Newborn Baby Mauled To Death By Family Pit Bull

Wed, September 26, 2012 6:17pm EST by 39 Comments
Pitbull Kills Baby
Courtesy of Facebook

Three-month-old Rayden Bruce was mauled to death by the family pit bull while police were at the home investigating a domestic disturbance involving his parents. Read on for more tragic details.

Rayden Eugene Bruce, a three-month-old baby from Burleson, Texas, was mauled to death by his family’s pit bull on Monday, Sept. 24 while police were at his home, investigating his parents Jessica Oxner and Barrett Bruce for a domestic disturbance.

The Daily Mail reports that the police had Jessica and Barrett separated while they took statements from the pair, with Jessica being kept outside and Barrett indoors. Rayden had been outside with his mother, but was brought indoors by his grandpa, Richard Douglass, when he fell asleep. He was left alone sleeping on the floor in the bedroom.

Rayden was discovered by his grandfather, as well, after he heard noises. Barrett then grabbed the baby and ran screaming from the home, the report indicates. With officers still outside the home, Rayden was taken to Cook Children’s Medical Center in Fort Worth, where he later died.

The four-year-old dog, named Brody, was quarantined at Burleson Animal Control and was put down on Wednesday, Sept. 26. The dog had been reported to animal control twice before — once for a minor bite, and another about it running loose.

An investigation into the horrific attack is pending and child protective services have been notified, though there is no other child in the home.

Such a tragedy. What do you think, HollyMoms?

– Billy Nilles

More tragic HollyBaby news:

1. Three-Year-Old Girl Found Dead Inside Beanbag Chair
  2. Father Shot Young Sons As Revenge Against Estranged Wife
  3. 9-Year-Old Beats 14-Month-Old Baby To Death In Room They Share

Sarah

Posted at 5:51 PM on July 22, 2014

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!
Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Kudos!

nora

Posted at 9:29 PM on October 13, 2013

#1 dogs come out the way you train them
#2 if the dog was trouble before, they should’ve started training him or gave him up
#3 who the hell leaves their baby alone along enough for the dog to even bite the baby?
If you ask me, this is a case of bad parenting. My niece is 2 years old & she STILL has all eyes on her all the time.

Bridget

Posted at 2:21 AM on February 28, 2013

Looks like we can add pitbulls to the likes of birth control, domestic disputes, education on the ever-growing spectrum of things white trash people suck at. They probably thought that getting a pitbull is “cool” or “trendy”, when actually it is hard work. Animal control had already been called two times about this dog? It clearly wasnt being trained. A baby that sleeps on the floor and an energetic, strong breed of dog who was probably never walked. And the parents were fighting and talking to police? These dogs pick up on emotions very easily and as a pitbull owner I can tell you that if my dog hears yelling, arguing or sees violence he is immediately tense. You shouldnt have a pitbull out when you are screaming at someone. I’m not excusing the dog but I am saying its just not a good idea. There are reports for various breeds killing due to the same kind of environment. Dogs, especially pitbulls arent meant to rot in your house and backyard, the same way that babies arent meant to be left unattended on floors. This poor child did not deserve this tragic fate, and from the sounds of it – he deserved to be adopted.

Derek

Posted at 2:13 PM on December 21, 2012

Speaking from a survivors perspective! My springer spaniel and myself were attacked by a pitbull. i was taking my dog to the park and in the act of getting in the car my dog barked at the owner and his pitbull who was walking on the sidewalk. The once friendly looking dog immediately turned into a freaking lunatic and dragged its owner 60 feet golden syrup tartsover my property after us. I threw the dog and myself into the car as the pitbull scratched the whole side of my vehicle trying to get us. The owner at the same time punched the pitbull continously to try to get the dog off the car. A few seconds earlier and the consequences would have been dire to say the least. This man could not hold his dog back. It is a privilege to have a dog not a right! If your dog does damage be prepared to dig into your savings as a civil suit will take it all!!

most important

Posted at 11:12 AM on October 5, 2012

Hi there, I check your blogs on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is witty, keep up the good work!

momto4

Posted at 10:39 AM on September 28, 2012

The full story us not here, I live in Burleson and the baby was not laying on the floor the baby was on his parents bed and the dog dragged the baby to the floor. Also when another person is present to care for a child police never call back up. This was a terrible tragedy that our small town is coping with now we do need pages like this bashing people especially when the facts of the true story wasn’t printed.

I Choose Change

Posted at 11:37 PM on September 27, 2012

What a terrible tragedy! My heart is so sad! This is senseless and could have been avoided. What a terrible way for a little life to end. Regardless of your thoughts about the animal itself, the pain of losing a child is unimaginable. There are also those who view their pets as equal members of the family. Evidently this family was in pain prior to this incident as there was already ongoing intervention in their domestic disturbance. Prayers for this family and community as they mourn this loss.

Sheila

Posted at 2:41 AM on September 27, 2012

The officers should first ask if there are any children in the home and make sure they are in a safe place (not on the floor) here in the USA the officer would have called for back up for a officer to care for the child ! This of course would happen as soon as parents are contained and not a treat to the, or to each other! So sad:( I feel everyone failed on behalf of a helpless child so all even officers should be held accountable for this child’s death in one way or another ..very sad

I Choose Change

Posted at 11:31 PM on September 27, 2012

I believe this tragedy did happen in the USA. Burleson, Texas is a suburb south of Fort Worth, Texas.

Heaven

Posted at 2:31 AM on September 27, 2012

I think who ever layed the baby on the floor should be the one charged! Why would you do that? Someone could have walked over him? Also can you imagine the pain the baby went thorugh…and sad part is all he could do was move his arm and legs and cry..Sad! As for the dog, I agree he was probably scared from the fighting going on between the parents. If the baby would have been put in his crib, swing this could have been prevented. Parents like these should be prosecuted. I wonder what there fight was all about? And if it was worth there childs life?

Laurie

Posted at 1:53 AM on September 27, 2012

I will never understand why they put the dog down in cases like this. IT IS THE PEOPLE’S FAULT, NOT THE DOG’S!! They need to understand that any dog has to be treated like a possible “wild animal” with their natural tendancies, and the baby should not be left where the dog has access to it.

IsMaSw004

Posted at 11:20 PM on September 26, 2012

Why would you put a three month old baby on the floor to sleep???!!!! This is so sad…

tiki

Posted at 9:30 PM on September 26, 2012

idiot owners and an idiot grandfather. who the hell puts a baby to sleep alone on the floor within reach of ANY animal?! It don’t care it’s breed. it could be a freaking teacup poodle, you don’t let it free roam unsupervised with an infant. learn to train a dog if your gonna own it!

Jessi

Posted at 8:38 PM on September 26, 2012

This is most likely not a full blooded pit bull. Looks like a mutt to me. Mutts are usually the worst when it comes to aggression and inability to train properly without a very caring and hands-on owner. A dog should never, no matter what type or breed, should be let to run around a house freely where a young child is located. The full story is definitely not here. Mauled could mean that the dog trampled the baby for all we know. Stop giving pit bulls such a bad rep, this is not an Amercian Pit Bull Terrier and to label it a pit bull is wrong. It was a dog, plain a simple and could have been any dog.

Santeria Marie Samayoa

Posted at 8:33 PM on September 26, 2012

I have 3 kids all small and a 5 year old Brindle Pitbull he is loving loyal and so gentle when anyone of my kids are sick he is their cuddle buddy if my husband or I raise our voice he will literally run and stand in front of them. Please blame the owner’s not the breed not all Pitt’s are mean or prone to biting have been reported twice they were not responsible pet owners and their child’s death is their fault!!! Unfortunately the media will jump on this and blame the breed. My prayers to the family it is a tragedy that could have been easily avoided.

Shannon

Posted at 2:56 PM on September 30, 2012

I agree I have 2 wonderful Pitbull boys one is Brindle and the other is a Red Noise and I could not ask for a better dog!!!

colby

Posted at 9:40 PM on November 9, 2012

Will you still be saying that when one of these articles are about you?

C A

Posted at 8:27 PM on September 26, 2012

Neuter all pitbulls and let the breed die out, when is the last time you heard about anyone mauled to death by a pug or corgi?

MG

Posted at 9:54 AM on September 27, 2012

So sad that you think this way…. how about rotties, chows, or other breeds…. should we just let all of them die out? how pitiful to blame the breed and not the owner…

heather

Posted at 10:16 AM on September 27, 2012

Not all Pitt bulls are bad dogs..they get a bad rap all the time b/c news stories glorify all the BAD things they do.. never the good things they do.. (like the pitt bull that pulled its owner off train tracks after he passed out and fell onto them).. but you’ll never hear those stories.. . My friend has two wonderful pitts.. who play with her 1, 2 and 4 year old nieces and the dogs have never so much as even showed their teeth. Its on an individual basis.. not ALL pitts are bad. Besides.. if you look at statistics.. more SMALL dogs bite people than big dogs..

Shannon

Posted at 2:58 PM on September 30, 2012

Maybe your the one who needs to be Neuterd! not all dogs are mean it is how they are raised thank you very much.

sheri

Posted at 9:52 AM on January 11, 2013

Ts because to news doesn’t cover the other dogs killing children only pitbulls y’all are idiots if you think aggression is the dogs fault. its the parents fault plain and simple poor dog parents kill more children then dogs do. If people weren’t so dam stupid and blinded by the media stuff like this wouldn’t happen. I have 2 male unneutered adult pitbulls they love each other and everyone. They are papered you can’t just buy a mutt off the street and expext it to behave when it has idiots for ownersi

mathew (@mathew83429929)

Posted at 8:01 PM on September 26, 2012

my best friend’s sister-in-law earned $12701 past month. she has been working on the laptop and moved in a $342900 condo. All she did was get lucky and apply the information explained on this website >>> Green32.comFULL STORY IS WRITTEN ON THIS WEBPAGE

maren

Posted at 7:54 PM on September 26, 2012

This is such a sad story. But it is also sad that people are quick to judge the dog. Pit Bulls get such a bad rap. As a shelter volunteer, I am very fond of Pitts. This dog was probably very nervous of all the commotion going on in the house and He may have been very upset that police were in his home and that his owners were in the middle of a domestic disturbance. The baby should not have been put on the floor. It is the parent’s/granparent’s fault. Not the dog’s!!

maren

Posted at 7:55 PM on September 26, 2012

and in mentioning the dogs prior “minor bite” again, it sounds look those owners don’t know how to keep and train(consistently) a healthy dog. They looked pretty young which can equal irresponsible.

Nichole

Posted at 8:07 PM on September 26, 2012

I agree completely!! So, so many people find it easier to place the blame on the animal instead of the parents. Who leaves a baby on the floor, alone? With a dog in the house.

Melissa

Posted at 2:48 PM on April 18, 2014

I don’t blame the dog. I blame people who are not responsible enough to realize they have an animal which can be dangerous to others. Especially old people and children. I don’t know how anyone comes to the conclusion it is worth the risk. All dogs can bite at any time. They are animals. The big problem with the pit bull and some other breeds is that they can kill. I think there should be a limit to how many of these dogs are available and a limit to who can own one. I think they should always wear a muzzle in public and they need the strongest form of confinement to the owners property available. I also think innocent children should not be exposed to the danger. Supervised or not it is not worth the risk. People who don’t agree that pit bulls are wonderful dogs should not have to be exposed to them. My personal experience is no dog has ever tried to attack me in any way. However, for whatever reason, my daughter has been bitten by two dogs and attacked by one cat. I think there must be something about certain people which attracts this type of behavior by animals. I was right there when it happened and if it had been a pit bull attack I can only imagine.
By the way the dogs and the cat were not our pets.

twila

Posted at 7:42 PM on September 26, 2012

Dangerous dogs and infants don’t mix.

Jane

Posted at 6:55 PM on September 26, 2012

Why would he put the baby on the floor to sleep? None of this makes sense.

Shelly

Posted at 6:51 PM on September 26, 2012

OMG. What a horrible thing to happen especially with the parents, grandfather and police right there in the house. The grandfather will feel guilty for the rest of his life but he is not to blame. He didn’t know the dog would attack the baby. IMO, family should never have a pit bull or any kind of dog or cat around a newborn but if you do have pets never leave a newborn alone. My prayers go out to this family.

Sabra

Posted at 6:39 PM on September 26, 2012

This Breed is a fighting killing animal to hunt they are built to kill,not a house dog and depending how they are raised dangerous around children,I know people have to get insurance on Pit Bulls if they own one.That tells you something I have been their and seen them attack animals in hunting like a shark. So sad about this baby,A nasty breed even when raised with lots of love. They turn on their owners all the time.

Holly

Posted at 1:30 AM on September 27, 2012

Sabra, it’s not the breed. It’s how the individual dog is trained. It’s clear that the owners didn’t train the dog very well. Any dog, no matter what the breed is, could kill a three month old child if they aren’t properly trained. To top it off, why in the world would the Grandfather leave the three-month-old on the floor, unattended, while there is an animal in the house?

It’s not just the breed. And it’s people like you–who plant the seeds of such discrimination in the minds of people who haven’t heard enough about Pitbulls–who are going to cause this beautiful breed to go extinct.

iridescentsheep

Posted at 2:54 AM on September 27, 2012

It is people like you who have a bleeding heart who spreads the myth that it is just the owner, which is another extreme.

Actually it is Both. Genetics play a role in agressive begavior as well as how the dog is raise. Even someone who doesn’t exercise and train the pit bull properly is at risk. It is not just abusive owners and it is not just the breed, but it certainly is both

Also the breed is nowhere near extinct most dogs in shelters are pit bulls way over half. We should stop breeding dogs especially breeds like pits which takes someone with experience to breed for non-agressive behavior.

My source you ask? my aunt who has worked in animal genetics for over 30 years. And I worked for her for the past 5 years

Shannon

Posted at 3:01 PM on September 30, 2012

you need to do some serious research on Pitbulls, what they are breed for is to protect and serve the masters. learn about the breed before you judge them!!!!

shab

Posted at 11:33 PM on July 4, 2013

Wow you are really uneducated about this topic, their are almost no cases of pits turning on their owners that treat them right. they are one of the most loyal breeds of dog, my 3yo is autisitc and our pit is his therapy dog. get your head out of your a$$ and actualy do some research before you start spouting off stats that you just make up. people like you are a huge part of the problem. you spout out your opinions like their fact so people belive you like it’s fact when what you say could not be furthur from the truth.

Lacie

Posted at 11:47 PM on September 26, 2012

My comment above was mainly in reply to Sabra, however it applies to all comments discriminating on pit bulls. And yes, what happened was truly a tragedy.

Laura

Posted at 12:42 PM on September 27, 2012

I personally know these people, they are good people, the child did not live there. The dog is a mixed breed, it is not a true pit bull. The dog was not used to kids. He was a very protective dog and was probably freaked out about the baby, it probably cried and the dog went for it. The child was placed on a bed, not on the floor like the story suggests. Still the baby should not have been alone wth the dog in the area. He was alone for only a few seconds but that is all it took. Truly terrible, so sad for the parents and the child.

Laura

Posted at 12:48 PM on September 27, 2012

Also my daughter has pit bulls. Her intact male is 10 years old and her female is 5 years old. They both were over $1000 each and were carefully selected for temperment and confirmation, they are true to the breed. They have both NEVER been aggressive towards anyone or any animals. They are wonderful dogs. ( Not to mention other people I know that bought quality dogs too) It is all these poorly bred pits ( ie backyard breeders trying to make money breeding any pit that has papers even if they are aggressive and poorly bred) and mix breed pits that are always attacking people and animals. I have NEVER once seen a quality pit bull be aggressive toward anything!

iridescentsheep

Posted at 5:04 PM on September 30, 2012

Laura-
In my comment I said we should stop breeding dog and I should have been specific like you Laura. It is the poorly bred dog that causes a problem and they are the ones in shelter. I believe that if a pit were to be bred with careful consideration of genetics and temperment, they can be a great dog.