90210 Scoop: Riley Smith Says Annie ‘Finally Met Her Match’ With Riley

Mon, October 29, 2012 12:59pm EDT by 50 Comments
Riley Smith 90210
Courtesy of The CW (3)

Plus, Riley has a special message for ‘Lannie’ fans: ‘They’re going to get what they want, but … they need to enjoy the ride.’

For the record, Riley Smith knew that joining 90210 as a love interest for Annie (Shenae Grimes) was going to be an “uphill battle.” Not only do Annie’s boyfriends tend to have short life spans — few, if any, are ever heard from again — but there’s an overwhelming number of “Lannie” fans who refuse to  accept Annie with anyone other than Liam (Matt Lanter). But Riley tells HollywoodLife.com not to worry; he’s got a plan.

“I realized, very quickly, that I was in a lose-lose situation,” Riley admits. “I prepared myself for that. This is a character who’s always on the offensive, and I figured if I played him like that, he’d be harder to pick on.”

Riley, who met with Push Girls star Tiphany Adams to prepare for his wheelchair-bound role, says he’s really enjoying acting opposite Shenae — especially when things get particularly fiery between Annie and Riley.

“There’s going to be a lot more of that,” Riley says of their characters’ tension. “What I like is that they’re really giving our story line time to play out. That relationship is going to evolve. … Annie’s finally met her match. Riley’s always going to one-up her and he’s never going to back down. You’re going to see that all year, where every other minute they’re fighting and making up.”

And what would one of Annie’s boyfriends be without a few demons?

“His fiancée left him after he became paralyzed, and that’s a really deep-seeded thing that causes him to be the way he is,” Riley explains. “As [he and Annie] get further into their relationship, you’ll see a lot of those things come out based on those past experiences.”

But even though Riley’s enjoying his time with Annie, he urges the “Lannie” fans to be patient.

“They need to understand that they’re going to get what they want, but between now and then, they need to enjoy the ride,” he explains. “Because once they get it, where’s it going to go? It’s just going to end. I think they need to be careful what they wish for.”

How do you feel about Riley, 90210 fans? Do you think he’s a good match for Annie, or do you refuse to accept her with anyone other than Liam? Drop me a comment with your thoughts on Riley, and what you’d like to see happen in season five.

— Andy Swift

More 90210 scoop:

1. A New ‘Nashville’ Scandal, Vanessa’s 90210 Return & More TV Scoop
  2. 90210 Season 5: Matt Lanter Offers ‘Hope’ For A Liam & Annie Reunion
  3. 90210 Scoop: Emily & Jasper Returning For 100th Episode

Tiffany

Posted at 5:24 PM on January 3, 2013

i believe that Lannie deserves another chance because they always were into eachother and i always felt they never really got over eachother then t ho they wont admit it yet. yes liam was a man whore and slept around but annie has had her fair share and liam only chose vanessa because he thought vanessa was there for him because she filled his head saying if annie really cared she would have been here sooner plus when annie trys to prove vanessa makes her look crazy.. plus Lannies 10x times better and need to start as friends in season 5 like there doing then when the fall part 2 of season 5 starts things need to heat up and they need to end up together because there made for eachother no matter what other people say liam and silver ew. annie and riley ew. liam and that lawer girl ew. annie and whoever else ew. Liam and Annie YES YES YES. 1000 TIMES YES. SO LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN!

fatima lopez

Posted at 12:19 AM on December 16, 2012

I LOVE RANNIE I WANT ANNIE AND RILEY TOGETHER

lana raslan

Posted at 4:08 PM on December 12, 2012

I love riley I feel like the show really needed someone who wasn’t crazy rich or crazy phyco for a change, just someone whose been through a lot and truley loves annie someone who would take a life threatening surgery to see her smile, riley is so down to earth and open which makes us look at alll the 90210 characters in different ways which is nice and entertaining

I say let riley and annie go on for a long time, have her go through life-changing events with him but never forget about liam and annie cus they were amazing maybe have riley and annie almost get married and have liam come and stop it ahahha wtv you guys do I’m sure will be amazing but don’t forget about liam and annie but at the same time make riley and annie a big deal :)

zara

Posted at 7:00 PM on December 6, 2012

Liam and Silver are disgusting. Idc what anyone says, they are filthy. ugh. ew. I LOVE Riley and Annie and I love Riley’s personality, but idk, Liam and Annie together was the best thing that’s ever happened to 90210. They are perfectttt.

Natalia MG.

Posted at 9:08 AM on November 27, 2012

I used to be a Lannie fan, but I think they kind of fizzled out!! I really enjoy the relationship between Annie and Riley. And I like Liam and Silver better. They complement each other better and have more chemistry!!

Hanna S.

Posted at 11:21 PM on November 26, 2012

I kind of imagine Riley as Christian Grey!!! I love him and don’t find much sense about Annie and Liam anymore!

Natalia MG.

Posted at 9:09 AM on November 27, 2012

Totally agree!!!!

Hanna

Posted at 8:22 AM on November 25, 2012

How is it possible to FLOVE = ADORE Lannie and despise Liam at same time? Lol, because that’s what happening to me. I really can’t stand what they made him be. He needs to prove that he’s worth Annie <3
As for Riley and Annie – don't like them, boring and predictable.

cocoa

Posted at 10:17 PM on November 22, 2012

well at first i thought Riley wasn´t a good match for Annie, but while i´m seen his character development in the last episodes, I’ve begun thinking that riley may can be better for Annie than liam, Riley seems to be a great guy and there are nice chemestry between them; on the other hand, lets face it, Liam has been a real berk with her, he has humiliated her, cheated on her when he returned from the sea, he preferred vanessa to her, has slept with every girl than appears in the show,including silver… that is so not fair!!!, besides When will she have a chance to have fun??? ;) i agree with kristin, riley and annie are more exciting than lannie

Kristin

Posted at 5:10 AM on November 17, 2012

RANNIE: I SHIP IT BRO. I love the way Riley is all grouchy and testy but he has a sweet side too, I love his character…and his face lol. Riley and Annie is much more exciting while Liam and Annie is so boring and there’s nothing to it really :/

Julie

Posted at 7:59 AM on November 25, 2012

Completely disagree. Rannie? Where it even came from? Since when Riley has fallen for Annie, and Annie dated Colin for about 3 minutes before randomly kissed Riley! It’s gross. They look more like brother and sister and their chemistry is just low enough to pull relationships.

Lannie is 4 years long development, believable love story, chemistry….. Duh, they belong together, they always find their way back no matter how many more guest stars and regulars will stand on their way.

Kristin

Posted at 5:39 PM on November 25, 2012

I understand where you’re comming from…Lannie is a cute pairing. But look at what cocoa’s said, he’s cheated on her, humiliated her, and he preferred Vanessa over her when she had open arms(not exactly open arms but…you know what I mean lol). Liam and Annie had a ‘deep love’ but their conversations are so plain and boring, unless they’re fighting of course. I’ve been doubting RANNIE lately though…I just want Annie to be happy. So whoever makes her happy I’m happy. Lol that sounds awkward because she’s a fictional character…oh well haha :)

I ship them both I guess. But still…RANNIE FTW.

Sarah

Posted at 6:28 PM on November 13, 2012

I loved Lannie but I think Annie deserves better than Liam! Riley has potential to be a main character (so did Raj). I wish they introduced more fresh/smart/good guys and kept them on like they did back in the day with Liam because the main guys are starting to get on my nerves!

nse727

Posted at 3:01 AM on November 13, 2012

I lovvve Riley <3 <3 =)

Sandy

Posted at 8:15 AM on November 5, 2012

Riley is not a match for Annie, I can’t even understand why would he say so. It’s not like “Rannie” went through ANYTHING to prove there are ANY feelings involved. On the other side you have Lannie who clearly belong together and the faster writers start to build up their romance the best. It doesn’t mean they need to hook up right away, but it would be nice to already start seeing how they are building bridges between them in a romantical way. Just make Liam and Annie start carying for each other without making them act like they live on different planets.

Dairlover

Posted at 5:47 PM on October 29, 2012

It’s not that I want Lannie to reunite right away, Liam has to go long path before Anie cough* I *cough will be able to forgive him. If Riley will give him a hard time winning her back I’m all in. But I’m not interested if Riley and Annie are just a time waste before reuniting Lannie. Seriously writers, Liam might have pretty face, but that won’t give him any discount when it comes to gaining fans respect back :P

Cee

Posted at 4:51 PM on October 29, 2012

Not really sure why people are so worried, LANNIE IS ENDGAME. <3 ;)

lily

Posted at 5:41 PM on November 3, 2012

lannie<3!

Dairlover

Posted at 4:39 PM on October 29, 2012

Andy, are you aware for how long Riley is staying ? Did he already film his last scene ? He sounds very confident here, like if he’s staying till the end.

Shine

Posted at 4:37 PM on October 29, 2012

Riley is such a shipper. Do you think we can actually get the triangle that is pictured here? Because that’s definitely going to be good! I like Rannie but Lannie is so much better.

Chelsea

Posted at 4:03 PM on October 29, 2012

I love how die hard Riley supports his ship and I’m also happy he got along with Shenae, maybe if Lannie never happened they had a chance to win my heart. But since they did, I’m not switching sides, LaRimes has just way too long history, beautiful love story and incredible chemistry to resist it. :)

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:27 PM on October 29, 2012

I’m lol-ing at “LaRimes.” That’s a new one.

Chelsea

Posted at 4:33 PM on October 29, 2012

haha, it was actually rather often used by Lannie shippers describing Lanter and Grimes :)

Cee

Posted at 4:52 PM on October 29, 2012

Oh Andy, that’s not new! LaRimes has been around since season one. ;)

Chelsea

Posted at 3:59 PM on October 29, 2012

Riley Smith I LOVE YOU! But this is Lannie or nobody, sorry! :)

Tracy

Posted at 3:50 PM on October 29, 2012

How can Riley say he is a match for Annie and then say Lannie is happening ? Lannie is destined, he’s just shortterm waste of time, please just lets fastforward Rannie part and get to our beloved couple faster. I would understand if Riley said enjoy triangle, because that would explain why Lannie fans should bother and “enjoy the ride”, but sorry I don’t give a **** to another love interest of Annie that has nothing to do with Lannie whatsoever.

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:27 PM on October 29, 2012

I think he understands that, even though Liam & Annie are meant to be together, they both need to grow before they reach that finish line — and Annie’s relationship with Riley will help her grow.

Chelsea

Posted at 4:32 PM on October 29, 2012

Yep, truth, but unfortunately Liam is going downhill with each new episode.

Cee

Posted at 4:55 PM on October 29, 2012

Definitely agree with this. I think a big problem with Lannie’s relationship before was that they both had some growing up to do. Now that they’ve had some time apart and have been able to realize what they want, their relationship can become more genuine and solid. (Not that it wasn’t before, but it’ll just reinforce that.)

NinosRichos

Posted at 3:46 PM on October 29, 2012

“I wish for Lannie to be together and happy forever” and writers are dumb if they think happy couple is boring couple, Lannie had so many obstacles that they and their fans deserve full season of happyness

NinosRichos

Posted at 3:44 PM on October 29, 2012

Did Riley just gave us hope or destroyed it ? I’m lost, what does this line mean : “Because once they get it, where’s it going to go? It’s just going to end. I think they need to be careful what they wish for.”

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:27 PM on October 29, 2012

Definitely GAVE hope! :)

randy

Posted at 2:45 PM on October 29, 2012

I like Smith and all but I can’t watch Annie being wasted on guest stars anymore.
Why can’t the show just give viewers what they want? and Riley is wrong, when couple gets together it doesn’t mean there is nothing else for them to do anymore

Rafael

Posted at 2:23 PM on October 29, 2012

What do you think he meant with this?

Now I’m more afraid than ever :( haha I miss Lannie so much and I CAN’T WAIT for them to get back together!

Cee

Posted at 4:57 PM on October 29, 2012

Don’t be worried, keep the hope! He probably just means to enjoy the ride! Enjoy the build-up and such. That’s my personal favourite part anyways. :)

Aly

Posted at 2:11 PM on October 29, 2012

I like seeing all the different love interets and story lines for Annie as long as I know that eventually she and Liam will get together in the end. It’s more entertaining to see the variety.

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:28 PM on October 29, 2012

I like the way you think.

SadLannieFan

Posted at 1:17 PM on October 29, 2012

Riley is NOT a mstch for Annie. She belongs with Liam PERIOD! I like Riley but come on, Annie being in yet another relationships is ridiculous, we want to see Lannie develop not some random hook up! :( So does it mean Lannie is obstacle for Rannie ? I guess I’m done with this show, 9-0 is killing me with how they treat Lannie.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:23 PM on October 29, 2012

Haha, I guess you’re one of the fans he’s referring to. I actually like what he said about Liam & Annie. We all just need to be patient.

sasha

Posted at 4:18 PM on October 29, 2012

The wait isnt the problem its how they ruin the characters and couple when they break them up. I HATED the way Liam treated Annie last season. First for that pointless pregnant woman then for Vanessa and then he hooked up with her friend Silver.

I love Lannie but they destroyed them and I need Liam to prove himself.