‘Vampire Diaries': Damon Finally Gets His Edge Back In Season 4

Wed, August 15, 2012 4:21pm EDT by 73 Comments
Courtesy of The CW

Damon regains the ‘devil-may-care attitude’ he had in season one, reveals executive producer Julie Plec — and I can’t wait!

Fans of The Vampire Diaries originally fell in love with Damon (Ian Somerhalder) as the smarmy, unpredictable alternative to Paul Wesley‘s noble Stefan — and that’s exactly what he’ll be like when the show returns for its fourth season. “This year, Damon is the Damon of season one,” executive producer Julie Plec tells TVLine. “He’s got attitude. He’s always right. … This year is going to be very much about … ‘You don’t like who I am, how I do things? Well screw you.'”

Oh, how I’ve missed that Damon.

“He’s still going to be the Damon we know and love — he’s still going to be kicking ass and taking names — but he just has this devil-may-care attitude about it,” Julie continues. “He’s just not going to change for anybody anymore. He did that. That’s over. That’s so last year.”

Speaking of last year, let’s be real: The third season was an awkward one for the Salvatores. While Stefan let his dark side take over as Klaus’ personal ripper, Damon let himself get soft in an attempt to win over Elena (Nina Dobrev). While I enjoyed discovering the brothers’ multiple dimensions, I have to admit I’m thrilled both Stefan and Damon are returning to their roots.

It’s not that I crave predictability, but rather dependability. Every fan has his or her favorite Salvatore, and it’s difficult when one of them suddenly does a 180 and becomes a different person. I’m hoping season four gives us more of the Salvatores we’ve come to love — reckless, impulsive Damon and noble, protective Stefan.

Besides, with Elena becoming a vampire, I’m pretty sure Mystic Falls won’t be able to handle any more changes.

Are you excited for Damon’s return to his roots, or did you prefer the emotional Damon we got in season three? Drop me a comment with your wishes for the new season!

— Andy Swift

More Vampire Diaries season 4 scoop:

1. ‘Secret Circle’ Star Phoebe Tonkin Joins ‘The Vampire Diaries’
  2. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Scoop: Will Stefan Reject Elena In Season 4?
  3. ‘Vampire Diaries’ Season 4: Damon Won’t Take Elena Back Easily

delena fan

Posted at 9:27 PM on October 19, 2012

love if he’s attitude comes back, not so sure about the impulsivness though. I don’t want a repeat of Vicki or the nearly kill Jeremy incident either. So, fine he has a right to do things his way after Elena had the nerve to not choose Damon, but let’s not make him too reckless and still care about the people around him even if he disagrees with them.

Ana @ BookSpark

Posted at 4:15 PM on October 7, 2012

To be honest, I am beyond ecstatic for this (re)turn of events! Although I enjoyed watching Damon turn sweet and vulnerable, I love him the most when he turns up his collar and laughs at the world :)

Kaleb2010

Posted at 7:54 PM on October 6, 2012

I think this season Julie Plec wrote the series to try to please everyone a little bit. She tries to do that every year. It has to happen gradually ya know. otherwise it wont be realistic. And what good is something when it is not drawn out and waited for. You appreciate it more. Damon and Elena will be together one day just let the series take its coarse and honestly Elena and Damon probably wouldnt have made it when she was human. I love the fact of her becoming a vampire then falling harder for Damon so she can really understand that he isnt as selfish as she thinks he is. She has season 1 damon and season 2 damon still in her mind and can’t fully focus on all the good Damon has done for her and himself. So season 3 Damon will be more appreciated when she is a Vampire herself and realize his ways were not that bad and he honestly loves her and she needs to show the viewers and Damon how much she loves him…because honestly they havent got that serious yet. Thier story is epic. And even though Stefan is great and tries so hard to be the best for her. He has to start trying for himself. When your in a relationshipyou have to love yourself and Stefan has to much resentment. He needs to do a lot of work on his bloodlust and personal problems before he can really be with someone forever. And I think Damon is farther along than he is. Go Delena!!!!

damonishotstefanisnot

Posted at 1:25 PM on October 6, 2012

Damon to go back to Damon season 1

Anna

Posted at 11:25 AM on October 2, 2012

would all the SE fans just shut up, please. Everyone has their own opinion. Stop telling DE fans to stop shipping Delena. It’s not going to happen. Personally, I think Stelena is the most childish ship on that godamn show. It’s so predictable. I just can’t imagine why anybody would want a couple to be together like that, even after everything Damon has been through for Elena. So just shut up, ok. Stelena is stupid. I don’t care if you get butthurt, I’m going to continue loving my ship always and forever, and I will not be phased by your childish comments.