‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EDT by 1,807 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita's attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane's mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

kaila

Posted at 6:05 AM on June 26, 2013

episode 2. jane and billy’s big moment because i have just been waiting for them to tell eachother that they love eachother but i mean like really now its finished its just like other shows that i love they just had to cancle it they allways cancle the best shows who else agree’s? omg and i cant just not stand not being able to watch new episodes ABC you really let me down

Evelyn

Posted at 2:40 AM on June 26, 2013

Just finished watching season 1 on netflix and I just found out this show is cancelled! I can’t believe this ABC, you can do better than that. I don’t understand why every show had to be about sex, drugs and lies!!! Please bring it back! For the record my husband loved it too!

darian

Posted at 1:46 AM on June 26, 2013

wow.. time and time again ABC cancels all the amazing shows but this one is the worst of all… i loves this series and was always pleased with every episode the last one left me on the edge of my seat.! I was so excited for the next season but wait … there isn’t gonna be one ! ABC has let me down .

Jordyn Johnson

Posted at 8:59 PM on June 25, 2013

I hate that they canceled the show. They left it at a cliff hanger and i loved the show. It was my favorite show and i am so mad they took it off , it sucks.

Khacie clark

Posted at 3:35 PM on June 25, 2013

I hate that they cancled the show because it was one of my favorite shows to watch and i realy wanted to see Billy and Jane finaly admit to eachother that they had feelings for eachother. this realy sucks. I loved that show

kaila

Posted at 6:06 AM on June 26, 2013

ikr thats what i said

lola

Posted at 11:57 AM on June 25, 2013

It sucks that they’d rather have bunheads , pretty little liars, switched at birth rather then Jane by design. But since Jane by design was cancelled and secret life of an American teenager they put twisted and the fosters in abc family. Lots of people liked Jane by design but all they cared was pretty little liar and the lying game.

Ronald Simon

Posted at 12:19 PM on June 25, 2013

sorry but they haven’t trnewed Bunheads yet and I am not sure if they are going th bring back bunheads. But I love the show jane by design and i love bunheads. What I am upset with they brought back babies daddy the dumpest and not funny show. But ABC has enough free space because i see alot of encore shows. That means they have spare air time. There is no reason for them to take bunheads and jane by design off the air. ABC Family also has ABC family on demand.

Marli

Posted at 8:40 AM on June 25, 2013

I really would’ve wanted to see Jane and Billy’s first kiss, how they realized their feelings for one another :) . Rita and Ben’s wedding wou”d’ve been amazing as well … How the two lady’s would’ve competed about their relationships . Actually would’ve loved to see EVERYTHING

kristin

Posted at 3:24 AM on June 25, 2013

The cancelling of the show was devastating and ridiculous! Could another network not pick it up??????? PLEASE!!!
All those story lines would have been perfect!

elizabeth

Posted at 12:45 AM on June 25, 2013

Isn’t there a way to for them to un-cancel the show?
I mean you can’t just tell everybody who wanted to see that kiss b/w Jane & Billy and then leave hanging!
Soooo sad!

Casi

Posted at 7:50 PM on June 24, 2013

I’m really really sad I watched it everyday with my sister
I was really looking forward to season to but now it’s gone

Hayley

Posted at 12:39 AM on June 24, 2013

This was a funny refreshingly honest show that I enjoyed watching with my teenage daughter. It is a shame they cancelled it. There are not a lot of shows out there that show such a sweet hardworking honest teenager with an equally honest and loyal best friend.

Bonnie

Posted at 12:03 AM on June 24, 2013

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO HAVE ABC BRING THE SHOW BACK. ERICA DASHER AND THE REST OF THE CAST WERE GREAT. LOVE LOVE LOVE THE SHOW!!!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED IT WAS CANCELED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kara

Posted at 5:35 PM on June 23, 2013

Heartbroken!!!! It needs to come back. It was an amazing television show; one of my favorites. ABC family really needs to consider. Jane By Design was a fresh new show that the ABC family needed, a show like none of the others.

Faith

Posted at 11:57 AM on June 23, 2013

Whoa??? why was it canceled. ABC obviously needs to check whats inn>> right now, cuz that show needs to get back on the air. Season 1 was left with a cliff hanger. They owe it to their fans to finish the series. Otherwise ABC has a lot to think about when it’ll come to their future in show biz.

Brooke

Posted at 12:36 AM on June 23, 2013

This spoiler for season 2 Jane By Design would have been amazing. It sucks that all we got to see was season 1 which was awesome, I LOVED Jane By Design Just wish we could actually watch it instead of thinking what would of happened in season 2. April you did amazing job with Jane By design sucks we cant see more of it.

Brooke

Posted at 12:40 AM on June 23, 2013

I just don’t understand if so many people liked this show why didn’t it stay on air. Please bring the show back not just for me but for others.

Alexa

Posted at 6:38 PM on June 22, 2013

I am so upset there won’t be a second season I wanted to see Jane & billy kiss and end up as a “thing” so badly. Why won’t there be a second season again?

-Alexa

Ayana

Posted at 5:28 AM on June 22, 2013

Why?!?!? I stayed up until 3 just to finish the whole season of Jane by Design. I actually got attached to this show. Only to find that it has been canceled. JUST PLEASE PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!

Haley

Posted at 1:00 AM on June 22, 2013

I was devastated when Jane by design was cancelled… I had a poster of it in my room for so long just because I liked Janes outfit, then I saw it was on netflix. Once I started watching it I was hooked. I LOVED everything about the show. I didn’t find out it was cancelled until I was almost done with season 1 and went to look up when season 2 was, surprise to me when I found out it was cancelled.

Taylor

Posted at 4:48 PM on June 20, 2013

BRING BACK JANE BY DESIGN!!!! ME AND MY FRIENDS LOVED IT AND WE WERE DEVASTATED WHEN IT WAS CANCELLED!!! WE OBSESSED OVER AND WE WANT IT BACK!!!!! PLEEEAAASE!!! I know a lot of people at my school would want it back too because that’s how we were friends. We gossiped about Jane By Design!!! It may not have gotten good ratings or not enough people watched it, but the people who did watch it LOVED IT!!!! WE WANT IT BACK!!!!

betty

Posted at 4:41 PM on June 20, 2013

best show ever! if they can bring back arrested development, they can bring JBD back!!! sending a note to ABC right now.

Takia

Posted at 3:32 AM on June 20, 2013

I absolutely LOVE this show, and I am very disappointed its cancelled. I’ve been watching non stop on Netflix for the past 2 days. But instead of complaining on websites like these, we should annoy the hell out of ABC. I mean non stop e-mails, tweets, and even facebook messages. If we make enough noise they will bring it back.

Maddie

Posted at 11:24 PM on June 19, 2013

Is there any chance that the show could possibly be picked up again. I absolutely loved it and was crushed when i found out it was cancelled. I really wish it was still on. It was my favorite show. ❤📺😔😒😞😣😢😭😪😩😫😠😡😤😖😟#bringbackjanebydesign

Dot

Posted at 7:05 AM on June 19, 2013

Heart breaking! I got hooked on Netflix :(

Bean

Posted at 11:58 PM on June 17, 2013

I just watch the entire first season on Netflix – obsessed!! I’m crushed to hear the show was cancelled. It was a great storyline, good acting and cute boys! Tear.

Jahdyn

Posted at 9:34 PM on June 17, 2013

BRING THE SHOW BACK!!!! It’s amazing and I know ALOT of other people who love it to

samantha perez

Posted at 3:45 AM on June 19, 2013

i started watching like 2 days ago when i found it on netflix i fell in love with it its amazing im obssed with that show whatched the whole season in less than 2 days . bring it back please