'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Kanima's Master Is Revealed

Tue, July 24, 2012 12:00am EDT by 67 Comments
Teen Wolf Episode 209

Plus: One of our favorites suffers a devastating loss, a terrifying evil returns, and Stiles battles a really big birthday present.

After the July 23 episode of Teen Wolf, I think it’s official: Lydia (Holland Roden) throws the best parties in Beacon Hills. I wouldn’t exactly call them ‘fun’ — because, you know, everybody either hallucinates or dies — but they’re definitely memorable.

Let’s get the biggest shocker out the way first: Matt (Stephen Lunsford) is the one controlling Jackson (Colton Haynes)! When Scott (Tyler Posey) and Stiles (Dylan O’Brien) saw that Matt couldn’t swim in Lydia’s pool, they put two and two together — the Kanima hates water and Matt’s a freakin’ psychopath — and reached their “a ha!” moment.

And now for the sad portion of tonight’s episode: Mrs. Argent (Eaddy Mays) decided she couldn’t live as a werewolf, and thusly had Mr. Argent (J.R. Bourne) kill her just as she was beginning to transform for the first time. Her death scene was the second most heartbreaking of tonight’s episode, lead only by Allison’s (Crystal Reed) arrival at the hospital. (Serious kudos to Crystal for actually reducing me to tears.)

Even though I never cared for Allison’s mom, and I don’t think we were really supposed to, I’m super bummed that she’s no longer with us. She didn’t need to die — but hey, this is Teen Wolf, so maybe she’ll find a way back to life!

Speaking of people coming back to life, Lydia used the chaos of the full moon — along with a special purple powder she had at her disposal — to drag Derek (Tyler Hoechlin) back to the mansion and free Peter (Ian Bohen) from his underground prison of creepy gross-ness. We saw the red drain from Derek’s eyes, so I’m assuming that Peter has reclaimed his position as the Alpha.

But does that mean Derek’s merry band of were-friends will abandon him to follow Peter, or will they stay by his side and help him fight?

Assorted thoughts:

>> I could have written a separate recap based solely on week’s Stiles moments. From the awkwardly giant present (enjoy that here) to the super-serious hallucination about his dad blaming him for his mother’s death, we pretty much saw every angle of him. Dylan O’Brien is a multi-faceted work of art.

>> I know Tyler Hoechlin has always been a well-built gentleman, but Derek looked twice as big as he normally does this week. And I’m not complaining.

>> I’ve said this before, but I’m so glad Lydia has solid material this season. Holland Roden continues to impress me every week.

OK, Teen Wolf fans — Were you surprised to learn that Matt controls Jackson? Were you as sad as I was when Mrs. Argent died? And what do you think will happen now that Peter is back in town? Drop me a comment with all of your thoughts and theories!

— Andy Swift

More Teen Wolf:

1. ‘Teen Wolf’ Recap: The Kanima Speaks & [Spoiler] Gets Bitten
  2. ‘Teen Wolf’ Comic-Con Scoop: Who Gets Bitten Next, Plus More Spoilers
  3. ‘Teen Wolf’ Twist: Is Allison Turning Supernatural This Season?

anthony benedict

Posted at 5:59 PM on January 29, 2013

more teen wolves 2 form a pack

Tiffany

Posted at 2:22 PM on July 31, 2012

im so glad matt died. he’s freaking weird…. & allison’s grandpa is super freaky..

jacob katoa

Posted at 2:33 AM on July 31, 2012

If Matt doesn’t. Come back a live then I’m not. Watching. Next week’s. Then

jacob katoa

Posted at 2:30 AM on July 31, 2012

I like Matt I hope he. Comes. Back a live. And kills. Aliison’s grandfather. And her dad becuz. They bug me Matt needs took kill them I hope he comes. Back alive. If does then I’m. Not watch it next Monday

Austin

Posted at 1:12 AM on July 31, 2012

I was right all along about Matt being the first one to come in contact with Jackson so choosing him to be the master!!!

Kerry

Posted at 8:52 PM on July 26, 2012

Gerard though, he’s keeping me intrigued. Again at the end of episode 8, he finds Allison as she runs out of the rave and she says “It didn’t work, none of it worked” (not sure how she’d know that) but then Gerard says:

“I wouldn’t say that, in fact I’d say the prognosis isn’t nearly as dire as it seems, not nearly”

So it seemed to me that Gerard seemed to have gotten ‘something’ out of that night’s events that he wanted or he wouldn’t seem anywhere near as pleased with himself.

Kerry

Posted at 8:46 PM on July 26, 2012

I am loving this show more than anything, but in a way despite how much went on in this episode it was very disjointed. I mean at the end of episode 8, they leave us seeing Scott as he lay near death – at the start of episode 9 he’s walking and talking – so what happened in the middle of that. I was disappointed not to have seen anything about that. I am near dying though to find out what happens with Derek now after Peter Hale is back – when Lydia was dragging Derek into the house, she was able to move his arms etc., but after Peter got his life back, Derek was then able to scoot across the floor, almost like the Wolfsbane powder no longer affected him at all – I wonder if whatever allowed Peter to return, not only gave him back his life, possibly his Alpha status, but what if it took Derek’s “werewolf” ness from him? What if Derek is now just human?

Tyler Hoechlin

Posted at 4:37 PM on July 26, 2012

I was not as sad to see mrs. argent die,Peter will go after Allison grandfather, Gerald,an d maybe he’ll bind to Matt.Matt loves alison, they can used her used has bait.

NickyCuzzin

Posted at 12:02 AM on July 26, 2012

Derek is still the Alfa and so is Peter. I was on UstreamLive with the cast this episode and alot of fans asked questions and alot of questions was answered. One question asked was Derek still the Alfa and they said “Yes”….There’s so many twists I can’t put it together. Great Job Jeff Davis!!

mal35m

Posted at 6:52 PM on July 25, 2012

The death of Miss Argent made me sad because she did not have to die, also it will set the stage for tragedy for Allison and Derek. Am I the only one who did not see Derek bite Victoria. This is going to sound strange, but I wonder if it will not turn out that Gerald is an alpha and bit her. It looked like he could not pass the ashes and he looked so happy about something after the kanima attack. It may explain all the pills too. I was a little surprised about Matt. He was a suspect but not my main one. I am a little worried that Jeff Davis seems to be hinting that more major characters may die yet this season. I hope he does not go the Torchwood route and kill off all the sympathetic characters.

Stephanie

Posted at 6:35 PM on July 25, 2012

What if Matt is playing as a teen when he’s really 24, and using jackson as the killer to people who might have treated him badly when he was in high school? I thought that the teacher was going to be the controller since his car with the einstein quote was found at every scene of the victims. And I thought it was really creepy that the teacher was at the rave.

April Frazier

Posted at 5:19 PM on July 25, 2012

I was not as sad to see mrs. argent die, in fact that scene didn’t phase me much at all, well the sadness between husband and wife was touching, but the scene where Allison finds out did break my heart. I adore her character and I hate how sad and angry she is going to be in the coming eps. I actually suspected Matt, he has been rather fishy lately, and they really brought his character to the forefront. Not sure about Peter, I think that is heading into finale cliffhanger material.

Kaila

Posted at 3:28 PM on July 25, 2012

Victoria Argent is not dead because her eyes turned amber yellow before she died. Wolves can heal from anything almost. Allison will go after Derek but Derek is not going to die because he’s one of the main characters. Scott will tell Allison that his mother tried to kill him. Peter will go after Allison grandfather, Gerald, and maybe we will find out why he pop so many pills. What I really want to know is, what is Scott boss and the guidance councelor? I think Gerald, Peter, Scott boss and the guidance councelor is all connected from the past!!

CT

Posted at 11:51 AM on July 25, 2012

Allisons mom i think is not dead she died a werewolf which mean she can heal. I’m not gonna make all these theories like some people here because every episode is a twist and turn. But next episode I think Grandpa Argent made Allison some sort of leader where she can make decisions because she said she wants derek dead and he said well do whatever you want us to do. Peter I think is gonna seek vengence to derek for killing him. Derek is between a rock and hard place wanting 2 people to kill him. Scott is gonna be revealed a werewolf to his mother because it shows matt shooting him but then again teen wolf and there twist and turns that might have been a dream or hallucination scott had a fear of happening that might not even happen. Looks like matt wont be attendings school anymore being that scott and stiles told stiles dad so theyre probably gonna be looking for him and I also believe were gonna learn more about matt , how he became a master of a kanima that hasnt been seen in ages maybe matt got bit by a wolf who knows because all we see is a random photographer guy controlling a kanima how is he bonded with sucha monster I think were gonna learn alittle more about him next episode.

Jessica

Posted at 10:57 AM on July 25, 2012

This means Scott now has a chance to become human again if he kills Peter!!!

And by the previews of next week Allison is going to be pretty much a b****
Why doesnt Scott just tell Allison that her mom tried to kill him?!?!?!?!

tatiana

Posted at 11:14 PM on July 24, 2012

everyone keeps saying matt got paralyzed but he never said he was paralyzed he said he got a concussion.

Querrida

Posted at 10:54 PM on July 24, 2012

OMG HE HELP KILLED HIS WIFE AND ALLISON CRYING OVER HER MOM DEATH KILLS ME.. AND THAT GUYS WHO CONTROL JACKSON CREEPS ME OUT I HAD NO IDEA IT WOULD BE HIM . NEXT ONE GONNA BE AWESOME

LC

Posted at 10:36 PM on July 24, 2012

i am very confused right now but i have a few theries. when the kanimas master was talking through jackson at the rave, it said “they murdered me” and “were all here” which mmade me think that everyone that is killed by the kanima is its master. i am also so confused abot Grampa Argent and Harris. i think that Granmpas pill popping is keeping him human and not supernatural but if u noticed at the rave, grampa argent couldnt pass the barrier that stiles spread out which mean he has to be something. so yeah, i think there is more thn one kanima master bu i think they r all connected and i also think that since peter is now back, scott andd derek will form one pack and kill peter and then scott will become the alfa. and BTW i also think that since peter is back, lydia will now become somethingg supernatural since peter bit her and he died before she could change. oh, and did anyone consider the fact that lydia might be one of the kanimas masters and that the teachers car has been in every kanima sceen and that the Argents must know SOMETHING about the chem teacher because they kidnapped him and tortured him. PLEASE REPLAY WITH UR APPENION

Tiffany

Posted at 10:04 PM on July 24, 2012

Shocked that Matt controls the Kanima!! He is a total creep but I never thought he had that much power!! How did that come to be?! I’m afraid for Derek’s life…everyone else’s now, too! Teen Wolf is getting pretty serious!!

Alpha DEREK omega

Posted at 9:35 PM on July 24, 2012

Umm the new alpha gonna kill kanima and scot gonna nkill derek n his uncl n marry allisons