Kourtney Kardashian Cooks With Baby Penelope Near Stove — Safe?

Mon, August 27, 2012 7:41pm EST by 20 Comments
Kourtney Kardashian baby Penelope
Courtesy of Instagram

The reality star was snapped in a photo cooking breakfast with her brand-new baby close to her chest — and close to the stove! Is that safe for a newborn?

Kourtney Kardashian is a well-known health nut who prefers to eat organically and cook her own food, but this time she might have put her baby Penelope Scotland Disicknot even two months old, at risk!

Little sister and Instagram enthusiast Kim Kardashian shared a photo of Kourt and her baby to fans on Aug. 26.

“I woke up this morning to this…gotta love @kourtneykardash making breakfast,” she wrote.

But many of Kim’s followers were not amused, and pointed out that having a 7-week-old baby so close to a lit stove is dangerous!

“She has a baby in that next to the hot stove… Not so smart,” @milenka89 commented on Instagram.

@romirosen agreed, and wrote, “Slings are great, but baby needs to be higher up. She should tighten the strap and prop [the] baby up a bit (try a small towel or receiving blanket underneath her).”

Another user, @raniaajilat, pointed out the dangers of not only the hot appliance, but also cooking ingredients! “Yeah safe spot for the baby — oil splashes and then what?”

While some users came to Kourtney’s defense (and luckily baby Penelope wasn’t hurt), it got us thinking — is it really safe to cook with your baby in a sling that close to the stove?

What do YOU think HollyMoms? Do you cook with your babies close by? Sound off in the comments below!

– Christina Stiehl

More Kourtney Kardashian news:

1. Kourtney Kardashian: Looking Slim Post-Baby
  2. Kourtney Kardashian Gained Nearly 45 Pounds While Pregnant
  3. Kim V. Kourtney Kardashian: Who Rocked The Braid Better? Vote

wanda

Posted at 8:13 PM on September 28, 2012

I just personally never took that chance
because anything could happen. That’s why They’re called accidents. To each his own. If she’s confident enough then fine. No need to judge anyone. It’s not like she’s deliberately hurting the baby. Leave her alone

boomtube

Posted at 4:00 PM on September 28, 2012

Personally I’ve put tons of babies in the oven without a problem…Should I troll harder? This is non issue made into one. I’m sure all you perfect mother never did anything to put your baby in danger…

Maggie

Posted at 10:53 AM on September 28, 2012

Personally, I wouldn’t. I have a 5 month old and never have done this. Seems a bit risky to me. I’ve never had an accident but accidents do and can happen. I wouldn’t want my daughter in the middle of it. She is either in her bouncy or her Dad has her. Which 98% of the time, she is with him. It gives me a little down time while cooking and Daddy Daughter bonding time :-)
Im sure she is a wonderful mother and would never intentialy (sp) put her babies at risk. But again, things happen some times out of our control. And if it is something that can be prevented, ill do it.

Melissa

Posted at 10:39 AM on September 28, 2012

I do have children and I will agree it’s dangerous. Someone said they would have never been able to eat without the sling and cooking? I always put my daughter in her bouncy seat, the pack and play, etc. I would never, ever allow her so close to a flame. You never know when you will get a pop and burn. I would just be so horribly uncomfortable with it. Sorry but I think they are thinking more about cute photos than safety. Hurry up and tweet this “super cute” photo. That’s all it’s about. Ask a physician if it’s safe, they will look at you like a moron.

LuLu

Posted at 10:07 AM on September 28, 2012

Shes not a bad mom for it or anything… just taking a chance that whatever she’s cooking MAY pop out and burn the babies head. I have two kids and STILL keep them away from the stove when I am cooking for that reason, it hurts pretty bad and I personally would rather be safe than sorry.

Sure danger is everywhere….but that’s for them to find out as they get older.. not for you to purposely put them in and then say “oh you can’t shelter them.” It’s a little baby who can’t do anything for itself, that comment makes no sense for an infant. If you feel that way then you should have no problem letting the baby fuss for a bit in its bed while you cook either.

viva

Posted at 9:00 AM on September 18, 2012

Those slings are dangerous for newborns. I believe they were recalled due to suffocation without the parent realizing it. They just thought baby was asleep. Then tragedy of tragedies.

Hugs and Strawberries

Posted at 6:55 PM on August 28, 2012

I have a dozen photos of me with both my kids in a sling cooking. Otherwise, I would have never eaten anything with young children. I’m shocked the polls think it’s so dangerous. I guess you don’t have kids?

Brenda

Posted at 9:55 PM on August 28, 2012

When I cooked with my kids the were placed in their infant seats away from the stove. I’m sorry I totally disagree with Kourtney and the sling. There are such things as grease fires and accidently knocking a pan off the stove.

Hugs and Strawberries

Posted at 10:19 PM on August 28, 2012

To each his own of course. Maybe I’m exceedingly lucky, but I’ve never had a grease fire or knocked a pan off the stove. Never a burn mark or injury to my kids. And I cook with my stove 3 times a day, 7 days a week, with rare exception. I’d rather have my kids actually be held, then spend all their time in an infant seat.

Melissa

Posted at 10:40 AM on September 28, 2012

Absolutely agree. I don’t care if my child is being held or not, if it means their safety, they will be just fine in a bouncy seat with a mobile. Also, I cooked a lot less on the stove when my daughter was a baby. Why risk it?

Laura

Posted at 1:18 PM on August 28, 2012

SMH. I’m sure every mother out there has cooked something while their child is in their arms, or a sling, etc… but nobody ever says anything about then, but because it’s a Kardashian the whole world must know… Get a grip people. Mason is still alive, with no burn marks, and living a good life. I’m sure Penelope will be the exact same way. Not every famous person needs a nanny close by to take care of their kids, believe it or not they may actually want to raise their child themselves. Cut the woman some slack, and think of what you’ve done wrong… Seriously.

Leanne

Posted at 1:13 PM on August 28, 2012

What happens if summit splases out of the pan
onto the baby penelope.? She is a good mom but
that was my worry.when I saw the pic i was a bit
shocked

jah

Posted at 9:22 AM on August 28, 2012

oh come on she stop and took the picture . shes not that close to the stove. She did a great job with her son and i am sure she will protect her daughter. People it is not that serious as the media and twitter fans want to make it. At least she not ordering food and if she did you guys would say she wasting her money cant she cook. Leave the girl alone i am sure our moms one time or another have us on their hips while preparing food for us our siblings or our fathers. The stove is turn down . Nice picture Kourt. enjoy ur baby and next time Kim be careful of what you put up cause people are quick to judge they are just like you and me and make mistakes *Remember when Michael Jackson dangled Blanket over the balcony*deuces ppl

Kells

Posted at 9:14 PM on August 27, 2012

I don’t like the Kardashians, but geez, people need to relax. We are living in a society where we have this belief that everything we do is supposed to be “safe”. Impossible! Life is full of danger. Stop criticizing everyone for every little thing!!!

Dee Cee

Posted at 9:27 PM on August 27, 2012

That’s correct when it isn’t a easy way to burn and take chances.. which would greatly injure and harm an innocent baby.. Never cook with a baby near hot greasy skillet or appliance while preparing food.. I hope she has a crib or nanny she can turn to to when she has to prepare food.. like most normal mothers do..

Katie

Posted at 7:08 PM on August 28, 2012

Because most mothers have a nanny to give their child to when they cook? Or because most mothers only cook when their baby is peacefully asleep? Because I for one had neither luxury. Your family has to eat whether your baby is napping or not. With a 2 month old, who can not entertain themselves, her options will be, 1. put the baby safely in a sling so that she can cook for her family with 2 hands, 2. force her family (including 2 year old Mason) to only eat during times when the infant is sleeping, or 3. let the baby scream her head off lying alone in her crib. I’m going to say most mothers would put their child safely in a sling in order to keep the baby calm while also attending to the needs of her family.

Anon

Posted at 8:54 PM on August 27, 2012

Omg! Just proves the kardashians are twats,shes not even using the sling right!!

Heaven

Posted at 8:19 PM on August 27, 2012

Common sense people.. if whatever is cooking in that frying pan splashes it would hit her son…. Totally off subject though…. If you zoom into the pic theres a mailed parcel on her counter… Easy way to get her addy. LOL

Stupid ppl...

Posted at 8:25 PM on August 27, 2012

Son? Mason isnt in there. Thats her baby girl. Lol.

Anita

Posted at 7:55 PM on August 27, 2012

Oh please!!! this is this womans second child, she knows what the hell she is doing, the baby is fine, people and the blogs find any little thing to complain about, you would think she put the baby carrier on top the stove, dont you think she knows what she is doing? you people really need to find news.