‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: The Girls Unlock Maya’s Secret Website

Tue, July 31, 2012 10:09pm EST by 27 Comments
Courtesy of ABC Family

Plus, Emily learns more about ‘that night’ and the girls basically trade boyfriends for a week.

I know I can’t talk to the dead or anything, but I’m pretty sure Maya (Bianca Lawson) was rolling her in grave during the July 31 episode of Pretty Little Liars. Not only did Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) help the girls hack into her personal website, but Emily (Shay Mitchell) also spent the hour getting cozy with a certain red-headed ex-girlfriend. All together, I’d say it was not the best week for Rosewood’s ageless ghost.

OK, let’s start with the website: Much to Hanna’s (Ashley Benson) dismay, Spencer (Troian Bellisario) enlisted Caleb’s help to break into Maya’s mysterious website — “Maya Space,” as she so cleverly called it — and got a lot more than she bargained for. Seriously, I can’t be the only person who saw major sparks flying between Spencer and Caleb during their little hacking adventure. They’re both smart and sassy with beautiful, flowing locks. The only bad part about Caleb and Spencer potentially hooking up, as a friend pointed out to me on Twitter, is their couple name: “Cancer.”

Hanna also found herself in a surprising position this week: defending Mona (Janel Parrish)! With a little help from Wren (Julian Morris), she petitioned to have the “A” Team’s leader stay in Rosewood, rather than have her transferred to a larger mental health facility out of town. Don’t you think it’s weird that Spencer and Hanna basically swapped boys this week? Just sayin’…

Meanwhile, somewhere in the woods, Paige (Lindsey Shaw) dropped a big ol’ bomb on Emily (Shay Mitchell): They were together the night Alison’s body disappeared! Apparently Emily showed up (schwasted!) on Paige’s doorstep, kissed her, then disappeared. But rather than staying mad at her for keeping that secret for so long, Emily kissed Paige — again! — and joined her for some late-night synchronized swimming. (And no, that’s not lesbian code. They really swam together. In a pool.)

Lastly, Aria (Lucy Hale) took a major step in her relationship with Ezra (Ian Harding) this week by meeting his mother — a decision she immediately regretted when she finally got some one-on-one time with her. “Crazy” doesn’t even begin to describe this woman, who actually attempted to pay Aria to stop dating her son. She’s like the devil … if the devil was super fancy and wore form-fitting pantsuits.

Other points worth “A” closer look:

>>> How creepy is Maya’s cousin, Nate? Seriously, I can’t tell if he wants to hug Emily or strangle her. Either way, she and Paige better watch their backs!

>>> Toby (Keegan Allen) needs to stop sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong. He got super uppity with Spencer this week, and I see nothing but bad things in his future if he keeps meddling.

So… What kinds of secrets do you think are hidden on ‘Maya Space?’ Are you as suspicious of Nate as I am? And how do you feel about Emily getting close to Paige again? Drop me a comment with all your thoughts and predictions!

— Andy Swift

More Pretty Little Liars:

1. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Video: Are Spencer & Caleb Heading For A Hookup?
  2. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Recap: Mona Drops A ‘Crazy’ Clue About Maya’s Death
  3. ‘Pretty Little Liars’ Wins Choice TV Drama At 2012 Teen Choice Awards

Lilian

Posted at 7:40 AM on December 29, 2012

Thats good because its from Emily that Pagie was able to come out and even tell her parents that she is gay,infact she is her first love and pagie see no one else but Emily. Pagie treated Emily bad because she didnt want to accept that she was like her

Lilian

Posted at 7:16 AM on December 29, 2012

Tasha

Posted at 2:47 AM on November 1, 2012

Thanks for finally writing about >Pretty Little Liars Recap:
Emily And Paige Kiss – Season 3 Episode 8 – Hollywood Life <Liked it!

Remote Thermometer

Kris

Posted at 6:27 PM on September 25, 2012

PAIGE SUCKS, MAYA RULES. We want Maya back alive for Emily.

marieckaire

Posted at 3:58 PM on September 4, 2012

gave emily and paige a break guys …they deserve each other come on that poor girl willing to die for emily…if that is love i dont know what it is…

Kj

Posted at 1:14 AM on August 8, 2012

I HATE that Emily and Paige are back together bring Maya back and if that is impossible then bring Samara back PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ketchieplayer123

Posted at 3:22 AM on August 7, 2012

The thing that really bugs me is how people think nate is a killer or somehow involved in Maya’s death.For me it wouldnt make any sense. It’s illogical! Now if the Marlene king were to change the show and find a way to keep Maya character alive I would be thrilled. I just really hope we at least get to see Maya’s funeral.

swaag

Posted at 5:45 PM on September 21, 2012

well… thats what i was thinking too.. but the last episode prouved us all wrong:)

skyMackenzie

Posted at 4:48 PM on August 2, 2012

And whatever happened to Aria brother.?? He was Going through a phase breaking into houses and stealing. He even wore the same all black hoodyA wears. All of a sudden that just stop? He suspicious Still. With or without any T.V time.

Goldengirl

Posted at 3:11 PM on August 2, 2012

I was definitely bummed about Paige and Maya, and a small part of me feels that Maya is still alive. For a dead girl, she sure is getting recalled alot. I feel that Nate has good intentions but he’s getting a bit creepy. Is any one else getting bad vibes off of Wren (doctor guy)? I don’t think he’s as innocent as he’s coming across. I’m so frustrated with Spence not telling Toby and she’s working on loosing him just like Hana lost Caleb. Why would Spencers mom try to get rid of a witness that could keep Garret in jail. She’s got something to gain from helping him out and I can’t wait to find out. Maybe “A” Is threatening her too.

Anonymous

Posted at 8:30 AM on August 2, 2012

It’s about time Paige and Emily get together!!!!!!!

marieckaire

Posted at 3:56 PM on September 4, 2012

come on guys gave emily and paige a break i think they deserve a chance, i think paige proven enought already how much she love emily. that poor girl do anything for emily . ANYTHING….shes been bullied… judge by everyone .worst shes been accused of hurting Emily….but how can she do that when shes willing to die for emily..unselfish that is…paige …shes even talked to the police so emily have a chance to be with her friends…she give way when at those time she also need emily for herself beacuse they both traumatized of what nate did…

anonymous

Posted at 1:18 PM on August 1, 2012

A is more than one person god don’t you people pay attention Mona was just a pawn

cookie

Posted at 12:55 PM on August 1, 2012

y did emily have to start dating paige, nooooooooooo emily she probably on team -A, oh yeah an its obvios that -A isnt just one person theyre obviosly a team, hannah yhu need to fix things with caleb, and fast, watch out for mya’s cousin he’s a lil odd. aria yhu didnt mess up ezra life all yhu need to do is hold him and love him. spencer theres nothing really to say about yhu, but yhu need to slow down your moving to fast, let your mom do her job, and yhu need to hold on to tobey hes a good man———BY THE WAY CALEB AN TOBEY NEED TO KNOW ABOUT -A NOWWW!!!!

skyMackenzie

Posted at 12:09 PM on August 1, 2012

I agree with yessi. Emily and Paige???? Worst hookup in rosewood history…Hey but now that I think about it… Paige is pretty tough. If A Started threatening paige for being with Emily, this might be good because Paige is a tough gurl and she might beat the A team at their own game. Hmm. I think she is the type to take matters into her own hands.. hm K ANYWAYS I think Emily is the weakest link. She is too vulnerable and too trusting. A bit desperate at times.

monitalatina

Posted at 10:49 AM on August 1, 2012

Did emily have like a week when she was drunk?? first she met jenna who took her in her car then she met holden and they sat in a cafe and then she went to paige and at last she ended up infront of alison’s grave seriously this is too much to do in one night considering most of the night was with the girls…

ASM

Posted at 10:15 AM on August 1, 2012

I think the Liars don’t tell their parents for fear of A hurting them. Like the warning Hannah got when she was going to tell Caleb. However I think Aria should tell Ezra’s mom, at least parts of A threatening Ezra. Mrs. Fitz seems like the type whose on another level of manipluator than A and would eat him/her/them for breakfast. Or would come after Mrs. Fitz, which could knock her off her high horse. Maybe stop her from trying to break up Aria and Ezra. Seems like a potential win-win situations.
Spencer and Caleb, seems like a way better fit than Spencer-Toby and Caleb-Hannah. However Toby was smart enough to realize than even with Mona and Garett locked up, there is still something going on with the liars and wills find out on his own.

Natalie

Posted at 11:28 PM on July 31, 2012

I don’t understand why won’t the girls just come clean and tell their parents or someone about the new A?? everyone knows about the old A so why can’t they say and show people the texts??

Andy Swift

Posted at 12:57 AM on August 1, 2012

SO MANY of these girls’ problems would be solved if they just came clean. I don’t even know what they’re trying to hide anymore!

Chel

Posted at 2:51 AM on August 1, 2012

because thats the easy way out and then there would be no show!

Andy Swift

Posted at 9:44 AM on August 1, 2012

I guess that’s the “logical” approach lol

Monique Bethany

Posted at 10:47 PM on July 31, 2012

Seriously has Emily forgotten that Paige tried to drown her??? How can she even get close to a pool with her never mind swim with her! Mama Fitz is really one crazy lady she’s gonna ti make huge trouble for Ezria wonder if they can survive it. Tonight Maya was made out to be the bad guy here, I don’t think she was all that bad! But I’m still keeping my hopes alive that she will somehow return to Rosewood alive and well

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:16 PM on July 31, 2012

You think Maya was really made out to look like the bad guy? She’s definitely mysterious, but I won’t say “bad.”

As for Paige, yeah… What is wrong with Emily? I’m fine with her forgiving Paige, but she’s CRAZY to think they can have a normal, healthy relationship. Especially when there are pools involved!

Megan

Posted at 10:47 PM on July 31, 2012

Did anyone else notice how Caleb had all of these fancy things as Spencer pointed out? Did it really come from his mother or was it from the check Jason wrote for the body? Just a thought!

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:15 PM on July 31, 2012

Oh, wow, good catch! There’s been a lot of weird money-related stuff going on lately: Jason’s check, Ezra’s “car” profits, and now this…

Yessy_Eli

Posted at 10:29 PM on July 31, 2012

Well Andy my friend, what can I say. I wish I was Mona so I could go psycho Bitch crazy on Paige. Seriously I’m all for Emily moving on but with Paige  oh Hell no! I’m dissapointed with PLL, fans want EMAYA but yet they gives us Paily. My heart is shattered once again. IMK replied back to one of my tweets Emayans should watch. Oh yes she Certanly wanted everyone to see the PAILY action. Gosh I wished I was blind like Jenna was for that moment GROSS. Anyway I still hope maya is Alive and we will have a love triangle but of course Maya is dead.

Andy Swift

Posted at 11:18 PM on July 31, 2012

Hey, maaaaybe Maya is alive! This is PLL we’re talking about here. Never give up hope until we see her lying in a casket, I say! lol