Last week, 9-year-old Jack Ariola died from a brain eating amoeba virus caught while swimming in a Minnesota Lake — so sad. Read on for all the details.
Jack Ariola was swimming in Lily Lake in his home near Minnesota, escaping the blazing summer heat, when a brain-eating amoeba embedded itself in his head.
This disease, deemed very rare, has only been recorded in 125 cases in the United States — in the last 50 years. Jack was dead within days.
“Love your kids, you know,” Jack’s father, Jim Ariola, told KMSP-TV. “Whether they don’t want the hugs and kisses or not, just do it anyway because you just don’t know and it could really be your last time.”
In an odd twist, the same extremely rare infection killed Annie Elizabeth Bahneman, 7, in 2010. Public health officials believe she also contracted it swimming in Lily Lake.
For now, the lake is closed.
— Christopher Rogers
More HollyBaby news: