‘Awkward’ Star Ashley Rickards Debuts Blonde Hair At MTV VMAs

Thu, September 6, 2012 7:13pm EDT by 17 Comments
Courtesy of MTV, Twitter

Are you a fan of Ashley’s dramatic new ‘do? Check out before-and-after pics, then vote!

Forget Team Matty and Team Jake; Ashley Rickards proved she’s Team Blonde when she debuted new, lighter locks at the 2012 MTV Video Music Awards. “It’s time for the #VMA2012… ;)” the Awkward star tweeted Sept. 6, along with a photo of herself in a limo on the way to the show.

What say you, judges of hair? Will Ashley have more fun as a blonde, or would she be better off sticking to her roots?

Vote now!

— Andy Swift

More Awkward-ness:

1. ‘Awkward’ Star Nikki DeLoach Talks Lacey & Kevin’s Future (Together?)
  2. ‘Awkward’ Recap: Jenna’s Blog Goes Public
  3. ‘Awkward’ Recap: So… Did Jake & Jenna Finally Have Sex?

Nicole McAuly

Posted at 1:16 AM on September 26, 2012

I think with the blonde hair and weight loss she looks like Jamie Pressly… When I saw her on the after show I was like what is she doing here? It took me a minute to realize it was Ashley. Either way she looks good, but it really is a drastic change.

elle wolf

Posted at 10:17 PM on September 22, 2012

I think that she may have some sort of autoimmune disease. This is why she got what is referred to as “moon face” in season 2 and also that spare tire around her waist. This is what being on prednisone (steroids) does to you, and many people with painful autoimmune diseases have no choice but to take them off and on for long periods of time for the rest of their lives. Of course, my speculation about her having an autoimmune disease is just that, but I’d bet my money on the fact that it is steroids that caused that moon face. I know because I see it first hand in my own life. And that may also explain why she was acting very strange tonight. Maybe she is on some other sort of medications if she has an illness. IDK. But I also did not recognize her in the aftershow. I definitely like her much better as a brunette. And it certainly was a very strange vibe on that aftershow, that’s for sure. Whatever the case may be, it’s a cute show, and I hope that all is well with Ashley Rickards.

elle wolf

Posted at 10:19 PM on September 22, 2012

Oh, and without a doubt she’s had her lips plumped!

Alura

Posted at 10:16 PM on September 22, 2012

Sooner or later everyone falls into the Hollywood mode. Don’t women/girls know that natural is beauty?

Kim

Posted at 9:25 PM on September 22, 2012

I’m a big fan of Ashley & love the show but I didn’t recognize her either when I first saw her on the After Show. She looks very different with the blonde hair, tan & weight loss. I don’t really think she’s had work done on her face. I think it’s the weight loss that’s changed her look. She’s still a pretty girl with the blonde hair & all but I prefer her dark hair & fair skin…her natural beauty! I agree that she seemed a little bit off kilter during the show but maybe that’s just her personality? I also hope that she isn’t feeling like she has to go the sex kitten route. She’s a wonderful actress & a lovely girl & I really hope she’ll realize she doesn’t have to change herself. Her fans love her as she is! I’m wishing her nothing but the best.

shy

Posted at 12:26 AM on September 22, 2012

agreed i hate the new look and she made herself look really bad you could tell even the cast had an issue with her. she came off as stuck up!

MixeeB

Posted at 12:36 AM on September 27, 2012

I so agree. I felt uncomfortable…No! Awkward the whole show! Totally seemed stuck up and what was up with the winking and sultry looks toward Beau? I heart her and the show and hated seeing her like that.

Sienna

Posted at 4:44 AM on September 21, 2012

She looks like Jamie Pressly now. The tan and weight loss has really aged her. Watching the Awkward after show and she seems drunk or something.

Mish

Posted at 11:58 AM on September 21, 2012

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICED. she looked sick too. & her lips look botxed! what is goin on with the girl?! :(

rachael

Posted at 2:50 AM on September 21, 2012

You nailed it about the face work and unhealthy weight appearance . Its sad and unfortunate :( But that’s what society has came to.. well I guess I should say the fashion and television industry.. I hate that the beautiful Marilyn Monroe was probably two times her weight, and men drolled over her.. but now, to be consider attractive or beautiful, this is what you do?

danasa

Posted at 12:14 AM on September 21, 2012

I didnt even recognize her… I like her much better with brown hair. She looks soo much skinner now, but still very pretty <3 her!!!

mistyjean

Posted at 11:43 PM on September 20, 2012

I mean… on the after show she looked like she was on drugs and starving herself. Plus, it looks like she had some work done on her face. I could sense the tension among the cast against her. Poor thing. Only 20 and heading down a wrong path.

nancy

Posted at 11:28 PM on September 20, 2012

She looks anorexic

brit

Posted at 11:22 PM on September 20, 2012

she looks like shes on drugs… deff not cute.

Morgan

Posted at 11:13 PM on September 20, 2012

i hate the new locks. Completely UGLY! I hate it, and the tan, nope. I’m watching the after show and yeah.. she is pretty with the darker hair all the way. Ashley, go back to your natural hair color.

Charron

Posted at 11:27 PM on September 20, 2012

Omg, I know. I was thinking the same thing!

Jenn

Posted at 2:41 AM on September 21, 2012

I think Ashley looks amazing! Looks like shes growing up and trying to play the sex kitten card. Good luck sister. I wonder if she’s trying to bid for the 50 shades of gray part? Ha!