‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Hook Sets Sail & Rumpelstiltskin Kills Again

Sun, October 21, 2012 9:58pm EDT by 25 Comments
Once Upon A Time Recap
Courtesy of ABC (2)

Plus, two sinister characters join forces — and they’re headed for Storybrooke!

A miracle occurred on the Oct. 21 episode of Once Upon A Time: We only had to wrap our heads around two timelines! Well, at least until the very end. The hour was mostly split between present-day Storybrooke, where Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle) nearly lost the woman of his dreams; and the past Enchanted Forest, where he did lose the woman of his dreams. Anyone else noticing a trend here?

Let’s start in the Enchanted Forest:

Apparently, Rumpelstiltskin’s love life has always been an ugly tragedy with bad teeth. He learned that his first wife, Mila, was in the custody of that sexy mofo Captain Hook (Colin O’Donoghue) — who nearly broke Twitter tonight, thanks to his emphatic legion of “Hookers” — but when he went to confront the swashbuckler, he was told she had died.

Lies! She didn’t die. She just ran away to be with Captain Hook because he had a sweet boat and ladies love pirates. And as totally reasonable payment for dumping him, Rumples literally ripped out Mila’s heart and crushed it into dust. (Why does everyone keep doing that on this show?!) Rumples also cut off Hook’s hand — origin! — before peacing out.

But it was Hook who got the last laugh — or the last “yargh,” whatever noise pirates make when they find things funny — because he made off with Rumple’s magic bean! Neverland, here we come…

Meanwhile, in Storybrooke:

After catching Rumpelstiltskin working on his dark magic, a troubled Belle (Emilie de Ravin) decided to take a walk and clear her head — but her stroll through Storybrooke took a seriously messed-up turn when a jolly circular gentleman kidnapped her in a sketchy alley. (This provincial life isn’t looking so boring now, eh Belle?)

It turns out the jolly stranger was commissioned to kidnap Belle by none other than her father, Crazy Old Maurice, but their happy reunion was cut short when Belle revealed her true lustful feelings for “the Beast.” Naturally, Maurice responded the way any father would: “Henchman, send this bitch down a mine shaft!” (I may have paraphrased that quote.)

Thanks to Ruby (Meghan Ory) and her keen sense of smell — I was hoping they would drive her through town with her head out the window, but whatever — the gang was able to track Belle down, and Rumples used his magic to save her. Seriously, though, shipping her out of Storybrooke in a mine cart? This isn’t Donkey Kong; let’s never do that again.

And how could I discuss Storybrooke’s mine without highlighting Charming’s (Josh Dallas) gun show? You know he only threw that tanktop on because he was jealous that Hook was getting all the attention.

And then, this happened:

After we saw that Rumpelstiltskin had Hook’s lackey Smee tied up in Storybrooke, the show cut to present-day Enchanted Forest, where Hook was cooking up a wicked little scheme with — that’s right — Cora (Barbara Hershey)!

They’ve both got their reasons for wanting to travel to Storybrooke — Cora wants to get revenge on Regina (Lana Parrilla), while Hook has his heavily-mascara’d eyes on Rumples — and their best bet is to get there together.

I ship them together already.

What did you think of this week’s Once Upon A Time? Are you already obsessed with Captain Hook? And what do you think of his little partnership with Cora? Drop a comment with your review of the episode, and your predictions for the future.

— Andy Swift

More Once Upon A Time on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Season 2: Six Big Spoilers That Will ‘Change Everything’
  2. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Emma Sabotages Her Return To Storybrooke
  3. ‘Once Upon A Time’ Recap: Regina’s Powers Return — Can She Be Trusted?

angel28

Posted at 5:03 PM on February 5, 2013

Tellhimiwonthimhisnamemrgold

angel28

Posted at 4:55 PM on February 5, 2013

Angelia ycosbytellmrgoldhisshowisgood

ladylavinia1932

Posted at 1:48 PM on January 17, 2013

Belle has become a blind doormat for Rumpel. At least in the show’s latest episode.

Ann

Posted at 12:46 AM on January 13, 2013

Hook is hot,but Rumpel is hotter. Robert Carlyle’s Rumpelstiltski. is what makes this show worth watching, period.

Madi

Posted at 11:25 PM on December 15, 2012

Captain Hook is going to have some back story with Ariel. There is no doubt about it because they are the only two (known) sea-faring characters in the show (even though she isn’t in the show yet). Holland Roden has to be Ariel or I’ll die. She still has to be kept in her teens or else people will get confused. #hookrielforever

Lisa

Posted at 12:16 AM on October 24, 2012

I am obsessed with Captain Hook! he is so hot! anyone know how I could meet him? emma doesn’t deserve him because she didn’t believe in magice before. I hope they do something more with him.

Gretchen

Posted at 10:52 AM on October 23, 2012

captain hook has literally never been this sexy!!!!! holy crapppppppp!!!!! i love how hook’s story has been developed in a way that makes us feel sympathy for him. I think Cora is a means to an end, not that she was his first choice as a partner. oh, and a prediction for me is that Bay is going to end up being Peter Pan, and Hook finds out that he’s Rumpel’s son, which fuels the feud between Peter Pan and Captain Hook.

tom

Posted at 2:15 PM on October 22, 2012

the episode was cool. hook is a cool guy. who doesn’t like pirates.
this is probably stupid, but in an upcoming episode emma and hook meet, so it might be sort of interesting if they had some sort of a relationship, i don’t know it’s just something that crossed my mind and i know he is considered as a villain.

kristine

Posted at 10:13 AM on October 22, 2012

There was no death by mine cart. The idea was to send her across the town border so she would forget who she was and everything else of her old life.

Toni

Posted at 7:41 AM on October 22, 2012

Last night show wasn’t that much of a let down for me because I need to know the back stories and “Hook” is Hotttt. Need to see more of him. Please.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:12 AM on October 22, 2012

Don’t worry, you’ll see PLENTY more of him. He’s been promoted to a series regular. :)

Lisa

Posted at 12:17 AM on October 24, 2012

Me too. Hook is hot and I want to know his real name also.

Yesenia Montalvo

Posted at 4:50 AM on October 22, 2012

Robert Carlyle is amazing!!! Captain Hook is super hot, a lot of people have been saying that they didn’t like this episode much but I did:) We got to learn more about Rumplestiltskin’s past and his rivalry with one Killian Jones a.k.a. Captain Hook!!! I missed Emma & Snow:(

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:12 AM on October 22, 2012

I missed Emma and Snow, too. But honestly, this episode was so good, I almost didn’t notice they were gone!

Lisa

Posted at 12:19 AM on October 24, 2012

I didn’t really miss Emma. there is something I find very anoying about her.

sara

Posted at 10:47 PM on October 21, 2012

I feel so much better. I thought I was the only one let down. I was so hyped about Hook, but it really wasn’t a big deal other than being a great foe for Rumple. I don’t like anyone messing with Rumple. Rumple is THE villian and he is so good at it. Robert could act his way out of a bag. I love the viciousness, playful deals and his love for his son and Belle. Great actor. Hook was good, but it can’t replace Rumple.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:13 AM on October 22, 2012

I think Hook will grow on you as the episodes continue. He’s not a one-off villain. He’ll be around for a while.

lisa

Posted at 10:43 PM on October 21, 2012

I was a bit let down by Hook too. Sure is handsome, but other than that, not so much. I do like the rivalry between Rump and Hook, but If Hook didn’t stay around, I wouldn’t be upset at all. I want Rump to hand him his other hand………..I like my core characters and I dont mind new characters, but the core should stay in tact. Hit and run is the way it should be. Robert is amazing, he and Emile are fantastic. Robert should be nominated for an Emmy, he played one character in totally 3 different ways. He is amazing. One minute you could feel the venom in the words tick tock and then feel the caring for belle when he says he gave her the sweater for warmth. ruby saw it too.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:47 PM on October 21, 2012

“Robert should be nominated for an Emmy.”

Abso-freakin-lutely!!!

stacey

Posted at 10:29 PM on October 21, 2012

I’ve been hooked. D#mn he is hot!!. But what can I say about dark hair, light eyes. Gets me everytime.

Ps I love your humor on the recap!

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:42 PM on October 21, 2012

Thanks! :) And yeah, it looks like there are a lot of “Hookers” out there now. Best fan name ever.

Lisa

Posted at 12:20 AM on October 24, 2012

Me too. i have been “Hooked” i can not stop thinking about him now.

Kelly

Posted at 10:10 PM on October 21, 2012

Emilie de Ravin and Robert Carlyle did a phenomenal job. Great acting and amazing chemistry. I do like that they balanced Belle being strong and not a blind doormat to Rumple while accepting him as he was when the truth was given. Too much hype about Hook made him a let down for me.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:42 PM on October 21, 2012

I was grossed out by the idea of them together at first, but in these recent episodes, I’ve really grown to like them. Both great actors.

Hooker - Love it!

Posted at 11:10 PM on October 21, 2012

I totally agree with that. I originally couldn’t stand belle and rumple together but I am really starting to like them too. It’s nice to see the softer side of him although his bad side is better! and Hook is sexy and I’d love for him to stick around. Rumple vs Hook will be a great storyline! and throw in some Cora vs Regina and there are going to be some awesome fireworks ahead!