Should Baby Formula Be Hidden In Hospitals To Force Moms To Breastfeed? Mayor Bloomberg Says Yes

Mon, July 30, 2012 10:10am EDT by 36 Comments
FameFlynet/Time

Mayor Bloomberg wants to keep baby forumla under lock and key in New York hospitals to pressure new moms to breastfeed! Read on for all the details.

Michael Bloomberg  is demanding that New York City hospitals stop handing out free baby formula in an effort to promote breastfeeding among new moms. Although formula will still be available, mothers who request it will need an acceptable medical excuse for choosing the bottle over the breast.

The New York City Health Department will monitor the number of bottles of formula given out at hospitals. The restriction is part of the Latch On NYC initiative, which was launched to promote the health benefits of breastfeeding over formula, according to the Daily Mail.

Starting on September 3, 27 out of 40 hospitals in New York will enforce the terms of the initiative. Mothers who choose to use formula will not only need to provide a legitimate medical excuse, they will also receive a lecture from staff on the benefits of breast-feeding.

Hospitals will also have to document the medical reason behind each bottle of formula given out.

“Human breast milk is best for babies and mothers,” health commissioner Thomas Farley said when the campaign launched. “With this initiative, the New York City health community is joining together to support mothers who choose to breastfeed.”

Do YOU think of the Latch On initiative HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More HollyBaby news:

1. ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Shooter Claims 13th Victim — So Sad
  2. Olympic Medalist Nastia Liukin Helps Dora (And You) Explore Gymnastics
  3. Lamar Odom Confesses To Khloe Kardashian: I’m Not Ready For A Baby

Annibell

Posted at 4:26 PM on March 23, 2013

Now if only he could instate a test for people to be allowed to conceive, that would do the whole world some good! Parenting is not a right, it is a privilege.

Jesslyn C

Posted at 4:39 PM on August 31, 2012

It is unacceptable to me to expect a mother to have a valid medical reason not to breast feed. I am not comfortable with it or I don’t want to do it is an acceptable reason. I am all for cutting down or back on free baby formula samples but lets not start locking them up and forcing mothers to breast feed. It is a personal choice, yes choice, and the government should never take that choice away.

Carla

Posted at 6:20 PM on August 5, 2012

If they ever tried to do that in my state (WI) not only would I make sure to pack my own formula BEFORE heading to the hospital I would be telling the nurses/Dr.s to kiss off. I am a mother of 4. With my first 3 I TRIED to breast feed. I had the lactation specialists try to help. My oldest child was to early and I didnt produce enough milk, my 2 child wanted nothing to do witht he breat milk. Either from the breast or expressed in a bottle. My 3rd child, well we just never succeceeded with the latch. We tried and tried but all it did was upset baby cause they werent getting enough to eat quick enough and me becuase I felt like a failure. With my 4th I didnt even bother and honestly….. It made the whole experiance more pleasant and easier. Am I a bad mother because I was not able to breast feed? NO! Are my children sickly, malnourished, or any other problems? NO! Bloomburg and anyone else who tries to say otherwise should be slapped for stupididty. It is not weather you breast feed or not that makes you a good parent. It is how you do the job as a whole. And you know what…. I am darned good momma.

Celeste Jimenez

Posted at 10:36 AM on August 5, 2012

Tell Bloomburg to get the hell out of our lives!!!

torimili

Posted at 9:20 AM on August 3, 2012

“Mothers who request it will need an acceptable medical excuse for choosing the bottle over the breast.” As a pro breast feeding mom, even I can see this is ridiculous! Some women may simply not WANT to breastfeed and this will only cause resentment towards the baby. Leave it to a man to make a decision like this.

minisha

Posted at 1:47 PM on July 31, 2012

I would love to know if all these formula feeding parents would still of had babies if the choice for formula wasnt there…..??? Cos pretty sure its only been within the last century that its been around so unless u breastfed you would have no other option. Maybe thats the problem these days, there is too much choice which allows people to make selfish decisions rather than what is actually best for the child.

hmm

Posted at 10:12 AM on August 24, 2012

very well said!

Mel

Posted at 10:28 AM on July 31, 2012

I’m shocked at this, to be honest. I don’t dispute the benefits of breastfeeding, however, I still believe mothers should have the right to choose to use formula, regardless of the reason. This is not child abuse or neglect we’re talking about here, and moms who choose to feed their babies formula should not be made to feel guilty for their choice. Formula fed infants are still getting proper nutrition, and in some instances, better than breasted babies. If breast feeding moms aren’t eating a healthy diet (and many aren’t), then their babies aren’t either. I did not breast feed my daughter, not because I couldn’t, but because I made an educated choice, and I can tell you my child did not suffer in any way. She was, and is now, at 8 years old, a happy, healthy child…healthier than most, actually. She was a preemie, and was on preemie formula until she was 9 months old, and actually, I think that was best for her…I was exhausted and overwhelmed after having an emergency c-section at 34 weeks, and having to breast feed would have put me over the edge. Plus, I was too tired and overwhelmed and sore to care what I ate. If it hadn’t been for my mom, I wouldn’t have eaten much of anything those first couple of weeks! I made the choice that what right for me, and I don’t feel guilty about it. My child was, and is, well loved, healthy, and well adjusted. To all you breast feeding nazis out there, how would you feel if someone came along & suddenly turned it around and said that new research shows that formula is best, and you can’t breast feed unless you have a medical reason to? You would still want the CHOICE to do what YOU feel is healthiest for your child, right? That’s what we ALL want…to CHOOSE what we feel is best and healthiest for our children. It’s not acceptable in NY, or anywhere else to take that choice away. Period.

Dawn Dobbins Hazlett

Posted at 9:33 PM on July 30, 2012

If we have to have a prescription for formula, pharmacies will take longer to fill life saving prescriptions and insurance rates will go up. As a middle age (early 40s) woman, I have to pay higher insurance rates because, despite having my tubes tied, I am deemed a to be of child bearing age. Once formula becomes by prescription only, my rates will increase again. Thank God, I don’t live in NYC and never plan to. This guy is crazy. My body, my family, my right. Formula IS NOT a drug and should not be treated as such.

juno

Posted at 7:04 PM on July 30, 2012

this is how it starts then they will try to make it illegal to formula feed your own child

juno

Posted at 6:55 PM on July 30, 2012

what the hell is wrong with the world today where you cant even make your own choices i thought there was this thing called freedom of choice we can abort(kill) a baby but we have no say in if we breastfeed or bottlefeed as the one going through the labor and carrying the child for 9 months it should be our own choice how we choose to feed our child the key word is choice its not a choice when someone chooses for you this man should go to hell and make choices for himself not others especially a women IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE ANY MAN TELLS ME WHAT TO DO

hmm

Posted at 10:22 AM on August 24, 2012

were your doctors and your spouse all women? I’m sure they told you a lot to do and you listened very well. hell must be mighty chilly and with that attitude, someone failed with you. i offer you my condolences and anyone else whose parents put the time and effort into raising them properly. i hope your children do well raising themselves and don’t suffer too much from your neglect. try taking some time out from your oh so busy life to sit down and work with your child instead of claiming they need to be medicated to slow them down because you can’t handle them. it is all about choices. you can do it the easy way or you can be a real mother.

amber

Posted at 6:45 PM on July 30, 2012

no one but the mother has the right to choose if she breastfeeds or not who the hell is this man to force mothers to “choose” breastfeeding YES it is better for the baby but so what some women dont feel comfortable breastfeeding or dont have the time to pump or it hurts them NO ONE SHOULD make a choice for someone else what the hell happened to being able to make your own choices forget that NO ONE will make choices for me and my child but me!!! what a JERK

minisha

Posted at 5:41 PM on July 30, 2012

This is a fab idea. Those of you saying what if you cant or druggy mothers etc they will be the ones getting the formula for medical reasons!!! why give your better 2nd best when if you medically dont need to. As a mummy that bf for a year and with a baby with a tongue tie and didnt latch well for nearly a week and a few hits of mastitus I really believe most women can do it. Many just clearly dont want to…you’re lucky you dont live in 3rd world countries were you cant afford that yucky stuff!!!

Jesslyn C

Posted at 4:48 PM on August 31, 2012

I am with you Minisha, breast is best. All of my children were breastfed. I am a huge fan of breastfeeding. However, it is not my child so it is not my choice. A parent’s ability to choose what to feed their child is a fundamental right. If we want to regulate what parent’s can feed their children then I better be seeing a medical necessity requirement attached to McDonald’s first. Just because a woman can breastfeed doesn’t mean they want to. What is the point of making someone breastfeed their child against their will? It would just cause resentment and problems forming the mother/child bond. I am glad you enjoyed breastfeeding and stuck with it, I did, too. But that does not give us the right to decide if other women breastfeed or not.

S

Posted at 5:26 PM on July 30, 2012

I applaude him! This is excellent news! Mayor Bloomberg is promoting the recommendations of the World Health Organization and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) that babies need to have only breastmilk for the first 6 months of life and up to 2 years of age with other foods. The first few days are critical in establishing milk production. Way to go!!

As the AAP says, breastfeeding is not a lifestyle choice. It is a public health issue.

Helloworld1

Posted at 5:23 PM on July 30, 2012

Just do what I did- take your own formula. I made the decision not to breast feed bc my hubby had no time off & would not be helping at nights bc if his job. So to save myself & help me be a better parent- I decided it was formula. I do not think this will help at all- lots of people do not want to & some cannot- my sis n law tried & tried but could not. This is gov’t once again forcing themselves on us!

Jenn C

Posted at 4:14 PM on July 30, 2012

Way to go NY! As a breastfeeding mama who had a LOT of trouble getting started and was still able to Breastfeed (18 months and going strong), this is AWESOME! Formula was NEVER designed nor invented to be a “choice”. It was invented to save babes who would have otherwise died absent any other viable option. Formula serves a purpose TRUE, but IMO a prescription should be required. Lets buck up as mothers, heck as human beings, put the needs of our children before our own selfish wants and feed our babes the way nature intended, via our breasts. If you CAN’T breastfeed, OK get a prescription for formula and there you are (although medically speaking only approx 4% of women “can’t” breastfeed, and as I myself was diagnosed with insufficient glandular tissue and told I “couldn’t” exclusively breastfeed, I call bullsh$t on a large number of persons who say they “can’t” because I in fact COULD it just took a LOT more work)

Alli

Posted at 10:54 PM on July 30, 2012

Who are you to tell other mothers they need a prescription for formula?! There are millions of women each with their own situation and they need to make the choice that they know is best for them AND their baby. It is their choice and the government or anyone else for that matter has no right to decide that. You should be ashamed of yourself for seriously believing that that the government should make these laws and just have more power over us. It is a mothers right to do what she wants and she should not be judged for it and the government should certainly not be plain any part of it. What if it was decided that you must use formula exclusively? How would you feel knowing that you have no choice. As long as the baby is getting the nutrition it needs, it is no ones choice but the mother.

Jesslyn C

Posted at 4:53 PM on August 31, 2012

So, there are a lot of things that were invented for one purpose and are used for another. Just because that is how formula started out doesn’t mean that is how it should be used now. It is just not the place of anyone but Mom to decide how to feed her baby.

Jane

Posted at 2:25 AM on September 2, 2012

How nice of you to guilt and shame a whole generation of mothers who make choices different from your own. You must feel REALLY good about yourself. So, I look forward to you visiting each and every home where the mother is a single parent who has to work two shifts to make ends meet for her kids, who does not have time to breastfeed her baby. Thanks Jenn C!

kelsi

Posted at 1:48 PM on July 30, 2012

Wow…how DARE a man of all people try to enforce this. Glad I don’t live in ny…. If someone tried to force this on me…theyd get an earfull..

Courtney

Posted at 12:01 PM on July 30, 2012

this will backfire big time what about a drug addicted mother or a child who can’t latch on and suckle their mothers breast for nurshiment. this is another case of big brother telling mothers how to raise their kids. the goverment should butt out of how women chose to raise their kids

Kate

Posted at 12:26 PM on July 30, 2012

I don’t think it will backfire because those instances you just named are medical related issues..

Jayde

Posted at 1:04 PM on July 30, 2012

It says if there is a medical reason, there will be formula available. I’m not sure how I feel about the fact that they are telling women they HAVE to breastfeed. I’m all about breastfeeding…I’ve been breastfeeding my son for 6 months now. But I don’t understand why he (dare I say again HE) feels the right to tell women how to feed their children. Is it really a health issue? Or a money issue?

KATIE

Posted at 1:43 PM on July 30, 2012

Did you read the article?? That is clearly a medical and/or an excuseable situation!

Kat

Posted at 11:49 AM on July 30, 2012

I think it’s a good idea/decision. You can still decide whether you will use a formula or to continue breastfeeding as long as you are out of the hospital. Since nurse,doctor or any in medical fields promotes health and well being. there are lots of benefits when you breastfeed your baby compared to formula,.

Pam

Posted at 11:45 AM on July 30, 2012

Wtf?!?!? I can’t believe this Bs! It is the mothers choice, a lot of women have trouble breast feeding. What is America coming too? We have old men trying to make birth control and formula decisions for us. It’s none of their damn business! I thought America was all about freedom and choice, obviously it’s about how much money and power you have and try to hold over people. F him! I do believe breast feeding is best, but I don’t believe that anybody should be forced into it or feel ashamed for not choosing that.

Kelsey

Posted at 11:30 AM on July 30, 2012

Whats the world coming to?
I believe everyone should have a choice and more so when it comes to what is best for you & your baby!

tam

Posted at 11:11 AM on July 30, 2012

WOW, what a friggin JOKE! guess theres no more freedom of friggin choice!

Pam

Posted at 11:49 AM on July 30, 2012

Seriously! This really pisses me off! I’m tired of old men trying to make choices for us. If you don’t bleed or birth a child yourself then stay the F out of it, it’s not your damn business and certainly not your choice.

kris

Posted at 11:01 AM on July 30, 2012

I can choose to kill my baby by abortion but I can not choose if I want to breast or bottle feed??!!?!?

Brittany

Posted at 3:01 PM on July 30, 2012

Ridiculous! I think every woman in America has heard the “Breast is best” slogan, she doesn’t need a lecture. For whatever reason, a mother doesn’t choose to breastfeed is her business. As for me, I was molested and I cannot have anyone suck on my breasts, not even my baby. It brings back memories and it is far better that my child have a healthy mom psychologically and be formula fed. This would not be considered a valid medical excuse for Bloomberg, I’m sure. Since when can you abort a baby, but you cannot make the choice over what/how to feed your child and how to control your body?

B

Posted at 8:59 PM on August 4, 2012

I agree! NY is one of the states that does not require counseling for an abortion or a waiting period, but in NYC they will counsel if you choose not to breastfeed? I’ve breastfed all 5 of my children, but still find this over the top government involvement.

jj

Posted at 10:30 AM on July 30, 2012

We all know breast is best but a mother shouldn’t have to justify the use of formula. My wife had trouble breast feeding, she couldn’t produce enough milk, and we had to supplement with formula. She felt guilty, as a mother, about this and making her justify the use would have compounded things. I doubt few mother’s choose formula without a good reason.

ljm

Posted at 11:44 AM on July 30, 2012

Since when is Bloomberg in charge of my boobs?!