Wealthy Wife Shoots Son, 11, & Daughter, 9, While Husband Reads Downstairs

Tue, July 31, 2012 12:29pm EDT by 12 Comments
Courtesy of Fox2Now

The wife of a wealthy St. Louis businessman shot her two kids before killing herself, while her husband was alone downstairs. Both kids died at the hospital. Read on for the tragic details.

Cathy Murch shot and killed her two kids in their large St. Louis-area home before turning the gun on herself. Her husband, Mitch Murch II, called 911 and ran upstairs after hearing gunshots, and stumbled into a gruesome scene.

He discovered his wife lying on the kitchen floor, his 11-year-old son Mitch Murch III in a side room, and his 9-year-old daughter Mary Claire Murch on a bed in a second-story bedroom. They all had suffered gunshot wounds in an apparent suicide-murder by Cathy, according to the Daily Mail.

Cathy died at the scene in their affluent neighborhood, while Mitch III and Mary Claire were taken to local hospitals, where they were pronounced dead on arrival.

Although the father was taken to the police station and questioned, he has not been named a suspect. Police recovered a weapon at the scene, but no suicide note.

The family appeared to be happy, according to a pastor at the Mary Queen of Peace church, where the family members were very involved.

The church staff said in a statement: “we are shocked and saddened to hear of the tragic loss of life involving a family in one of our parish communities. [We] are working with grieving family members and the MQP parish family to cope with the aftermath of this tragedy.”

What a tragedy HollyMoms. Tell us what you think in the comments below.

– Christina Stiehl

More HollyBaby news:

1. ‘Kidnap Mom’ Gets 12 Years In Prison For Stealing Baby 25 Years Ago
  2. Mom Mistakenly Dragged Away By Police After Husband Shoots Kids
  3. Should Baby Formula Be Hidden In Hospitals To Force Moms To Breastfeed? Mayor Bloomberg Says Yes

Michelle

Posted at 2:35 AM on August 2, 2012

How come he never heard the 2 other gunshots? Theres more to the story here, that no one is saying

Aimee Kwiatkowski

Posted at 4:11 PM on July 31, 2012

All of you need to wake up from la la land.

Adore my-kids

Posted at 2:20 PM on July 31, 2012

Aimee you.are very ignorant to make such a dumb comment how.could anyone justify tht. I feel sry for the children, n father….how a mother could do this to her children is beyond me, but I don’t know…nor can I comment on why she did this. I love my daughters very much, and cnt see my life with out them. May god bless those children. But aimee keep your mouth shut with your ignorant comments

Aimee Kwiatkowski

Posted at 4:02 PM on July 31, 2012

MichelleWW

Posted at 1:10 PM on July 31, 2012

Weird. How could he not have heard the very first shot? Sounds fishy…..

Aimee Kwiatkowski

Posted at 1:04 PM on July 31, 2012

This just shows that money doesn’t but happiness nor does it buy a seldom person. Obviously theres something wrong with the husband because the only way she saw ought of the marriage was to kill herself and her children, this shows that the husband was very controlling and probably abusive she thought she was protecting her kids and herself by shooting them and getting her away from her husband.

Katy S

Posted at 1:21 PM on July 31, 2012

Aimee, obviously you must be about 12? You have no idea what you’re talking about. How dare you.

Aimee Kwiatkowski

Posted at 4:06 PM on July 31, 2012

Where you living in that house?? Did you know what was going on, this is my opinion and you have no right to attack me on it and you are a bully. There’s a reason to why she shot herself and her kids. And what he didn’t her the first gone shot go off, that really shows how much he loves them. You must be a rich person, why don’t you go live on the other side of the white picket fence. Obviously you must be rich and ignorant and no I’m not 12 and I’m actually very far in age from that number. How dare you?!

Emily Dawson

Posted at 1:57 PM on July 31, 2012

What a nasty, ignorant comment. This happened about a mile from my home, and I know the family. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Aimee Kwiatkowski

Posted at 4:08 PM on July 31, 2012

How I’m I ignorant?? Where you living in that house?? Did you know what was going on, this is my opinion and you have no right to attack me on it and your the bully and the ignorant one. There’s a reason to why she shot herself and her kids. And what he didn’t her the first gone shot go off, that really shows how much he loves them. If you really knew the family then you could see she wasn’t happy in the relationship. Living in a house with someone if far different from living a mile away from someone. You obviously don’t know the whole story therefor you are the ignorant one.

Lisa

Posted at 5:13 AM on August 1, 2012

You are so pathetic and ignorant!! Your “opinion” was very offensive. You did not know what was going on in that house yet YOU are the one you had the nerve to say that the husband was abusive? How much of a hypocrite are you? How are you going to say that others do not know what went on in that house, yet you were the one who stated that the husband must have been abusive.

Yea, I’m sure that is exactly what it was Aimee. You knew he was abusive right?! No you did not, so next time keep your opinions to yourself and do not be a hypocrite when others attack you for being immature! Also, please go back to school and learn more vocabulary. You repeated yourself in all of your replies!

Aimee Kwiatkowski