‘Vampire Diaries': Elena’s Fight With Damon Proves She Still Loves Him

Fri, October 12, 2012 12:42pm EDT by 60 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

heaven

Posted at 3:57 AM on October 14, 2012

Those SE shippers annoy the hell out of me lately. putting Damon down and making it look like he is the bad guy while stefan is a saint and he is so perfect for elena. they get mad when theres a DE moment but DE shippers put up with al the SE crap that went on and on the past seasons its time for DE to get a change to cause no one can deny that elena loves damon to. she just doesnt want to admit it. and i am not saying that all SE shippers are annoying dont get me wrong but a lot of them are and that really annoys me.elena annoys me to xd she has made some reaal bad decisions not listening to damon as usual.

Ashley

Posted at 3:36 AM on October 14, 2012

@nicki
Also, if you honestly believe Elena doesn’t love Damon, I don’t know what show you’re watching. And no, I don’t mean in a friends way, obviously. And she will tell him so one day.

Ashley

Posted at 3:33 AM on October 14, 2012

@nicki
Nice job ignoring the fact that Elena said (which you misquoted) “I can’t thing about always, just right now” about STEFAN and choosing Stefan, it had nothing to do with Damon. She said it to Damon because Damon repeated the “it’s always going to be Stefan” quote. (And it couldn’t be more obvious by now that it’s not always going to be Stefan, but I digress…)

SE fans are the ones ignoring what Elena says. This was said in the S3 finale after she chose Stefan (which was made all about Damon btw), and after that DAMON got the reaction to Elena dying and not Stefan.

Elena has gone from “It’s always going to be stefan” to “I can’t think about always, just right now”. 4.01 couldn’t have been more a more obvious state of Elena denial if they had signs waving in the air with the word on them. Yes, she’s convinced herself for now and thinks she’s made the right choice in the premiere of S4. Of course this has to be correct because nothing ever changes throughout a show and characters are always upfront about everything, right? (sarcasm in case you didn’t notice). Things change, people grow up. Look at what happened to Caroline. Bottom line is all your arguments are weak.

And Paul’s name coming first has nothing to do with anything except the credits. Ian gets paid more, apparently. But neither matters. Bottom line? Nothing you said about Stelena invalidates Delena or a Delena endgame.

Selena

Posted at 3:00 AM on October 14, 2012

Paul’s name comes before Ian’s in the credits. and Nina is the hightest paid actor. remember she plays two roles. JP and KW have always said from the begining that Damon is just a obstacle for Stelena, that Stelena are soulmates and it’s about there story.

Butterfly

Posted at 3:15 AM on October 14, 2012

Well in the article I read just go throught reading it didnt say he was an obastacle. Yes Nina is the highest paid. then Ian and then Paul. There are 2 main lead male actors Ian & Paul or Paul & Ian it doesnt matter does it? I just can’t with you ppl..LOL always trying to one up.

Ashley

Posted at 3:21 AM on October 14, 2012

I know, right, Butterfly? Seriously, the grasping at straws with the “paul comes first” is just hilarious. That means less than nothing. Stefan can still have his story without ending up with Elena. He still has his journey.

Ashley

Posted at 3:19 AM on October 14, 2012

No, they have not always said that. Just FYI, calling Stelena soulmates means nothing in KWs world. It doesn’t matter whose name comes first in the credits, are you serious with this?? Ian is the highest paid actor from what I heard, not that it matters.

They said in I think it was the beginning of S2 that RIGHT NOW Damon was just the third point in the triangle while SE was the love story. Emphasis on NOW. Stop putting words in their mouth. Just because something is true in S1 or 2 does not mean it will be true of the whole show. It’s pretty obvious where this season is leading and Damon is definitely no obstacle to their love. Elena’s FEELINGS for Damon are, and that’s a WHOLE different thing. She is still figuring out that she’s in love with him. She hasn’t seen it yet but she will one day. There’s a reason she almost cried and was speechless when Damon gave her his speech in 4.01.

Ashley

Posted at 3:22 AM on October 14, 2012

This comment was supposed to be in response to @Selena.

Butterfly

Posted at 3:53 AM on October 14, 2012

LOL someone fudged with how much Nina makes I was looking at chacha ( should be nono)and someone added a couple of more digits to her pay.in. acording to forbes 2011 and I’m sure it hasnt changed Ian is the highest paid, then Nina , Paul.
See that is what I read too it’s Elenas feelings for Damon that is more or less in the way of forever with Stefan. That scene when Elena was watching herself and Damon killed me..I was an emotional mess. I think Elena still doesnt know what love really is. And for some reason the other shippers dont seem to see Damon loves Elena deeply, would stop at nothing to make sure she lived her life fully.

Butterfly

Posted at 4:05 AM on October 14, 2012

@ashley grasping at straws… yeah, don’t you know Stefan was first and Paul is first. and don’t you dare not include him in a Vampire Diaries article, Carina got told a thing or two by not including Pauls name in the article headlines. LOL It’s just too much..LMFAO

maria

Posted at 10:04 PM on October 21, 2012

there are three lead actors Ian Paul and Nina, it does not Mather how they are listed, and Ian is the highest paid actor, Also Damon is the most loved character and famous and that is, because of the fantastic acting by Ian somerhalder, and his portrayal of Damon.

koti

Posted at 5:56 PM on October 13, 2012

Stefan is not guilty that he spared just Matt,this is a a writer’s work…:)I do not understand your people :) for me-stelena,im just enjoy a show :)

londonmiami

Posted at 3:51 PM on October 13, 2012

The more the writers push Stelena down our throat, the more I dislike them/Elena. I heard Julie Plec said that the biggest obstacle to Stelena this season would be Damon… WTF?! He’s not an obstacle! He’s a person! And Delena need to be the ones that should be given a chance because they’ve NEVER been given a fair shot in this series… EVER. Stelena has had 3 seasons, this is the 4th… I’m so bored of it already. Pretty soon, I’m going to start watching this show in clips online if they keep this SE stuff up.

Butterfly

Posted at 2:15 AM on October 14, 2012

I read the hurdle is elenas feelings for damon. I think Delena won’t really happen until season 6 they will tease everything under the sun. A few steamy moments here and there but nothing more.While she might not stay with Stefan the whole time, I think Elena will be on her own, but still have the bros standing at her side when needed and wanted. A few months back I read that JP said something about Elena will be stashing the compulsion memories and other insights about Damon into her little Damon encyclopedia (probably her diary).and something about Elena will see how Damon needs to be loved or how Damon deserves to be loved. I bookmarked it but whatdoyaknow it’s comes up as page not found. Who knows with this show..shit gets leaked, deleted, wrote over and canned. It’s one big freakin mystery and tbqh I really don’t think they know where they are taking this storyline..cause JP rolls like that.

Lacy (@lace0586)

Posted at 1:22 PM on October 13, 2012

I understand why Elena is scared of her feelings for Damon. It would be scary to be 18 and have someone that Hot love me too lol.j/k He is very honest and doesnt candy coat anything and when your 18 I would assume the hard and serious stuff is difficult to understand. Its not about her feelings for him its about the passion and honesty of thier relationship; As soon as season 4 started all Stefan started with is not accepting the truth and trying to fix something that is unfixable. He has this undying hope of something that isnt realistic. It’s like telling a child that bad tings dont happen and we never have to just deal with it and accept it for what it is. He’s like a fairytale prince charming. This is a drama show and stefan tries to bring light in places its not supposed to be light and Damon has always wanted Elena to just accept it and learn to walk in the dark. Right now Elena is going to have to walk in the dark and Stefan is going to try but he just will not make it any easier. Damon will be the one who will lead her the right direction. Oh and the person(Nicki )who said he wasnt a main character………..What freakin show have you been watching???? The show depends on all its characters and they are all leads. Damon stefan and Elena and the MAIN leads. are you kidding me. Start watching season 1 again deary. who is in every episode? DAMON.ELENA.STEFAN

painfullyobvious

Posted at 10:44 AM on October 13, 2012

Well of course Damon and Elena continue to share some of the most honest, passionate, well-written scenes. That’s how the TVD producers continue to string along the Delena fanbase that keeps this show on the air. Delena fans are tough, they hang in there and don’t boycott episodes when they don’t like what they see happening. They don’t expect much at this point for their couple but they still have hope. If the show stopped handing out these crumbs, they’d finally give up and stop watching and the Stelena fans could finish up this final season, happy that their epic couple ended it together forever. As it is, this way TVD gets to keep both fanbases.

Until the very end. Because, it’s painfully obvious that Delena is endgame. :D

Anam

Posted at 10:05 AM on October 13, 2012

The real difference b/w Damon and Stefan is that Stefan needs Elena to love him, he doesn’t want Elena to think any less of him that’s y he always accept her wishes even if they cause her death. I mean seriously?! Letting the ‘love of ur life’ die just because she asked u too is rediculously stupid. Damon always puts Elena’s life n happiness first. He wanted her to have a normal happy life that she deserved, even if it wasn’t with him. That is true unconditional love. Frankly I m not worried, Elena needs to spend this time with Stefan to realize that the stability n safety that he provides her isn’t enough for her. She’s in love with Damon, she’ll admit it just give her some time n btw Elena told Stefan ‘v can be together forever IF I WANT’ she still isn’t sure whether she wants to be Stefan’s ‘eternal mate’ Y? Because she loves Damon

Sharon

Posted at 9:00 AM on October 13, 2012

I’m going to remind everyone of the conversation Elena had with Damon via phone in the S3 finale:. She said that she never “un-fell” for Stefan….well, it stands to reason that if Damon “consumes” her, than those feelings just didn’t go away because she chose Stefan, either. Time will tell how this plays out.

Serena

Posted at 8:42 AM on October 13, 2012

as much as i’m duying to see DELENA happen, Elena made it pretty clear she absolutely loves Stefan in this episode, so now, after 3 years i finally lost any hope i had. ALTHOUGH, having been a loyal fan of TVD and having watched so many tv series over the years, i have to think that maybe the writers did this on purpose? so it wouldn’t be obvious that DE is endgame? i don’t know..

Gummy Bears

Posted at 6:53 AM on October 13, 2012

I love DE and all, but I’m finding it really hard to picture Elena choosing Damon. I don’t think she’ll ever understand how much he loves her, and that makes her the biggest idiot of them all.

LE

Posted at 3:48 PM on October 13, 2012

Amen. I like the idea of Delena, but I think at this point, Elena is so delusional and rude to Damon that she really needs to earn HIS love if they are ever to be together.

nicki

Posted at 11:01 PM on October 12, 2012

Also once again people are ignoring the wonderful acting by Paul Wesley and KAT GRAHAM. It upsets me how people only care about Nina and Ian. Get over yourselves. Ian isn’t even the lead male, Paul is.

maria

Posted at 1:37 AM on October 13, 2012

the acting by Ian was a heck of a lot better, as usally. Paul as usally had that flat look to him, and i like paul as a person.. He is not the lead actor there is three, Ian , Nina and Paul, if you want to get realy technical ,Ian is the highest paid actor on the show .

tvdlover4ever

Posted at 10:30 AM on October 13, 2012

I don’t think anyone is ignoring them, this article just isn’t ABOUT them.

nicki

Posted at 10:58 PM on October 12, 2012

Elena never said that she “Loves” or “Loved” Damon. She has never said that, all she’s said is that she has “feelings” for him. nice try. People tend to ignore what Elena says. “You were the best choice I’ve ever made.” – Elena to Stefan (4×01) “I can’t think about forever.” – Elena to Damon.(not sure what episode.) “I’ll be with you, Forever” – Elena to Stefan (4×01) …

Elise Stephens

Posted at 1:17 AM on October 13, 2012

You might want to check your quotes. “I can’t think about forever” was in 3.22 when she was talking to Damon about her and Stefan. She said she couldn’t think about forever with Stefan, only about now. So, while your other quotes may support your argument, you might want to work on that one. The truth of the matter is that Elena plays both Damon and Stefan. She’s wishy washy, immature, and annoying and frankly I would give just about anything for them to have Damon get completely over her and get a new love interest who can appreciate him and not his self-righteous little hypocrite of a brother. Elena and Stefan can have each other. Thankfully I have a mute button so I can just mute their saccharin teenage bullcrap and watch the parts of the show still worth watching.

maria

Posted at 1:47 AM on October 13, 2012

They will never give damon that because damon totally in love with somebody else and that person totally in love with damon, that couple would be huge.

Destini

Posted at 4:50 AM on October 13, 2012

Actually, she did say she loved him.. When he was about to die so yeah.. More then enough love. (:

Destini

Posted at 4:52 AM on October 13, 2012

Oh and I forgot the kiss! So yeah!

Sharon

Posted at 9:02 AM on October 13, 2012

Elena also told Matt in 3.22 that Damon “consumes” her.

LIzett

Posted at 7:21 PM on October 12, 2012

you people are stupid elena is currently with stefan so lets just leave it at that and plus we all know elena is way better with stefan if you but your biases aside

Clare

Posted at 8:11 PM on October 12, 2012

Yeah right, and you’re probably on of these people that think Stefan is a perfect saint and knight in shining armour. Bias much too? You must of missed his lies, the hundreds of names on his wall, the bridge incident and not having the balls to put Elena first instead of a friend in a life and death situation which well, left her DEAD. How is he better?

kougie757

Posted at 9:02 PM on October 12, 2012

By you saying she is better with Stefan, aren’t you excercizing a bias as well? Get over yourself please, your opinion isn’t the only one that matters.

CC

Posted at 7:14 PM on October 12, 2012

Thanks for trying to keep the DE hopes up.

But I realize more and more that for the writers, Damon is just an obstacle for their epic Stelena to overcome. Let’s face it, they are boring without him.

Posted at 2:23 AM on October 13, 2012

I disagree. To me Stefan is the obstacle, and SE is just boring.

Destini

Posted at 4:57 AM on October 13, 2012

Same here! I want to see DE. SE is just dieing out.

Crystal

Posted at 5:54 PM on October 12, 2012

I think you hit it on the head with the ‘control’ part… Stefan does whatever she wants… Damon does what’s best for her, putting her first always… I think the most telling part of the episode was when she admitted that she was ready to die. I don’t think Stefan understood that… I think he will begin to question doing everything she wants because her motives are exactly clear to him anymore… just a hunch…

kelly

Posted at 5:52 PM on October 12, 2012

Elena loves Stefan. Damon loves Katherine. The only reason he wants Elena now is because Katherine said no to him. Think about it, Damon said to Kat. Just tell me you love me and I’ll go off with you and forget the past. Kat said no, then Damon wanted the lookalike Elena.

maria

Posted at 1:58 AM on October 13, 2012

actually stefan is the one that came around elena because of katherina,he loves the good version of katherina, damon fell in love with elena and loves her for Herself and has allways been honest with her, unlike Stefan. Elena loves the stefan that saved her and she thinks she is supposed to love him because like she said to matt , he makes her feel save,So while she loves Stefan She is in love with damon and is afraid to admit it.

Lacy (@lace0586)

Posted at 1:30 PM on October 13, 2012

Man you really look outside the box don’t you? Hopefully that is not ALL you have got out of this show since it started. I’ll pray for you!

Jhon

Posted at 5:48 PM on October 12, 2012

All I want and ALL i hope is to see
Damon and Elena together. I do not
understand why Julie Plec insists in SE. 80%
of fans want DE. I’m so so so sad.

Fairy

Posted at 5:29 PM on October 12, 2012

Great article Andy! This is exactely how I see it…ELENA IS IN LOVE with Damon no doubt about that and I hope she’ll finally admit it to herself because the way she’s treating him now is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. After everything he has done for her..Damon FU%^Ing deserves the truth. He deserves to be happy too and if Elena Can’t be the one then it should be someone who truly loves him!

Maria

Posted at 4:50 PM on October 12, 2012

She’ll always love both. There wouldn’t be one without the other.

juanita

Posted at 3:58 PM on October 12, 2012

I LOVE HEART DONT SEE FRIGHT AND BIT NIGHT BLOOD ELENA. LOVE !!!!!!!!!!

Letty

Posted at 3:21 PM on October 12, 2012

I LOVE you Andy! I really needed to hear this <333 Delena

jan

Posted at 1:42 PM on October 12, 2012

Proves that Elena is really good at making terrible choices. .why does she have to pick Stefan?!

Dd

Posted at 1:29 PM on October 12, 2012

i actually dnt get it… i dnt know what to think anymore….its all so weird strange and its season 1 all over again…… “stefan” because of tht idiot u are dead today..omg i dnt get her…. was a good start tho although didnt understand the end wth… mmmm bit dissapointed? yupp….