‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: The Girls Witness Maya’s Kidnapping

Wed, August 15, 2012 12:19am EST by 26 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Plus, five other mind-blowers from the Aug. 14 episode of ‘Pretty Little Liars.’

I know every episode of Pretty Little Liars is a parade of revelations and other-such discoveries, but this week’s episode was relentless in its shockery. For example: Did you know Garrett (Yani Gellman) wasn’t the last person to see Maya (Bianca Lawson) alive? Or that Emily (Shay Mitchell) might be bisexual? Or that Noel Kahn (Brant Daugherty) is on the football team? Those all came as equal, fantastic surprises to me.

Here’s a breakdown of the evening’s many reveals. (Try not to squee out loud):

1. “Hen” (or “Wranna,” or whatever) is happening:

Though Hanna (Ashley Benson) originally dissed and dismissed Dr. Wren’s (Julian Morris) charming British advancements, an injury she sustained at the Kahns’ cabin — she got stabbed in the leg and it was crazy — drew them together again. Wren came to her house, worked some kind of medical British magic on her leg, then cooked her dinner using whatever he found in the fridge. It sounded really gross and I wouldn’t have eaten a bite of it. (Related question for the group: How old is Wren supposed to be? A full-grown man in a hospital uniform looks ridiculous hitting on underage girls in coffee shops.)

2. Rosewood High has a football team & everyone is on it:

I know I can’t complain about this show’s lack of skin thus far — there has been so much skin, to be honest — but am I the only viewer appalled that we’re just now getting a glimpse into the Rosewood High locker room? We’re midway through season three; How long has Noel Kahn been on the football team? This seems like a very good thing waiting to happen, as Spencer (Troian Bellisario) discovered when she tried snooping through His Royal Eyebrows’ gym locker for a clue about Maya’s death. Though she ended up getting caught, “Noel” (or probably “A”) e-mailed Spencer a shocking video, which leads me to the next revelation…

3. Neither Noel, Jenna nor Garrett killed Maya:

Noel’s e-mail to Spencer contained security footage from the Kahns’ cabin the night of Maya’s death — and it ruled out three of the murder suspects! Noel and Jenna (Tammin Sursok) were seen going inside the cabin alone, and Garrett had already been arrested for allegedly killing Alison. (Side note: Garrett’s life sucks.) So who grabbed her outside the cabin? My money is on Paige (Lindsey Shaw). I already predicted this months ago, and now that she caught Emily kissing Nate (Sterling Sulieman), she’s only two episodes away from going Absolutely InsAne. Oh, right, about that kiss…

4. Emily is maybe, kinda, sorta bisexual — but probably not:

Yes, Emily kissed Nate — but I believe it was merely a moment of weakness. He was crying and looked very sad in his V-neck t-shirt, so I don’t blame her for going to town on him, though she didn’t seem to be enjoying it. But at the end of the day, does it really matter what Emily was thinking? Paige walked in on them kissing, so regardless of any emotions, the girl is bound to go nuts and try to kill them both.

5. Ella is a hot piece:

Aria (Lucy Hale) got to know her mom’s new boyfriend, Bartender Zack (Steve Talley), and she definitely approves. I give my blessing, too. I’ve always loved Holly Marie Combs — my appreciation goes all the way back to Charmed — and I love seeing her getting to do something fun for once. Prior to this romance, Ella’s story lines either involved being clueless about Aria or being trapped in a tense marriage with Byron. Here’s hoping for more of this new Ella in the coming weeks.

6. Aria’s ex-games with Ezra:

It seems Aria is just as unlucky in love as her mom — and I’m referring to Ella’s horrific divorce, not her current affairs. After pestering Ezra (Ian Harding) about Maggie, his pregnant high-school girlfriend who was payed by Mrs. Fitzgerald to disappear forever, Aria finally learned the truth: Ezra knows exactly where Maggie is today. DELAWARE! (Ok, that’s not exactly her address, but something tells me “A” won’t have any trouble tracking her down.)

What were your reactions to these seven revelations? Who do you believe kidnapped Maya? Do you predict Ezra’s ex is headed to Rosewood soon? And how do you think Hanna’s relationship with Wren will affect everything? Drop me a comment with your thoughts and theories!

— Andy Swift

More Pretty Little Liars:

1. A ‘Pretty Little’ Betrayal, A Tense ‘Degrassi’ Outing & More TV Scoop
  2. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: Ezra’s Brother Reveals His Dark Secret
  3. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Scoop: Did Paige Help Kill Alison?

jennifer salley

Posted at 8:27 PM on October 13, 2012

emily girlfriend died talk hanna boyfriend died

jennifer salley

Posted at 8:24 PM on October 13, 2012

maya handbag that taken with was the killer after they killed

Mary

Posted at 11:00 PM on August 19, 2012

Maggie IS headed to Rosewood cuz theres a pic of it and I think Hannah should give Wren a chance! The odd thing that I noticed about the show is that they found out in an episode that Ally was buried alive-never talked about it again. Get all this info on Garret and everyone and after one day, never use that info again! Find all these clues-don’t even use them. And then they have suspected that almost everyone in Rosewood is A. Theres lots more things like this and I don’t see why any of the girls use these clues!!

Lluvia Lopez

Posted at 1:03 AM on August 16, 2012

Ohh loved your predictios. I think Page it’s up to something. The scene where Emily and Hanna got trapped by -A freaked me out. But here, where’s Lucas?? He’s for sure on the -A team, he might be, right?? And who sended that video to Spencer?? Things are getting creepier!!

Melika

Posted at 7:55 PM on August 15, 2012

Ok, so this wasn’t my favorite episode so far!
I’m really worried about Ezra and aria Andy , I don’t know but I font think if Maggie kept the child it will make everything so weird!
I agree with you in page ,I think she killed Maya! But here is the thing at the end of the episode we saw A sorting his/het jackets, I don’t know but that kinda remined me of melissa!
I like Hanna with Caleb not wren!!
Oh and by the way I’m really confused by what Emily did! I’m dying to know what will happen next! Thank you Andy !

Theseus

Posted at 12:51 PM on August 15, 2012

We want Maya back alive to be with Emily 4EVER AN EVER, EMAYA RULES!

Shannon

Posted at 9:25 AM on August 15, 2012

the term that people most use for wren and hanna is ‘wrenna’ :) for future reference

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:54 AM on August 15, 2012

I hope we won’t have to use it for long… :-/

Melissa Lewis (@ScriptedTV)

Posted at 1:43 AM on August 15, 2012

I don’t know, Andy. Paige does seem to be… well nuts- she already tried to sort-of-drown Emily in the pool, volunteered to commit murder for her, and now she’s punching the daylights out of the trash, but there’s something about Nate that just doesn’t sit right with me. What was with that intense face off with Jenna? Sure she had a reason to act like a weirdo- What’s Her Butt, who runs that trendy scarf/earrings shop threatened to claw her eyes out, but Nate? Yes, she stood him up, but seemed pretty aggressive, especially for someone who was actually pining for Emily. I want to see some ancestry.com documentation that proves Maya and Nate were really cousins. My theory is he’s actually Maya’s stalker/boyfriend from True North and he’s the one who tried to grab her at the cabin.

As for Ella and Coffee House Zach? I approve. And for Aria and Ezra? I love to see the conflict in their relationship, I just wish we got to see more than 4 lines at a time.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:45 AM on August 15, 2012

“My theory is he’s actually Maya’s stalker/boyfriend from True North and he’s the one who tried to grab her at the cabin.”

I like that theory!

Stupid ppl..

Posted at 7:31 AM on August 15, 2012

Damn melissa -thats a good theory. I wish i thought of that :(

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:54 AM on August 15, 2012

Right?! I think she’ll get to say “I told you so” in 2 weeks.

Lluvia Lopez

Posted at 1:12 AM on August 16, 2012

I agree with you. Nate is weird, he didn’t give Emily Maya’s adress. He is just to caring to be Maya’s cousin. He knows a lot of Emily. He’s got something I don’t like

Addy

Posted at 1:18 AM on August 15, 2012

Actually Andy, Emily dates boys in the books but likes to try women. I mean, she’s bisexual so it was different when they made her gay. Alas, I belive bisexual people are not well represented on TV.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:34 AM on August 15, 2012

Ah, very true. You don’t see many bisexual characters given proper development.

Stupid ppl..

Posted at 1:08 AM on August 15, 2012

I love Ezra but he’s pissing me off. And hannah and wren? I hope not. I love caleb and her better but w/e maybe wren wont be so nosy as caleb. And yes holly was good back in her Charmed days! that used to be my show.

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:09 AM on August 15, 2012

If Ella could freeze people and blow stuff up, this would be a very different show.

Hannah

Posted at 1:00 AM on August 15, 2012

I definitely think Paige is about to A-wAll. I mean, they have been pushing the Emily and Paige relationship a lot lately, so it kind of makes sense. Poor Emily, the girl never gets a break.

I also really like the Hanna and Wren story line, even though I have always been rooting for Spencer and Wren. I guess it’s just nice to see Wren’s face. haha (:

Andy Swift

Posted at 1:01 AM on August 15, 2012

Either Paige is Maya’s kidnapper, or they really want us to think she is.

Also, it is nice to see Wren … but really, how old is he supposed to be?

hannahk101

Posted at 1:09 AM on August 15, 2012

Very True. For all we know, Paige could just be distracting us from the real killer (and/or kidnapper).
I honestly have no idea. I’m going to guess around the same age as Ezra (however old that is!), but probably a tad bit older…

Aly

Posted at 12:33 AM on August 15, 2012

I actually like Hanna and Wren. I totally think Paige is gonna flip out and I think she’s the one who killed Maya. Noel’s been on the football team since the first season, I remember it being mentioned before.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:42 AM on August 15, 2012

Was it mentioned? I wish it had been seen. This was fun.

Natalie

Posted at 12:33 AM on August 15, 2012

If they are following the books, Emily is bisextual (I think). I don’t see why Noel didn’t come forward with the tape sooner.

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:43 AM on August 15, 2012

Ah… the books. They followed them with Mona, so maybe they will with Emily, too.

Hannah

Posted at 3:25 AM on August 15, 2012

I don’t know about Wren and Hanna, her drama and relationships are much too confusing… but if you think about the killer Paige thing it kinda makes sense. I mean wasn’t she always jealous of Maya? She wanted a relationship with Em from the start, but Maya kinda beat her there, so maybe when she came back from True North Paige got jealous and off’d her… does anyone else find it odd that questions are never REALLY answered? More questions are just added.

jennifer salley