‘Vampire Diaries': Damon Finally Gets His Edge Back In Season 4

Wed, August 15, 2012 4:21pm EST by 73 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Damon regains the ‘devil-may-care attitude’ he had in season one, reveals executive producer Julie Plec — and I can’t wait!

Fans of The Vampire Diaries originally fell in love with Damon (Ian Somerhalder) as the smarmy, unpredictable alternative to Paul Wesley‘s noble Stefan — and that’s exactly what he’ll be like when the show returns for its fourth season. “This year, Damon is the Damon of season one,” executive producer Julie Plec tells TVLine. “He’s got attitude. He’s always right. … This year is going to be very much about … ‘You don’t like who I am, how I do things? Well screw you.'”

Oh, how I’ve missed that Damon.

“He’s still going to be the Damon we know and love — he’s still going to be kicking ass and taking names — but he just has this devil-may-care attitude about it,” Julie continues. “He’s just not going to change for anybody anymore. He did that. That’s over. That’s so last year.”

Speaking of last year, let’s be real: The third season was an awkward one for the Salvatores. While Stefan let his dark side take over as Klaus’ personal ripper, Damon let himself get soft in an attempt to win over Elena (Nina Dobrev). While I enjoyed discovering the brothers’ multiple dimensions, I have to admit I’m thrilled both Stefan and Damon are returning to their roots.

It’s not that I crave predictability, but rather dependability. Every fan has his or her favorite Salvatore, and it’s difficult when one of them suddenly does a 180 and becomes a different person. I’m hoping season four gives us more of the Salvatores we’ve come to love — reckless, impulsive Damon and noble, protective Stefan.

Besides, with Elena becoming a vampire, I’m pretty sure Mystic Falls won’t be able to handle any more changes.

Are you excited for Damon’s return to his roots, or did you prefer the emotional Damon we got in season three? Drop me a comment with your wishes for the new season!

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries season 4 scoop:

1. ‘Secret Circle’ Star Phoebe Tonkin Joins ‘The Vampire Diaries’
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Scoop: Will Stefan Reject Elena In Season 4?
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 4: Damon Won’t Take Elena Back Easily

Manders1991

Posted at 3:52 PM on October 1, 2012

Why does everyone want Elena and Damon together? hes not not right for her. Besides the fact,it would ultimately kill Stefan, and I love that about Stefan. He’s so sensitive, even in his darkest days when all of his humanity is lost, he still seems to feel his emotions. You can really sense a deep connection between Stefan and Elena, they are just meant for each other. I feel like Damon would be better off with Katherine, they are both alike in the charming villain sort of way. I also feel that even though Elena met Damon first, it wasn’t like he left a big impact on her, I mean there was a little chit chat and then Damon compelled her and left. I think the fact is that Stefan will always be the one she chooses, she loves him and no matter what she feels for Damon, she will always love Stefan. Elena’s feelings for Damon are not nearly as strong as they are for Stefan, I think Stefan went through hell and back and still came out loving Elena no matter how compelled or how much humanity was lost.The truth is right in front of every ones eyes, Elena would have chose Damon when she had the chance, when she figures out that they met first, I don’t think it will change much of anything.

Thriller75Hina

Posted at 5:34 AM on September 30, 2012

@Carla I understand what you’re trying to say. But SE is not gonna survive much longer in the series. Elena chose Stefan over Damon, yes. But if you dig deep down, the reason was that ‘Stefan’ was there when her parents died, when she needed someone to give her safety and security, and to help her live again. He gave her that, got her back on her feet and made her feel ‘glad’ that shes alive again. Obviously, thats one reason Damon doesnt have. So Elena went with that reason, and chose Stefan. I wrote this before, “Maybe if you and I had met first” implies that if ‘Damon’ was there when her parents died, when she needed someone to give her safety and security, and to help her live again rather than Stefan, then no wonder she wouldve chosen him. Furthur implying, thats the reason why shes choosing Stefan ‘FOR NOW’. Implying furthur more, thats the reason why she loves Stefan. However, a huge part of ‘Elena loving Stefan’ was broken and gone considering the fact that Stefan DIDNOT save Elena in 3×22…

Carla

Posted at 11:44 PM on September 29, 2012

Personally, I think Elena will choose Stefan because even when she thought both Salvatore brothers were dying, she chose Stefan, which is a pretty big deal. Even if she had met Damon first, it wouldn’t change anything. Her love for Stefan is real. Stefan was there for her in her time of need. Damon showed up and didn’t do anything that Elena would pick him for. She chose Stefan before becoming a vampire. Now that she is one, she will have more feelings for Stefan. Basically, I’m trying to say I hope SE last in season 4.

Thriller95Hina

Posted at 5:11 AM on September 29, 2012

Real Love IS CONSUMING. What Elena has with Damon is Real and True Love. DE is the ‘Epic True Love Story’ of TVD. However, Elena convinces herself that she SHOULD love Stefan. Why is she convincing herself to love Stefan? Because shes ‘out-grown’ him. And as a Vampire, she’ll out-grow him even more, and very gradually, she’ll start un-falling for him… “Maybe if you and I had met first” implies that if ‘Damon’ was there when her parents died, when she needed someone to give her safety and security, and to help her live again rather than Stefan, then no wonder, she would’ve chosen him. Furthur implying, thats the reason why shes choosing Stefan ‘FOR NOW’. Implying furthur more, thats the reason why she loves Stefan…

ThrillerLoveDE

Posted at 4:54 AM on September 29, 2012

Like I said before, I dont care what the SE fans say about SE. All of their arguments of shipping SE are torn to shreds after 3×22. In 3×22, Elena made a choice based on what she believed that she ‘should’ make. Not the kind of choice which she wanted deep from inside, from her heart. The thing is, Stefan came into her life at a time when she needed someone to give her safety and security and to help her live again, since she’d lost her way after her parents died (At the start of S1). He got her back on her feet, and made her feel ‘glad’ that shes alive again. “You SHOULD love the person who makes you feel glad that you’re alive”. Elena’s mistaken in thinking thats what ‘love’ really is…

J

Posted at 2:47 PM on September 28, 2012

I rooting for Daman and Elena in season 4

Hina22Hussain

Posted at 2:45 AM on September 26, 2012

Damon’s not gonna be the ‘Damon of Season 1′. No. He’ll always love Elena, yes. Its just, hes gonna stop pining for her, hes not gonna fight for her anymore. Damon’s already heart-broken because Elena chose his brother, Stefan, over him… Everything can change, now that Elena’s a Vampire. I’m pretty sure “I love you, Damon” will come somewhere in Season 4. (Maybe in the 1st Half of S4) I think… I know that Elena has done alot for Damon’s humanity, and has been there for him when noone else was. But in S3, I dont know, her character became somewhat degrading, pathetic and horrible in many parts of the Season… Like I said before, I want Elena’s character and personality to change, which is why I prefer the ‘Real Elena’ from 3×22 flashbacks. Imagine her being a Vampire with a personality like that. It would be just awesome. I wrote this before, and I’m writing it again, I want to see how ‘great’ and ‘magnificent’ Elena’s love for Damon is, in Season 4. As for SE, all I can say is that Vampire Elena is gonna ‘out-grow’ Stefan more and more, very gradually, she’ll start un-falling for him. Same will happen with Stefan as well, now that Elena’s a Vampire. We all know, Stefan doesnt love Elena unconditionaly, like Damon does. DE will last forever in the entire series. Whereas, SE will gladly come to an end in Season 4 since their relationship is ‘limited’…

Ashton Day

Posted at 5:12 AM on September 27, 2012

You all are forgetting one important thing.. she loves Stefan! When you become a vampire your emotions, everything, is heightened. She is never going to be with Damon.

Courtney fish

Posted at 11:12 PM on September 22, 2012

Well I don’t mind the Damond from season one at all hell he’s my fav I am the biggest delena fan ever so I just don’t want him to stop being the way he was with Elena last year I LOVED THAT DAMON

Carey

Posted at 3:13 PM on September 22, 2012

I’m in love with Damon’s character. I like both sides of him actually. I hope he doesn’t change back so much that me doesn’t love Elena anymore. I’m dying to see those two get together. I don’t think I’m alone in feeling that way. The chemistry between those two is undeniable. I so want them to go……well…all the way there. You can feel how much they want each other. I’m just hoping and waiting. Big!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Fan!!!!!!!! Thank you!!

Maria

Posted at 1:03 AM on September 22, 2012

I loved Damon period. So i think a combination of one and Three would be awesome.

team damon

Posted at 3:52 AM on September 14, 2012

I absolutely am addicted to the tension between damon and elena. Damon makes this show! Please dont ever eleminate the damon elena factor! Plus damon needs to win! He should be able to have happiness for awhile. I am excited to see how elena views all of damons actions now that she will know what its actually like to be a vampire. And to add damon is the sexiest thing ever, a few extra shirtless scenes could never hurt <3

Nicole G.

Posted at 9:30 PM on September 11, 2012

Friggin DELENA already.

Nicole G.

Posted at 9:07 PM on September 11, 2012

I’m not gonna lie, season one Damon, was awesome, he cracked me up! And season three, brought a change, and a growth to his character. It showed Elena that soft/sweet side, but also he let her know he doesn’t live up to anyone’s expectations, which is good. Maybe a combo of both?Yes? That said, StefenXElena…. need to go, I was rolling my eyes with every situation. He did some pretty unforgivable things… in any book. I wouldn’t go back to a guy like that. DamonXElena… YES! I’m with Rose on this one. Damon has been given the crappy end of the stick for too long. And Stefen is pretty even with Damon on the killing ppl bit… so dont gimme that crap about who’s better. When Elena gets her memory back about those moments with Damon…. oooh it’s only a matter of time :)) Damon+Elena= Dating <333 :)

sheila

Posted at 7:57 PM on September 10, 2012

I just can’t wait for it to start!!!! I love Damon’s multi personality:)

kristina

Posted at 3:27 PM on September 4, 2012

I WANT THE THE SEASON 1 DAMON AND A LITTLE OF THE EMOTIONAL DAMON TOO .MY PREDICTION FOR DAMON IS TO ME HAPPY AND FIND A NEW LOVE LOVE DAMON FOREVER . I WANT THE RIPPER STEFAN AND A LITTLE SEASON 1 STEFAN BETWEEN.

Cam

Posted at 4:29 PM on August 28, 2012

I liked Damon’s sweeter side. He shouldn’t be a pushover but going back to being evil? Really? So much for character growth. And boring predictable protective Stefan, even though he couldn’t protect Elena at all, he just goes along with what she wants and hugs her a lot. Maybe they could have had Damon and Elena actually open up to each other in a profound way, instead she throws his emotions under a bus in season 3 and goes back to Stefan. The guy emotionally abused her the entire season and did nothing to redeem himself, but yeah, he’s the sweet one. Ugh! I love this show but it frustrates me to no end!

Robyn

Posted at 5:55 PM on August 29, 2012

I couldn’t agree more – but that’s where the power of first love comes in, I suppose. It kind of overshadows everything else, and Elena’s feelings for Stefan were always there right beneath the surface no matter how much he pushed her away and how much pain he put her through. Her attraction to Damon was based on something else entirely, and while she didn’t handle things with him the way he deserved and acted pretty immaturely IMO, she was never unfaithful in her love for Stefan, and Damon knows that too. I am a die-hard Delena shipper and always will be, but I hope the writers will work out a dynamic which will allow them to continually support and challenge one another as equals, not with one pining hopelessly for the other and losing himself in the process. Their relationship couldn’t continue to teeter on the brink of a precipice anymore, not with the way Elena unwittingly’s been using Damon, and it’s good that she finally made a choice, but that isn’t to say that things can’t change very quickly over the course of the next season. Realistically, Damon will unearth some of the aloof attitude he’s so good at adopting and distance himself emotionally from Elena, but I don’t think the writers will allow him to regress to the point where he’d lose all the progress he’s made in season 3. Somewhere down the road it would be immensely gratifying to see Elena open up to Damon and fight for him for once, but if that happens, it’ll be tied up with her own experiences and changing emotions as a vampire which will present their own unique challenges. As for Damon, I loved his character arc in Season 3, but it wouldn’t hurt to see him reclaim some of his old pride and find a purpose in life that does not always revolve around a woman. I think that would be a nice change of pace and it could really empower him as a character.

sahra fenty

Posted at 8:56 AM on August 28, 2012

I’d perfer the old damon it suit’s him……!

melissa jackson

Posted at 6:20 PM on August 27, 2012

i want the sweet damon in season 3 n i wanted this season to be a turn for damon and elena being together jst for a little while i want 2 c how they would b like as a couple

alex

Posted at 11:29 AM on August 26, 2012

I want the old selfish Damon

sybrinawyng

Posted at 2:09 AM on August 26, 2012

i prefer the emotional damon in season 3. the one who will do anything for elena.

melissa jackson

Posted at 6:21 PM on August 27, 2012

thank u most ppl want damon 2 b the old bad damon from season 1 but i want the damon 2 from season 3

rahebe

Posted at 1:54 AM on August 22, 2012

some how i like damon emotionally…but i think it’s his time to stop fighting for her and elena should start it…and i really want them together because damon deserve the best
stefan is always pretend that he is good while damon accept his personality and deal with it…at least he doesn’t lie

Maro

Posted at 8:42 AM on August 22, 2012

just how i feel :)

gtn

Posted at 3:02 PM on August 29, 2012

soooooooooooo truee!!!

Amshu

Posted at 12:28 PM on August 20, 2012

I don’t know.I’m kind of going to miss this damon.All caring and loving about elena.But yeah the old damon had that personality and the badness in him that actually attracted me towards him in the first place.lets see what happens.And yes I am soooooooooooooo glad to know that elena and damon met first and had that convo.I am kind of sad because elena is now a vampire but lets see how i cope with that change of course.I hope i can relate to the vampire elena as much as i did with her when she was human.:)

Thana

Posted at 11:11 PM on August 16, 2012

@Hina Hussain Well done, U said every thing. I completely agree with U. Hope Elena will see it cause she was super blind in season three.Looking toward episode 2&4

TatjanaMMAvTLauKStew

Posted at 10:37 PM on August 16, 2012

I`m sooooo sad, because Elena is not human anymore!!!!! Me too, i don’t want that damon fight for Elena anymore!!!!! Now it`s Elenas turn!!!!! Show how particularly, great, … her love for him is!!!!!

Hina Hussain

Posted at 9:45 PM on August 16, 2012

One thing for sure I want is that Damon shouldnot live to anybodys expectations. He should do whatever he wants. However, Julie said that Elenas relationship with Damon will open in a brand new way, now that shes a Vampire and those memories return to her and affect her. What I want is that Damon shouldnot fight for Elena anymore, yeah he’ll always love her BUT now its Elenas turn. She should fight to death for Damon, die within a blink for him, show how great and magnificent her love for him is. Im pretty sure all the DE fans want this so badly. I want Elenas character and her personality to change. I loved her in the 3×22 flashbacks though, especially where she was saying ”Mysterious stranger who has all the answers” to Damon. I loved that scene sooo much. That was her ‘true’ and ‘real’ personality, so I hope she comes out like that as a Vampire…

gtn