Kevin Hart Defends Kristen Stewart’s Cheating At 2012 MTV VMAs

Thu, September 6, 2012 8:37pm EDT by 70 Comments
FameFlynet, Getty

Uh oh! Kevin Hart opened the VMAs by addressing the ‘elephant in the room’ — Kristen Stewart’s affair! But was ROB in the audience? Read on for ALL the details!

Kevin Hart isn’t holding anything back while he’s hosting the VMAs! The funny guy opened up the star-studded event by saying he was going to talk about people making mistakes, and clearly he was referring to Kristen Stewart. However, Kevin was kind enough to make fun of other celebs before defending K-Stew!

“This is the elephant in the room. No one wants me to talk about it, but I do what I want. This is what I want to say,” Kevin said. “I want to talk about Kristen Stewart. Here’s what I gotta say about Kristen Stewart – everybody makes mistakes. She allegedly messed around with a director [Rupert Sanders]. She did it, so what. Look on the bright side. Here’s the thing. They are now a part of the seven dwarfs: Dopey, sleepy, adultery, cheating. If you made a mistake, so what!”

Yikes! We can’t help but wonder what Robert Pattinson thought about that! The 26-year-old was featured in a promo for the awards show, but wasn’t spotted in the audience or on the red carpet! That was definitely a bold move of the host, but we’re glad he addressed what everyone in Hollywood has been scared to talk about!

What do YOU think, HollywoodLifers? Are you shocked Kevin defended Kristen? Vote and weigh in below!

More MTV Video Music Awards News:

1. Kanye West Pulls Out Of MTV VMAs: He Won’t Go Without Kim Kardashian
  2. Rihanna Tells Chris Brown: ‘I Want To See You’ At VMAs Tonight
  3. VMAs Best Dressed 2011 — Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus & More

Christina

Posted at 2:51 AM on September 7, 2012

Just wondering what Kevin said after he said that about the dawarfs. It had to be cursing for they blanked his words out so you couldn’t hear it. Must have been funny since everyone was laughing and clapping. Did anyone hear what was said about Kristen’s mistake after the dawarf comment? If you did please post it. I heard the word b!tch and that was all. All I can say about what Kevin did is that it was about time someone spoke up to stop the hatred. I think more of him for having the courage to do it. Wish Rob or Summit had said it but why would they when they have been milking this all along for money and don’t want the PR to stop. GOOD JOB KEVIN!!!!

Kerry

Posted at 2:41 AM on September 7, 2012

You are right on Ted! Glad Kevin spoke up and did the job Rob or Scummit should have done!
We love your courage Kevin! Wish Rob had been in the audience. Would have loved to have seen his reaction to another man, yes man standing up for Rob’s so called love of his life. Shakes head ….. You missed your chance showing the world that you loved this girl one time and could be the bigger man in this whole mess. Sad, just sad Rob. How is Rob and Scummit going to milk this now that fans and other famous Hollywood people are getting tired of the hatred posters and media torching and crucifying of a girl who made a mistake. Go after Rupert he was the one married.

Harry

Posted at 5:15 AM on September 7, 2012

@Kerry. I’m astonished. Talk about blaming the victim! Cheating isn’t a mistake, it’s a choice. Getting caught is a mistake! If she cheated on him she presumably didn’t love him and he probably now suspects she would likely have dumped him sooner rather than later anyway. That’s very hard for any guy to come to terms with from somebody he apparently until recently saw as his future wife. He’s just protecting himself by keeping clear. It’s a bit much to expect him to ride to her rescue when she’s just ripped his heart out, so to speak! People who think cheating is no big deal are absolutely unsuitable partners for people who believe in lifetime commitment. I don’t dislike her and I wish her well but she’d be much better paired with a guy who shares her values. Hollywood is swarming with guys like that! Anyway, I have to say the supposed “defence” seems pretty ambiguous to me: not so much a defence as mockery!

Al

Posted at 7:44 PM on September 7, 2012

Well said.

i am here for Rob

Posted at 6:47 AM on September 7, 2012

@kerry
he does not have to Show anything to the world(whether he loves her or not)…kristen made a show on 17 jul…and look what is going on…She he is right to stay Silent…again he does not need to Prove anybody anything..what is opinion about what what Kstew did..is that the way someone should show their love??? I have no intention to trash anyone…or to bring it up..But don’t blame Rob for being Himself..

Al

Posted at 7:41 PM on September 7, 2012

She did not miss her chance….

Ted

Posted at 2:30 AM on September 7, 2012

I am so glad someone had the balls to speak up about this. I wish he had left out the dawarf comment but at least he made the comment to leave her alone. It is not like she was married or engaged and the way Rob was treating her at Comic Con might have helped push her to it. Not condoning cheating but if the love of your life treats you like sh!t in front of reporters and other cast members and another man treats you with respect and love even if it was false at the time which person would you be drawn towards. Wrong to cheat but you would have thought she killed the greatest person in the world and spit on the body. She kissed (only) one man. How do we know that her and Rob were still together after the awkward Comic Con incidents? Maybe Summit wouldn’t let her out of the relationship. I am so glad Kevin Hart spoke up for she did not deserve all of the beating and burning at the stake she was getting from Rob’s fans. Rob is not a god. We all make mistakes even Rob has but we should be forgiven too. Thank you Kevin Hart for having the balls to speak up when Rob and Summit didn’t. They will continue to milk the incident for PR and box office revenue until the fans speak out like Kevin did. I wish more people out there would be forgiven and see what they are doing to a girl’s life. How many cheaters have fans forgiven in the past and now idolize them and they did more than kiss a guy. Angelina and Brad, Tiger Woods, Katy Perry and Russel Brand, JayLo and Marc Anthony, Madana and Guy Ritchi, Victoria Beckum and David, Will and Jada Smith, and I could go on. Rob was not in the audience when this was said. He hadn’t arrived yet but I wish he had been there for he should have been a man, told his fans to back off and given Kristin a chance to explain why she did it. So Kevin did the job Rob should have grown a pair and taken care of. THANK YOU KEVIN! It is about time someone spoke up and didn’t care how much hate they will get from Rob’s fans in the morning.

i am here for Rob

Posted at 7:00 AM on September 7, 2012

oh sure sure…Rob is totally milking it..by keeping his mouth shut..right?by avoiding every question about her..right?by not looking Sad or heartbroken..right?by looking gorgeous..by taking the high Road..right??yah..i totally get it!!!
…and summit is Defenately milking it too…using their-fall from epic love story(which had a spell of it’s own,which recked around $700m last time)to something more realistic lovestory(which consists of Cheating)-promotion strategy..sure they really are enjoying this..except the spell is broken now..
again i am not here to trash anyone…but every time you say some bad thing about Rob..or try to drag him through this mess..i’d have to be there..against you..Supporting Rob..

luca

Posted at 1:55 AM on September 7, 2012

such a shock…not. from one cheater to another. plus ruth is his pr. so let’s cheat people it’s OK. such a shame MTV.

scorpio1980

Posted at 2:37 AM on September 7, 2012

it’s ok to cheat if your relationship is complicated/not married/…

ann

Posted at 1:30 AM on September 7, 2012

This ugly guy is hardly understandable…………. He is truly awful.
And said It was a mistake!!!!! so what!!!!!! Move the *beep*on!!!!
I am sure Liberty appreciates that………….Is this what we have to as a Nation/Society??????? This idiot who can’t speak english telling kids that what kristen did is Ok??????? I am nauseous. It is really disgusting.
But now we know why kevin has been making “excuses” for kristen, Ruth is going over board though. Great pr.

JS

Posted at 11:42 PM on September 6, 2012

So if it’s just a small thing and a “mistake” – let’s everyone cheat! It won’t do anything bad to you! What did you say? “Their love will be stronger if they come through this together”? Yeah, right.

It’s not a mistake, it’s a BETRAYAL – it’s a decision which a person makes: could he or couldn’t he? All the rest is a matter of time.

I don’t know how he can defend cheating? It’s f*cking CHEATING!

Do you know what will happen? Girls and boys will be cheating on each other guided the principle: “It’s just a mistake – nothing unforgivable”. Good luck!

Tabby

Posted at 3:50 AM on September 7, 2012

And your teaching children what? That if someone messes up in their PERSONAL life, that they can gang up on that individual like a pack of rabid dogs. Swear, persecute, & BULLY someone for wrong (not criminal), choices in their PRIVATE life. Has she injured you? How? I dislike cheaters, but I wouldn’t debase myself to sink so low & perpetuate this sustained, insane vilification, under the guise of “giving an opinion”. Hopefully civilised young adults will see both the wrong in cheating, & the wrong in public persecution, (if they have been given the right values)

JS

Posted at 1:21 PM on September 7, 2012

Oh, please, she is not an ordinary person like me. She is an actress and she gets millions of bucks from her fans and me particularly, so she knows pros and cons of such life – everybody knows them. Every celebrity is under the microscope – why not she? If she is a s*ut – I can call her a s*ut – it’s not considered invasion of privacy and she doesn’t care anyway. And it’s ridiculous to show her like a martyr who needs a support. She doesn’t deserve forgiveness and she can’t claim to support. And if somebody tells me that I should support her and count her affair as a mistake, I’ll say: “F*CK YOU!” And the lesson is: “Use your brain for thinking, not your p*ssy”.

Strangefans

Posted at 11:29 PM on September 7, 2012

Love it!!!! Very well put. If people minded their own business they could be alot more successful. Only person who has a right to be mad or hurt is Rob.

Tabby

Posted at 5:59 PM on September 7, 2012

@JS, Just as I thought, thanks you’ve answered my question

Strangefans

Posted at 11:38 PM on September 7, 2012

You need to see a psych.I pray your not a parent or plan on being one anytime soon. You feed hate. How could you say she doesnt deserve forgiveness? Your parents should really take your computer from you (praying that you are a crazed, hormone driven teenager because if your an adult you need help NOW) Who are you to say such things like that wise old saint one??? I hope God grants you mercy and so much more forgiveness then you think others deserve. Very sad. Pray and be blessed.

GetALIFE!!!

Posted at 10:49 PM on September 6, 2012

I don’t know why people are still talking about this ship!!! It’s none of our business…I just see all of this hate and feel the need to stand up for Kristen! Dang…some people act like she cheated on you! WTF??? Get a life people and MOVE ON!

Monique

Posted at 2:58 AM on September 7, 2012

I totally agree with you Get a Life! Apparently the haters don’t get the point he was trying to make. He was telling THEM to stop with the hatred and put your focus on something productive not negative. He didn’t say cheating was okay. He said hatred was getting old and move on to something else.
My God how thick are these haters that they are posting hatred still and now going after someone else with their hate post. Let it REST people she didn’t kill Rob or your puppy.

Candy A Goodas

Posted at 10:46 PM on September 6, 2012

AM SO HAPPY HE DEFENDED HER SHE IS A NICE PERSON AND I LOVE HER ALL YOU HOUNDS LEAVE HER THE …….. ALONE.

Tina

Posted at 10:43 PM on September 6, 2012

I do not think Rob was in the audience. I watched that part of the show and I woulda thought the camera would have bouced to Rob to see his expression,and I was waiting for it, and it did not happen. I did see the clip and it was AWESOME ! We cannot wait to see it in our home. For once, a movie we all want to see ! I kept watching the show to see Rob and they kept showing Taylor,which made my youngest daughter happy ! I was glad to see One Direction there,take home two moon men. They remind me of NKOTB.

For those who have no idea who they are: New Kids On The Block.
Great show and was glad that Tayolor Swift’s outfir at the end was very understated. I guess she LOVE red. Wow, she looked great as a ’50′s style teenager :)
Loved the red/white t-shirt :)

AnnaK

Posted at 10:36 PM on September 6, 2012

No, he did not defend her. He used her for cheap laughs and fame just like Ferrel and Bruce Willis. Just another jerk. Plus he is mad because she did not go to the VMAs. Instead she went to Toronto to promote her movie and take a few days in the city since her movie does not premiere until a couple of days.

Mary Ann

Posted at 3:21 AM on September 7, 2012

The VMA producers knew Kristen would be attending the premiere of On the Road. She was never scheduled to be there but Rob was not suppose to be there as well and showed last min. They were suppose to have vedio feed of her helping them introduce the trailer. I don’t know who cut that out. Kevin asked the haters to move on and focus on something else. He said she made a mistake and insinuated it was time to stop with the crucifying of her and move on. He didn’t condone the cheating but implied she had paid enough for it. I don’t think he got through to the thick heads that are now posting hatred about him for saying something. He is a comedian and I think the way he did it went better than if he had just stated the facts. He is friends with Drake and the others he also brought into the mistake comments so I don’t think he was dishing Kristen. I didn’t like the dawarf comment though and they blanked out what he said after the dawarf comment. Wish I had heard it so I would know for sure he wasn’t using Kristen. Did you hear it? Will Ferrel is a giant a$$. He did what he did to be funny but it backfired. Bruce Willis is not one to be dishing about cheaters since he is one himself but I think he was trying to get the young crowd to notice his movie. Tastless way of doing it though.

margaux_p

Posted at 10:00 PM on September 6, 2012

kevin was right and the hollywoodlife .com are the idiots..period!

***

Posted at 9:43 PM on September 6, 2012

Ummmm Kevin Hart is also repped by Kristen’s same publicist, so no surprise, and Kevin Hart is a huge cheater who cheated on his wife and was caught multiple times. Of course he called it a mistake, from one cheater to another.

Tom

Posted at 3:37 AM on September 7, 2012

How do you know this? Have you seen his name on Ruth’s client list? Did you cheat with Hart and thats how you know he cheated? Do you have proof or are you just here to spout more hatred for someone now who had the balls to stand up and tell you people that you have said and done enough. Are you so thick that you don’t relize he was talking to you and all the others who have nothing better to do or are to big of cowards that they sit around and spout hatred over the internet instead of getting a life. Now you are spreading the seed about him so other haters can jump on the band wagon. I heard Kristen fired her publicist so why would Ruth want to help her if Kevin is a client of Ruths. Which you don’t have proof of. If he is then why didn’t Ruth stop the hatred before it got out of hand? Where has Kristen’s publicist been for 5 weeks because they sure in the h#ll have not been earning the huge amount Kristen is paying them. You would think she would have better publicist and they would have been helping her from the start not 5 weeks after she has been drawn, quarterd and burned at the stake by animals like you.

***

Posted at 7:24 AM on September 7, 2012

Ummm Kevin hart got caught at a Lakers game with the girl he was dating. It was all over the internet and then HE himself admitted to it. He even spoke about it in one of stand ups. Second, try google. You can find amazing information. And Ruth tweeting Kevin Hart right before the VMA’s was A BIG helper too. If you were paying attention you would have seen Ruth with Kristen at the On the Road premiere last night, so she wasn’t fired obviously. There are photos if you need that proof. So, no I am not thick, but obviously you are. I am not spreading the “seed”. They are facts, and anyone who has the internet can look them up.

aquarius64

Posted at 9:34 PM on September 6, 2012

How was that a defense? It would have been one if he left out the adultery and cheating riff. That was a backhanded cheap shot cloaked as a joke. I’m sure Rob and Liberty appreciate your sense of humor I knew Kristen was going to get clowned for this on this show. Congratulations Hart you opened Kristen up to a new round of scorn and ridicule. And don’t look for any jobs at Universal since you reminded everyone that studio’s movie was the scene of the crime. Right on time for the SWATH DVD release on 9/11.

Scarlett

Posted at 9:32 PM on September 6, 2012

Thank-you to kevin

rock21

Posted at 9:25 PM on September 6, 2012

I bet they pay him not tosay anything maybe when they told him he was going to host the vmas and this scandal happen i bet he was going to say something mean because that what comedian do they say mean things and make fun of ppl and there situations but i bet kristen pr said not to say anything they begg him not to say anything.

Thantawan Chan

Posted at 9:23 PM on September 6, 2012

Kissing is like a greeting 2 me :P

Not a shock

Posted at 9:13 PM on September 6, 2012

No I am not surprised at all ALL OF HW STARS are on Krisren side WHY because in her young 22 years she has never done anything wrong never put anyone down minds her own business. She made a mistake and did not play the HW game by putting it off she owned up to it no mater what the cost. And also because it really is not a life or death mistake she kissed a married man which is not the first to do and will not be the last. The ONLY PEOPLE WHO HAVE A PROBLEM AND CAN’T LET GO ARE ROB”S F-ED UP FANS. Like he said “EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES” Sucks to be a Kristen hater because she is still loved by her peers and fans. and SANE AND NORMAL people stop caring about this 2 days it happened. I LOVE that it pisses some off that NO one cares about this it shows just how true it is that Rob has some crazy F-ED up fans YOU make him look like a fool how you act.

Stupid ppl..

Posted at 9:22 PM on September 6, 2012

^First, not all HW stars are on kristens side. where did u get that from?
Second, its not just rob fans that are acting up. There were people who were really huge fans of her before this and decided to dumb her (probably werent real fans to begin with since you support whoever you love no matter what issue) not all of robs fans are “f-ed up” some are actually not hating on kristen (or at least me) because ur not supporting rob by calling her a slut or trampire. People dont have to like her..there should still be some level of respect though and thats what i and some other rob fans have for her. No matter what she did.

Tra-Tra

Posted at 9:27 PM on September 6, 2012

CAN I GET A AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan

Posted at 11:27 PM on September 6, 2012

Then why are you still talking about it? It was poor taste to make Rob and Kristen again the butt of hollywood’s jokes. How do think that made Rob feel to walk among those people, even his own cast, wondering what they are thinking but can’t say it to his face.

Moria T.

Posted at 4:44 AM on September 7, 2012

I think poor Rob is doing just fine Jane. Just watched the VMAs on the MTV on line live stream from my computer. They had cameras set up so you could view the action back stage, in the hallway, prep room, coming off stage and the audience. You could view everything at the same time so I saw everything Mr. Pattinson did. He came into the prep room after the other Twilight cast had arrived. He was late since he had been out in the hall kissing and hugging on Rhiania. He walked in an all the movie executives rushed to shake his hand or pat him on the back and spent a good time surrounding him while he laughed and joked with them. This whole time Taylor was standing three feet from him and Rob was looking at Taylor while talking to the executives. When they finally left him to go with the stage manager Rob turned his back on Taylor and acted like he didn’t know he was there. Taylor looked confused and stood there looking at Rob’s back. Wyick Godfrey walked up to Rob with the stage manager and was showing him something while the stage manager kept pointing to something. Rob looked pissed and said something to Godfrey who left to talk to Taylor who then looked upset. Godfrey walked off and Rob started talking to Peter and Elizabeth who were standing on the other side of the room. When he had finished Taylor walked the three feet to Rob and tapped him on the shoulder. Rob ignored him until a man with a camera came up and was scanning the room for up close viewing. Rob then turned around and acted all friendly to Taylor until the camera man left. Then he walked away from Taylor and went to talk to the Fabulous 5 gymnast. Taylor tried to talk to him again when they were going on stage but Rob ignored him and caught up with Peter. When they left the stage Taylor waited for Rob but Rob just walked right by him and wouldn’t acknowledge him. He didn’t sit with Peter, Taylor, Elizabeth and Jackson either in the audience. So I ask you why did Rob snub Taylor? Taylor was being a gentleman and Rob was acting like the King had arrived with all the executives slobbering over him. I think Kristen has really helped Rob’s career and why should he speak up to his fans like Kevin did for he is getting too much positive attention from playing poor Rob to you all. I felt sorry for Taylor. I guess he isn’t important enough to be in Rob’s company now.

Maria

Posted at 9:01 PM on September 6, 2012

denn

Posted at 9:00 PM on September 6, 2012

Yeah cheating is fine! Lets everyone do it.

Strangefans

Posted at 11:49 PM on September 7, 2012

Judging is fine too let everyone do it. Oh wait you cant forgive because she cheated on you????? Oh wait no she didn’t.

Bs

Posted at 8:58 PM on September 6, 2012

A bad choice that Kristen has and is paying for in so many ways. She will never be the same. Time the online bullying ends.

lady

Posted at 8:49 PM on September 6, 2012

Beverly Jenkins

Posted at 8:43 PM on September 6, 2012

Thank-you Kevin lets get to what’s important she is a helluva actor and her alleged mistake isn’t what defines her. Kristin you are much loved hold your head up and do what you do act. As a young woman you shall grow from this. Love you Kevin

aquarius64

Posted at 9:36 PM on September 6, 2012

It’s not an ALLEGED mistake. She did it, she admitted to it, accept it.

Ted

Posted at 5:07 AM on September 7, 2012

@auquarius64. Wondered when you were going to show your true self. Saw the previous post you made about trashing Kevin for standing up to you haters on Kristen’s behalf. You have trashed Kristen on every site I have been on. Your name along with many others I see here are on the haters list for idiots that can’t let this go. I didn’t like the dawarf comment but I think Kevin was trying to keep the haters off his back since you all have been tweeting hatred and trash about anyone who told you animals enough hatred, move on, this show is over. So in your other post you tried to start up seeds of doubt about Kevin just like the rest of your pack of wolves on here are doing. I don’t think he opened her up to anymore scorn and ridicule then what you idiots have done. Do you need a lobotomy since apparently you didn’t get the point he was trying to make. Well what should I expect since you spend all your time at home on your computer spreading hatred and that is all you understand. Let me review: He said she made a mistake like several others have done but you animals can’t let it go and keep pushing the hatred to punish her more. Kevin then insinuated that the hatred needs to stop, you need to get a life, and focus on something else because she made a mistake and has given enough of her life to you haters. Find someone else to sick you pack of wolves on for you animals have chewed her up and there is nothing left. Don’t start on Kevin either for the backlash may be more than you expect for he is popular and loved by Hollywood.

Stupid ppl..

Posted at 8:42 PM on September 6, 2012

Lmfao! Kevin hart! Why? Hahaha. I literally froze when he said her name…i thought he was gonna say some mean ishh. I love him :)

SAA

Posted at 8:42 PM on September 6, 2012

I’m sure Liberty appreciates his approval of the cheating… maybe he can explain his logic to her kids! Oh, and by the way, his publicist is the same as Kristen’s. Why not include that detail, HL?

claire

Posted at 9:28 PM on September 6, 2012

SAA
How old are you? He did not say cheating was okay. He said Kristen made a mistake, and we all make them, so just move on. The only person who needs to explain to Liberty’s kids is their father. No one is saying what kristen did was right, but she is sorry for it. Remember, she didn’t do anything to you personally. Therefore, move on and let the people who are involve, deal with it.

Jan

Posted at 11:29 PM on September 6, 2012

But look at the reference he made to the dwarfs….adultry and cheating.

Strangefans

Posted at 11:53 PM on September 7, 2012

Well said Claire. She wasn’t married and those were not her kids.

Mary Ann

Posted at 5:16 AM on September 7, 2012

Did you know for a fact that Ruth is Kevin’s publicist? Did you get the point he was trying to make? A BIG NO i guess since you are still spreading the hatred and lieing to create more hatred. Liberty is doing fine milking the situation for movie roles and getting her name out there so you need to move on and find something productive to do with your time instead of spouting hatred on the internet. Maybe anger managment counseling would be a good use of your time? Appearing on Dr. Phil might help to relive some of the deep hatred you have and people can start posting about your problems then and drag you through the gutter until there is nothing left.

Mary Ann

Posted at 5:19 AM on September 7, 2012

My above comment was to SAA not clair.

Laura

Posted at 8:39 PM on September 6, 2012

Disaster as a host.. He talk talks and talks… Oh man STFU!! Please!!!