Demi Lovato On ‘Katie’ — Rehab Was Like Prison For Me

Fri, September 21, 2012 4:40pm EDT by 6 Comments
Courtesy of Katie Couric

Demi stopped by Katie Couric’s new daytime talk show in NYC and she revealed that while in rehab for her eating disorder, people would watch her to make sure she ate everything on her plate!

Demi Lovato has no problem sharing her emotional story with her loyal fans. The X Factor judge tells Katie Couric in an episode set to air on Sept.24 that she wasn’t even allowed to go to the bathroom by herself in rehab!

“Treatment was so difficult at first. I remember walking around saying ‘I’m in prison!'” she said. “They needed to have those strict rules in order for me to understand how sick I was. I wasn’t allowed to use the bathroom by myself. We had specific phone times. There are tons of things you weren’t allowed to have, you weren’t allowed to have certain hair products or whatever, that you could injure yourself with or possibly drink, and you were just stripped of a lot of things.”

She even went on to say that there would be people watching her as she ate!

“I also had somebody watching over me every single time I ate. And if I didn’t finish what was on my plate — and often times I would cry because I physically couldn’t stomach it — and if that happened, I would have to have little consequences, nothing horrible, just not being able to go to the cafeteria to eat.”

–Chloe Melas

More Demi Lovato Rehab News:

1. Demi Lovato’s Rehab Interview: Eating Disorders, Self-Harming & Bipolar Disorder
  2. Demi Lovato After Rehab: She’s Much More Pleasant To Work With
  3. Demi Lovato’s Eating Disorder & Cutting Issues: She’s Had Problems For A Long Time

kayte k

Posted at 9:27 AM on September 26, 2012

Reblogged this on ed recovery 101.

Setra

Posted at 7:54 PM on September 25, 2012

I really enjoyed this interview, I was glad that Demi shared her struggle with Katie in this interview. I think it’s really important for her fans and other young people alike to hear and learn from her story. This interview gave me and my DISH coworkers plenty to talk about. Luckily I recorded it on my Hopper because when I played it back I was able to start watching on my living room TV and then continue watching on any TV in my house right where I left off.

E

Posted at 4:51 AM on September 22, 2012

Stop whining already! It’s the only thing she ever talks about! The ‘poor me’ facade in order to draw attention is getting really really old

andrea

Posted at 8:46 AM on September 22, 2012

because thats the thing only people ask her.

Anya

Posted at 7:41 PM on September 24, 2012

Seems like you’re the one whining about Demi sharing her issues. Before making any judgments about her, realize that this is an interview and celebrities don’t want to share unless asked about their situation. In Demi’s case, she’s willing to share her stories if others ask about it. She’s helped millions of people already to seek help and continues to help others with the same problems she struggled with, to prevent these causes of negativity to overwhelm their lives and make their self-worth even worst. I believe she’s a good role model and should continue to advocate the need to reach out to others. She is a celebrity and already in the public eye, so why not take the advantage to speak about what she believes in. At least this is a positive message… old or new, these real life issues that she brings up will not go away. I like the fact that she’s making the effort to become a voice for anti-bullying organizations. We’re seeing more and more celebrities like her coming forward to stand up for what’s right and positive… Your statement about “poor me”… she can only talk about herself, why should she talk about others? Besides, (since you have time reading about these things), maybe you should watch/read about her past interviews, and then will you understand the reason she encourages others to open up (celebrity or not) and better yet to seek help.

Eddiev

Posted at 6:36 PM on September 21, 2012

She’s not wrong. Being in Rehab is no joke. I had a friend who told me about his experience, it’s a very strict and controlled enviornment that’s sole purpose is to help people. I think anyone who goes through what she did deserves credit.