Leave Gabby Douglas’ Hair Alone! She Won Gold: Enough Said

Fri, August 10, 2012 11:11am EDT by 10 Comments
Gabby Douglas Hair
Getty

Our Olympic all-around gold medalist should be receiving praise for making America proud at the 2012 Olympic Games. Instead, she’s getting criticized on the way she wore her hair. Here’s what I have to say on this matter!

Few things get me really riled up. But after reading about Gabby Douglas, 16, getting criticized for the way she wore her hair during the gymnastics competitions, I cannot sit back and let this hating go on!

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, Gabby Douglas just made history for being a) the first African American women’s all-around gold medalist and b) part of the USA’s all-around gold medal team. These are some amazing accomplishments– feats that the average person could never dream of achieving.

If you watched Gabby and the rest of the girls on the US team compete, as I did, you would’ve seen young women handling themselves with tremendous grace under pressure. Their leaps and flips and turns were awe-inspiring.

The amount of grueling practice it took for Gabby (mind you at 16 years old) to get up in front of the world stage and compete with the poise and elegance of a woman well beyond her years is a feat in itself.

This brings me to the crux of my anger: To think that anyone would be focusing on her hair during her gold medal-winning performances is the most disrespectful thing I can imagine, and those haters should be ashamed of themselves.

When I first read about the Twitter-sphere debate about Gabby’s hair, I was aghast not only because people were fixating on her hair, but also because there was absolutely nothing to criticize! She wore her hair back in a ponytail exactly the way most of the other gymnasts wore their hair!

I barely have time to do my own hair in the morning. To think that Gabby would be expected to tidy her tresses in between events when she has to mentally prepare to flip, let alone walk, on a 4-inch beam is beyond me!

Gabby has devoted her short young life to achieving something most of the world could never do–who cares about her hair!!

What matters most is Gabby made America proud. She represented our country in the best way possible, had a brilliant smile on her face throughout the entire games, and has the grace of a champion in and out of the gym.

To be honest, I didn’t even notice her hair!

HollywoodLifers, do you agree with me about this ridiculous issue? Sound off below!

–Jennifer Tzeses

More Gabby Douglas News:

1. Gabby Douglas’ Father — Gymnast’s Dad Speaks Out On Child Neglect
  2. Gabby Douglas Wins Gold — Golden Girl’s $10 Million Earning Potential
  3. Gabby Douglas’ Mom Natalie Hawkins On Sacrificing For Her Daughter

london

Posted at 6:18 PM on August 14, 2012

4.9 people missed the dislike bar :)

Turner

Posted at 6:19 PM on August 11, 2012

I thought her hair looked great. How would it look any better?

Mal

Posted at 2:55 PM on August 11, 2012

I think it was an ignorant statement and out of line, mostly because her hair looked fine. First of all she is black, our hair looks like that, get over it. Secondly it wasn’t like she was on the red carpet, the girl was doing her thing on the high bars. However, I do think that people are making more out of this and giving it more attention then it deserves. Most of the comments were made by kids trolling on the internet looking for a reaction. Their also should not be a double standard when it comes to criticizing individuals. Even though they were wrong in their critic of her hair, I don’t think that people should be censored from making comments toward an individual with busted hair, if it is not based on race.It was wrong this time because it was clearly based on race.

Jennifer

Posted at 10:13 AM on August 11, 2012

I am African and we dont have the same hair as white people. Like just leave her hair alone. how does it affect u.

Lisa Marie Duncan

Posted at 5:58 PM on August 10, 2012

what the hell is wrong with people who cares about her hair which for the life of me i cant find any thing wrong with it be proud of a girl that did something great with her life focus on that

melangeofcultures

Posted at 4:38 PM on August 10, 2012

Honestly as a Black woman, I am astonished with all the fuss with Gabby’s hair. Those haters need to get a life! Pay those haters no mind Gabby, I am hugely proud of your accomplishments!

Ericka

Posted at 2:59 PM on August 10, 2012

FINALLY! A journalist with sense! I am an African American woman and I saw NOTHING wrong with Gabby’s hair! I was appalled, bewildered, and disgusted, when I found out that people were talking about her hair. THEN , to realize that it was mostly black women (who probably have yet to achieve anything near what Gabby has)! THEN, the sweet child just made MAJOR headlines, only for those headlines to be insultingly turned into what people were sayin about her hair and not what the ones (me) said about her amazing talent and achievement.! Thank you for this! THIS is what I wanted to see. Mature writers who wouldn’t stoop low enough to bash a little girl, but stand up with and for her! Thank YOU!

Ragan

Posted at 1:01 PM on August 10, 2012

What’s makes this even more pathetic is it’s Black Women who are doing it. As a black women with a daughter that plays sports, I was not only proud of Gabby but her entire team for making HISTORY (who, like you said, all wore their hair that way) with strength and poise. They have to wear it pulled back and not “styled” because of practices, workouts and performances. But when I started to read all the “why didnt they do her hair” nonsense, I wanted to cry.. Her mother is amazing to remind her “sisters” that hair was not the competition. She was awe-inspiring. We black women need to expose ourselves to other things that will expand our knowledge well beyond Hood, Hair and Booty-shaking. She is a young women doing positive things and was rewarded beyond any of our imaginations. Be proud she was an American and as an African America, be proud of her accomplishments and treat her as you would treat YOUR daughter.

californialady1939

Posted at 1:58 PM on August 10, 2012

I so agree with you. Gabby is the cutest, sweetest child I have seen in many a year and I will not have it. Her hair is perfect as she is and the people who are criticizing her need to deal with their own insecurities instead of placing them on such a wonderful accomplished little girl. How dare they!!!!!

Telisda

Posted at 3:04 PM on August 10, 2012

I am ashame to say that as a black woman, when I first saw her hair at the trials, I, too, commented negatively. But, I chastised myself and felt really stupid for focusing on themwrong thing, no matter how brief. As an American first and secondly, African American female I am so proud of her and her hair, as well as the whole USA team. By the way, no one commented on the African American track and field women who have weaves. So, put the hair issues, African American women to bed and cheer and congratulate Gabby and all the USA Athletes on for an exceptional job. Another thing that riled me up was the media attention placed on her mother financial situation and that of Ryan Lochte family. What place did that have on the olympic accomplishments of Gabby and Ryan?