Baby Dies In Scorching Mini-Van After Mom Forgets To Drop Him Off At Daycare

Fri, August 10, 2012 3:30pm EDT by 27 Comments
Stephanie Gray Baby
Courtesy WZTV

A 5-month-old baby tragically died after accidentally being left in a mini-van for SIX hours — in 93 degree heat. Read on for all the details!

Stephanie Gray, mother of four, is allegedly distraught after leaving her baby in her mini-van after forgetting to drop him off at daycare.

Joel Gray died on Tuesday August 7 after being left in 93 degree heat for six hours.

Stephanie reportedly went to pick up her son at the daycare, but was told he was never dropped off.

Family and friends are said to be rallying around Stephanie and her husband Aaron who currently live in Nashville, Tennessee. Police are reportedly currently investigating Joel’s death after Stephanie found him in the back of the family mini-van. Currently, she is not being charged.

According to a statement from Metro Nashville Police, “Gray reported she was home all day, her minivan parked in the driveway, until she returned to the church at 2:30 p.m. to pick Joel up. When she was told the child had not been there all day, she immediately ran to her minivan and found Joel in his rear car seat inside the vehicle. The child was taken inside the church. At that point, it is believed he was deceased from the heat inside the van.”

This is so incredibly sad.

– Christopher Rogers

More HollyBaby news:

1. Millionaire Dad & Ex-Wife Donate 6-yr-Old’s Organs To 3 Different Kids… ‘It’s Giving Them Solace,’ Says Source
  2. Tycoon’s Son, Six, Dies After Falling Down The Stairs At His Dad’s Mansion!
  3. Woman Tries To Kidnap Newborn Baby From Hospital In Duffel Bag

Ellen Fuller

Posted at 8:50 PM on September 26, 2012

In one article it said that she worked from home as an attorney. So yes she was working!!!!!!! But overall, this shouldn’t be let’s bash this mom, it is a tragedy and pray that other moms and dads learn from this!

Lulu

Posted at 3:35 PM on August 16, 2012

how can u forget your child in the car or not remember dropping him off at daycare…was she drunk…does not sound right to me. There is no excuse for this, plain neglect!

Michelle

Posted at 4:01 AM on August 12, 2012

My question is, If she was home all day working, Then wouldnt she question why she went out in the morning in the first place?? Its seems really fishy to me. Also why couldnt anyone hear him crying, Im sure after being left alone he would have started to cry….. Yes she should be charged with something, Its still neglect and unfit parenting. Very sad

jai

Posted at 11:18 PM on August 11, 2012

yall are messed up and horrible. this poor mother is devastated over this….for you to even think this was “planned” is SICK. she has 3 other healthy kids. much older kids who have never had any issues. everyone that knows them knows this was a horrible tragedy thy happened to a wonderful family. stop trying to make this some dateline special…she was not in the routine of dropping her youngest off, and was WORKING not sitting around. she will live with this for the rest of he life and for anyone even outside of the community to be rude and disgusting about this situation is uncalled for. just because you haven’t done it doesn’t mean it can’t happen to you. it can happen to anyone at any time. whether you want to believe that or not.

Michelle

Posted at 4:02 AM on August 12, 2012

Distgusting! Thats one hell of a mistake

Jennifer

Posted at 10:52 PM on August 11, 2012

I understand that people can forget things, what bothers me the most is how she sat at home for SIX hours and never remembered her child was in the car?! I have 4 children myself and have never did something so senseless. I know she must be feeling horrible, but it is no one and I mean NO ONES but her fault!!!!

Leigh

Posted at 5:12 PM on August 11, 2012

You all have no idea the circumstances behind this situation. I would not be so quick to judge. This mom is an attorney and works out of her own home…..she was not “sitting at home”. This is a tragic situation, and not one for any of us to judge.

alana

Posted at 12:48 PM on August 11, 2012

This is just sick. I’m betting she had this planned, why are you bringing your kid to daycare while your home sitting on your butt doing nothing. I’m a mother of 3 kids and I would never ever leave my kids in the car. I don’t understand how parents can say opps I forgot s/he was in the car, I just don’t understand it. This mother needs to be punished by the law b/c it was no aaccident. I’ll bet the baby was given something so he wouldn’t cry.

anonymous

Posted at 10:34 AM on August 11, 2012

opps forgot they afer that and people are commenting because it is so very sad that a innocent little boy lost his life and it could have been prevented

anonymous

Posted at 10:29 AM on August 11, 2012

Any parent that says that forgot their child is bs I have a child and I would never forget him she should be charged and punished it makes me sick to my stomach that these so called parents can use an excuse I forgot

Chel

Posted at 2:19 AM on August 11, 2012

Interesting how not even neighbors heard crying

Chel

Posted at 2:17 AM on August 11, 2012

Some people are not fit to be parents.. the worst part is that this mom was inside probably doing leisure things while her baby is dying. This is so sad.

Perk

Posted at 8:39 PM on August 10, 2012

Accident or not this mother is still responsible for her baby’s death. She should be charged and punished.

Sam

Posted at 11:04 PM on August 10, 2012

She’s being punished enough buy knowing she caused her child’s death – who are you to decide another human beings punishment.

David

Posted at 12:01 AM on August 11, 2012

It’s called the justice system – humans deciding the punishment of other human beings.
Usually, there are legal consequences for something like this.

amy

Posted at 8:30 PM on August 10, 2012

So she was sitting home all day doing nothing? Why take your baby to day care then? And she left the house in the morning with intentions to drop him off, but then what? Doesn’t make sense to me.

katie

Posted at 8:08 AM on August 11, 2012

exactly, she wasnt even at work!! she was at home which means she never sould have been taking him to day care in the first place

ki

Posted at 7:27 PM on August 10, 2012

No offense, but that is really stupid to forget you child in a car…

precious.

Posted at 6:24 PM on August 10, 2012

@jkjello. thats totally different, your brother is old enough to breathe and find somewhere to wait, this baby died not knowing he was dying. you just dont forget something like that in the car. ?? like really are you 60?

Kendall

Posted at 5:16 PM on August 10, 2012

Four kids is a lot, she probably had this planned.

why ? why!!!!!!!!

Posted at 5:16 PM on August 10, 2012

well atleast hes in a better place now where he is not forgotten……………

why ? why!!!!!!!!

Posted at 5:15 PM on August 10, 2012

i mean son lol

why ? why!!!!!!!!

Posted at 5:14 PM on August 10, 2012

TWO WORDS —— *stupid b!tch*. I am a young mum (19) and i can never forget my daughter, shes first to everything on my mind, how the fcuk can you forget a baby omfg.! just wasted a whole lifetime of precious moments with your newborn daughter.

guest

Posted at 4:54 PM on August 10, 2012

not charged? You have got to be kidding me? Who FORGETS their baby in the car while they are home? This makes no sense! How sad – what an awful way to die……..

Jkjello

Posted at 5:35 PM on August 10, 2012

No need to be so rude!! Some people are just really forgetful. I forgot my brother at walmart once before Nd didn’t realize until I heard someone frying and found out it was my brother. It’s not like I did it on purpose I love mybrother and I wouldn’t want anything to happen to him. She forgot him and it was an accident. She doesn’t need your hate she’s probay beating herself up over it now anyway.

Jkjello

Posted at 5:38 PM on August 10, 2012

It’s crying not frying and probably*

lizzy

Posted at 6:27 PM on August 10, 2012

first off thats ur brother not your child a hell of a lot differrent! sure you love your brother but not your like you love you kid
and i hope this kills her forever am sorry how is that possible? i think almost EVER mother in the world has a crazy busy life and they dont just forget theree kids they forget dinner or packing lunches but not foretting your child while your at home!!!
i feel for her otheer kids and her husband but not for her