Taylor Swift’s New Single ‘Begin Again’ — The Full Lyrics Released

Tue, September 25, 2012 2:27pm EST by 28 Comments
Big Machine Records

Listen to Taylor’s new single for the first time & help us analyze the lyrics! Is she singing about Jake Gyllenhaal?

OK, which of Taylor Swift‘s ex-boyfriends loves James Taylor? Once we solve that mystery, we’ll know exactly who Taylor’s crooning about on her new single, “Begin Again,” which has officially made its way to the internet. In typical Taylor fashion, the song is about a guy she thought was a gentleman, but turned out to be just another heartbreaker. (We’re thinking John Mayer or Jake Gyllenhaal!)

Read the full “Begin Again” lyricsbelow, then listen to Taylor perform her latest single of sadness:

Take a deep breath in the mirror, he didn’t like it when I wore high heels but I do.
Turn the lock and put my headphones on, he always said he didn’t get this song but I do. I do.
Walked in expecting you’d be late but you got here early and you stand and wait I walk to you.
You pulled my chair out and helped me in, and you don’t know how nice that is but I do.

Chorus:
And you throw your head back laughing like a little kid.
I think it’s strange that you think I’m funny cause he never did.
I’ve been spending the last eight months thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end.
But on a Wednesday, in a cafe…I watched it begin again.*

He said he never met one girl who had as many James Taylor records as you but I do.
We tell stories and you don’t know why you’re coming off a little shy but I do.

[Chorus]

And we walk down the block to my car and I almost brought him up.
But you start to talk about the movies that you found me watching every single Christmas and I will talk about that for the frst time.
What’s past is past.

[Chorus]

But on a Wednesday, in a cafe…I watched it begin again.

Bonnie Says: Taylor Swift: Thanks For Standing Up Against Jerks With ‘Begin Again’

More on Taylor’s love life:

1. Taylor Swift Reveals New Song ‘Begin Again’ — Which Former Boyfriend Is It About?
  2. Taylor Swift & Conor Kennedy’s Romantic Weekend Together
  3. Taylor Swift & Conor Kennedy Held Hands & Smiled ‘Nonstop’ On Date

Brynn

Posted at 6:49 PM on November 8, 2012

I can see this song being written for either Jake or Connor. She didn’t date Jake for 8 months, so I see him laughing like a little kid, eating in a cafe, and James Taylor references, but I can also see him as the ex due to him listening to indie (“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together”) and not understanding the Ipod song, and I can also see Jake as serious and not thinking Taylor is funny. Jake is older than Taylor so maybe Connor understands a reference or story like her humor. I don’t know anything about Connor so that’s why I can’t analyze it better.

Brynn

Posted at 6:49 PM on November 8, 2012

I don’t know who was right before Jake either as a boyfriend.

Jerry "Alan" Holley

Posted at 8:49 PM on October 19, 2012

Is she the one I seek
Time will tell all
Yet ea day I fret she doesn’t even know
The sum of what is seen

She will arise once again but not after she says her prayers
Life is live only once and I have chosen poorly or maybe not
It’s up to her to seek out and entertain but is it ever going to stop with us meeting at the dead end?

In search of more light I am but not One has been able to stand beside me and always let’s me down

Up with the people I say for life is to be lived today
Even even others throw a punch just roll with flow and let them all knowLife is about Love and not just for a show

can she see or feel without fear and if so why is she not here?
I’ve announced it to the world the best I can and stated get up and show herself and hold this mans hand

Love her I do and always will regardless the past cause it will foot the bill but hope it’s not too late and I’m back on ICE in a dead end fate

I so adore her style and look for her ea day and night
Will it all truly Begin Again or just be another lonley journey till my end

I just want a friend and a lover too and praying God blesses me and you
No I ain’t politically correct but what the heck Romeo and Juliet are in lLove. When she ends the show only then I will know.

Addison

Posted at 1:57 PM on October 18, 2012

The lyrics to this are waaaaay off

Alexandra

Posted at 2:23 PM on September 28, 2012

I think this song is for Taylor Lautner

TrueSwifty

Posted at 1:15 PM on September 28, 2012

Amazing song! Btw, some lyrics are wrong.. It’s supposed to be. “But you start to talk about the movies that your family watches every single Christmas” and “what’s passed is past”

swiftyfan13

Posted at 9:19 PM on September 26, 2012

This song is so awesome! :)

Choa

Posted at 11:43 AM on September 26, 2012

IN my opinion, I think this song is really for Jake. For this line “I’ve been spending the LAST EIGHT MONTHS thinking all love ever does is break, and burn, and end.” She broke up with Mayer on February 2010 and spotted with Jake on November 2010. So maybe, that’s it. I just think it’s for Jake. Maybe that’s the hidden clue in the lyrics.

maren

Posted at 5:17 PM on September 25, 2012

Not every song is about her life or ex’s, people! She has said repeatedly that she also gets inspiration from her band mates and friends heartbreak and true love stories. Stop analyzing so much and enjoy the music.

natasha

Posted at 9:44 PM on September 25, 2012

AGREE WITH YOU !!!!

paul (@paul88026601)

Posted at 3:57 PM on September 25, 2012

my neighbor’s step-mother made $20555 past month. she been working on the computer and bought a $400100 condo. All she did was get fortunate and use the guide uncovered on this link >>> Green32.comFULL STORY IS WRITTEN ON THIS WEBPAGE

Ashley Smith

Posted at 3:14 PM on September 25, 2012

This song is actually about going on a date for the first time with a new guy (who is actually a gentleman) after getting out of a relationship with another guy (heartbreaker/jerk). She said so herself on GMA..

Maddi

Posted at 3:13 PM on September 25, 2012

It’s not meant to be a sad song, it’s her getting over a terrible break up, and watching love “begin again”.

vivi

Posted at 2:46 PM on September 25, 2012

as I understand the song she is singing about that new kennedy kid comming in on the cafe on and he thinks she is funny and interesting – something that her ex (jake gyllenhaal) never did…and she starts falling in love again (begins again)….good song.

Kyle Lacey (@K_LaceyAwe)

Posted at 1:43 PM on September 25, 2012

It’s definitely Jake Gyllenhaal. She was so happy with him and she dated him from October 2010-January 2011 (So Christmas just HAPPENS to fall in between that time period). They also split cordially so she has no reason to write a bashing song on him, and that’s not what this song is at all. It’s certainly not Taylor Lautner because she dated him 3 years ago, and he was already mentioned on Speak Now through the song Back to December.

Marlene

Posted at 1:04 PM on September 25, 2012

Who cares??? She’s annoying and a spoiled little brat anyway!! Grow up Taylor!!

gbtw

Posted at 7:45 PM on September 25, 2012

haha… totally ditto that, marlene. can’t stand this stupid little freak of a girl (who is about to turn 23 and still acts like a CHILD).

swiftyfan13

Posted at 9:15 PM on September 26, 2012

Excuse me? Don’t talk garbage about Taylor! She might write songs that are childish, but at least they’re AWESOME and GOOD songs!

matty ice

Posted at 12:44 PM on September 26, 2012

she is my idol…she gets me through the day..im just a fifteen year old girl trying to get by dont trash talk my hero <3 taylor

Alexandra

Posted at 2:24 PM on September 28, 2012

AHAHAHHAHAHA

Nelly

Posted at 12:26 PM on September 25, 2012

Well, I recognize that she knows how to maintain people guessing about who is she singing about, and add as many exes as possible for do this more difficult LOL

danielle

Posted at 12:16 PM on September 25, 2012

The dress she’s wearing on the cover looks like the dress she wore at Will’s birthday party this year.

well

Posted at 12:04 PM on September 25, 2012

I’m 100% sure it’s about Will Anderson , They hung out alot November /December which is why she mentions Christmas. Plus do you really think that Taylor L is a James Taylor fan?

Nelly

Posted at 11:45 AM on September 25, 2012

**I’m not a Taylor Squared obsessed but I’m pretty sure this TS’ song is about Taylor Lautner. Who is the only that throw his head back laughing like a little kid? Is Taylor Lautner’s registered mark! At least he’s the only one about she couldn’t say something bad because he’s always a gentleman

sara

Posted at 2:08 AM on October 19, 2012

100% agree

anyonmous

Posted at 11:05 AM on September 25, 2012

I like her and Will together better then that Conor Kid!

truth

Posted at 10:50 AM on September 25, 2012

Its about Will Anderson from the band parachute. Taylor dated him between last Thanksgiving & Christmas about 8 months after she broke up with Jake.

L