‘Jane By Design’ Creator: What Fans Would Have Seen In Season 2

Tue, August 21, 2012 12:48pm EDT by 1,792 Comments
Jane By Design Season 2
Courtesy of ABC Family (3)

Creator April Blair reveals what she had planned for Jane & Billy’s first kiss, Ben & Rita’s race to the altar, and more.

Jane By Design fans were crushed last week when ABC Family announced the show wouldn’t be returning for a second season — I coped with carbs —  but fortunately, creator April Blair was more than happy to give HollywoodLife.com an exclusive breakdown of what we would have seen in season two. And trust me, it would have been awesome.

1. Eli to the rescue: Curious how Jane (Erica Dasher) was going to explain to Gray (Andie MacDowell) and Eli (Bryan Dechart) why she was backstage at a high-school play? “Our idea was that Eli was going to cover for her,” April says. “There were moments in episode 18 where he looked at the costumes crookedly, and throughout the play he pieced it together.”

2. Jane & Billy’s big moment: It sounds like Jane and Billy’s (Nick Roux) shippers would have been very happy with the show’s second season. “For two [finales], we really pulled the rug out from under people,” April admits. “But [in the second season], we wanted to give people that kiss, the moment they both acknowledge they have feelings for each other. We were really excited to do that, and give that to the fans.”

3. Wedding bells for Ben & Rita: April says there was a lot of discussion about Ben’s (David Clayton Rogers) future with Rita (Smith Cho), now that he decided to stay in town: “Do they get engaged? Will Rita become a bit of a bridezilla, obsessed with planning her wedding? We definitely wanted to have Ben propose next season.”

4. Jeremy & India: Things between Jeremy (Rowly Dennis) and India (India de Beaufort) would only become more complicated in season two. “Jeremy would come back and start his own independent label, becoming a competitor for Donovan Decker,” April reveals. “His romance with India would grow, and they would become more serious — but at the same time, they would become professional rivals.”

5. Amanda, please: Amanda Clark (Briga Heelan) may not have found love with Ben, but April says there would definitely have been romance in her future. “We were thinking of maybe having Amanda begin dating Todd [the other teacher originally vying for Rita's attention], and it would become a competitive couple thing. When you’re engaged or dating, you always have a friend that tries to one-up you. So we’d keep Amanda and Rita’s competition alive, but it would be less about Ben, and more about the rivalry between the two women.”

6. Mom’s back: “We were hoping to have [Jane's mom] make a reappearance,” April says. Teri Hatcher was contracted to direct an episode of season two, but actually having her appear as Kate in front of the camera “would really be subject to Teri’s availability.”

How do you feel about Jane ending before its time was really up? Which of these potential story lines would you have loved to see? Drop me a comment with your thoughts! (We can get through this together.)

— Andy Swift

More Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed

JAN

Posted at 8:31 PM on December 31, 2012

WOW, BAD SPELLING, iM USED TO SPELL CHECK COLD, SHOULD BE COULD ,WIRED, SHOULD BE WEIRD THE REST OF BAD SPELLING CAN BE FIGURED OUT. (MY FIRST POST EVER, BUT NEEDED TO SAY SOMETHING, MY WHLE FAMILY WILL BE DISSAPOINTED.

JAN

Posted at 8:27 PM on December 31, 2012

FINAALY A SHOW i COLD WATCH WITH MY 9 YEAR OLD GRANDAUGHTER OR WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY WHY DO EXECS JUST SUPPOSRT WIRED SHOWS LIKE PRETTY LITTLE LIARS, HAVE BEEN WQATCHING FOR THE START OF THE 2ND SEASON CANT ANYTHING BE DONE TO HAVE A WAVE OF SUPPOSRT TO THE SHOWS “PEOPLE”

Valentina

Posted at 1:15 PM on December 31, 2012

What!! This is not fair, the best show was just getting revealed..what happened,hope u reconsider the viewers,;-(

Nasrin

Posted at 12:47 PM on December 31, 2012

UGH I’M SO MAD !!!! I fell in love with this show, why would they cancel one of the most viewed and best shows on abcfamily and keep the CRAPPY shows that no one watches like bunheads and switched at birth . Ughhhh why would they leave us hanging like that, I HATE THIS . BRING IT BACK !!!!!!

deshanique

Posted at 6:48 AM on December 31, 2012

they really should of kept it other then some of the lame show that they did keep

Kkrose

Posted at 1:40 AM on December 31, 2012

I freaking love Jane by design I am so sad it ended I just got hooked season 2 season2 season2

A sad fan

Posted at 10:44 PM on December 30, 2012

No more of those gggoooorrrgeoussss outfits that everyone, especially Jane, wore. Soo sad. I loved watching this show for great fashion ideas. And I really hoped that Jane and Eli would get together eventhough she and Billy are soulmates. But whatevs its not like the network cares about what their viewers want anyway.

ashley

Posted at 10:38 PM on December 30, 2012

Why isn’t the show returning? That totally sucks you know what!! And I would’ve loved to see all of the story line endings. Ugh! Its such a bummer that the show isn’t coming back.!!! I totally fell in love with this show… its funny though, I have a best friend just like Billy, his name is Daniel but the difference is we’ve never liked each other. We have the friendship just like Jane&Billy’s. Tell each other everything, sleep overs, and that’s one of the reasons I fell in love with the show, reminded me of my friendship with Daniel. Ughhhh!!!!! Is the show really NEVER coming back?? Heart break D;
It was such a great show! Bring it back…!!!

angrybird

Posted at 6:21 PM on December 30, 2012

not fair…………….finally a good show came and it got cancelled

Tajee

Posted at 4:13 PM on December 30, 2012

Why did they cancel it I love this show… can’t they at least make a ending movie. Erica Dasher is such a role model to me and this show helped me realize my love for fashion. Millions of girls loved this show. Fashion, romance, laughs, tears drama everything you could want why couldn’t it stay on I was so looking forward to the next season.

We miss you Jane by design

erjc

Posted at 3:55 PM on December 30, 2012

I totally. Loved the. It reminded me of my relationship with my husband. We had been best friends since time began. When we realized we were in love with each other, we were and still are inseparable! I wish a second season would be reconsidered.

Rebecca

Posted at 12:41 PM on December 30, 2012

Why did they cancel it?! It was a really good show.

Kristina

Posted at 11:22 AM on December 30, 2012

It’s so sad that this show is over.
When I watched it I was really expecting to see that kiss between Billy and Jane. After the last episode, when Billy confessed to Jane that it’s serious between him and Zoe, I was hoping that she would start dating Eli, because she would think that Billy thinks of her just as a friend. But as the episodes would go the tention between Billy and Jane would grow (cause they are in love, but they are too scared to confess to each other because they don’t want to compromise their friendship), the jealousy would be even greater. And one day, they start to argue and it gets really out of control, they no longer thnk what they’re saying, and it just slips out [their feelings] (It would’ve been awesome if Jane would confess and she has to catch a plainearly in the morning cause of her boss…) and you all know what happens next ;D
I really hoped for season 2. I hope that one day we will see it :D

Agnes Greene (@shamookies)

Posted at 8:31 AM on December 30, 2012

i hope they change their minds :)

rosie andrews

Posted at 5:06 AM on December 30, 2012

why would the cancel this great show?1 i think jane by design was on its way to the top and by canceling it the ruined its possible triumph!

kayla durazo

Posted at 4:40 AM on December 30, 2012

I’m very angry for the way the ended the show. It wasn’t a proper ending,, there were too many things unsolved. I’m VERY dissappointed that the show was cancelled!!!!

Leanne

Posted at 1:01 AM on December 30, 2012

Now this sucks big this show is gettin big so big that people that miss it go to online site’s to play catch up to make up with lost time 0) I am a big fan and I know how busy my day is so I make sure to hit the web sites that carry this show of Jane By Design and get all the goodies in before hittin back to the real world.
U have no idea how many young to older fans there is for this show and are now crushed to find out no more show for us women who wait and love to work our days to the show’s big day on our tv’s or laptops.
I hope things turn around and let this show come back I have read all this was going to happen in season 2 man now I feel like I have read a good book and now its been ripped from me Yeah something else to bummed about joy.
If this helps any I so would sign anything to have the show back up and running and I know many more who would be in line faster then you can say boo…..signed Hard working mamma

marie

Posted at 11:36 PM on December 29, 2012

So Sad!! I just found this show on HULU and Fell in Love with it!! Then I went to see when the next season started up… what a disappointment that there will be no season 2…
Season 1 was AMAZING!!!!!

AE

Posted at 11:34 PM on December 29, 2012

The show was very entertaining and I am disappointed it was cancelled. I wanted to let the Jane by Design team that they put on an incredible season 1. Thank you for your hard work! I have no doubt new and great things will continue to come.

Glory

Posted at 4:42 PM on December 29, 2012

I hate HATE HATE that te show was cancelled ! I love it !! T.T
And i loved the story !

Chancie

Posted at 2:57 PM on December 29, 2012

Very disappointed the show was cancelled. I enjoyed my weekly sit downs watching it and will miss it:(

Unknown

Posted at 2:14 AM on December 29, 2012

Outraged. Completely. This was THE show. My favorite show of all time. It seriously needs to come back! PLEASE! So, so many people I’m sure are disappointed by this . . . April Blair’s new ideas were terrific. RECONSIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liliana Luna

Posted at 12:27 AM on December 29, 2012

I think that’s stupid how this show is cancelled I was really looking forward to watching the second season please!! Please !! Can you pout the show back on & I really wanted to see Jane and billy be together but there’s not a second season so my life is over now!!!!!!

NA

Posted at 10:56 PM on December 28, 2012

This was a really good show! I hate how they ended the last episode a cliffhanger and the cancled the show!! What is wrong with these people? I also would definitely not want Billy and Jane to date.
I like Billy and Zoe. They make a very cute couple,

None your

Posted at 8:01 PM on December 28, 2012

I hate when those network get people hook on a show and they suddenly decide to cancel it with no closure. Come on people this bs needs to stop. They need to closure the show fully. This is why I hate watching television shows.