Plus, Aria learns a potentially twisted family secret relating to Alison’s death!
Fact: No one does Halloween like the good people of Rosewood. The Oct. 23 episode of Pretty Little Liars found our girls narrowly dodging death, while rocking killer costumes and grooving out to the musical stylings of Mr. Adam Lambert. Of course, not everyone enjoyed their ride on the “A” Train, as one character did come to an untimely end. Drumroll please…
It was Garrett (Yani Gellman). We’re not sure exactly how he died, or who killed him, but we do know that “A” trapped Aria (Lucy Hale) in a box with his corpse — which may have been the most disturbing moment in this show’s history.
But before Garrett died, he dropped a little knowledge on Spencer (Troian Bellisario): He swears he really didn’t kill Alison. Jenna (Tammin Sursok) wanted her dead, so he pretended to hit her with the lacrosse stick, then later spotted her having an intense chat with Byron (Chad Lowe) behind a tree. Seriously, you can’t even trust trees in this town!
Who’s that ghost?
But not all of the action went down on the train. Back at the Marin residence, Ashley (Laura Leighton) and that sexy priest were facing their own little dilemma: One of the trick-or-treaters, a creepy little girl in a nightgown, wouldn’t leave their house. She kept talking about how her sister doesn’t like her, and how she’s always trying to make her look bad.
Am I crazy for thinking that — somehow — that little girl was young Alison? Or young Alison’s twin, if we’re going by the original book series? Don’t forget that last year’s Halloween special opened with a huge reference to Ali’s twin sister, so unless proven otherwise, I’m not ruling that out as a possibility.
The little things:
While I enjoyed the tricks “A” had in store for us this week, I also enjoyed the treats we got from each of the couples in their quiet moments. Example: I loved the scene where Paige (Lindsey Shaw) poured her heart out to Emily (Shay Mitchell). It was a really vulnerable side of Paige that we don’t get to see very often, and she and Emily are pretty adorable together.
I also loved Hanna (Ashley Benson) and Caleb’s (Tyler Blackburn) reunion on the train. As the couple with the best collective hair on the show, they should always be standing outside in strong winds. Always.
1. Who did Aria stab with that screwdriver while she was in the box? Was it Toby (Keegan Allen)? When new episodes start again in January, keep an eye out for someone with a sudden hand injury!
2. Who (or what) was crawling out of the grave at the end of the episode?
3. Does Ezra (Ian Harding) know something we don’t? He was making crazy eyes when he finally arrived on the train — like, even more than his usual “s**t, I don’t want to go to jail” eyes.
4. Do you think Byron was more ‘involved’ with Alison (Sasha Pieterse) than anyone knew?
OK, it’s your turn to talk: Drop me a comment with your personal review of the Halloween special, as well as any answers you think you may have to my burning questions!
— Andy Swift
More Pretty Little Liars on HollywoodLife.com:
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Stars Preview ‘Intense’ Death On Halloween Special
- ABC Family Reveals Winter Premiere Dates For ‘The Lying Game’ & More
- ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Stars Share Their Anti-Bullying Advice For Spirit Day