‘True Blood’ Recap: Russell Rebels & [Spoiler] Betrays Sookie

Mon, August 13, 2012 12:00am EST by 17 Comments
Courtesy of HBO (2)

Shonna

Posted at 12:07 AM on August 17, 2012

What if Bill is Warlow, Makes sense he knew all about sookie before she even did

Tam

Posted at 12:05 AM on August 14, 2012

I think Bill having a “BIG MASTER PLAN” seems really safe. I’m hoping the writers don’t go that cheesy route. I watch HBO for the non-cheese… I have cable for that. That said, I finally started to believe Bill actually was brain washed when he was watching Nora and Eric get high off the blood and when Lilith killed Godric, and Bill saw Eric surrender in a way, he said Praise Lilith in that creepy cult way and NO ONE WAS AROUND for him to fake it in front of. I almost wonder if eventually Sookie will be captured by Russell and will be brought to Salomes attention and will say she’s the perfect gift for Lilith. A sacrifice. It is then that I think Bill could snap out of it. But really, I want Eric to comprise his life for her first and make him the “good guy” for once. Any thoughts?

asfandancer

Posted at 3:45 PM on August 13, 2012

I agree with you that Bill is “just going through the motions, waiting for his chance to strike” because for me TB is so predictable where Bill is concerned. In AB and Company’s world Bill always comes to the rescue to save the day, and they will play this card again where sanctimonious pontificating Bill is concerned which makes for a truly predictable boring character. In the meantime they go out of their way to make Eric a weak character, but Alexander Skarsgård plays him to such perfection that even when he is perceived as weak he comes across as the most complex strong character on the show. No matter how they try in the end to convince us that Bill is really the remarkable good guy who breaks the Authority’s grip the fact that he is the one who pulled the trigger, or pushed the button as it were, that disintegrated Molly makes him forever unredeemable in my eyes. Jason was good in this episode. In seasons past it has seemed like they were grasping for a story for Jason, but this season it has been a good storyline. While I know it won’t last, I just want to say thank you TB for not including Neanderthal Man Wolf Alcide in this episode. It was a welcome relief for me.

omegahare

Posted at 3:13 PM on August 13, 2012

Warlow = Ancient Fae/Vampire hybrid and will rip the hell out of Russel who will be alot younger then Warlow, my thoughts

omegahare

Posted at 3:14 PM on August 13, 2012

My reasoning behind that thought is Russel is going out to get Sookie, the only thing I can see possibly stopping him would be Warlow being there to protect his investment and dispatching Russel to his (Russels) surprise)

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:46 PM on August 13, 2012

A vampire/fairy hybrid would be epic.

omegahare

Posted at 3:08 PM on August 13, 2012

I think Russel is going to die very soon, he is out for blood (Sookies) and Warlow has his claim on her ass already, I think Warlow is a VERY ancient vampire/ex-fae (atleast 4k+ years old) and will rip Russel in half for trying to take whats his, which he is going to be there to claim when Russel finally finds Sookie

Miss. Llah

Posted at 11:46 AM on August 13, 2012

I would like to see Salome killed. She sneaky, misguided and not very attractive with that silly wig on. Get rid of Russell Edgington once and for all. Anyone could have seen this coming. Russell is a looming threat, and it’s hard to imagine how he maintained his pact with the Werewolves when he was away for a year… If they wanted to keep a villain, in my opinion they should have kept the Queen or Maryann. Maryann was a terrific villain. Complex, evolving and mysterious.

I think Steve Newlin is being well used. We still don’t know who turned him. I would like to see Steve’s father come to him from beyond the grave (through Lafayette), and convince Steve that he is a disappointing abomination and can only save himself by righting his wrongs and becoming a Vampire Hunter. It would be great if he were the one who delivered the true death to Russell. I would like to know what Sarah Newlin is doing. I think she could play an interesting role. If Steve is staked it should be Sarah or Jason who does it.

Andy Swift

Posted at 4:46 PM on August 13, 2012

“I would like to see Salome killed.”

I have a feeling you’ll get your wish ;-)

Lynne

Posted at 9:29 AM on August 13, 2012

I believe that Bill is playing along. In episode 9 after he bit Salome he looked at the blood on his fingers and realized this is the same blood as in the vial which is supposed to be Lilith’s.
He and Eri & Jessica had the same look on their faces when Russell said he wanted to walk in the sun. They were thinking of Sookie. Bill would not care if he was under the influence.

I hope we find out this season why Mr. Stackhouse entered a contact with Warlow. It sounds to me Warlow wants to make babies with Sookie. I Think Warlow is part Vampire/Fairy.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:52 AM on August 13, 2012

With only 2 episodes left this season, I wonder if Warlow is going to be kept as a major villain for next season…

Igor

Posted at 2:22 AM on August 13, 2012

This episode was even more boring than the others till Tara saved the day with her little rebellion and the fact that Russel acted like himself again also helped.

The whole Lilith storyarch still gets on my nerves though but we watched a bit less of it this week.

But the best part remains the Tara/Pam relationship, it was really genius I think to make Tara turned by the vampire she hated the most.

The slow dance scene between Russel and Steve was just ri-di-cu-lous. Their relationship is absolutly uninteresting because it just iS… It would have been better to have Steve keep pursuing Jason who he claimed he loved, that was also quite a smart and funny twist but the writers preferred to go for the safety of boring writing.

Lala, the funniest character on the show was well undersused this week, the writers better not plan to kill him.

Bill and Eric are pretending in my humble opinion and the characters I would love the series to loose before next season are many:
Luna, the whole Lilith team, Jessica…

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:13 AM on August 13, 2012

“The best part remains the Tara/Pam relationship”

I agree! I’ve always loved Pam, but this week made me love Tara too. And they’re awesome together.

“The slow dance scene between Russel and Steve was just ri-di-cu-lous.”

But hilarious! I don’t think the writers expect us to actually get invested in their relationship. It’s just for laughs.

Miss. Llah

Posted at 11:28 AM on August 13, 2012

Igor, I agree with you, and love talking to other True Blood viewers. The Pam/Tara relationship was a great idea, and I sure didn’t see that coming. It’s the kind of wonderful character development that made me fall in love with the series in the first place. The slow dance scene between Russell and Steve was campy and funny to me. I am amused by their relationship, but I also enjoyed his relationship with Talbot.

Lafayette is hysterical, and honestly.. He was the single reason I ever tuned into True Blood. I recall channel surfing before I’d ever heard a thing about it, and I stopped on that channel because one of his ridiculous outfits peaked my curiosity. I agree the Lala character is a gem, but the reason he is underused is because in the book he was dead a long time ago, and I think these writers have no idea what to do with him at this point.

Miss. Llah

Posted at 1:44 AM on August 13, 2012

I think Erik is playing on, trying to find a way out of this, but I think that Bill is a real Sanguinista. Russel is a ridiculous villain. He doesn’t want power, money… He just seems to want it all and after 3000 he is a spoiled brat with the unchecked, overdeveloped id of a three year old. He has no purpose. I think this season is awful! I am not sure what vision the writers are following. The one saving grace is Tara & Pam’s relationship. It’s rich, complex and entertaining. I am thrilled that Tara seems to have a purpose now.

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:16 AM on August 13, 2012

“I think Erik is playing on … but I think that Bill is a real Sanguinista.”

Part of me believes Bill has a plan, but we need to remember how old he is. We’ve only known him for a little bit, compared to the many years he’s been a vampire.

Miss. Llah

Posted at 11:18 AM on August 13, 2012

Andy I would like to believe Bill is playing on with a plan.

I recall that he was very believable when pursuing Sookie in the first season, all along sent by the Queen to befriend Sookie and get fairy blood… Also in the books Bill is the most two faced, money hungry opportunist in Bon Temp, so it’s feasible that this all part of some master plan.

However, the reason I believe that he is authentic, is because the bombing of the True Blood Factories was his brainchild. This has sparked the revolution that no sane vampire would want, and he knew this. He is going around killing these innocents. The woman in the bed, The techie vamp… He’s is becoming the biggest baddie around. It will be quite a pill for viewers to swallow if the writers have him do that much of a 360 and say “it was all an act, or a means to an end.”

Thoughts?