kind of therapy over this. I couldn’t imagine If there were my kids slipping away just in the blink of my eye. Horrible!!!!God blessed her. Where’s the husband anyway????

I'm just saying...

Posted at 10:58 AM on November 2, 2012

This ripped my hurt to shreds!!! Why would someone be so cruel and inconsiderate? Why wouldn’t they help her? what if they did and those poor precious kids would’ve survived? I can not imagine the pain she is feeling right now. This is so sad!

mirah

Posted at 10:52 AM on November 2, 2012

I felt so bad of what happened specially to those two young boys, but the thing that puzzled me? There was an evacuation alert on the area, how in the hell that she risking her life and her son’s life by driving that time of the day?????When you hear a tsunami warning, you don’t play around, specially when there’s a children involve.I would think this people would learn about what happen in Japan.If it was me??? The minute I would hear a tsunami warning I would just pack a back pack of food for the kids and holla my behind to the higher ground I can find. You should think very quick just for the sake of your children.

Sauve

Posted at 1:17 PM on November 2, 2012

Two children dead and inconsiderate bastard(s) let them die! Why??Good samariton….naught. Vigilant justice will take care of him,someone kill and burn down his house-send a message.

Nicole Kelly

Posted at 10:41 AM on November 2, 2012

They weren’t “ripped out of her arms”. She put them on the roof of the car when it stalled & a wave came & swept them off. She was irresponsible to try to drive to a shelter in the middle of the storm.

Renee

Posted at 10:20 AM on November 2, 2012

This woman is already distraught and sick over this. You don’t think she FEELS this loss on a level that’s unfathomable to us?
Think before you post people.
These people don’t deserve to be your gossip on theninternet and your target of the day.

john smith

Posted at 9:29 AM on November 2, 2012

New York scum!

Caitlyn

Posted at 8:51 AM on November 2, 2012

I don’t care if there was tornado outside I would help that woman, I can’t believe someone would slam the door in her face…. could have at least called the police. I’ve never been to New York, but I know where I am in Canada everyone would have been out helping this woman.

JMO

Posted at 8:31 AM on November 2, 2012

I can’t believe some of the comments I am reading. You guys can’t be serious. She was looking for help.

Ksjo06

Posted at 8:30 AM on November 2, 2012

Um, it’s Staten Island….need I say more? I live in Myrtle Beach and we Always get tourists from up North and 95% of them are stuck up and rude. My prayers are with this woman and family.

MarieTree

Posted at 4:25 AM on November 2, 2012

She was an idiot for being out in the first place. I can’t believe everyone is blaming the person who didn’t come to the door during a hurricane. He was doing what he was supposed to be doing…remaining indoors and who knows who could have been at that door. She should be arrested for child neglect…manslaughter…etc You don’t take your children out for a drive along the coast as a very bad hurricane is approaching. Moron. Those poor children are dead because of HER stupidity.

JMO

Posted at 8:32 AM on November 2, 2012

You are a bigger idiot for saying what you just said.

RedDonnaAnn

Posted at 8:33 AM on November 2, 2012

How do you know she was “out for a drive”? How do you know why she was where she was? I hope you don’t have kids, don’t ever have kids and don’t work with kids. I also hope you never need help from a stranger. It must be so nice to be so, so right and smug and arrogant.

Academic

Posted at 10:52 AM on November 2, 2012

You are an idiot and a very ignorant one for posting this. My prayers are with this poor woman who is going through what no mother should have to go through. My prayers are with her and her family

mirah

Posted at 10:56 AM on November 2, 2012

I’m with you Marie Tree, I just didn’t understand that part. Why is she driving during that time?????

love

Posted at 11:35 AM on November 2, 2012

KEEP YOUR STUPID COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!!!! YOU LOSER!!@ MARIETREE AND YOU MIGHT JUST LOOK LIKE A TREE UGLY JUST LIKE YOUR COMMENT

Laurie

Posted at 3:03 AM on November 2, 2012

Kelly M…oh my god are you stupid…I didn’t say she wanted to break in after her kids went missing!! I said people could have THOUGHT she was part of a ploy to rob the house or harm them. She could have been PRETENDING to do this…stranger things have happened!

JMO

Posted at 8:33 AM on November 2, 2012

Don’t forget to include Marie Tree in the list of stupid people

Caitlyn

Posted at 8:51 AM on November 2, 2012

Why because she was black?

Love

Posted at 2:14 AM on November 2, 2012

Everyone has an opinion meanwhile none of you are in her shoes, ain’t that the way it always goes

Ala

Posted at 2:12 AM on November 2, 2012

Shame on us all as a human race, someone cried out for help and all people can think of is maybe she was trying to rob the place. We don’t need to know the details we just know she asked for help and plenty of people denied her that help and she lost her two children. Shame on those people, I pray the same help doesn’t get denied to you in any circumstance.

Kelly M.

Posted at 2:07 AM on November 2, 2012

What the hell is wrong with those people who refused to help her? Thats what i wanna know. I have a 4 year old myself and this story just makes me sick to my stomach. I agree with some of you when you say that she should have evacuated right away or stayed inside like the neighbors but I am not by any means saying she deserved losing her kids. It truly is a heart breaking story. My condolences goes out to the family during this tragic loss. Rest in peace Connor and Brandon.

james

Posted at 1:14 AM on November 2, 2012

I love how people have their own “Philosophies” and I use that term lightly about what happened…. But like they say until it happens to you that’s when you’ll care…. So to all the people who condemned this woman… I pray when you are in a bad situation… oh but that would never happen because apparently everyone of you are perfect…. I hope someone has a heart to help you.

Laurie

Posted at 12:24 AM on November 2, 2012

Kimberly Davies – so what you are saying, is that because this woman was a stupid idiot, someone else should go out into the HURRICANE and put THEIR lives in danger?? You’ve go to be kidding me!!! They certainly shouldn’t be prosecuted FOR ANYTHING!! I wouldn’t have opened my door to this raving lunatic either. People were out trying to burglarize homes, etc., and for all those people knew, she could have been part of a ploy to get into their homes.

Kelly M.

Posted at 2:15 AM on November 2, 2012

Ok right she wanted to break into their home and rob them after her boys went missing, that makes sense! Actually not really, it just shows you’re racist. They didn’t help her most likely because of her color, and you are doing the exact same thing, you minus well say she deserved it because you obviously have no heart and if i was in her situation and some loud mouth snob like you were to reply like that, i’m sure someone out there would do what i’m doing. Seriously, none of us know EXACTLY what happened, and that includes you too.

Academic

Posted at 10:55 AM on November 2, 2012

Laurie, you are stupid as Marie Tree. Shame on you.

Renee

Posted at 11:29 PM on November 1, 2012

Its easy to judge this woman when you know nothing except what you read in the paper. You have no idea why she was there or what happened. A newspaper article never tells the whole story. All I can say is I hope you are never put to the test by losing your babies and having to live with that loss.
Only on statem island!

RosaVera

Posted at 11:07 PM on November 1, 2012

Though what i don’t understand is what was she doing driving with her babies when all others were indoors with their family…? Why would she put her children in danger driving knowing of the incoming storm…???

RosaVera

Posted at 11:05 PM on November 1, 2012

It is sad and so wrong not to help this poor woman… her babies were found so close they could have been saved…

Liz

Posted at 11:00 PM on November 1, 2012

I’m so sorry about this tragic lost. But from what I understand, she did not listen and evacuate from the beginning and sadly it’s the most innocent who paid the price. Then, she wants to beg strangers at the height of the storm and water surge to risk their lives to save two little boys who sadly were already unsaveable. She didn’t get help because most everyone had evacuated like they were told and others prob couldn’t hear her screams over wind and water. It’s very sad regardless but had she not gone out at the worst part of the storm her little boys could still be alive. It’s leave or stay put. People in that area said it was their basements that flooded. Where was the dad?! If a panicked person knocked like crazy after I lost electricity and was in amist of a hurricane, I won’t lie…. I’d be guarded too. Though, at the least I would have called 911 to report it though I doubt I would have gotten through the lines. They said emergency calls were 10,000 every 30 minutes. You have to make decisions when your govt tells you it’s bad and leave. I’m a Katrina survivor and I thought the nation learned from levees failing that you don’t mess around when you live by the water even if you thought you would be safe. Your family is worth more.

Möbius trip

Posted at 9:57 PM on November 1, 2012

She should have left when told. Plus, who is stupid enough to drive in/into water like that. She should’ve drowned as well.

hiiilll@hotmail.com

Posted at 11:03 PM on November 1, 2012

You are a sick, disgusting animal. May you rot in hell for your insensitivity you lowlife bastard

james

Posted at 1:15 AM on November 2, 2012

you should have drown as well.

Gracie

Posted at 9:58 AM on November 2, 2012

You are a fu%^in’ fool!

Mobia

Posted at 9:00 PM on November 1, 2012

She should have left when they said to leave…ESPECIALLY with 2 young children…her selfishness left her childless

james

Posted at 1:16 AM on November 2, 2012

Selfish how??? Explain your logic?

Kimberly Davies

Posted at 8:35 PM on November 1, 2012

Unbelieveable the people who did not help her should be prosecuted for that! I can’t think of anything more tragic. This poor mother. I don’t know how she could even begin to cope. It doesn’t take much effort to pick of the phone and dial 911. They wouldn’t even do that.

TrinaMack Kafley

Posted at 8:14 PM on November 1, 2012

What a disgrace to how the people turned her away in the midst of a storm! Why? Those people know who they are and I know they have seen this story across the news. I got chills over my body just hearing it told let alone having to be that mother and went through her ordeal. I’m a mother of 4 kids, I also have a 4yr old and can imagine that she fought hard to keep a tight hold onto them both. I am deeply saddened that this is the type of world we live in. I need to know WHY in the hell did those people refuse her HELP!!!! I am so pissed off. How can you do that? Maybe had they been found ASAP they would have had some type of chance of survival but these were innocent babies and she needed help trying to get to safety. This America is sad. People are quick to turn you away by something simple as the color of your skin, religious preference or homosexuality. Y’all better recognize that there is a higher power who will one day judge YOU! Be careful who you hurt cause sometimes God will send people to you to see just “what would you do!”Let’s pray for this mothers strength and that God will cover her and her babies in His blood…

mags

Posted at 9:28 PM on November 1, 2012

this is a complete discrace i am ashamed to call myself a new yorker, i cant believe thaat anyone would turn away a person in need during a storm like that i dont give a damm what your skin color is we are all humun beings this makes me phycially ill

Cathy Cook

Posted at 7:30 PM on November 1, 2012

How sad that nobody came to the aid of this young mum, especially after hearing other stories of people helping each other! I can’t even begin to imagine how she feels! :-((

Laura Hall

Posted at 9:21 AM on November 2, 2012

As a fellow New Yorker from Poughkeepsie, this really disgusts me. What have we become? Are we that selfish and self absorbed? Some of your comments make me ashamed of what the human race has become. It does not matter what she was doing out in the storm, those children were still innocent. I just hope some of you self absorbed people never find yourself in need of help….karma is a real b*tch.

Mike

Posted at 11:34 AM on November 2, 2012

I hope they get the people who turned her away. I would have no problem putting a bullet in their heads and sleeping like a baby.

John Dagne

Posted at 12:03 PM on November 2, 2012

But……this could be karma, for something the woman did. We don’t know.