‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Shocker: Which Major Character Was Killed Off?

Wed, September 26, 2012 9:33am EST by 55 Comments 10,978 Article Views
Sons of Anarchy Opie death
Courtesy of FX

Warning: Stop reading if you don’t want to know who was killed on ‘Sons of Anarchy.’

Wondering why Kurt Sutter was trending on Twitter last  night? It might have something to do with the fact that the Sons of Anarchy creator decided to suddenly kill off one of the show’s most beloved characters — and fans were not happy about it. So which biker bit the bullet on the Sept. 25 episode? Drumroll please…

Opie (Ryan Hurst)!

Here’s how he met his tragic end: Pope (Harold Perrineau) worked out a deal with Jax (Charlie Hunnam), forcing him choose which of the Sons would enter a behind-bars death match. Ever the valiant hero, Opie decided to attack one of the prison guards, essentially volunteering himself to fight. Though he gave it his all, and seemed to stand a pretty good chance, he was eventually beaten to death by a lead pipe. (For a more in-depth analysis of last night’s episode, check out the recap on HollywoodLife.com‘s sister site TVLine.)

As you might imagine, fans immediately took to Twitter to express their outrage:

“@sutterink i absolutely hate you,” tweeted user @dmpullen.

“@sutterink DAMN YOU!” added @WaltonsCastro.

Even Avenged Sevenfold drummer Mike Portnoy joined the mob: “I cannot believe what I just watched…why @sutterink why????????”

UPDATE: Kurt spoke with reporters Sept. 26, explaining why he decided to kill Opie.

Were you shocked by Opie’s sudden death? Do you think it was a huge mistake, or will it make for good drama moving forward? Drop us a comment with your thoughts on the dearly departed.

— Andy Swift

More shocking TV deaths:

1. ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season Finale: How Do You Feel About The Major Death?
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Recap: [Spoiler] Dies & Elena Makes A Surprising Choice
  3. ‘90210’ Recap: Tragedy Strikes When Ivy & Raj Reunite

Snow Alabama

Posted at 5:57 PM on September 26, 2012

I hate sutter!! The show aint no good without Opie!! First he aint get Clay, second, he’s Jax best friend, and the only one who has Jax back, third, he the last sexy man, all the ones left are old and fat!!! really?!! If pie is gone for good, I will not be watching anymore.

Nikki

Posted at 5:49 PM on September 26, 2012

I JUST recently starting watching sons I am up to season 4 and FB ruined last night episode for me. Opie is awesome , I am so heartbroken I don’t even want to watch it anymore :(. I know Sutter has his reason but Opie was loved by all.

Mel Ramsey

Posted at 5:09 PM on September 26, 2012

If there ever was anything that was “good” “pure” or “right” about this club, it was Opie and last night Sutter ripped that out of our hearts. All that’s left now, is a long bloody ride into hell !!!

Debbie

Posted at 4:53 PM on September 26, 2012

I was shocked this one I didn’t see coming when everyone is so ready for Clay to go!!! I didnt like this choice at all nor has anyone I’ve talked to about it…I hope you know where your going with this!!!..Its starting to seem a little weird this season

Santeria

Posted at 4:04 PM on September 26, 2012

I think this will only add to the scope of who Jax will become this will make a harder colder more forceful Jax yes it sucks loved Opie but it won’t change my love of this show I will just shead a tear and wait for the next episode Sitter is awesome

Mark

Posted at 4:01 PM on September 26, 2012

hmmmmm….. suspicious death…. never saw his dead body …. can you smell a deal somewhere to make it look like he was killed but will reappear later?

Nick

Posted at 4:12 PM on September 26, 2012

not a chance. in the previews for the next episode it shows them carrying his casket. Hes dead. it sucks. he was my favorite character.

john

Posted at 3:36 PM on September 26, 2012

I am sad that he was killed. I wish he would killed at least two of the bad guys. the wife hates that he was killed off. but mr. Sutter knows what he is doing. still it was dad to see him die. but it will be interesting on how made get even with those responsible.

Dr J

Posted at 3:31 PM on September 26, 2012

Opie was the main reason I watched the show. I am done watching Sons!!!

Simon Petitclerc

Posted at 2:37 PM on September 26, 2012

Huge mistake. Not a series killer, but they just lost a demographic of their fans.

jolene

Posted at 2:22 PM on September 26, 2012

So I just wana let the producer n director of sons know u have j lost a lot of fans killing opie off was the dumbest thing u cld have ever done I don’t know wat magic u need to pull out of ur ass but u better make him come back and j make it look like he dies u stupid fucks u lost a fan n I will not watch another episode until opies makes a reappearance have a great fucking day u j ruined one of my favorite shows assholes

Dr J

Posted at 3:33 PM on September 26, 2012

Agree with every single word. My sentiments exactly!!!

shawn

Posted at 4:37 PM on September 26, 2012

wow calm down its just a show and so what if you never watch it again many viewers will

Susan

Posted at 2:00 PM on September 26, 2012

Shocked..Sorry to see him go. Brutal and Tragic.

jayblez

Posted at 1:57 PM on September 26, 2012

im invested to keep watching the show, however, I’ve lost a huge level of interest. Killing off Opie is a grave mistake and a cop out for dramatic development. Sutter is trying to use death to foster attatchment in viewers, just like he did with Tig’s daughter, which by the way was some horrible acting by Tigg. That is why Sutter didn’t just kill off Opie, he brutalized him and gave the audience a full view of his bludgeoning. weak Sutter, your character development is getting sloppy this season. You literally put Opie and the others in jail for a day just to kill Opie. How stupid do you think we are?

Nick

Posted at 4:14 PM on September 26, 2012

Couldn’t have said it better myself

Debbie

Posted at 1:47 PM on September 26, 2012

I cried

Craig Becker

Posted at 1:39 PM on September 26, 2012

That was really hard to watch, very brutal scene. It was the most controversal play they could have made there, of the 4 which one had to die. Makes sense to gain popularity in getting people talking about the show but damn it was hard. Opie is the man. Will be missed. Was badass how he punched out the sherriff in order to go to jail and provide help/muscle for his brothers inside.

mathew (@mathew83429929)

Posted at 1:17 PM on September 26, 2012

I’m making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I’m my own boss. This is what I do, >>> Workpc.notlong.comOPEN THIS LINK TO READ MORE

willlynn

Posted at 12:43 PM on September 26, 2012

No I’m not going to stop watching, but sutter takes me there! I mean he manages to pull emotions out of me over fictional characters and after the show ends each tuesday night I feel drained

diane

Posted at 12:34 PM on September 26, 2012

Opie was the guy with the heart. I am so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Curtis

Posted at 12:28 PM on September 26, 2012

Huge Mistake a character like Opie is kept on a show to the very last! TERRIBLE MOVE

Jaz

Posted at 12:08 PM on September 26, 2012

Opie was the reason I watched soa…now I have no reason to watch…pure disappointment…

Greg

Posted at 11:50 AM on September 26, 2012

I think its bullshit that they killed him off shit kill kim koats off he is annoying as hell

RW

Posted at 10:52 AM on September 26, 2012

It’s a TV show, not reality. Opie died, not Ryan Hurst. SOA is in it’s 5th season. Ever wonder why?

jobe

Posted at 10:46 AM on September 26, 2012

He was the only person on the show that wasnt a little whinny b**ch biker always trying to get in touch with his feelings. That is why he was so well liked. He did the things that had to get done. He was the image of the outlaw biker that you would think they would have on the show. You people screwed the pooch on this one. You should have killed off the other b%$ch characters and brought in more hardcore ones.

Bernadette

Posted at 10:35 AM on September 26, 2012

Nickel

Posted at 10:50 AM on September 26, 2012

“Are you kidding me? What the hell where you thinking? Very disappointed!!!! Should of been someone else”

No, he’s not kidding you. He was thinking, “I’m the showrunner of a television drama, not Benadette’s personal diarist.” We’re all very sad that you’re disappointed and think it “should of been” someone else, though we will assume that you meant “should have been someone else.”

Nickel

Posted at 10:20 AM on September 26, 2012

I love all of you fickle “fans” of these tv shows. “Oh, so-and-so died, how could they do that to ME??” What fun is a show where all the characters we identify with, idolize or loathe are completely “safe?” It doesn’t make sense at all. It’s impossible to suspend disbelief when every major character is death-proof. This stuff has to happen to move the plot forward and to inject at least a tiny bit of reality in this. Any one of these guys could get killed every time they hop on their bikes yet all these “fans” want death-proof gangsters. “I didn’t get my way so I’m not gonna watch anymore!” Yeah, I’m sure Sutter and the other writers will take that into account next time. Do everyone a favor: If you want to be a whiny little b^tch, just stop watching the show and go complain to your idiot best friend or your poor husband/wife. Leave the true fans alone.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:34 AM on September 26, 2012

To be fair, a lot of the people tweeting are saying that — despite their sadness over Opie’s death — the twist is one of the things that make the show so great.

Chicagolinda

Posted at 11:31 AM on September 26, 2012

TRUE FAN HERE
Yes it was shocking – BUT COME ON….its part of the “writing” that keeps everyone watching.. the suprises and shocking scenes (in every episode) has you saying THEY DID NOT JUST DO THAT!!. Sons and Justified are the BEST shows on TV!

Danny

Posted at 2:00 PM on September 26, 2012

i agree, and the direction the show was going in, it didnt really fit with opie, and i believe in a way, kurt and the writers were not in control, opie wouldnt have let any of his brothers die, even the one who killed his wife and was the reason for being in the mess, they cant let characters break their characteristics, so sometimes the story writes itself

Jenn

Posted at 10:06 AM on September 26, 2012

knew a shock was coming, but last week I said if certain characters were killed off I would stop watching, and the 1st one I said that would cause me to no longer be a fan of the show is if Opie got killed off. So, there u have it. With Op’s death, is a loss of a fan.

Andy Swift

Posted at 10:08 AM on September 26, 2012

I know a lot of fans say that, but are you really going to stop watching?

liz

Posted at 10:34 AM on September 26, 2012

yes, I decided to stop watching the show, opie was my favorite..I no longer like how the show is going..if its not broken why fixed it..of all the characters Opie? really..you disgust me

Nickel

Posted at 10:47 AM on September 26, 2012

Andy: Some of them really will stop watching. This is why I had to stop watching my favorite shows with friends (e.g., The Sopranos, The Shield and even the fluff that was Entourage). I can’t stand that people take this personally, like Opie was their golden retriever and Sutter ran him over with his Harley. It doesn’t make sense how these people look at these shows. They want no upsetting surprises and no character depth, meaning they want their favorite characters to always be “good” (usually defined as doing whatever they themselves would or would want to do if they were in the character’s shoes) and not to be killed off. NO MATTER WHAT.

Simon Petitclerc

Posted at 2:40 PM on September 26, 2012

Yes, absolutely. It’s not a series killer to have a fan favorite die, it’s actually a good thing to keep people on the edge of their seat. It’s the manner of which the writing seems to be turning into a “LOOK AT ME! IM A BASTARD!” kind of feel that, frankly, is just annoying.