‘Pretty Little Liars': Who Killed Maya? Bianca Lawson Weighs In

Fri, August 24, 2012 1:16pm EDT by 42 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family (2)

Bianca gives HollywoodLife.com the scoop on her character’s killer, her thoughts on Emily & Paige, and the one Maya video we haven’t seen — yet!

Emayans will finally get some justice when Maya’s killer is revealed on the Aug. 28 summer finale of Pretty Little Liars, so I decided to bust out my Ouija board and have a little chat with the dearly departed herself. Even though Bianca Lawson said she’s being kept in the dark just as much as we are, she was able to shed some light on a few of Rosewood’s most closely guarded secrets.

And here’s some more good news: We haven’t seen the last of her!

Read on for my full interview with Bianca:

The last time we talked, Maya was alive — and now she’s not. I feel like a lot of your TV characters die, or in some cases, start off already dead.

I know, right? It’s really weird. I wonder what that means. … Maybe I’m working something out from a past life.

But even when your characters die, they’re still very much a part of the story.

Yes, my memory stays alive!

What was your reaction when you first found out Maya was going to die?

I wasn’t exactly told. I didn’t get the ‘this is your fate’ phone call, so even I was like, ‘Oh, maybe she’s dead.’ There were rumors going around that someone was going to die, but there wasn’t an official call.

I know you can’t tell me who killed her, but … actually, do YOU even know?

Well… I shot everything, even the surveillance footage, in one little afternoon. So I got my sections of the script, and I remember reading something about someone being accused of killing Maya. I said to somebody on set, ‘Oh, so this is who killed Maya?’ And their response was, ‘As of right now…’ So I don’t actually know, but people ask me all the time, and I’m just like, ‘Dude, I don’t know.’ I’ll literally go into auditions for parts, and after I do my audition for big-time execs, they’ll say, ‘One more thing: Are you really dead on Pretty Little Liars? … And if you are, who killed you?’

So as of right now, you think you know who killed Maya. What was your reaction when you learned who that was?

Honestly, I was pretty shocked. The whole finale is shocking.

Well, I love the little videos Maya recorded for Emily. What was it like shooting those?

I knew I put these things on a website to document my life, but I never shot a death scene. Shooting the videos was really sweet. It was intimate and fun. I wasn’t acting with anyone else, I was just doing little vlogs, so it was nice. I had one of the writers there with me to figure out what I should be conveying, and what Maya was referring to. The writer knew what was coming up in a few episodes, but I didn’t know.

Did you film anything we haven’t seen yet?

I think there’s one more video message that I believe will be on the finale.

Real talk: It didn’t take long after Maya died for Emily to hop back into a relationship with the crazy girl who tried to drown her. How do you feel about Emily and Paige dating?

Well, Emily’s life does have to go on. She does have to find love and all of that. I don’t know too much about Paige, but I want Emily to be happy. So she should be with whoever makes her happy.

OK, time to drop me a comment with YOUR opinions: How do you really feel about Emily dating Paige? And just for the sake of being crazy, do you think it’s possible Maya is still alive?

— Andy Swift

More Pretty Little Liars:

1. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Video: Jenna Comes Between Hanna & Caleb
  2. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Casts Larisa Oleynik As Ezra’s Baby Mama
  3. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: The Girls Witness Maya’s Kidnapping

Bette

Posted at 10:56 PM on August 28, 2012

I think it’s Paige who is really part of the A-Team!

chloe

Posted at 6:48 AM on August 24, 2013

agree

alicia

Posted at 9:29 PM on August 28, 2012

i think toby’s a bastard for being part of -A . he is extremely sexy and now that he is -A i want to die.

Jay

Posted at 9:30 PM on August 28, 2012

Welcome to the Emayan dilemma >_< Since when did ABC FAMILY turn into such a dark & twisted channel?

Sky

Posted at 12:46 AM on August 28, 2012

Well Actually, The Cureent Leader Of The A-Team Is The REAL Alison … The “Alison” They Found Dead and Was Friends With was Actuall The Mentally Ill Twin COURTNEY, Hence, The B**** Attitude. IThink Paige Is Part Of The A-Team Since She Had a Rivalry With Courtney &&Was Stalker Status With Emily. &&iDo Think She Killed Maya Too…

lara

Posted at 10:03 AM on August 29, 2012

courtney doesnt exsist. they arnt basing the show on the books. shes in the books but she isnt in the show.

Courtney

Posted at 10:10 PM on August 26, 2012

Im just happy we got to see maya in the videos and how she was talked about. At least we get to finally learn who killed her. I still really miss her. Pretty little liars will NEVER be the same to me.

bianca

Posted at 12:24 AM on August 26, 2012

A is never going to be revealed and that the biggest betrayal

Bailey

Posted at 11:51 PM on August 25, 2012

I think Paige killed her so paige could be with Emily I think Paige is on the A team but I don’t think she’s the big leadr

Ashley

Posted at 9:43 PM on August 25, 2012

Oh, and I do miss Maya alot on the show! BUT at least she is now on my favorite show Teen Wolf :)

Ashley

Posted at 9:43 PM on August 25, 2012

I think that Nate is not Maya’s cousin. He is just the stalker guy and I think he killed Maya. When Jenna told her to watch out, I’m pretty sure it was about Nate not Paige because Jennas attitude changed towards Nate and she was mean to him so there is a reason for that. There has to be. Oh, and I think Wren has to do with something too for some reason. Like I think he is going to end up dead from trying to help Hanna or he is going to be found helping the A Team in someway. He is just a suspicious one to me directly. Paige, I think just has problems.

Lhuz

Posted at 2:38 PM on August 25, 2012

Im sad that Maya was dead. But the fact that she wasnt told bout that, is not good i think. I mean, you’re part of the show so you should be atleast advised that your character will be dead. But, it happened tho. And i miss maya so much, as much as i want her back on pll, i know thats impossible now. And Paige, she so creepy, i think too that she killed Maya or if she’s not, maybe its Nate. Im worried bout emily, she’s really not in good hands.. Cant wait for next week.. :))

Helion

Posted at 3:37 AM on August 25, 2012

Angry Emaya shippers amuse me! I will bet money that its not Paige… but they want you to think it is!

k

Posted at 10:30 AM on August 25, 2012

Yeah but Paige is annoying nut job who use to bully her and has anger issues. So even if she did not kill Maya I still don’t like he with Paige. I honestly think that stalker Nate did it and he is not really Maya’s cousin.

Stephanie

Posted at 1:15 AM on August 25, 2012

It’s definitely Paige!!!! I mean come on, she’s like Emily before her and Maya were dating. She’s jealous and killed Maya so she could have Emily all to herself! And plus, she lied to Emily about that night she went to the burial of Alison!! She had the earring in her purse from the burial site!!! She’s creepy!! Ughh its definitely Paige who killed Maya.

Clueless

Posted at 8:49 PM on August 24, 2012

I feel Emily dating Paige is just WRONG and we shouldn’t have to watch that lol there no chemistry there at all. Paige/LS might not be able to play a Lesbian but she’s plays tha psycho role to well. No I don’t think Maya is alive but I wish she was because no Maya or Emaya no pll for me.

Seriously

Posted at 5:55 AM on August 27, 2012

I love how your username suits you so perfectly.

Rio

Posted at 6:52 AM on June 2, 2013

Trues up clueless

Destiny

Posted at 6:20 PM on August 24, 2012

I feel Emily is definitely dating Maya’s killer Paige is super crazy I mean you see how Jenna was warning her about “her friend” not sure if she was talking about Paige or maya’s cousin but most certain it’s Paige

Alex

Posted at 5:55 PM on August 24, 2012

How do i feel abt Emaily dating paige? they don’t FIT, they dont click, the chemistry is non existent, i would rather Emily find someone new or turn bi/straight. as for the second Q… i want / need Maya to be alive and well but i don’t think she is. i was but Shay’s latest interview was a wake up call…

find you true love here

Posted at 4:58 PM on August 24, 2012

Da’te wealthy and fabulous sin’gles at a great dat’ing sit’e called BillionaireFriends

Kwanlee Kim

Posted at 4:57 PM on August 24, 2012

I think that Maya is still alive, and that Emily & Maya have the best chemistry on TV period. Emily & Maya are true Soul-Mates who belong together.

The lack of chemistry between Emily and Paige is so obvious, Emily does all of the kissing scenes while Paige just stands there like an idiot, because everyone knows that Paige cannot play a Lesbian to save her life.

Jay

Posted at 4:49 PM on August 24, 2012

You know, for all of the unfairness that was shown, not only her character, but her as well, Bianca Lawson is one CLASSY lady! She handles everything so well; and even just reading her responses in an interview, you just feel what an awesome presence she possesses. Some of those other Hollywood, over-the-top actresses should take a few notes from her ;)

And you know what? I still say EMAYA forever! Nothing will ever replace that beautiful love story. So, I won’t even bother watching anymore.

Una Tone Bjarnardóttir

Posted at 4:47 PM on August 24, 2012

I never like it Page

emayan

Posted at 4:43 PM on August 24, 2012

Emily and Maya had the best chemistry I have ever seen within a couple, ever. It saddens me she was killed off, but we must move on. Paige makes Emily happy, but I dislike her for more than 1 reason. I think someone new would be better for Emily. BUT EMAYA FOREVER SO…

Emayan Fan

Posted at 4:16 PM on August 24, 2012

I can accept that the Maya character is dead to PLL but the chemistry between Shay and Bianca was the most credible thus far. I would rather have Emily meet and fall in love with a whole new woman over Paige. Preferrably someone equally sexy to Bianca Lawson.

thesoundsfan#1

Posted at 4:07 PM on August 24, 2012

I hate paige and emily together. mainly because i don’t like paige and i think emily deserves better than her like i know this sounds weird but she should be with toby. and no i don’t think maya is still alive

Numbnuts

Posted at 3:16 PM on August 24, 2012

I wonder if Emily and Maya ever did a sex video. With black high heels on.

Kris

Posted at 3:04 PM on August 24, 2012

Maya is alive. I want her back alive.

chloe

Posted at 6:56 AM on August 24, 2013

i agree with and i want the same thing

Heather Hanna

Posted at 1:52 PM on August 24, 2012

My views on Emily dating Paige..I do not like it. At this point I do not believe Emily should be dating not that she shouldn’t move on with her life, but she has not had full closure with Maya, but she does not even know who killed her. Also Paige tried to drown Emily I believe in second chances but she tried to drown her and have her permanently removed from the swim team..that is NOT tough love that is just good ole fashioned crazy! As far as Maya being alive well crazier things have happened but I do not think we know enough to make an assumption. The writers are obviously trying to make her a complex character in her alleged ‘death’ with all the secrets but there is far more than meets the eye. I think that Maya SHOULD be alive and have just a kick-ass storyline like finding out who allegedly ‘killed’ Alison and etc… Plus Bianca Lawson is someone that if that opportunity arises to have her as a part of your cast you take it! I could comment all night so I’ll leave you with this!

juviguevara

Posted at 12:24 AM on August 27, 2012

Truth! That’s exactly what so many Emayans have been trying to see since the S2 finale. Well said!

Kiki

Posted at 1:42 PM on August 24, 2012

Em did move on too fast tbh. We saw her get really emotional just once but Paige had to come in & ruin that. But I LOVE Bianca I wished Maya wasn’t killed >.> & I really hope Paige & Emily aren’t forever. & no it’s not because I’m just an “emayan” i just think Paige & Em is not a good look. I don’t feel anything. I want Em with someone else. IMO