Family Dog Saves Life Of Baby Who Stopped Breathing

Tue, October 16, 2012 5:56pm EST by 8 Comments
Dog saves baby night
Courtesy of ABC News

Jenna Brousseau’s dog Duke, whom she rescued from an animal shelter six years ago, is credited for saving the life of her 9-week-old baby Harper. When the infant girl stopped breathing in the middle of the night on Oct. 14, Duke woke up her parents with shakes and cries.

Jenna Brousseau and her busband rescued their beloved dog Duke six years ago when he was just an abandoned puppy at a shelter, and the family pooch payed it forward — and saved the life of their baby daughter Harper.

When the 9-week-old baby girl stopped breathing in the middle of the night, Duke ran into the master bedroom and woke up the Brousseau family with his violent shakes at their Portland, Connecticut home.

“He is insanely obedient, so this was extremely bizarre,” Jenna told WFSB News.

Worried, the couple woke up and checked on their daughter. Then Jenna’s husband noticed she wasn’t breathing — he immediately called an ambulance. Paramedics revived little Harper before she was taken to the hospital.

“If Duke hadn’t been so scared, we would have just gone to sleep,” she said. “He’s the perfect dog, he was meant to be ours.”

Doctors aren’t sure what caused the baby girl to stop breathing, but believe it may have been because of acid reflux, a condition in which the contents of the stomach leak back into the esophagus.

We’re so happy little Harper is OK –and love that Duke was there to save the day!

What do YOU think of this story HollyMoms? Has your family dog ever alerted you to danger before?

– Christina Stiehl

More heroic HollyBaby stories:

1. Heroic 12-Year-Old Boy Saves Grandmother From Burning House
  2. Three Children Were Rescued From An Icy River By A Heroic Bystander
  3. Heroic Father Rescues Daughter From Abductor’s Arms

janice Roberts

Posted at 11:32 PM on October 17, 2012

Rescues make great family members!!! Awesome job Duke! Happy all is well with the baby!

zizi

Posted at 12:05 PM on October 17, 2012

My dog saved my sister. My brother and his friend (They were only kids at this time) were trying to tip the swing set over while my older sister was swinging. She might of gotten seriously hurt if my dog didn’t bite her leg and pull her off.

yiotayk

Posted at 4:00 AM on October 17, 2012

My dog saved my house from a forthcoming fire. My dog (Cuttie) used to scratch the bedroom’s door whenever he wanted to come in the room, and if after a while no one opened the door he stopped and left. In a winter night when we all went to bed, he came out of my bedroom’s door and started scratching the door. I was too asleep that night and didn’t wake up to open the door, though Cuttie kept scratching the door without stopping. Then I thought something is going on… I opened the door and saw smoke all over the corridor in the house. I run to the living room where the fireplace is located and saw that a stick fell off and a carton case that was near started to burn. I immediately run and brought water. Fortunately there were no damages THANKS to Cuttie!

Brook

Posted at 1:09 PM on January 21, 2013

You r lucky because if your dog didn’t do that u would be dead. Good job cutie

Camper

Posted at 12:09 AM on October 17, 2012

Dont ya dislike whrn a celebrity names their baby… That every baby born after will be said to copy that famous baby…sigh

tiki

Posted at 11:57 PM on October 16, 2012

not exactly alerting anyone, and not a dog. but when i was a teenager i got a kitten, he was extermly attached to me. he use to just know if i was upset. If i was crying he would lay right beside my face and put his paw on my hand and sniff at me . if i was having a bad day he’d somehow just seem to get it and curl up on my lap puring. I remember it was so cute, one night there was a spider in my room, and it went behind the book case, he stood there for so long, I fell asleep. I woke up 2 hours later, he was still in the exact same spot sitting, but slumped against the wall asleep.
I had to send him to live with my brother when my son was born though :( he kept attacking him as a newborn and nothing was working to stop it (I was trying for 2 months and it never madea stitch of difference). luckily my brother never wants kids, so my little furry baby is now their child essentially.

rachel s.

Posted at 7:51 PM on October 16, 2012

Busband?

Typo or slang??

kymbologan

Posted at 6:55 PM on October 16, 2012

I actually “rescued” a dog, from my sister. He alerted me, when my now ex husband, tried to commit suicide. His breathing was ragged by the time I called paramedics. They didn’t expect him to survive. What is especially memorable about the incident, is that my ex abused the dog and the rest of his “new family”. But dogs are just loyal like that. Dogs can actually be so much better than people.