Stephenie Meyer Urges ‘Twilight’ Fans: Don’t Name Your Child Renesmee

Fri, August 10, 2012 12:24pm EST by 47 Comments
Stephenie Meyer Entertainment Weekly
Courtesy of Summit Entertainment/SplashNews

whatwehave is anoxymoron

Posted at 2:36 AM on September 3, 2012

If you read through her books (where she thanks peoplr & crap) if you notice that a lot of the charachters in her boooks are named after perople in her family & everyday life. So who is she to judge?

Me

Posted at 7:26 PM on August 18, 2012

Wow, adults who have named their kids this hideous name. Congrats, you have saddled your child with a name in which others will be able to identify your parents as immature – immediately. If you think names don’t matter then you fit the saying that you can’t tell dumb people how dumb they are.

HeartziRAWR

Posted at 6:30 PM on August 13, 2012

If I ever have a daughter (Ewww)
I will name her “Isabella” b/c of Bella from Twilight I love that name it’s beautiful
Stephenie should feel honor that young adults want to name their children after her Books characters.

Stephanie

Posted at 5:18 PM on August 13, 2012

i dont like the name period. its ugly lol. fantasy or reality. hey stephenie i made up a name, lets see who uses it. its Tatelynn

Heather

Posted at 5:06 PM on August 13, 2012

One of my friends is called Renesmee, we all call her Nessie though

HeartziRAWR

Posted at 6:24 PM on August 13, 2012

really??

Dawn

Posted at 1:50 PM on August 13, 2012

My boss’s name is Branwynn and she is named after a character from her mom’s favorite book. We call her Wynn at work and I think it’s a beautiful name. I also work with a woman named Juliet and my friends named her daughter Bella because of Twilight. My husband named out oldest son Gage after a character in the book Pet Cemetary. Books touch people’s hearts and if they want to show that love by naming their child after a character from a book they love then I see nothing wrong with that. they’re doing out of respect. Stephanie should feel honored not disturbed.

Michelle

Posted at 12:43 AM on August 12, 2012

“So Mom, what’s the meaning behind my name?” “Well, honey, back when I was young I really liked the Twilight movies–about this chick in high school that falls in love with a vampire–they ended up getting married and named their baby Renesmee–after her mother and his mother–”
Call me old fashioned, but I would want to put a little more personal meaning behind my child’s name besides it being a character in a book and movie–and Renesmee isn’t even a large major character in the story until the end– And doesn’t the plot involve the Volturi wanting to kill her? (It’s been awhile since I’ve read the books, and I loved them, and the movies!) Now, if you really did have a mom named Renee, and your husband’s mother’s name was Esme, it would make perfect sense to name your child that :)

Jasmine

Posted at 11:02 PM on August 11, 2012

Stop focusing on people’s names and more on their character and abilities. People throughout the world feel forced to change their names for the sake of “finding work.” That is total BS. Regardless if your name is John or Jeseptio you should have the same chances “becoming a lawyer”…provided your qualifications are the same

DKP

Posted at 10:16 PM on August 11, 2012

That’s not even that odd of a name compared to some. Wtf is she even talking about? An intelligent person will be held down by society and not get into medical school or law school just because of their name? I thought it went by grades not names. That is just stupid. I bet she’d like to smack Gwyneth Paltrow for naming her kid Apple.

Jackie

Posted at 2:32 AM on August 12, 2012

Honestly, a name REALLY does matter in the workplace. If the person who does the hiring sees the name Shaniqua or BonQuiQui or some ghetto name you think that’s their first pick? And Gwyneth Paltrow does deserve a smack!

Me

Posted at 8:04 PM on August 19, 2012

It’s a proven fact. Read the story about the kid that was named Adolf. You’ll see the wacky parents who did this & you’ll realize this kid is being raised by them. You think the kid is going to grow up well adjusted? You give your kid a ghetto name & it usually means you grew up in the ghetto, often with the ghetto ideals. People’s standards have become “I have to make a point about being unique with such simpleton things” rather than being something unique.

Courtney

Posted at 7:27 AM on August 11, 2012

Ms Meyer should shut her trap and realize naming a child after a litterary Character is very normal What about Scarlet Blanche Eve Clara India Violet Beatrice Matilda & Carolyn. Scarlet being from Gone With The Wind Blanche from A Streetcar Named Desire Eve from The Three Faces of Eve Clara from Long Hot Summer Violet from Suddenly Last Summer Beatrice & Matilda from The Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man In The Moon Marigolds and India & Carolyn from Mr & Mrs Bridge mind you five of those performances were oscar nominated as best actress 3 won and another won a cannes award the dates of those ceremonies are February 29th 1940 March 20th 1952 March 26th 1958 April 4th 1960 Cannes awards banquet May 20th 1973 & March 25th 1991. almost nobody complains when those names are used

JS

Posted at 11:43 PM on August 10, 2012

Each word and name has its own meaning and vibrations, which affect person. So, people have to control their thoughts and words they say, and what names they give to their children because it determines all the rest of one’s life.

Denmark

Posted at 7:56 PM on August 10, 2012

I completely understand Stephenie’s perspective. This name is fictional, inexistent and most importantly, something personal in her world! If i make up a name, even if i share it with millions of people, i still have the upper hand. It is my name, because i made it and it means alot.. Just like Renesmee is “Stephenie’s”..

Jen

Posted at 7:34 PM on August 10, 2012

Renesmee is not any more strange than these other baby names Hollywood parents have named their kids. I have already seen Renesmee named for a new baby girl.

l

Posted at 6:51 PM on August 10, 2012

Stephanie meyer you need to calm down people can name their kids renesmee and they are aloud to use the name

vivi

Posted at 6:07 PM on August 10, 2012

So what if we name our child Renesmee, maybe we want a piece of memory from our beloved movies. I’m young but I want (when I’m older) my own little Renesmee its a beautiful, unique, one of a kind name.

Jackie

Posted at 6:29 PM on August 10, 2012

That’s what YOU want though. Are you thinking about when your child is older and other kids are making fun of her? That name is right up there with Shaniqua, or Apple…I actually knew a girl whose name was Surprise too. And when she’s older she won’t care about Twilight because the fade will have died away by then. I completely agree with Stephanie Meyer.

Alexus

Posted at 2:22 PM on August 13, 2012

I didn’t get to pick my name….like most other children… I’m not all butt hurt that I practically got named after a car…. I’m over 18 if I want to change my name I could as could any other adult.

Denmark

Posted at 7:59 PM on August 10, 2012

But people “overtaking” the name ruin’s the magic of the name. It’s unique for Edward and Bella’s baby- even though they too, just as “Renesmee”, are fictional. It’s not unique if you name your child this.. It is unique in Stephenie’s amazing novel.

LIZBETH

Posted at 5:34 PM on August 10, 2012

I NAMED MY DAUGHTER TIANNA RENESMEE ! LAST YEAR MAY 1 2011!

Tianna

Posted at 3:13 AM on August 11, 2012

Woah! My name is Tianna too! Two N’s and everything! Thank you, random internet person, for naming your child Tianna. Now I don’t feel all alone in the world :)

angela

Posted at 6:59 AM on August 11, 2012

YOU’RE SO CRAZY AND STUPID

sta-cy@hotmail.com

Posted at 8:13 AM on August 11, 2012

OMG????? tianna renesmee i wish you good luck when you get older.

dear god people get crazier by time (-_-”)

DKP

Posted at 10:19 PM on August 11, 2012

That is very beautiful!

Alexus

Posted at 2:26 PM on August 13, 2012

Thats a beautiful name. My daughter is Renesmee Jordynn as of November 25 2009

jane

Posted at 3:30 PM on August 10, 2012

hahahaha now she tells me…oooeeeps to late

Jackie

Posted at 2:34 AM on August 12, 2012

Someone had to tell you?…

hybrd

Posted at 2:30 PM on August 10, 2012

renesme is a such a terrible name

charlotte

Posted at 5:54 PM on August 10, 2012

disagree

Lyss

Posted at 2:13 PM on August 10, 2012

Stephenie Meyer herself on The name Renesmee

“I am someone who strongly believes in reality, and that you don’t monkey around with people’s names. Whether they become a stripper or a lawyer has a large part to do with the name you give them. I would never name a real child Renesmee. But in fantasy, you can name your characters anything you want. I couldn’t have named [Bella and Edward’s] child Lindsay. I couldn’t have named her anything that already exists-it would have felt wrong. I had to pick a name that I felt was completely and totally unique, which opens you up to heckling. Which I’ve taken. I take all my heckling, and I totally get it!”.

See. ITS FANTASY! Stephenie herself said she would be disturbed if someone named their kid that. She made up a name because it had to be unique and not something that exists or it wouldn’t feel right. Hope that answers peoples questions on why the heck she would name a kid something like that (btw, NEVER in reality!)

Nikki

Posted at 2:08 PM on August 10, 2012

I could call my daughter Nessie but never Renesmee its to weird I think its perfect for Edward and Bella but not in real life

Tina

Posted at 2:00 PM on August 10, 2012

Wow its just a name. I bet people who have that name are like excuse me?!

me

Posted at 3:00 PM on August 10, 2012

No one is named that. Did you not read the article? She made the name up.

sam

Posted at 1:36 PM on August 10, 2012

she just wanted to name her own child that haha

Agree w/ Steph

Posted at 1:19 PM on August 10, 2012

I am a fan but the name Renesmee is just….odd. I never liked it.

Stupid ppl..

Posted at 12:31 PM on August 10, 2012

R u serious? Ppl actually named their child that? Hahahaha people take this twilight fantasy thing to seriously.

nellie