‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Creator Kurt Sutter Defends ‘Gut-Wrenching’ Death

Wed, September 26, 2012 3:58pm EDT by 125 Comments
Sons of Anarchy Opie death
Courtesy of FX

‘Sons of Anarchy’ fans were furious when a beloved character was killed Sept. 25, but Kurt promises the big death serves a much larger purpose.

If you still haven’t recovered from last night’s shocking Sons of Anarchy death, you’re not alone. Fans have been tweeting their anger, confusion and sadness to creator Kurt Sutter all day — but during a conference call with reporters Sept. 26, the showrunner justified his “gut-wrenching” decision: “It’s not a death that will happen in vain.”

Kurt explained that Opie’s (Ryan Hurst) death was a necessary event, one that will instill a sense of duty and purpose in the show’s “hero,” Jax (Charlie Hunnam).

“This is the first [season] I’ve had to think about the end game, and knowing where I wanted to get my hero and knowing how I wanted to get there, the road I wanted him to travel,” Kurt said. “Jax needed that emotional upheaval, that one event that happens in a mans life that can change the course of his destiny — the death of his best friend was [that].”

Kurt also noted that, although Ryan initially struggled to accept his character’s fate, he eventually realized “the importance of it in the mythology of the show.”

“It’s a difficult thing,” Kurt admitted. “[Ryan] is very plugged into the show and loves the character, and Ryan is a super-sensitive dude, so it was difficult for both of us to figure out how to do this.”

You’re probably still bummed about Opie’s death, but do you feel better after reading Kurt’s explanation? Drop us a comment with your (new) thoughts on the show’s tragic loss.

— Andy Swift

More Sons of Anarchy on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Shocker: Which Major Character Was Killed Off?

Linda McCallisster

Posted at 10:56 PM on September 26, 2012

I bet you’re banking on that everybody will forgive you for this, that we’ll forget and tune back in – not me, Buster, I’m done. I jumped off the bed and had to leave the room! You used to be a good writer and a good judge of character. Maybe you’re trying to leave the show too. You seem to think all the fans care about is Jax being the hero! I think he’s a wonderful actor, along with Ron Perleman and Katie Segal. But what you’ve done is unforgiveable. Might have been different if Ryan Hurst wanted to leave the show, still would have been hard, but the fact you bootef off such a wonderful actor and character – you suck!

Spider

Posted at 10:55 PM on September 26, 2012

I guess I find myself shocked that so many people are so upset by this. I ride with a club, and am more than familiar with the club life. While not nearly as dramatic and eventful as this show (it is after all, fiction) there are certain realities that come with club life; one being the possibility of getting your head bashed in or catching a bullet. Some of the people you run into are extremely, unbelievably violent. These guys are hardly endearing. Hell, my own brothers aren’t endearing, just loyal to a fault, same as me. The fact that somebody got beat to death is the closest thing to reality that I’ve seen on this show.

Linda McCallisster

Posted at 11:09 PM on September 26, 2012

You wrote ‘the fact that somebody got beat to death is the closest thing blah blah blah,’ – not SOMEBODY – OPIE – you missed the POINT Spider!

Spider

Posted at 11:23 PM on September 26, 2012

Nah, I got the point. It was a good character, obviously your favorite. That’s cool. I understand your perspective. From mine though, it could be anyone at any time.

Linda McCallisster

Posted at 10:45 PM on September 26, 2012

No, I do NOT feel better about the death of Opie, the character, or the loss of one of the finest actors on the show. You could have taken Jax where he needed to go without writing this in, what’s wrong with you, you’re supposed to have the fans’ interest in mind as well! I’m done with this show, this was just TOO much of a disappointment, I can get that in my real life.

asfandancer

Posted at 11:34 PM on September 26, 2012

Why is it that every time something happens on a show that a person doesn’t agree with they are always ready to jump ship? If you stop watching it will be your loss not the shows. If I want fantasy that’s what I read or watch, if I want heart stopping, raw brutality I’m more then willing to go down whatever road the creator wants to take me whether I agree with it or not.

Bianca

Posted at 10:28 PM on September 26, 2012

Boooo, still not impressed…. I love opie, don’t know anyone who doesn’t. Don’t know how he’s gonna recover from that one….

Crystal

Posted at 10:24 PM on September 26, 2012

I fell in love with this show the second I started watching it ! I feel and after reading others comments it felt likewatchung one of you own friends get killed right in front of u ! I stared in shock and felt like crying when it was done ! After reading your reasons I get why you probably had to do this but I think I speak on everyone’s behalf that we all didn’t see this coming and going to miss him on the show a great deal ! Keep up the amazing work bc thus show amazing . I truly don’t know one person that has watch it and said they didn’t think it was!

Sincerely crystal Van Driel
Oshawa on Canada

Kari

Posted at 8:48 PM on September 26, 2012

I feel better but am I the only one who felt like I lost a brother last night? Ok I get it every bad a:-) :-) has a reason why their one so jaxs reason will be opie I just hope like hell that had raises some hell and gives us soa fans something to look forward to after such a great loss R I P Op

Stefanie

Posted at 7:43 PM on September 26, 2012

Nope, don’t feel better, nope not at all. If Opie had to die in order for jax to become a hero, then he’s not hero material. Opie was. After last seasons desperate frantic “we must not kill Clay” gyrations, this is a nonsensical jumping- the-shark move – gratuitious, clumsy, cheap. I gave the show one more shot, and after trying to swallow gemmas and Taras new ” what pathetic side story can we throw at the women to keep them busy” storylines, opies death is it. Game over Kurt. Hardcore SOA fan from the pilot – gone.

barbara

Posted at 6:42 PM on September 26, 2012

i don’t believe jax needed this to change him, he has already changed repeatedly. jax and opie were the show and the two of them working together as a team to change the club would have been a good story. i think you could have amped up the drama by killing wendy and tara together, i don’t think either one of them advances the story in any way and if you keep killing club members at this rate there won’t be a club pretty soon.

Debora

Posted at 6:39 PM on September 26, 2012

So, Mr Kutter, you should change the name of the show to “JAX, MY HERO”, because, to me, SOA was about THE CLUB, not about one man !! Oõ

Brenda

Posted at 6:37 PM on September 26, 2012

This broke my heart my opi did not have to die! The snitch in the group should have been written off. I believe opi will come back if you think about it they didn’t show opi dead in the prison and on next week episode it’s going to be a close casket so he’s probably some where in a coma and will pop up in next years season. I am really hoping this as for it being only two season left I hope not I really look forward to this show in the fall!!!!!!!!

Annie

Posted at 8:17 PM on September 26, 2012

It was sad to see Opie die. If you think he didn’t then you need to look deeper into reality. His head was bashed in. Can’t wait to see how Jax takes care of the guard. Him telling him he will kill him. Let’s hope Kurt keeps Jax’s word and does so with him. Don’t let his feelings slide. Justice lies with that sentence. As for Tara, she needs to go. I would like to have seen Clay go. He set up Tig on 2 occasions. Knowing that his lie got Opie killed should come out immediately. Would give Jax a clear conscience in killing Clay after the deal goes thru. To see the FBI and CIA do nothing do keep Poe out was a depressing scene. You know they weren’t going to lift a finger. They want to control the situation and with Opie gone Jax will be easier to do what no one has been able to do. The anger that the club is going to feel will come out with a death. Bobby said it best, he can pick up a phone as easy as a bullet. I hope they make that call. I am still reeling from the brutality that Opie had to take from those disgusting animals. I don’t like to say who should have been in the box but I’m sure my choice would have been the same as many people. Prayers to his children now without a father who, even wasn’t there is better off then being a dead father.

Mel Ramsey

Posted at 5:24 PM on September 26, 2012

If there ever was anything that was “good” “pure” or “right” about this club, it was Opie and last night Sutter ripped that out of our hearts. All that’s left now, is a long bloody ride into hell !!!

patty

Posted at 5:03 PM on September 26, 2012

I AM going to add 1 more comment tho…..the fight should have been a one-on-one thing! It should have never been any more than that! Back home we call that PUSSY fighting! SOA has more class than that!

Joe

Posted at 5:00 PM on September 26, 2012

fuck no. still uncalled for…. kinda like Supernatural killing off Bobby. At least that show had a card to pull him back. Might be for the “greater good” but I think and feel its still a B.S. move.

Heather

Posted at 4:54 PM on September 26, 2012

Still in shock. Feels like I lost my best friend :( Knowing the reasoning doesn;t make it any less traumatic…sigh…

patty

Posted at 4:53 PM on September 26, 2012

PEOPLE….it CLEARLY explains “why opie” up above. it’s devistating, but apparently kurt sutter has something else in mind that will be a huge come back. can’t wait to see it!

VF

Posted at 4:52 PM on September 26, 2012

Finding out your step father killed your father wasn’t enough to change a man’s life so we have to kill off Opie? What not have Gemma kill Tara, or have the junkie whore kill Tara. That would change a man’s life. Give me a break.

Joe

Posted at 5:02 PM on September 26, 2012

agree with this one… kill off tara, shes fucking useless in the show, IMO anyways. Let Jax find his new way with her dead. bullshit.

jeana

Posted at 4:48 PM on September 26, 2012

STILL TRAUMATIZED .. Not hearing anything .. but seeing poor ole opies face .. man ..i need a zannie..

Carol

Posted at 4:48 PM on September 26, 2012

THATS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!! FUCKIN HORSE SHIT I TELL YOU!!!

VF

Posted at 4:52 PM on September 26, 2012

Well, make up your mind.
Is it bullshit or horseshit?

David Gibson

Posted at 4:45 PM on September 26, 2012

My comment still stays, I don’t understand how losing a friend would turn his life around for the good I think it’s only gonna make him take dangerous risks from anger and aggression and could end his story alone.. You guys let bobby live, bad choice and who is no where near into this club like Ope was.. He gave everything for them. I have followed this show since day one and never had the pain I felt last night watching him die. I’m sorry but Kurt you could of made a choice to keep him alive and still got Jax to be the man he needs to be, you did already when Abel was took :( feel free to email me tripp321baby@yahoo.com

Cb

Posted at 4:41 PM on September 26, 2012

If you don’t wanna watch the show anymore then don’t noone cares about you not watching the show anymore. With opie’s death it adds a new tail to the tape. Can’t wait for next week

lynne

Posted at 4:32 PM on September 26, 2012

I’m devastated that Opie got killed o!! My favorite character on the show!! I dont feel better knowing the reason they killed him off!! I’m pissed n sad he’s gone.. I may not watch the show anymore ater Op’s uneral.. You shouldn’t of killed him of!!!!!! :'(

jeana

Posted at 4:49 PM on September 26, 2012

It was diffidently a game changer for me !!

Ariel Rodriguez (@msarielmae)

Posted at 4:31 PM on September 26, 2012

No reasoning is good enough to kill off Opie. Sorry, but there could have been something else-I just know there could have been. Sutter is an interesting writer, and smart enough to do something else. Killing Opie was a terrible mistake. TERRIBLE

lynne

Posted at 4:33 PM on September 26, 2012

I agree!!!!!

Debora

Posted at 6:42 PM on September 26, 2012

I TOTALLY agree!!!

andy

Posted at 4:25 PM on September 26, 2012

Its suck opie death!!!!!

Zach Condon

Posted at 4:22 PM on September 26, 2012

Wow!!! I did not want it to be Opie. That being said I love SOA but one of my major complaints is that Sutter never actually pulls the trigger when it comes to his main characters. So I would be a hypocrite if I were to complain about how things unfolded. As much as I feel Opie added a great dimension to the show, how much shit can one man continue to take. It would have lost its value if they continued to torture Opie for 2 and a half more seasons, and if Opie had his life turn around and be happy that would go against the very nature of the show. The death itself, while brutal and captivating, felt a little forced. However, what won’t need to be forced, is all the story-lines this death has created. This feels a lot like The Shield when Lem died in the grenade explosion, and it set the show up for a roller coaster two season finish. Opie’s death with more than 2 seasons to go is showing that the end is coming for the members of SOA and that at any point another one of our favorite characters could meet their maker.

Charlotte

Posted at 4:20 PM on September 26, 2012

UGH!!! Still so mad about Opie. I get that Sutter needs to keep it interesting but why Opie???

lynne