Seth Curtight, 12, is being hailed as a hero after he carried his grandmother Rose Cutright from their blazing home in Vernonia, Ore. on Oct. 12. The fire started when Rose lit a cigarette inside their home, which contained leaking gas.
Seth Cutright, 12, smelled leaking gas at his home right before his grandmother Rose Cutright lit a cigarette in her bedroom. Moments later, she — and the entire house — was engulfed in flames.
“It was like ‘boom.’ A flash before your eyes,” Seth told Portland news station KATU. “My grandma was on fire.”
The boy and his grandmother were the only ones home at the time, so Seth grabbed his grandma and carried her out of the burning building. While he was carrying her out, he said the fire on her went out.
He then ran to a neighbor’s house and told them to call the ambulance.
Both Seth and Rose are recovering at the Oregon Burn Center. The boy has visible scars and burns covering his face, and his hands are wrapped in bandages, but doctors said when his face heals, he will have no visible scarring.
Rose remains in serious condition.
“I love you. I’m proud of you. You’re my hero,” Seth’s father, Roger Cutright, said. The two wanted to appear on TV to thank the doctors at the burn center, as well as warn others of gas leaks and home fires.
Firefighters were also able to rescue several cats and some chickens from the home. The Red Cross is helping the Cutright family.
What a heroic story. What do YOU think of Seth’s actions HollyMoms?
— Christina Stiehl
More heroic HollyBaby news:
- Three Children Were Rescued From An Icy River By A Heroic Bystander
- Heroic Father Rescues Daughter From Abductor’s Arms
- Kids Saved In Icy River Car Crash Reunite With Their Heroes On ‘Ellen’