‘Jane By Design’ Canceled By ABC Family

Fri, August 17, 2012 4:10pm EDT by 1,058 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

‘Jane By Design’ won’t return for a second season, ABC Family confirms.

It’s with much sadness that I report ABC Family has decided not to renew Jane By Design. The decision was announced Aug. 17, on the heels of several other series — BunheadsMelissa & JoeyBaby Daddy and Switched at Birth — receiving new season and back-order pickups.

The show’s first season ended with Jane (Erica Dasher) finally getting caught by boss Gray (Andie MacDowell) for being in high school, after spending the series posing as her adult assistant. She had also finally acknowledged her feelings for best-friend Billy (Nick Roux).

Several of the shows stars thanked fans for their support over Twitter:

“Thank you so much for everything!!!” Jane herself, Erica, tweeted. “It was incredible and you all are the best part of that experience. Love love love”

Rowly Dennis, who played hot-shot British design Jeremy, tweeted: “Sorry guys, no more Jane By Design.”

Bryan Dechart, who played Gray’s nephew Eli, tweeted: “You guys are incredible and we truly appreciate your support. Eli’s gone, I’m not. :-)”

Are you bummed about the end of Jane By Design? Vote below, then drop me a comment with your strongest reactions, fondest memories, and most effective coping mechanisms.

— Andy Swift

More on Jane By Design:

1. ‘Jane By Design’ Season 2: A New Guy For Jane & More I Want To See
  2. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Jane’s Secret Is Finally Exposed
  3. ‘Jane By Design’ Summer Finale: Billy’s Decision & 5 More Spoilers

Kim

Posted at 10:08 PM on April 14, 2013

You can’t end the show like that! They put less than standard shows on. Jane BD was a movie that the whole family could watch and not have to worry. ABC PLEASE bring my show back!!!!!

Sabrina

Posted at 8:44 PM on April 13, 2013

SERIOUSLY!!! YOU CANT END THE SHOW THAT WAY! AT LEAST COME BACK ON FOR LIKE A 2 HOUR MOVIE THING OR SOMETHING!!! PLEASE!!

Kay

Posted at 6:17 PM on April 11, 2013

Kay

Posted at 5:57 PM on April 11, 2013

They shouldn’t have cancelled this show! The shows they replaced it with are either way too dramatic or something I haven’t even heard of!! Bad decision ABC bad!!!!

Cindy

Posted at 9:12 PM on April 10, 2013

i love this show and it could not just end like that i mean what happens next for Jane does billy ever find out jane’s feelings does gray find the truth about Jane….. After PLL bunheads and all those other shows Jane by design should must come on it’s to good of a show to go to waste (:

Simone Baker

Posted at 2:30 PM on April 9, 2013

That’s a shame ABC cancelled Jane by Design!!!! It was funny and thrilling to see all the actions and that reflected a the Dreams of Millions of girls I belive (and some boys too!). It was flirty and even innocent. Realy good show in a world that just cares about lies, monsters and nonsense. :-( TOO BAD ABC, TOO BAD!!! P.S.: I’m 43 Yo

Chuck

Posted at 12:32 AM on April 9, 2013

ABC in general has a habit of making poor decisions. This is right up there with the label that didn’t sign the Beatles

Sheree

Posted at 6:05 PM on April 8, 2013

Just a thought, fans should post on the Jane By Design facebook because I feel like nobody reads these here… And if any writers of JBD is reading this, ya need season 2!!

Kaylin

Posted at 5:35 PM on April 8, 2013

Ok this is stupid they can’t cancel these kinds of shows mean everything to me uggg this makes me mad ….

ana

Posted at 8:29 PM on April 7, 2013

sucks they cancelled this show, it’s a really good show compare to other lame show they replace it with, love every minute of it, always looking forward to what’s next and my kids love it too, it’s a family show because there’s no violent and no explicit sex, so please bring this back on!!!

Simone

Posted at 2:33 PM on April 9, 2013

I tottaly agree with you! I’m 43 and I love the ease of mind not to have to turn off because my kid show up in the living room.

Marissa

Posted at 3:48 PM on April 6, 2013

This show needs to be renewed!!!! I finished watching the first season and it was amazing there was never a boring episode
The characters were all different but interesting
At the end of the season this show became my favourite show :(
OMG PLEASE RENEW THIS SHOW!!
It doesn’t even matter that they revealed the second season cause we don’t know when it happens or how it happen and so much in between

Sheree

Posted at 1:56 AM on April 6, 2013

They definitely should put this back on, besides the fact that they pretty much leaked the whole second season, but they can work with that! Being a fashion student, it was great seeing the designers guest star and Amy Astley! There’s so much potential….

Leah

Posted at 12:03 AM on April 5, 2013

OMG my daughter and I have been waiting for this show to come back on and I just finally found out that the show will not return. How are you going to start a show and not finish. For one Beverly Hills nannies can go, who cares about that, so can dancing fool. I think they should bring back JANE BY DESIGN, that was a really great show.

...........

Posted at 11:34 AM on April 4, 2013

no lo entiendo pero bueno el final perfecto para mi seria que billi se quedara con zoe y que a jane le descubrieran el secreto y se enteraran de que va al instituto y por esas razon ella y eli se perdonan y se quedan juntos pero en serio no se porque a b c family ha tenido que cancelar esta serie era buenisima

ELIZABETH

Posted at 10:00 AM on April 4, 2013

I LOVED THIS SHOW A LOT RECONSIDER

Crystal

Posted at 2:44 PM on April 3, 2013

I did not know about this show until recently, but when I began watching this I could not stop! When I finished season one and looked for season 2 only to find it had been canceled was completely and utterly disappointing. This was one of the few good shows on television and true, I usually watch reality crime television and have never been a fan of ABC Family but wow this was the topper. How do you begin a show of this magnitude and not finish, I am sure if I feel this way so do thousands of other fans. With the tons of overly played shows such as Reba, ABC could have kept a newer and never seen before and done away with the old, sorry.

Rose A. Fulmer

Posted at 2:02 AM on April 3, 2013

As a very busy mother of four and also sometimes bed ridden because of a few disorders I have. But rarely was able to find something I could record and watch later. I adored it.I am so upset, I think I will stop watching ABC FAMILY.

Denita

Posted at 5:25 PM on April 2, 2013

Not cool to cancel Jane By Design. Just not cool. :C

aja c

Posted at 3:29 PM on April 2, 2013

okay yeah i understand abc family has alot of shows but couldnt they have made one more season that is the worst cliff hanger you could ever do to the fans and if you look at the polls above people really liked that show…. and you could even have the common curtisty to tell the audiance that the show was cancelled :( i was looking forward to that show all year that was the only show i really kept whatching….

Amber

Posted at 10:06 PM on April 1, 2013

Bunheads actors were not too good. I watched the first season and never started the second. Jane by design is more relatable to highschool students than bunheads anyway. What 40 year old acts 25 for a show is a stripper marrys a guy that goes to the bar she dances for and then has him die.. Pretty sure not too many teenager can relate, whereas Jane went through different highschool experiences that other highschoolers go through too such as boys, homework, work, parents, and whatnot. They may not be all the same experiences as other but much closer than Bunheads..

Alexis

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 31, 2013

Ive known that Jane by Design has been cancled for a while now & im STILL in shock! I dont understand why that keep making tv shows & just decide to cancle them ! All of the cast members but alot of time & hard work into making the show just to disapoint the fans because they wont make a season 2 :( !!! ABC Family ended on of the best shows they had. In my oppinion Pretty Little Liers is a STUPID show & i would rather have Jane by Dsign back :( <3!

amanda

Posted at 11:38 PM on March 31, 2013

i really want jane to come back. i really loved that show and they just cant leave a cliffhanger like that and not continue the show. i really, really want jane to come back on. PLEASE COME BACK!!!!!

andrea

Posted at 12:19 AM on March 31, 2013

I really wish that Jane by design would come back on and I just found out that it canceled I hate that they left me in suspence thinking that it would come back on I was really bummed when I found out this news

vilma

Posted at 8:15 AM on March 30, 2013

I WANT JANE BY DESIGN BACK:(((((((((((((((((((((

Amanda

Posted at 4:13 PM on March 28, 2013

:( I can’t believe they canceled it!! Especially before Jane and Billy got together!! I loved this show!! It was one of the last few good shows on TV anymore. Just goes to show that people are dumb and have no taste. So disappointed. I hope, even though I’m sure it won’t happen, that it will be back.