IT Expert Kills Wife & Two Young Kids Over Bounced Check

Thu, October 4, 2012 8:09pm EDT by 9 Comments
Thomas Mortimer guilty murder
Handout Photos

An enraged husband and father of two slashed the throats of his son, 4, and daughter, 2, after he stabbed his wife and mother-in-law to death. He pled guilty to the murder charges — read on for more of the shocking details.

Thomas Mortimer IV, 45, pled guilty to first-degree murder on Oct. 3 in Boston for slaying his wife and two kids, and stabbing his mother-in-law to death in a horrific attack on his family after a financial disagreement with his wife set him into a rage.

According to district attorney Adrienne Lynch, Thomas beat his wife with a frying pan and then stabbed her in the head and body more than 50 times after she confronted him about a $2,499 check he had written to the IRS that bounced.

When his mother-in-law tried to flee the house during the attack, he stabbed her 18 times and dragged her lifeless body back into the house. He then turned the knife on his two-year-old daughter, who was awake in her crib, and his four-year-old son, who witnessed all of the brutal attacks.

Prosecutors say the murders were the result of ongoing marital problems, mostly about finances. The IT specialist had been unemployed for a year, but recently started a job at a software company.

Authorities found a typed note at the scene, in which he wrote, “I did these horrible things. What I have done is extremely selfish and cowardly. I took the easy way out. I am ashamed, frightened, relieved, surprised that I murdered my family, disgusted with myself… it was not supposed to be this way.”

The 45-year-old will spend the rest of his life in jail for the murders that Middlesex Superior Court Judge S. Jane Haggerty described as “unimaginable and gruesome.”

What a tragedy. Do YOU think life in prison is enough HollyMoms?

More tragic parenting news:

1. MLB Pitcher Pat Neshek’s Newborn Son Dies 23 Hours After Birth
  2. Surgeon’s Ex-Wife Strangles Four-Year-Old Son In Custody Battle
  3. Three-Year-Old Boy Falls Out Of Window To His Death

BluntForceTrauma

Posted at 4:59 PM on October 5, 2012

Why let him be free in prison, just stab him once a day til he dies from a slow painful death!!!

Nadia

Posted at 3:03 PM on October 5, 2012

This is disgusting.. Im speechless when i read about crimes like this.. Crazy people in this world .. Let him rot in jail..

Keno

Posted at 10:50 AM on October 5, 2012

He should be made to wear a shirt in prison that reads “I killed my kids”
That should be the end of him.

JJ

Posted at 9:24 AM on October 5, 2012

Ok, I can understand the Mother in law, but come on… the kids!!!

BEWARE OF MEN EASILY PRONE TO STRESS!!!!!

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 4, 2012

LADIES, a huge RED FLAG to look for is when a man cannot handle pressure or stress too well. This crazy psychopath said: “Ultimately, I did these horrible things because I COULD NOT COPE with the responsibilities I took upon myself.” He’s referring to being a husband and a parent and all the responsibilities that come with that. It was on Yahoo News. He was having money problems and lost it when the wife confronted him about a bounced check to the IRS he had written. We all know you don’t mess with the IRS. He had probably been aggressive or atleast verbally abusive or hostile before when he was under stress and there were probably many other red flags that were ignored. I just wish he would have shown his true colors BEFORE this poor woman even married this sick crazy man. So be wary of men like this that cannot handle stress to well.

Anthony @ UCLA

Posted at 9:18 PM on October 4, 2012

I think women are more EMOTIONALLY EXPRESSIVE but the truth is BOTH men and women are equally as emotional. Men have a lot of emotions they just don’t express them as openly. A man may feel just as sad as a woman but the woman cries whereas the man doesn’t. This (along with sexism and lack of respect for women in our society) is what has led to women being called the “Crazier” gender. ……. And while both women and men equally feel emotions, men act out on the NEGATIVE EMOTIONS (rage, anger, suicide, violence) much more than women. They have lower impulse control.

Olivia

Posted at 9:09 PM on October 4, 2012

‘Selfish and cowardly?’ How about ‘I’m a raging sociopath who ruined the lives of dozens of people by brutally murdering my entire family because my cheque bounced.’

JENNIFER

Posted at 8:53 PM on October 4, 2012

And they say WOMEN ARE CRAZY! Yeah right. It’s every day that I hear about a man either murdering his co-workers or butchering his wife and kids. Men are obviously more unstable, aggressive, violent, impulsive and dangerous than women could ever be. Men are way more crazier than women.

Perk

Posted at 6:15 AM on October 5, 2012

This is not about what sex is crazier then the other. It’s about a sick bastard that is a coward. Took the life away from is innocent baby’s, their mother, and grandmother. I hope he gets the maximum penalty and rots in hell.