‘True Blood’ Recap: A New Vampire Threatens Sookie & Bill Goes Bad

Mon, July 30, 2012 12:00am EST by 11 Comments

The human-vampire war is almost upon us! Do you think Bill is really evil, or just playing along?

Remember a few weeks ago when I said Bill (Stephen Moyer) was going to embrace the Authority’s evil, human-nomming ways and everybody called me a Bill-hater? It looks like Team Bill is going to have some serious defending to do, as that’s exactly what happened on the July 29 episode of True Blood. Despite Eric’s (Alexander Skarsgard) best efforts, he wasn’t able to coax the Good King away from Lilith’s army.

Fresh off their Lilith-induced high — Russell (Denis O’Hare) seemed to particularly enjoy the concept of “God’s tits” — the Authority vampires got to work on their plan to eradicate the human race. (It was kind of a quick jump if you ask me, but I guess I’m obviously Team Human on this issue.) Bill came up with the sick-but-brilliant idea to bomb all five True Blood factories, forcing vampires — even those most committed to mainstreaming — to feed on humans. Equally surprising: Salome (Valentina Cervi) had sex with no one this week.

Back in Bon Temps, Jason (Ryan Kwanten) thwarted Sookie’s (Anna Paquin) attempt to “dump” her fairy power, as she’d need her magic to figure out which vampire killed their parents. He also gave Sookie a big speech about how she never would have met Bill if she was “normal,” which obviously means Jason stopped watching this show after season one, or else he’d know that Bill isn’t exactly perfect for her. But I digress…

Sookie’s fairy buddies helped send her back to the night of her parents’ death, but she blew everyone’s minds — literally — when she developed a psychic connection with an unknown vampire. She managed to learn his name while chillin’ in his brain, though no one present seemed to recognize it. So did the madness end there? Of course not. A floating vampire head spoke to Sookie in her bathroom — I’ll give $5 to anyone who didn’t giggle at his appearance — to give her a chipper heads-up that he’s coming for her.

(Lucky girl. Sookie gets all the vampires!)

Meanwhile, Jesus (Kevin Alejandro) got some closure — again — once Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) healed his sewn-up lips and got the f**k away from that crazy pregnant lady, but poor LaLa’s problems were far from over. Arlene (Carrie Preston) asked him to “pretend” to contact the spirit of the Iraqi woman Terry (Todd Lowe) killed, but s**t got real when the ghost lady actually showed up. She kindly informed the gang that Terry or Patrick (Scott Foley) needs to die in order to lift her curse, and honestly, I wouldn’t shed a tear if either one of them bit it. I guess I’d rather see Patrick go, just so Arlene wouldn’t be sad, but whoever will get that ridiculous fire monster off my TV every week can die ASAP. (Please and thank you!)

But the best part of this week’s episode — and definitely the one I’ll be reliving on YouTube for days and days — was Sam Trammell playing both Sam and Luna (Janina Gavankar), thanks to the magic of skin-walking. Not only did Sam, the actor, capture Janina’s mannerisms perfectly, but the image of Sam holding himself(?) on the couch was so incredibly gif-worthy. (Speaking of which, I can’t be the only one who was hoping for a Sam-on-Sam kiss. Like, open mouth. Lots of tongue.)

Maybe someday…

Other ‘bites’ worth discussing:

>>> Alcide (Joe Manganiello) had his first full-on sex scene with Rikki. It was kind of hot. There was a lot of grunting. Then Alcide was almost killed by J.D. during their pack-master scuffle. He’s fine now, though, so you can continue not paying attention to them wolves.

>>> Pam (Kristin Bauer Van Straten) is acting very differently now that she’s free from Eric’s watchful eye. She tied up Tara’s (Rutina Wesley) racist high-school nemesis and let her new baby vamp feed on her. In fact, Pam even gave her the cute nickname “unpaid food whore.”

>>> The hillbillies captured Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) and tried to make Hoyt (Jim Parrack) kill her, but he couldn’t go through with it. She escaped, but Hoyt wasn’t so lucky. Someone’s got him at gunpoint now.

Do you think Bill is really ‘evolving’ with the Authority, or just playing along for now? Do you have any new theories about the identity of the Stackhouses’ murderer? And how badly do you wish we could ALWAYS have two Sams like this? Drop me a comment with your reviews and predictions!

— Andy Swift

More True Blood:

1. ‘True Blood’ Scoop: Pam Still Actively Seeking ‘Revenge’ Against Sookie
  2. ‘True Blood’ Recap: Lilith’s True Nature Is Revealed To Eric
  3. ‘True Blood': Michael McMillian Talks Steve Newlin’s Maker & More Scoop

Amy Peters

Posted at 6:00 PM on July 30, 2012

For all its absurdity (and yes, enough with the smoke monster already!), I loved this episode –Sam Trammell exhibiting Luna’s mannerisms was hilarious. Bill’s going bad (when he’s his most interesting); Eric’s good. All is right in the world. & Pam’s interactions with Tara were so satisfying (much love for Kristin Bauer van Straten’s deadpan delivery!). I enjoyed it – plus I was excited to see a new cover of the opening song “Bad Things” this week – from Katrina Parker (the voice): http://youtu.be/vm88RbRNq7w The music on or inspired by this show is so good. This is the definitely the summer of True Blood.

Beth

Posted at 1:38 AM on August 6, 2012

awesome cover!! i don’t what the voice, but wow, katrina’s voice is cool.

asfandancer

Posted at 1:55 PM on July 30, 2012

Of course any fan of TB has to know that it will turn out that Mr. Perfect in the eyes of AB and Company will only be playing along so he can once again jump in and save the day. No surprise here since it is still basically “The Bill Show”. Actually I like him better as a sanctimonious pontificating bad guy rather then his usual pious moralizing good guy. How come Alcide loses so many of his fights? He is suppose to be so big and buff. He got beat up in season three at that club and then again last night. As far as his roll in the hay with Rikki (I guess that’s her name I don’t pay much attention to the wolves) he’s way too much the Neanderthal Man. Would someone allow him to smile just once. Two Sams was cute, but I am really not terribly interested in that storyline, and would love to see Luna bite the dust. I have always liked Sam, but he seems to get paired with really shallow women. The fire monster has to go: who slew Auntie Roo looks more to me like the vampire who try’s to take over Fangtasia, but knowing the things they have done to Eric in the past makes me very afraid: LaLa is becoming a bore but he did have some of his mojo back in the seance: Pam is always Pam and that’s why we love her. Unfortunately no matter how bad it gets I will have to stay with this train wreck to the bitter end just to watch the scenes with Eric and the scenes with Pam. AB, GET THEM TOGETHER AGAIN ALREADY.

tanya

Posted at 1:09 PM on July 30, 2012

totally bored with this lilith story line only thing interesting right now on the show is Tara and Pam relationship and Alcide storyline.

Igor

Posted at 9:38 AM on July 30, 2012

I think that Bill is not “evolving” but just playing along for now but this story arc is so annoying and boring, actually, lately True Blood is so uninteresting. I only enjoy watching Tara and am also intrigued (I must admit) by the Sookie and Jason’s mystery murder story.

But the whole Authority – Lilith thing is just too stupid to be enjoyable and the killing scene in the bar was just RI-DI-CU-LOUS!

I like Sam but I don’t really like him with Luna. And I don’t like having two Sams anyway.

Alcide is super ultra hot but his story arc sucks as well, they should just film him naked and that’s it.

I’m sick of Jessica and Hoyt and I agree, whoever has the power to get us rid of the Lost monster can die any time starting now but I must admit, Lafayette is still great, I mean, what would we do without his “bitches”, manierisms and his fashion sense. I just love him.

Dsg

Posted at 3:05 AM on July 30, 2012

I think the ghost vampire who killed spookiest parents is
Bill. It looked just like him. As for Terry who cares. I like the Pam and Tara relationship. I like the fairys as well. Eric is on to something.
Maybe he will be the one to protect Sookie.
The shifter story is dumb as hell. Love Lala

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:55 AM on July 30, 2012

They did such a good job of hiding that vampire’s face. I literally went “It’s Russell! No, wait, it’s Eric! No, wait, it’s Bill!”

Really excited to find out who it is!

mvk

Posted at 2:29 AM on July 30, 2012

Andy, I am with you on a lot of things. Except now I am really losing interest in the show. There is just too much going on. I am not interested in the Terry fire crap anymore. Don’t like where Pam is headed or Bill and the authority crap. Even Jason’s crap is getting boring. In the books, the water faries killed their parents, now they are saying it’s vamps. I’m just losing interest in the show. Too much crap going on.

Andy Swift

Posted at 8:56 AM on July 30, 2012

You’re not interested in the Terry fire crap “anymore”? Were you EVER? lol … I think that has to be the biggest waste of time this show has ever come up with.

Tyler

Posted at 4:49 PM on July 30, 2012

lmao that’s the point of TB. There is always ALOT going on and you have to watch several times to catch everything. Only retards think this show is getting boring. True fans dont give a fuck what happens as long as it’s entertaining.

cinephilactic

Posted at 12:58 AM on July 30, 2012

I think Bill’s intentions are meant to be ambiguous, but I do think this is all a ruse to get closer to – and kill – Salome. Trouble is, I don’t really care anymore. The Authority storyline, despite Bill’s interesting suggestion, just feels like a distraction at this point.

In our review, we break down the storylines that are working for us and those that aren’t. Terry’s is still #1 in the “Not” category (along with Alcide and the wolves, as you suggest, Andy). Interested in Sookie’s, Jess/Hoyt and everything Tara & Pam, even if they now feel like they’re on a different show. I could listen to those two ladies crack jokes all night long!