‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 9 Scoop: ‘Calzona’ In Trouble & Izzie Returns?

Thu, September 27, 2012 2:52pm EDT by 10 Comments
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 2012
Courtesy of ABC

‘Grey’s Anatomy’ returns on Thursday, Sept. 27, and we have all the juicy details on season 9, thanks to HollywoodLife.com’s sister site TVLine! Read on for all the details.

The eighth season of Grey’s Anatomy ended with a plane crash, tragically taking the life of Lexie Grey (Chyler Leigh). While creator Shonda Rhimes promises a sexy, fun season nine, there are a number of hurdles we must get through first!

Derek’s In Denial

“The first couple of episodes, [Derek's] trying to perform surgery, and it’s not working,” Patrick Dempsey tells TVLine.com of the damage to his hand after the plane crash, “so he has to make an adjustment. I’m anxious to see where we end up going with it.”

Luckily, Derek has Callie in his corner, who makes fixing Derek’s hand a priority of hers.

“I think that she absolutely puts pressure on herself [to repair Derek's hand],” Sara Ramirez says. “That’s kind of who she is. I think that she probably has some fear around what all the possibilities are. And how involved to get. And that ultimately comes back to her own belief in herself, or lack thereof.”

‘Calzona’ Trouble

While Sarah remained quiet on the future of Callie’s relationship with Arizona (Jessica Capshaw), she did give insight to how the fans feel about “Calzona” as a couple. “Jessica and I talk about this a lot, and we’re both really grateful that people are invested,” Sara adds. “I know I am. And we hope that they will continue on this journey with us, because it’s definitely going to be an intense one.”

Intense is definitely the keyword. (Gulp.)

The Return of Izzie?

I, along with millions are fans, are anxiously awaiting the return of Izzie (Katherine Heigl). Could it be this season? Not quite. We won’t get Katherine herself back, but in a way, we are getting a piece of Izzie!

“She’s very strong-willed — she reminds me of Izzie in a way,” Kevin McKidd describes new intern Wilson (Camilla Luddington). “She has very strong views. And Owen, being the chief, has to rub up against her and sort of get into ethical battles with her, so it’s interesting to see that.”

Meredith/Cristina Episode

A special episode based solely on Meredith and Cristina (Sandra Oh) is planned for this season. The premise of the episode has been kept a secret until now!

“Usually, we do one episode a year where it’s all Meredith,” Ellen Pompeo explains. “And this season, they decided to do Meredith and Cristina to break it up a little bit and just focus on two people. They’re individual storylines, but in our own storylines, it’s sort of ALL us. [Mer's storyline] has a super-critical patient. The underlying subtext of my medical case, as usual, is dealing with issues of like my sister’s death. Emotionally, things that I haven’t dealt with, I sort of play out through taking care of this patient.”

Meredith’s storyline will be based in Seattle Grace while Cristina’s will be at her new job at the Mayo Clinic.

How do you feel about all the scoop for season nine, HollywoodLifers? Are YOU looking forward to the season premiere and all that’s planned for the future?

ABC

TVLine

— Chris Rogers

More Grey’s Anatomy:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Shocker: Eric Dane Announces His Departure
  2. ‘Bunheads’ Creator Responds To Shonda Rhimes’ Diversity Criticism: ‘It’s A Shame’
  3. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Killed Off The Wrong Character — Fans Are Furious

Slexie Luver

Posted at 6:00 AM on March 30, 2014

Ummm… The last time Izzie n Alex happened, their relationship went boom !! Even though I admit Jo Wilson/Camilla Luddington is an awesome actress, she’s not like Izzie

Heather

Posted at 7:35 PM on March 15, 2013

they should bring izzie back. I loved Alex and Izzie together !

Charis

Posted at 4:12 PM on October 10, 2012

I am hating this season so far, and it is only 2 episodes in. This is one of my favourite shows, but I really dislike the way things have started off. And from currengt spoilers I will not be liking it much more than I already do. I ams eriously considering bycoting the whole season.

jay

Posted at 11:50 PM on September 27, 2012

I will be so sad if Izzie returns. She was my least favorite character ever. To kill off characters like George, Lexie, and Mark but keep the emotional trainwrecks like April or Izzie Stevens is a decision that baffles me.

rachel

Posted at 6:48 PM on December 21, 2012

Izzie was amazing…u shod reallllyyyy shut up…
She was alwasys happy and outgoing and fun
she doesnt deserve to leave!
Shes awesom….
U suk

LittleMo

Posted at 10:59 PM on September 27, 2012

After what that c__t Shonda Rimes did to the Mark/Lexie fans for 3 years – “just wait, it’s coming, hang in there, etc.” – like making a donkey run after a carrot. We got Mark and Lexie for all of 5 minutes – literally – and they kill off Lexie. It’s like having that donkey finally catch the carrot only to find out that the only the very tip was an actual carrott and the rest was just colored rubber. Yet viewers got year after year of the callie and arizona show.

LittleBear

Posted at 10:45 AM on October 3, 2012

You do know that Lexie (Chyler Leigh) wanted to leave the show…?

Charis

Posted at 4:10 PM on October 10, 2012

Viewers got Years of Mark interfering with Callie and Arizona’s relationship casue he kept screwing up his own relationship. That said I was sad to see both Lexie and Mark (even though I never liked his character) die. I am going to go with Izzie does not return this season.

daniel (@daniel41896022)

Posted at 8:03 PM on September 27, 2012

I quit working at shoprite and now I make $35h – $80h…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. Heres what I do, >>> Workpc.notlong.comOPEN THIS LINK TO READ MORE

Cara