Paul Ryan Says Rape Is A ‘Method Of Conception’

Tue, August 28, 2012 3:45pm EDT by 13 Comments

Paul Ryan, the Republican nominee for Vice President under candidate Mitt Romney, recently spoke about abortion and his words are causing quite the backlash. Keep reading to see what he said!

In an interview with a Tennessee-based CBS affiliate, Paul Ryan said that he is pro-life. But that isn’t the only position he holds that is causing controversy.

The reporter asked if Ryan thought that rape was a legitimate reason to get an abortion. He responded, “I’m very proud of my pro-life record, and I’ve always adopted the idea that, the position that the method of conception doesn’t change the definition of life.”

We recently spoke with Katherine Hull, a spokesperson for the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network [RAINN] who commented on Rep. Todd Akin‘s controversial stance, that some rapes are “legitimate” and some are not — but neither are cause for abortion.

She tells HollywoodLife.com EXCLUSIVELY, “Simply put, Rep. Akin’s claim is ridiculous. While there was such a time when it was commonly believed that pregnancy couldn’t result from rape, that time was hundreds of years ago. Now we know better. Each year, thousands of women become pregnant as the result of rape, and many more survivors are faced with PTSD, depression and other long-term results of the crime. Supporting survivors — and recognizing the impact of the crime on them — is the very least we should expect from our political leaders.”

How do you feel about this very controversial issue, HollywoodLifers? Vote below.

WJHL.com

– Reporting by Russ Weakland, Written by Dory Larrabee

More Political News:

1. Mitt Romney Taps Paul Ryan As His VP Running Mate
  2. Beyonce Gushes Over Michelle Obama In New Campaign Video
  3. Stars Tweet Support For President Obama’s Gay Marriage Endorsement

opchick

Posted at 9:58 AM on August 30, 2012

I have always been a Republican, this will be the first presidential race I am voting Democrat…the more the Republicans talk, the more I realize they do not have womens best interests in mind. I am a married woman with 4 children, 1 of which is a girl…I fear for her future as a woman with Republicans in control. I never thought I would ever think this way, but I have matured enough to understand that my body is MY body, the child I carry is MY child. NO ONE should be able to dictate to me whether or not, I MUST continue a pregnancy, whether thru rape or not.

Soccer20

Posted at 9:40 AM on August 29, 2012

if this is about Ryan’s comment, why did the whole 2nd half of the article talk about Akin’s comment and someone’s response to it. Ryan and Akins comments are COMPLETELY different.

jess

Posted at 6:51 AM on August 29, 2012

He didnt say rape was a method of conception.
He SAID that it doesnt matter how the baby was conceived, a life is still a life and its worth protecting.
I dont agree or disagree personally but at least quote him correctly. HL is obviously liberak and pro-obama. Dont use a site about Hollywood to indoctrinate others with your political views. Between this, your flawed and false reporting of other items in Hollywood and your made up controversies, I will no longer read this website. Youve lost a fan.

Chris

Posted at 3:24 AM on August 29, 2012

Im a republican and I will be voting for Romney, but I do believe that if a woman is raped she should have the option of an abortion. I also think that if the womans life could be put at risk an abortion is also okay to consider.

tiki

Posted at 9:17 PM on August 28, 2012

she shouldn’t HAVE to. but it should be up to her no matter what.

Rayleigh

Posted at 7:42 PM on August 28, 2012

It’s all up to you, Rep. Akins claim made me sick. Rape is rape, it’s not fun. I was raped when i was 8 years old. I didn’t become pregnant do to the fact that my body was not ready for me to have one. ALL RAPE IS RAPE!!!!!!

nik27

Posted at 6:24 PM on August 28, 2012

If you do not believe in abortion, do not have one. That opinion does not give you the right to impose your beliefs on any other woman. Everyone lives in their own body, so they should decide if they want to bring life into this world via their body; no one has the right to take that away from anyone. I personally could never see myself getting an abortion. There are plenty of people who would love to adopt. However, I would never impose my belief on any other woman faced with that decision. It is their business, their body, their choice. PERIOD.

Me

Posted at 6:03 PM on August 28, 2012

Am not a Ryan fan, am actually a democrat… but u guys just want to misquote him
If u really read through his comment ul get that he just doesn’t support abortion and that every life is important regardless of how it was formed.
U guys just like creating controversies where there are none….. U should be ashamed.

hannah

Posted at 4:28 PM on August 28, 2012

I find your question a little inappropriate. I don’t think that “If a woman is raped and gets pregnant, should she have the baby?” is the question here, the thing is every women should have the possibility to make their decision on their own! Whether they are pregnant because of a rape or not should not even be a criteria to allow them an abortion! It’s their freaking body, no one should decide for them! And by the way, lucky for Todd Akin and Paul Ryan, they are men, so they will never have to struggle to those kind of decisions making!

jengirl

Posted at 4:26 PM on August 28, 2012

How come they don’t post the whole quote and only post the word legitimate in quotes? Not that this website is a reliable source for news.

Rich Sol

Posted at 4:19 PM on August 28, 2012

What Akin said was stupid and offensive. Ryan’s statement was the opposite, acknowledging the truth that rape can lead to conception. And it was said in the context of his belief that a fetus is a human life regardless of how it was conceived, in response to a question posed to him on that subject.

So an unjustified left/liberal slam agaisnt Ryan.

A

Posted at 3:56 PM on August 28, 2012

As a man, I don’t think men should ever make decisions about women’s issues. We don’t know what it’s like and we will never know. I understand what pro-lifers are saying, but there are always exceptions and special circumstances to every situation. I believe Grace (from Will & Grace) said it best: “Get out of my vagina, you’re not the president.”

Jennifer

Posted at 11:02 AM on August 29, 2012

Way to go “A” we need more men that think like you! Abortion should be up to a woman to decide.