Katy Perry Sings Touching Duet With 11-Year-Old Who Has Autism

Fri, October 19, 2012 9:44am EDT by 9 Comments
Katy Perry Autism Duet
Courtesy of Comedy Central

Katy Perry’s duet of ‘Firework’ with 11-year-old Jodi DiPiazza, who was diagnosed with autism at age 2, received a standing ovation during Comedy Central’s ‘Night of Too Many Stars,’ autism fundraiser. Jodi played piano for the entire song, and joined Katy on vocals — watch the heart-warming performance.

Katy Perry used her star power and strong vocals to raise money for autism programs during Comedy Central’s Night of Too Many Stars, which airs on Oct. 21. She sang her hit single Firework with Jodi DiPiazza, who was diagnosed with autism when she was just 2 years old.

Before the performance, Jodi’s parents told her daughter’s emotional journey with autism, from not being able to speak or communicate, to playing piano flawlessly and expressing herself through music.

Jodi’s story proved that with the right combination of therapy and medical intervention, autism can be treated.

The event, hosted by John Stewart, airs on Comedy Central on Sunday, Oct. 21, and features dozens of celebrity appearances and performances to raise money for autism programs. In 2010, the event gave more than $3.1 million in grants to 41 programs in 13 states.

Watch the performance below.

What did YOU think of the duet HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Katy Perry News:

1. Katy Perry: ‘Devastated’ Over Death Of Ex-Boyfriend Johnny Lewis
  2. Katy Perry’s ghd Campaign Photo Shoot: See Her Glam Hair & Makeup
  3. Katy Perry Opts For A Flirty Frock For ‘Part of Me’ Tokyo Premiere

Carol L. Dunkerton

Posted at 12:57 PM on November 1, 2012

I found Jodi very inspiring. My neice has autism and we found out when she had alot of tests done !Ihave a diasability myself. I am deaf and lipread.

Lori

Posted at 9:00 PM on October 24, 2012

Katy Perry our whole family teared up with your song. I just became a fan and Firework is my new favorite song.My grandson is Autistic and your performance with Jodi was so moving.God Bless you

alexxa

Posted at 2:40 PM on October 22, 2012

words cant even explain….

rynee6

Posted at 7:04 AM on October 21, 2012

Reblogged this on Esa Chica's Blog and commented:
This is just so wonderful of Katy Perry. Its a feather in the Teenage Dream singer’s hat. Way to go!!!

Patti Mahoney

Posted at 2:43 PM on October 20, 2012

Jodi you are an inspiration to everyone. This performance made me cry. My nephew has autism and is non-verbal. I hope and pray that someday he will speak and show the world that he is a firework! Katy Perry you are so amazing. My daughter just loves you because you are so caring and down to earth! I am now a big fan too! Hope to see you in concert soon!

vanderbilt

Posted at 10:11 AM on October 20, 2012

Oh my goodness. How magnificent! To think I didn’t care much for Katy Perry or the song:”Firework” before seeing this. Thank you for bringing awareness to autism. Many parents don’t know what to do and not having the support/ resources they need, send their children to facilities like the Judge Rotenberg Center in Canton, MA, USA that uses painful shocks for sometimes as long as 7 hours to children restrained on boards face down as their “treatment”. Please do whatever you can to have aversive practices like that stopped and other positive treatment like this used instead. Kudos and thanks to Jodi DiPiazza, her parents, Jon Stewart, Katy Perry, Good Morning America, Comedy Central, and everyone else involved in bringing autism to the forefront. Jodi DiPiazza is my hero! Stop the JRC!

tiki

Posted at 5:23 PM on October 19, 2012

this is making me cry. My little boy was diagnosed at 2. stories like this help me when things seem impossible. he’s come so far in two years. this little girl is so amazing. she has amazing parents.

Mary

Posted at 11:06 AM on October 19, 2012

Wow! Jodi is amazing. She has great parents and
full of life! This brought tears to my eyes. I have a
19yr old sister with autism aswell. Jodi reminded
me so much of her because she sings to Christina
Aguilera all the time. But I have to say Jodi is
something I’ve never seen. Congradulations to the
parents as well. They’re amazing!

nicole spencer

Posted at 10:47 AM on October 19, 2012

as a mom with two sons that have autism..this warms my heart…god bless this child and her gift…and god bless katy perry for being apart of this……love it