‘Once Upon A Time': Ariel, Tarzan & More Are Coming To Storybrooke

Mon, October 22, 2012 6:17pm EDT by 31 Comments
Once Upon A Time New Characters
Getty Images, Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures (3)

In a new interview, the show’s executive producers confirm which fairy tale characters will (or won’t) be arriving in town — and we’re playing casting director!

The Twitterverse may have exploded with love over the arrival of Captain Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) on the Oct. 21 episode of Once Upon A Time, but fans might want to save some of their enthusiasm for the parade of new characters coming their way! In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly, executive producers Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitzis cleared up the rumors about which fairy tale characters they have on tap.

1. Ariel, The Little Mermaid: Though she won’t appear right away, the EPs say they “absolutely” plan to include her in the series. (Paging Teen Wolf‘s Holland Roden!)

2. Tarzan: Though they’ve never considered Tarzan before, the EPs admit they’re open to the idea. (And I think viewers would definitely be open to the idea of Taylor Kitsch as the vine-swinging jungleman.)

3. Mickey Mouse: Don’t count on it. Mickey has already appeared in phone-form on the show, and the EPs don’t see how they could realistically translate him onto the screen.

4. The Wizards of OzThe EPs can already hear the clicking of Dorothy’s ruby slippers down the yellow-brick road, classifying Oz as a “when,” not an “if.” (Maybe it’s just because opening scene from the Smash pilot has stuck with me me, but I would love to see someone like Katharine McPhee slip into Dorothy’s shoes.)

5. Sherlock Holmes: Unless the BBC’s current Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch is up for the challenge, the EPs say they wouldn’t dream of dropping the iconic detective in Storybrooke.

6. Jack Sparrow: Similarly to Sherlock Holmes, the EPs can’t imagine letting anyone tackle the role other than Johnny Depp.

7. TronThe EPs seem more amused than interested in having anyone from the Tron world cycle their way into town.

8. Mary Poppins: The legendary (flying) British nanny is being filed under “eventually.” Maybe it’s the Downton Abbey junkie in me, but I’d love to see Michelle Dockery drop in via giant umbrella.

Which fairy tale characters would YOU like to see in Storybrooke? And of the ones confirmed by Adam and Eddie, which actors do you think should play them? Drop me a comment with your casting choices!

— Andy Swift

More Once Upon A Time on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Hook Sets Sail & Rumpelstiltskin Kills Again
  2. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Season 2: Six Big Spoilers That Will ‘Change Everything’
  3. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Emma Sabotages Her Return To Storybrooke

Fitz

Posted at 11:25 AM on July 23, 2014

i just realized that Emma was supposed to be Odette.. Since she’s Emma Swan, and Odette is the Swan Princess.. and they both have long blonde hair… Well, that escalated quickly.

LoyalOUATfan

Posted at 5:34 PM on June 27, 2014

I want to see jasmine and aladdin and esmeralda and the hunchback and hercules and meg and hades that would be cool then my life would be complete I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY ESMERALDA

Emily

Posted at 3:25 PM on May 16, 2014

I also think they should introduce the hunchback of notre dame :)

Emily

Posted at 10:48 AM on May 16, 2014

I really think they need to introduce aladdin and jasmine :)

Michelle

Posted at 8:22 PM on October 22, 2013

Odette and derick

Rupunzel

And of course THUMBALINA

Danie

Posted at 7:00 PM on April 20, 2013

*̩ would love to see dette and Derek from Swan Princess
And captain hook and Ariel fall inlove…*

Kriz reyes

Posted at 12:46 AM on May 15, 2013

<3 that's a great idea! Derek and Odette plus Ariel and Hook!

laura

Posted at 8:09 PM on February 23, 2013

Holland Roden?? Have you people not seen Elena Satine?!

Teresa Pennington

Posted at 8:40 AM on February 7, 2013

I can’t turn it off. I can’t wait to see where your minds take me next with these characters. This happens for me, rarely. I sincerely want to say to the writers of ‘Once Upon a Time’, good job guys. I do know your names. : )

Elle

Posted at 2:05 AM on May 14, 2014

Goldilocks would be welcome. What happened to Pinnocchio?? What about Merlin? Even more powerful than Mr Gold and yet from a different realm. Btw what was up with bringing a goddess into the show …snakehead? I can see why people want Hercules. Loki though. I was disappointed that Hansel, Gretel, Cinderella had such a small part to play. Bring back the woodsman or create another one from a different story. He could be useful. Bring in the Sandman.

Erica

Posted at 9:58 PM on February 6, 2013

i would love to see emma and hook together. but i would love to see tinkerbell, peter pan, arial and eric would be cool but what about their daughter melody. i would like to see them.

Kizzi

Posted at 7:33 PM on January 21, 2013

I want to see…

Rupunzel
Princess and the Pea
Frog Prince
Robin Hood/ Maid Marian
Red Rose (Snow White’s sister)
Goldilocks

BioHazard

Posted at 1:56 PM on January 7, 2013

I would like to see;
Tinkerbell played
Peter Pan played
Humpty Dumpty
Alice Liddell
Puss in Boots
Pied Piper
Sheherazade
Princess and the Frog (Eva and Leopold (Snow’s parents))

madgirl

Posted at 4:50 PM on January 6, 2013

Hercules and Meg!

OUAT

Posted at 11:38 AM on January 6, 2013

Odette and Derek from Swan Princess (Odette ebing friend with Ariel)
Thumbelina
Peter pan, wendy + her brothers and tinkerbell.
Princess and the frog
Aladdin and Jasmin
Alice! Alice needs to appear, like she didn’t diy but Cora kept her away or something.¨

Ariel (The little mermaid) – in the real world she is crippled and can’t use her legs så she sits in a wheel chair = a mermaid can’t walk on land. and she meets Eric.

Pocahontas and John smith
Shang!
Black cauldron
Tarzan and Jane
Rapunzel
Dorothy and her three friends
Hunchback of notre dame
Ice queen

ami

Posted at 2:59 PM on January 3, 2013

rapunzel (could link in with fiona, both are trapped in tower), peter pan (rumpelstiltkins son) & wendy, micheal, john & tinkerbell (john could fall in love with pocohontas or her best friend), Aladdin & jasmine, fiona & shrek (dragon could be maleficent), pocohontas, Hercules and meg & few other gods, shang for mulan, alice (grace’s mum), princess and frog (like fiona’s parents), thumbelina (could be tink before she gets wing), Dorthy and Oz(oz land another place like wonderland), pied piper (could have magic flute like in shrek 4th, could make deals with evil queen), robin hood & princess (rob gold from rumple)

Liam Thomas

Posted at 4:19 AM on March 14, 2014

no shang, i want mulan with aurora >:D
and dracula would be spectacular tbh

Evelin

Posted at 1:07 AM on December 25, 2012

Rapunzel,hands down.

Darcy

Posted at 4:59 AM on December 18, 2012

I Think You Need Rapuzel, Ariel, Princess And The Frog, Aladdin and Jasmine, Sword In The Stone, Pocohontas, Tarzan and Hercules (Including Meg)

Matt

Posted at 7:30 PM on December 4, 2012

If the BBC would allow the show license, i could see Dr Who on there, also they could do mickey mouse as a real mouse being taken care of by a human character who knows he is mickey and looks after him knowing who he was in the cartoon world, say Elmer Fudd ?

I also want roadrunner and coyote or sheepdog and wolf (for a fun episode of comedy) imagine real life characters as these 4 !

dumurin

Posted at 5:02 AM on November 12, 2012

I want Ariel!

Turkeygirl

Posted at 4:04 AM on November 12, 2012

Aladdin, and Neal as Baelfire!

dex

Posted at 8:23 AM on October 25, 2012

I want Ariel in Once Upon a Time!

Jess

Posted at 8:24 PM on October 22, 2012

Ohh yes, jasmine and aladin be great! if they did mad hatter, isnt alice called for? Theres also the swan princess but cinderella would be soo cool. I love how they introduced captain hook bit not that they killed his love. Although, belle ending up with captain hook be great!! What about peter pan and wendy?

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:25 PM on October 22, 2012

I’m sure Alice isn’t far behind, but there’s so much they could do with Wonderland. They’re saving her for something big, I’m sure.

Kami

Posted at 6:39 PM on October 22, 2012

No Ariana Grande as Ariel!!! And Taylor Kitsch is perfect :) I want to see Aladdin and Jasmine! Oh and im still waiting for Shang from Mulan.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:24 PM on October 22, 2012

Ariana Grande was my 2nd choice for Ariel :)

Dasie

Posted at 9:37 PM on January 23, 2013

I’d love to see Pocahontas & John Smith in Storybrooke played by Eric Martsolf and Nadia Bjorlin. And I’d also love to see Aladdin and Jasmine played by Galen Gering and Camila Banus (Rafe & Gabi on DOOL) they’re perfect.

Monica

Posted at 6:31 PM on October 22, 2012

Princess and the frog, Jasmine and Alaadin and I would love for them to recreate the Circle of Life with Simba and Mufasa

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:33 PM on October 22, 2012

Can you imagine lions and zebras and monkeys riding through Storybrooke?

Em

Posted at 10:05 PM on January 13, 2013

Honestly, it’s a bit of a mixed bag for me. I like the characters on the show now, and would like to see more of them week to week. Adding extras would really cut down on screen time. But in saying that, I fangirled like crazy at the addition of new characters, and hope to see some new faces appearing in Storybrook.
Hercules is my pick, purely for the theological aspects it brings (would Greek gods have less power in our world due to the reduced belief systems in Greek mythology; how would Herc have been hit with the curse; and who would his love interest be). Also, I would really like to see Red with a love interest this time around, and who better than the strongest man in Disneydom? Red seems quite like a Meg in personality (since OUAT seems keen on mashing characters together- Rumple/The Croc/the Beast, Red/the Wolf/Meg sounds pretty cool, to me).
Who knows what will happen next? Until the next episode airs, it’ll be pretty fun to speculate in the meanwhile :)