Taylor Swift Debuts Song ‘Ronan’ About 4-Year-Old Cancer Victim

Mon, September 10, 2012 5:10pm EDT by 9 Comments
Taylor Swift Ronan
Courtesy of NBC

At the Stand Up to Cancer 2012 telethon on Sept. 7, the 22-year-old singer performed her heart-wrenching ballad titled ‘Ronan,’ written about a young boy who lost his battle with brain cancer. Watch the emotional performance.

Taylor Swift was so touched by the story of four-year-old Ronan Thompson, who passed away from cancer in 2011, she wrote a song in his memory, based on Ronan’s mom Maya Thompson‘s blog posts. The single, which lists Maya as a co-writer, is now available on iTunes, and all proceeds benefit cancer charities.

Taylor debuted the song on Sept. 7 during the Stand Up to Cancer 2012 telethon, which also featured performances by Tim McGraw, Alicia Keys, and Coldplay. Although she put on a brave face for the performance, Taylor was seen leaving the Shrine Auditorium in tears after her moving performance.

Taylor Swift’s ‘Ronan’ Lyrics — Inspired By Heartbreaking True Story of Ronan Thompson

The single tells the heartbreaking tale of a young boy’s struggle with terminal cancer, and his mom’s unconditional love and support. “I remember your bare feet down the hallway,” she sang. “I love you to the moon and back.”

The song now holds the number-one spot on iTunes — a huge success that will benefit cancer charities.

Maya took to her blog on Sept 9. to dedicate a post to Roman and share how this song came about, by a phone call from Taylor:

“Not only did she write a song for you, but she wanted to know if it would be alright to preform it on the nationally televised Stand Up 2 Cancer show, which is on every major network and is seen in over 100 countries. She wanted to know if she could use a picture of you in the background while she sang the song. She wanted to make me co author of the song with her. She talked about how from reading this blog and following our story, has inspired her and how amazing she thinks I am and all I am doing, to bring awareness to childhood cancer…Thank you, Taylor, for this gift you have given us.”

Watch the video of her performance below.

What do YOU think of the song HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More Taylor Swift news:

1. Taylor Swift V. Kat Graham: Who Rocked Their Pantsuit Better?
  2. Taylor Swift Closes 2012 VMAs With Revenge Performance
  3. Conor Kennedy Ditches Taylor Swift As VMA Date — Find Out Why

Ultimate Lyrics Collections

Posted at 11:24 AM on January 13, 2013

You’re so cool! I do not believe I’ve truly read through anything like this before. So good to discover somebody with a few genuine thoughts on this issue. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is something that is needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

Pamela Cranton

Posted at 8:10 PM on October 23, 2012

What an absolute angel!! Gorgeous little boy that is gone way too soon!! What a beautiful song, too!!

swiftyfan13

Posted at 9:30 PM on September 26, 2012

I cried when I first heard this. So sad… :(

Ena Nianza McGinnis

Posted at 12:59 PM on September 14, 2012

everytime i hear this song i cry… its so sad to think of losing childern my son was a 24 weeker so he really could have died but he made it throw the “woods” and i was able to take him home and his healthy. i remember when i saw a mom crying for her baby who died its bruned into my mind forever

Jim

Posted at 10:15 PM on September 11, 2012

Not poor Ronan, he is happier and more at peace than he has ever been. It’s his parents and the parents of other similarly afflicted children that need support. Support and prayer, not pity, is what they require. Pity contributes nothing.

Kelly

Posted at 5:10 PM on September 11, 2012

As a mom of a beautiful 2 year old boy, this song totally wrecked me and I am not even a fan of Taylor Swift, I can not even imagine losing my child, I would believe it is a pain you never get over. My heart goes out to this mom, I hope you find peace.

shannon

Posted at 1:33 PM on September 11, 2012

I cried through the entire song!! Love it and Love her!!

dfja;lkdhoabi

Posted at 9:41 PM on September 10, 2012

This is why she’s my role model. Brought tears to my eyes. <3

Anonymous

Posted at 8:04 PM on September 10, 2012

This is soooo touching! :( poor ronan!