‘Pretty Little Liars’ Summer Finale: Creator Reveals ‘Multiple Betrayals’

Mon, August 27, 2012 5:28pm EDT by 11 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family (2)

Marlene King gives HollywoodLife.com the scoop on the Aug. 28 finale, including how fans will get their long-awaited ‘justice for Maya.’

We’re just 27 hours away from the summer finale of Pretty Little Liars, which means we’re also just 27 hours away from finding out which of Rosewood’s shady residents was responsible for Maya’s death — but that’s not the only major revelation the Aug. 28 episode has in store for us! Creator Marlene King tells HollywoodLife.com to expect a “stunning” hour full of “multiple betrayals.” Oh, and get ready to scream.

Read on for my interview with Marlene:

There’s some discrepency among fans: Is the betrayer definitely one of the 12 people on ABC Family’s online tracker?

I think we can say that, yes. But there’s a lot that goes on. We find out who killed Maya, and we also find out another member of the “A” team. So there could be multiple betrayals.

Do you think revealing Maya’s killer will help the ‘Emaya’ fans find some closure?

I’ve always subtitled this episode “Justice for Maya,” so I’m hoping the answer is yes.

I spoke with Bianca last week, and she said there’s one more Maya video we haven’t seen. Is that true?

That is true, and you’ll see it tomorrow night!

How far into the episode is the betrayer revealed? Right away, or are you making us sweat it out?

You’re going to have to sweat it out — for a little while, at least. The last half of the episode is a shotgun; It just doesn’t stop. There’s so much that happens, and we’re really proud of this episode. It’s become my all-time favorite episode. I showed it to Shay Mitchell and Ashley Benson the other day, and they were just screaming! I actually video taped them because they were screaming their heads off so much. It feels like a huge season-ending finale, as opposed to a summer finale.

Which of the liars delivers the most heartbreaking performance on the finale?

Because it’s “justice for Maya,” and we’ve been open about that, I think you’ll see that Shay just rocks this episode. It’s a stunning performance. She blows me away every time, and I’ve seen it 10 times.

Do you have a definite list of all the “A” team members, or are you keeping your options open?

We definitely know the list. It’s in my head, not written down anywhere, but if we’re going to attempt to be as smart as we try to be, we have to know the end game.

The second part of my interview with Marlene will be posted tomorrow, but in the meantime, let’s share some summer finale theories: Who do YOU think killed Maya? Who will be the additional “A” team member revealed? And who are the girls (mostly Hanna) mourning in the above photo? Drop me a comment with your best guesses!

— Andy Swift

More Pretty Little Liars scoop:

1. ‘Pretty Little Liars’: Who Killed Maya? Bianca Lawson Weighs In
  2. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Preview: Jenna Comes Between Hanna & Caleb
  3. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Casts Larisa Oleynik As Ezra’s Baby Mama

janet

Posted at 11:10 PM on August 28, 2012

i thought melissa killed maya..ohwell i’ll find out when i download episode 1

Katie

Posted at 11:30 AM on August 28, 2012

I think nate is actually impersonating mayas cousin but is actually her stalker from true north that she mentioned before she went missing. I think he is getting close to emIly to find the right time to kill her too for maya wanting to be with emily instead. I think jenna saw more then is known as nate said “dont pretend like you dont see me..i know you SAW me”..i also think paige just robbed the grave to take what she could to get back at ali. I think that is what she meant when she said “i couldnt let her win”..she got the last say basically – she took ali’s dignity? I dunno lol

nicole

Posted at 7:38 AM on August 28, 2012

god!!!!!! just show it already!

Arthur

Posted at 4:26 AM on August 28, 2012

Okay, so i’m going to try to figure this whole thing out.

Why is Hannah the only one thats emotional? Maybe something happened to Caleb. Maybe that last kiss set “A” off to cut him for good? or maybe it has something to do with Lucas? Who knows.

And for it tor eally a betrayal, don’t you think that it may have to be one of the main girls? My guess is Emily. Reason being? 1. Look at that face, oh my gosh haha. 2. Maybe the murder of Maya just made her… snap? Just like Mona snapped after being left out and replaced?

They are making it WAY to obvious with Paige. She’s NOT “A”, come on guys. Did they make it that obvious with Mona? Nope. I never guessed it was Mona, honestly. It’s not paige, guys. Not now.

Acorrding to ABC, these are the suspected “A” members.

Ashley and Byron. No. why would they want to hurt their kids?
Toby and Caleb? They are just sweethearts.. just.. no.

Spencer, Hannah, Aria. NO.

I don’t care for Melissa. She’s a bitch, Lol/

Ezra is still hiding something, but it isn’t something as big as being “A”.

Lucas most certianley has something to do with “A”. Maybe that’s why Hanna is crying? (It was her best friend last time, why can’t it be someone close to her again?)

Paige. Too obvi guys.

*I’m about to say something about “A” in the book so if you don’t wanna know don’t read on!!*

In the book, it says this.

“They’re shocked to learn of the existence of Alison’s twin, Courtney, when she’s introduced at a press conference. She attempts to resume her sister’s life and begins tentative friendships with Ali’s old friends, even striking up a romantic relationship with Emily. Courtney later reveals proof that she is the real Alison, explaining that her twin, Courtney, pretended to be her on the night of the murder. Although skeptical at first, the girls slowly begin to trust Alison.
Ali invites the girls to her house in the Poconos after the dance, where she tricks them and locks them in an upstairs bedroom. In a letter, she reveals that she is the second “A” and is responsible for the deaths of Courtney, Ian, and Jenna. Alison explains that the Alison they’d been friends with years ago was actually Courtney. She blames the Liars for “stealing” her life and sets the house on fire, in an attempt to kill them (and Melissa, who Alison had kidnapped and tied up in the house)”

Courtney = Cici.in my opinion. I think “A” could be Cici. It makes sense. Since the first episode, right when Cd her first lines, they thought it was Ali. Remember? That was a big clue for me. Possible “A’s” in order 1: Emily. 2: Cici 3: Paige.

But that’s just me I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

I CANT FREAKING WAIT!!

janet

Posted at 11:13 PM on August 28, 2012

its true it must be Alisons twin .the first time i watched ppl i thought it was alison. i never read the books and didnt understand what was going on so i though since the notes read -A i thought it was alison

Lindsey

Posted at 10:03 PM on August 27, 2012

Paige croaked maya so she can have Em and I still reckon there is something shifty about Toby. I was reading the other comments late at night and heard my phone vibrate from a text. Totally thought it was A. Frozen with fear, I looked at my phone. It was my mum.

Hania

Posted at 8:57 PM on August 27, 2012

it’s Paige

l

Posted at 7:13 PM on August 27, 2012

Its Nate

Jayce

Posted at 6:03 PM on August 27, 2012

I think that the next A team member is Paige. Spencer knows something about her that the other liars don’t. I suspect that Hanna is upset over the deah of Mona perhaps. I strongly believe that Paige and/or Nate killed Maya.

Andy Swift

Posted at 6:22 PM on August 27, 2012

Paige seems too obvious.

But then again… so did Mona :-/

Emily shaw

Posted at 10:36 PM on August 27, 2012

I don’t think Mona was obvious at all…. I think Nate killed Maya. Seeing his anger over Emily not wanting to be with him. Plus he was talking bad about Emily saying she was always going from guy to guy…. What if he really isn’t her cousin. He could be lying and crazy. I think something is either going to happen to Mona or Hannas mom