90210 Scoop: Riley Smith Says Annie ‘Finally Met Her Match’ With Riley

Mon, October 29, 2012 12:59pm EDT by 50 Comments
Riley Smith 90210
Courtesy of The CW (3)

Plus, Riley has a special message for ‘Lannie’ fans: ‘They’re going to get what they want, but … they need to enjoy the ride.’

For the record, Riley Smith knew that joining 90210 as a love interest for Annie (Shenae Grimes) was going to be an “uphill battle.” Not only do Annie’s boyfriends tend to have short life spans — few, if any, are ever heard from again — but there’s an overwhelming number of “Lannie” fans who refuse to  accept Annie with anyone other than Liam (Matt Lanter). But Riley tells HollywoodLife.com not to worry; he’s got a plan.

“I realized, very quickly, that I was in a lose-lose situation,” Riley admits. “I prepared myself for that. This is a character who’s always on the offensive, and I figured if I played him like that, he’d be harder to pick on.”

Riley, who met with Push Girls star Tiphany Adams to prepare for his wheelchair-bound role, says he’s really enjoying acting opposite Shenae — especially when things get particularly fiery between Annie and Riley.

“There’s going to be a lot more of that,” Riley says of their characters’ tension. “What I like is that they’re really giving our story line time to play out. That relationship is going to evolve. … Annie’s finally met her match. Riley’s always going to one-up her and he’s never going to back down. You’re going to see that all year, where every other minute they’re fighting and making up.”

And what would one of Annie’s boyfriends be without a few demons?

“His fiancée left him after he became paralyzed, and that’s a really deep-seeded thing that causes him to be the way he is,” Riley explains. “As [he and Annie] get further into their relationship, you’ll see a lot of those things come out based on those past experiences.”

But even though Riley’s enjoying his time with Annie, he urges the “Lannie” fans to be patient.

“They need to understand that they’re going to get what they want, but between now and then, they need to enjoy the ride,” he explains. “Because once they get it, where’s it going to go? It’s just going to end. I think they need to be careful what they wish for.”

How do you feel about Riley, 90210 fans? Do you think he’s a good match for Annie, or do you refuse to accept her with anyone other than Liam? Drop me a comment with your thoughts on Riley, and what you’d like to see happen in season five.

— Andy Swift

More 90210 scoop:

1. A New ‘Nashville’ Scandal, Vanessa’s 90210 Return & More TV Scoop
  2. 90210 Season 5: Matt Lanter Offers ‘Hope’ For A Liam & Annie Reunion
  3. 90210 Scoop: Emily & Jasper Returning For 100th Episode

Rannie

Posted at 2:19 PM on July 30, 2013

I loved Riley and Annie together ! I actually thought that, he would begin to walk again, and they would live happily together for a long time! It really sucked that they decided to kill him!!!

Natasha

Posted at 9:15 PM on March 2, 2013

I loved Riley and I loved the relationship that they had. The show should of never killed him off because they made it the relationship too short. It felt so real and wasn’t 100% perfect but that’s what gave us the connection, just like Naomi and Max, it was unpredictable. I loved Riley and Annie together, it’s a shame it didn’t last longer.

Sara

Posted at 3:57 AM on February 12, 2013

It was absolutely ridiculous when Riley got killed off. I cried tons! Their relationship was built up so well together, I was waiting for them to come on the screen ever since they got together! It really felt like you were a part of the whole thing. Liam and Annie had chemistry, but it didn’t work out. I loved Lannie at the time, but after she met Riley nothing mattered anymore. I’m so, so disappointed about Riley dying, it really shocked me. It was the first time in a long time I actually proper cried at a TV show or movie! I wish they would say it was all a joke or a misunderstanding, but I know that can’t happen. Oh well.

Natalie

Posted at 10:18 PM on February 11, 2013

Anne and Liam all the way these writers better start working on this romance for Anne and Liam again.

casey

Posted at 6:11 PM on February 4, 2013

I like riley.. but sorry liam and annie have this chemistry that I love and they are just so cute and good together!! i’m rooting for them!

Yonja

Posted at 7:50 PM on January 31, 2013

i actually love lannie together and didnt want any one else with annie , but as soon as riley came into the picture i changed my mind i love them together as well. i think they should give riley a shot

Music

Posted at 5:08 AM on January 30, 2013

J’aimerais revoir Liam et Annie ensemble, je trouve qu’ils vont bien ensemble et pour moi ils sont faits l’un pour l’autre, j’ai bien aimé leur scène dans l’épisode 10 et 11 de la saison 5 et je les avais adoré dans la saison 2 et 3. Je ne sais pas ce que font les scénaristes mais pour moi ce sera toujours Lannie, ils sont toujours là l’un pour l’autre. Ils ont une véritable alchimie. Déjà dans la saison 3, Annie se sentait super mal quand Liam avait été à l’hopital et maintenant c’est l’inverse c’est Liam qui est là pour Annie. Vive Lannie.

Livi

Posted at 8:05 AM on January 24, 2013

I think Liam and Annie should get back together, they have the best chemistry and its 5 years of a relationship/friendship. I dont see Annie and Riley going anywhere much. He’s too new and I think they should give it a spin for a little, keep it interesting. But Annie and Liam 100% Should be together. I mean, She got shot because of that crazy chick for him. Aaaww!

Irma

Posted at 1:32 PM on January 22, 2013

i absolutely do not accept annie with anyone else than Liam!!
Lannie all the way!!