‘Teen Mom Farewell’: Catelynn & Tyler Desperately Want Carly At Wedding

Wed, October 3, 2012 3:55pm EST by 31 Comments
Catelynn Lowell Tyler Baltierra Teen Mom Farewell
Courtesy of MTV

During the ‘Teen Mom Farewell Special,’ engaged couple Tyler and Catelynn opened up about how badly they want daughter Carly at their wedding, and their fears that her adoptive parents won’t allow her to come. Watch the clip.

After the series finale of Teen Mom, fan favorites Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra are moving on from reality TV to happily ever after. The couple officially set the date for their wedding — July 13, 2013 — and during the Teen Mom Farewell Special on Oct. 2, they wrestled with the difficult decision to invite their daughter Carly, whom they placed up for adoption.

Although Catelynn and Tyler have an open adoption with Carly, they have been struggling over the past three years to earn the trust of her adoptive parents Brandon and Teresa.

Tyler desperately wants Carly at their wedding, if only for the vow ceremony. But with visitation between Carly and her birth parents already extremely limited, Catelynn does not think that’s a possibility.

“They’re not going to, they didn’t even go to our graduation because our whole family was there, there’s not way they’d come to our wedding,” she snapped.

“Yeah but, I mean it’d be important and how nice would it be to get married and see her there,” Tyler answered.

They met with their adoption counselor Dawn a few days later, who suggested that since they’ve earned the trust of Carly’s parents, they should reach out to Brandon and Teresa and give them a few weeks to think about coming to the wedding.

“That’s what adults do,” Dawn said. “You put it out there, and you’re going to respect each other, but you guys honestly have to be prepared for whatever answer they give.”

“It’s their decision,” she continued. “You need to start [asking their permission] now, and you need to start easing into that conversation, and giving them some time to process that.”

Although Brandon and Teresa still haven’t made their final decision, hopefully they and Carly can make it to the wedding to support Catelynn and Tyler.

It’s amazing to see how much this couple has grown up over the past three years! Check out the clip below.

Get More:
Teen Mom (Season 4), Full Episodes

HollyMoms?

MTV

– Christina Stiehl

More Teen Mom news:

1. ‘Teen Mom’ Catelynn Lowell’s Dad Confirms She Is Filming A Spin-Off
  2. ‘Teen Mom’ Reunion Part 1: Catelynn Makes Big Announcement
  3. ‘Teen Mom’ Preview: Catelynn Relives Pain Of Saying Bye To Baby Carly — VIDEO

mari

Posted at 12:59 AM on October 10, 2013

i think that it should be a yes bkuz wen the adopted parents accepted carly they new it was a open adoption and there fore cant say anything to cate n tyler and yes I wouldnt ever dp wat they did but yet the being close to carly is a gud bkuz of the simply point that carly eventually will grow up.turn 18 and she will noe whether to keep in touch with her parents or not I think she will because regarless they still in her life and regardless of there desion of open adoption they love there daughter as the same for the adpted parents they love her to and shes a luckly child for have 4 parents (:

Laloba Solitaria

Posted at 12:39 PM on July 31, 2013

Oh my goodness, can’t you 2 leave Carly alone? Adoptive parents: Aren’t you tired of these 2 people constantly bothering you????? It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Catelyn got pregnant again, just to trap that sucker Tyler for life. Stop the madness! Let Carly’s parents live a peaceful, private life with THEIR daughter. You 2 just don’t get it. You gave her to a nice, stable, couple- now can’t you just leave them alone? You are making $ from all of this. I don’t think there is anything cute about you two money grubbing bozos. Get lost.

valerie34

Posted at 7:10 PM on May 16, 2013

This child is their daughter and always will be, how can they one on. They thought they were being responsible, they said they have co parenting and Carly should be there. Look at the ffirenze with jenelle she is into herself. Treating her mom horrible and visits Jace as if it was her brother
She could have him and doesn’t

missbiebermania

Posted at 8:17 AM on April 28, 2013

i think carly should and shouldnt go coz if she goes tyler and catelynn might get too attached but if she dont go the couple will be upset their daughter wasnt there sooo i dunno,… im 13 and i can come up wit that answer then why couldnt tyler and catelynn ????

Louise, UK

Posted at 9:38 AM on January 16, 2013

I wonder if Catelynn and Tyler knew then what they know now if they wouldn’t of gone through with the adoption after all. It really saddens me to see them get emotional and make comments that make you think perhaps they regret giving Carly up. I’d like to ask Catelynn and Tyler if this “open adoption” is exactly how they expected it to be?? I get a feeling they expected to have a lot more contact with Carly, Brandon and Teresa, than what appears to be the case for the foreseeable future.

Deidre Windsor

Posted at 10:59 PM on January 14, 2013

It is time they understand this little child is NOT their child….they choose not to raise her and put her with a lovely couple….they have no right to intrude on this couple and I am sure the couple are uncomfortable with their desire to have her included in their lives. I know they adopted another child and should have the right to enjoy their little ones without dealing with the two birth parents mistaken belief that Carly should share their lives.

Jaim

Posted at 4:39 PM on January 6, 2013

And of course, as adoptive parents, it is their decision as to what’s best for their daughter. But, it shouldn’t be done out of fear, unless there is a reason for it. Being insecure of what your place is in your child’s life is YOUR problem, and that shouldn’t become your child’s problem. If birth parents have issues and there are legitimate reasons to avoid contract, then that is totally understandable. If there are birth family members you aren’t comfortable with, these are issues to discuss and work out. But if birth parents have done nothing to be afraid of, or show destructive or irresponsible behavior, then what is there to fear and avoid contact with? This then goes to adoptive parents fears and insecurities. Just because birth parents made a choice to place their child for adoption due to whatever life circumstances they felt were too difficult to raise a child in, doesn’t mean they don’t love their child and should be denied contact. If you are open and honest with your child and explain things in an age appropriate way, there shouldn’t be problems or confusion. But this would again be about educating yourself about children’s cognitive abilities, and not fearing birth parents are going to “steal” your child away from you once they know you’re not their “real” parents. Stereotypes, misinformation, little or no educating, and little to no dealing with your own fears and grief continue to push adoptive relationships to the dark corner, instead of the open where they belong. Counseling and support are also a huge part of the equation that both birth and adoptive parents need to have throughout life.

sara

Posted at 7:39 PM on December 30, 2012

Catelynn and Tyler need to grow up and move on. They gave their daughter up for adoption and are to be commended for that. It was a brave and selfless thing to do. The fact that the adoptive parents keep them in the loop regarding the child’s life is wonderful. But they need to back off and not expect this child to be present in their lives. They gave her up now they just need to let her go.

Jess

Posted at 11:03 PM on November 11, 2012

I will say though that I have a HUGE amount of respect for Catelynn and Tyler’s choice for Carly. They have always been my favorite couple on Teen Mom. I’m merely trying to point out the a “REAL” parent isn’t always a biological thing.

Jess

Posted at 11:00 PM on November 11, 2012

As an adoptive parent myself, I can understand needing time to process and weigh out the ramifications of when & where I let my daughter’s birth mother see her (and my girl’s birth mom is actually my sister in law). I understand the distrust. Yes, she gave me a gift but she gave her to me because she couldn’t take care of her. I had fears too that once she got on her feet, she would want her back or that she would tell my daughter things that I wasn’t comfortable with. It has always MINE and MY HUSBAND’S choice as to how our daughter will receive the information on the adoption and how it should be introduced. That is not being selfish because WE are the ones who have to deal with any emotions that go along with it…not the birth mother. That is merely protecting my child from being hurt and confused and exposing her to information or situations she is not ready for. I couldn’t imagine doing it on national TV. My child has known I wasn’t her birth mom since she was 2 and she knows who her birth mom is. I think Catelynn and Tyler are wonderful and I honestly don’t believe they would do anything malicious to ruin Carly’s relationship with her adoptive family. But I hate to break it to everyone…I am my child’s REAL mom. I take care of her through good and bad, I support her emotionally and financially. People cannot give a child up for adoption and then play the role on convenience. A biological relation has nothing to do with being a “REAL” parent or not.

ck

Posted at 5:14 PM on December 30, 2012

Well said.

Priscilla

Posted at 10:27 PM on November 11, 2012

I do not feel that Carly should go to the wedding UNLESS, the adoptive parents decide that is something they are very comfortable with. I feel that Tyler was manipulated by his mother to force Catelynn to give her baby away. However, when they gave their daughter up for adoption, they also gave away all rights to make any decisions regarding their daughter. The adoptive parents stepped in to take care of their daughter because Tyler and Catellyn were told they were not capible of caring for her and they sadly lacked the support system from their own parents to care for their daughter, so their desires are really minute. I love Tyler and Catellyn, but Tyler’s mother should have stepped in and supported her grandchild, and not have been so closed minded. catelynn’s mother was struggling with a drug addiction, so she had a legitimate excuse, but what’ Tyler’s mother reason for not wanting to care for her own grandchild? She didn’t mind taking Butch (Tyler’s Father) into her home to care for him. Why not a innocent baby that’s her grandchild? Then she complains about the adoptive parents not becoming BFF’s with her? SMH

jc

Posted at 9:36 PM on October 12, 2012

Carly should go so she would know who her parents are. Later on in life if the adoption was closed Braydon and Tarissa would’ve told Carly that she was adopter. So now Carly can know at a young age who her real parents are and why they gave her up for adoption and want be angry, mad, or confused with her birth parents (Catelynn and Tyler).

sara

Posted at 7:41 PM on December 30, 2012

The people who raise a child are his or her “real” parents. Just providing sperm or giving birth doesn’t make you “real” parents, it makes you the biological parents. There’s a difference.

dee

Posted at 12:29 AM on October 5, 2012

this is why all adoptions should be closed.
they’re not parents. theyre just a mom a dad. they choose other people to become parents of their daughter. they need to let go and jut expect that carly is going to be at every event. she has parents and she has her own life with them. not with catellyn and tyler. they need to accept it and stop being selfish

Ashley

Posted at 2:05 PM on October 4, 2012

Some of these comments are wrong.. I think Carly should be able to come to the wedding(: even though is was adopted tyler and Catelynn are still the actual parents of her. If tyler and Cateylnn wants Carly to come to there wedding then they should talk to Carly adopted parents about it. If I decide to give my child for a adopted i would talk to the adopted parents. I’m teenager.. goin on 18 I’m not pregnant I’m just saying..

Lisa

Posted at 2:10 PM on October 4, 2012

DAH! That’s our point. Glad you came on to tell us.

Laura

Posted at 12:06 PM on October 4, 2012

Carly is not there daughter they gave her up for adoption so therefore she is not considered a daughter anymore! They just need to let carly live her life with her realy parents!

Goober

Posted at 12:53 PM on October 4, 2012

In a regular adoption, I would agree, but this isn’t the case. This is an “OPEN” adoption. Doesn’t work that way.

jc

Posted at 9:41 PM on October 12, 2012

Catelynn and Tyler are her Real parents!

CC

Posted at 1:22 PM on November 5, 2012

no..they are BIOLOGICAL parents. REAL parents are the ones that are there for here and take care of her every day, aka her adoptive parents..

beyonice yelloqw

Posted at 6:23 PM on October 3, 2012

that is up to the adpoition parents and I understand What Catelynn & tyler are saying about their Daughter Carly

Mom

Posted at 5:49 PM on October 3, 2012

I say even if the tot cannot be there ther wedding day, make life size photos of Cary to put around the hall. That no one gets hurt.

Lisa

Posted at 5:56 PM on October 3, 2012

Not the same. They need to UNINVITE Tylers dad and her mom THEN, AND ONLY THE, THEY MIGHT GET THEIR WISH. Those two drunks and addicts are ruining EVERYTHING for those kids!

Lisa

Posted at 4:24 PM on October 3, 2012

Those kids have changed their lives around. They need to give them a break. They gave them the best gift ever, Selfish.

Samantha

Posted at 11:45 AM on October 4, 2012

Lisa I could not agree more. If it were not for them they would not have Carly now. My opinion is that these two were young, didnt have family support, and got dooped by Bethany Christian Services which is the place they went to have Carly placed with a family. Im sorry but seeing Carly once per year and getting a few pictures every 6-7 months is not an open adoption. Its a semi closed one. Yes, there is a big difference in that too. If they had known then what they know now they couldve made a better decision about who to place her with or what kind of terms they wanted from the adoptive family. Cate and Ty couldve sat down and wrote what THEY wanted like that they want the child brought to their graduation, to their wedding someday. that they want pictures every 3 months, they want 4 visits with the child per year not one, that they can take her out alone on a day trip 2 times in the summer etc. I think they should speak to young people more about making an adoption plan that includes finding a family for a child that will agree to the terms the birth parents want or they dont get the child simple as that. Theres so many stories online about people who did just that and are so thankful they did. I also found so many comments from people who feel sorry for these two that they werent better informed of the option to do this to protect their hearts. Did you know that Brandon and Teresa wont allow them to post anymore recent photos of Carly on their Facebook or other social accounts til she is 18? They also will not allow cameras around her filming anymore til she is 18 also. Thats why the latest once per year visit they had with Carly this season on Teem mom wasnt filmed only photos were shown on air and only ones approved by Theresa. These two are way over the top selfish I think and I think theyre getting worse as she gets older

Goober

Posted at 11:56 AM on October 4, 2012

I agree. For some reason they feel thretened. These kids gave them a gift and nobody gave them the reason all this is happening. They did a great thing. Now they’re being selfish. Hope it doesn’t backfire when Carly gets older. All they want is a few hours and some pictures.

Laloba Solitaria

Posted at 1:13 PM on July 31, 2013

Disagree. Tyler and Caitlyn cannot have their cake and eat it too. They gave their daughter to a very nice couple. Perhaps “too nice”, I have the impression that they want their privacy because they deserve it. T and C are showing just how irresponsible they are. They want to parade someone else’s daughter on reality tv. The real parents are the ones who have cared for this child,raised her, stayed up all night for illnesses and feeding. T and C are not Carly’s parents! I know that this nice, stable, couple, hade NO IDEA that these two kids would turn their daughters life into a confusing, (for Carly) public, reality show circus. It just isn’t right for them. They are under no obligation to cater to T and C’s media loving whims. T and C need to leave them alone to raise their daughter in peace. If T and C truly love Carly, they should back off, for the child’s sake.

Alexis Morris

Posted at 12:13 PM on September 28, 2014

Brandon and Teresa aren’t Carly’s baby sitters! it is not appropriate for Carly to go on over nighters or day trips with Catelynn and Tyler. A closed adoption is not enforceable by law. Brandon and Teresa can make all decisions, even if they put in the birth plan all that they wanted, it doesn’t mean that they can have it and to think so is very childish. Brandon and Teresa are grown adults with children and careers, etc. they just cannot drop everything and go running when Cate and Tyler want to see Carly. smh.

jc

Posted at 9:40 PM on October 12, 2012

I agree with you. I think if they would’ve kept Carly they would’ve been great parents to her! They would’ve have to worry about having to see there own daughter.

Jillian

Posted at 2:02 PM on November 6, 2012

I agree with Samantha. Seems to be a semi closed adoption. Do Teresa and Brandon LOVE Tyler and Catelyn like they say they do??? I wonder..if they did they would have more generous hearts towards the teens. If it were me I would allow Carley to be the pairs ‘flower girl.’ Thats truly showing LOVE. And at the end of the day isn’t it like Teresa and Brandon are going to a friends wedding??? And their little girl has been asked to be the flower girl? I’m sure they would allow it with REAL FRIENDS of theirs. Also addicts Alcoholics or what ever the grandparents need to meet their granddaughter. They might not be around in 18 years. That should have been factored into the adoption contract. The efforts of Brandon and Teresa are tokenistic to say the least, its like they don’t want to come face to face with the grandparents for other reasons…like the fact they ‘throw crumbs’ to Catelyn and Tyler rather than a genuine open adoption. If Teresa and Brandon carry on this way it will only take their adoptive daughter to watch the series back to see what they are really like and how much her parents deserved to be in her life more. At 18 I see her ditching her adoptive parents for her birth parents if they continue to be selfish in this way. Carma! Brandon and Teresa! Do whats right, not what the letter law or a contract says. These kids are special and so is their daughter. I personally would not have picked you as adoptive parents you were all nice in the beginning and then turned as soon as you had that baby in your hands. Fake to get what you want, then token as the whole world is watching! I actually think you would have been extra selfish and distant if the show wasn’t being made. If you LOVE these kids and their daughter show it! All the way from New Zealand!