‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Creator Kurt Sutter Defends ‘Gut-Wrenching’ Death

Wed, September 26, 2012 3:58pm EDT by 125 Comments
Sons of Anarchy Opie death
Courtesy of FX

‘Sons of Anarchy’ fans were furious when a beloved character was killed Sept. 25, but Kurt promises the big death serves a much larger purpose.

If you still haven’t recovered from last night’s shocking Sons of Anarchy death, you’re not alone. Fans have been tweeting their anger, confusion and sadness to creator Kurt Sutter all day — but during a conference call with reporters Sept. 26, the showrunner justified his “gut-wrenching” decision: “It’s not a death that will happen in vain.”

Kurt explained that Opie’s (Ryan Hurst) death was a necessary event, one that will instill a sense of duty and purpose in the show’s “hero,” Jax (Charlie Hunnam).

“This is the first [season] I’ve had to think about the end game, and knowing where I wanted to get my hero and knowing how I wanted to get there, the road I wanted him to travel,” Kurt said. “Jax needed that emotional upheaval, that one event that happens in a mans life that can change the course of his destiny — the death of his best friend was [that].”

Kurt also noted that, although Ryan initially struggled to accept his character’s fate, he eventually realized “the importance of it in the mythology of the show.”

“It’s a difficult thing,” Kurt admitted. “[Ryan] is very plugged into the show and loves the character, and Ryan is a super-sensitive dude, so it was difficult for both of us to figure out how to do this.”

You’re probably still bummed about Opie’s death, but do you feel better after reading Kurt’s explanation? Drop us a comment with your (new) thoughts on the show’s tragic loss.

— Andy Swift

More Sons of Anarchy on HollywoodLife.com:

1. ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Shocker: Which Major Character Was Killed Off?

Nacho

Posted at 11:31 PM on August 8, 2014

Opines death was most tragic, a perfect curve ball. Very upsetting. I understand the idea of his death for the show. However he still died too soon, jazz and Opie have a strong brotherhood. The audience expected for death to come through voluntary sacrifice through some gun fight. However the way he died was an execution and that is the most shameful way to die. He deserved more because through out the show Opie suffered the most than anyone else. In other words Opie was born to only die slowly.

ReyReyz

Posted at 7:39 AM on April 29, 2014

I cannot believe that just happened!! took me a while to get into this show and now they killed the one person that was keeping me interested!!!.. not happy it should have been Tig!! (no offence Tig)
Opi is the best!!! There is no sons of Anarchy without Opi!!!

Brandon Means

Posted at 2:31 AM on December 29, 2013

turned me off to see possibly my favorite character to cheer for …just ripped out of the story. It just feels like the soul or essence of the show died along with opie.

kibar2

Posted at 2:50 PM on September 3, 2013

It’s a show, people. Not real life. That’s what I love about this one…twists and turns which makes it so interesting to watch; however, I really am going the miss the tortured soul of Opie.

amanda

Posted at 10:26 AM on June 7, 2013

SOA IS A GREAT SHOW AND WHAT EVER THEY DO YOU WILL NEVER STOP HAVING A FAN IN ME . I LOVE YOUR SHOW I LOVE ALL YOU ..

OPIE WAS A GREAT FIT WITH THE SHOW YES I AGREE BUT AFTER THE DEATH OF HIS WIFE AND DAD IT WAS SO HARD FOR HIM TO DEAL WITH EVERYTHING

EVERYONE SHOULD THANK THE SHOW FOR MAKING OPIE A HERO IF HE WAS NOT BRAVE ENOUGH TO PROTECT JACK WHILE IN JAIL AND MAKE HIMSELF THE ” TARGET” THEN JACK WOULD NOT BE THERE AS A FATHER. \

SO YES BE SAD BUT DONT BE MAD.

Nick

Posted at 5:50 AM on March 22, 2013

As much as I hated the fact that opie was killed off, i kinda interested now to see where it goes, it’s been very gripping, so as much as I disagree with what kurt has done, I can kinda see why he done it and can’t wait to see the eventual backlash of it, but for gods sake don’t be killing Abel off, killing kids off in accidents or purposely is series suicide.

Nate

Posted at 5:16 AM on January 27, 2013

I loved this show until my favorite character got killed for no reason the show is pathetic now and I will no longer be watching it. Good job Sutter for killing the show and the fans favorite character I hope this show ends for good its pointless now

Kym

Posted at 5:15 PM on January 17, 2013

I won’t be watching the show any longer. Kurt made a HUGE mistake killing Opie, should have killed off Jakes annoying wife or any other character!!! The show lost alot of viewers, good luck getting to season 7!!!!!

fernando

Posted at 3:02 PM on December 27, 2012

kurt sutter ruined the show by killing opie i have no further interest in the show now he should have ended the show at season 4 if he was just going to be whacking everyone to desperatley keep the show alive.