'I'm Having Their Baby' Recap: New Heart-Wrenching Series On Adoption

Tue, July 24, 2012 1:56am EDT by 10 Comments

On the new documentary series ‘I’m Having Their Baby,’ we met two women entangled in complicated pregnancy drama. Mary wound up pregnant with another man’s child after having an affair, but still wants to make her marriage work. Claudia got pregnant by a guy who has 6 kids with 4 different baby mommas. Each woman chose adoption for their baby, but will they stick to it?

Placing a child up for adoption is an emotionally difficult task for everyone involved, but even more so when your husband is not the father of your unborn baby. On Oxygen’s new six-part documentary series I’m Having Their Baby, Mary, 25, turned to an ex-boyfriend for emotional support, only to find herself pregnant with his baby — but she doesn’t want to give up her marriage, either.

Mary

Mary’s husband Eric became distant and downright mean after a car accident and unnamed illness left her sick and in pain. When Eric confessed to Mary after five years of marriage that he couldn’t continue a relationship with her (and said he didn’t sign up to be married to someone who was sick!), she turned to an ex-boyfriend for emotional support. Emotional support turned into much more when Mary found out she was pregnant with his child!

However, Eric miraculously changed his mind and said he still loved his wife and wanted to make it work. Mary decided to choose her marriage over her unborn baby, and give her child up for adoption so that he or she can grow up with two loving, stable parents. Although she initially likes a couple named Jeremy and Nicole, she changes her mind a few months later (for a variety of reasons that don’t really make sense), and wants to find new parents. With Mary constantly going back and forth, her adoption counselor is concerned that Mary is too confused to really know what she wants.

Spoiler alert: At the end, Mary decides that she wants to keep her baby, David, and her adoption counselor has to break the news to the second couple. In gaining little David, she loses her marriage to Eric, but she would rather take on the world as a single mom than as an unhappy wife. Although I’m glad Mary came to a decision that felt best for her (and ditched her spiteful and condescending husband), I can’t help but feel sorry for the two separate adoptive couples she led on for so long.

Claudia

We also meet Claudia, who at 20, got pregnant by a guy she was seeing for about a month named Ben. It didn’t take Claudia long to realize Ben was a player, who already had six kids with four different baby mommas! Although she admitted that she was stupid to fall for Ben’s games when they were dating and not to use protection — hindsight is always 20/20 — she knows better now and wants to give her unborn child a better life with two complete and loving parents. Plus, Ben can’t even keep track of the kids he has now, let alone support them.

However, Claudia started dating a guy named Josh a few months into her pregnancy, who despite his seemingly lack of a good job, is convinced he can support Claudia and her child. But Claudia seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and reiterates that she is only 20, and wants to go back to school and land a stable job for her future. Plus, if she and Josh break up — there’s no ring on her finger, after all — she doesn’t want to be a single mother like her friend Precious. She knows adoption is the best choice right now.

As her pregnancy comes to an end, Claudia meets and selects an adoptive couple (who choose to remain off camera), and they name her baby Caleb. After Claudia gives birth to baby Caleb, she lovingly holds him in the delivery room for a while and gets extremely emotional. Watching her and Josh with Caleb in the hospital actually make it seem like they can be a loving, supportive family all together. She cries when going over the adoption papers, and questions whether giving her baby away is still the right choice.

Spoiler alert: Claudia continues with the adoption, and the new parents get to take baby Caleb home. Although she and Josh end up breaking up, Claudia insists it was for the best, and reaffirms her decision that adoption was the best option for her baby. Claudia visits Caleb every month, and could not feel more confident with her decision after seeing Caleb in loving and supportive family. She also enrolled in college for the fall to study business, and is focusing on herself and her future. I am so happy for Claudia and Caleb! They both seem to be on their way to leading happy, successful lives.

Check out the teaser for the entire upcoming season!

What do YOU think of the show HollyMoms?

– Christina Stiehl

More TV recaps:

1. ‘Teen Wolf’ Recap: The Kanima’s Master Is Revealed
  2. ‘RHONJ’ Recap: Teresa Giudice Fights Kathy Wakile Over Stolen Recipe
  3. ‘Big Ang’ Recap: Sandy, 65, Breaks Her Arm During A Sexy Jacuzzi Party

<a href=”http://polldaddy.com/poll/6412447/”>Will YOU watch “I’m Having Their Baby?”</a><br/><br /> <span style=”font:9px;”>(<a href=”http://www.polldaddy.com”>polls</a>)</span><br />

Melissa R

Posted at 10:37 PM on July 18, 2013

I watched the episode on Juky 17,2013 .Im having there baby . The one thing that really set me off is Adam attitude about his daughter & resenting her . Well if he doesn’t want a baby . Then he needs to take his sack lard & go get a vasectomy . I feel so sorry for Thai . How hurt & confused she was . She needs to kick him to the curb .

Really...

Posted at 9:04 AM on July 26, 2012

Seriously, CAN NOT handle Mary. She seems like a terrible mother. Sorry, but I feel bad that her son was not adopted to the couple SHE picked out. I cannot imagine how devastating it would be as the adoptive parents to go through the “screening process” and finally find a baby and then later get rejected. I guess I’m just troubled by how much of a BS reason Mary gave…how immature can you be, Mary? Wow!! I can imagine that adoption would be tough, but Mary is an idiot.

AJ

Posted at 6:19 PM on July 25, 2012

I was very impressed with Claudia’s decision and plans for her and her son’s future. She was very mature and had the wherewithal to know what it takes to raise a child, to understand that Ben wasn’t about anything and that her new boyfriend may not be around forever. Best of luck to Claudia who seems to have it together.
Mary on the other hand seemed very flaky. It was unfortunate that she played around with several people’s lives (the two potential adoptive parents, the ex-boyfriend that she ran to and got pregnant, and even her husband that appeared to be a jerk but I’m sure there are two sides to that story). I guess her son will provide her with the love and attention that she needs.

Keli

Posted at 5:01 PM on July 25, 2012

Runny- I would agree that Mary was definitely in it for the attention which is part of the reason why she did not choose the first couple because she said she felt “ignored.”

As a single black woman of twins, I can tell you that I am singing the same song as my single/married white, Hispanic, etc. Mothers. Parenting is challenging single or married and I have been a parent in both situations. If I could have found a couple that I thought would beat the odds of 1 in 2 marriages ending in divorce, allowing them to adopt mines would have been an option for me.

KKK69

Posted at 2:57 PM on July 25, 2012

OMG I just watched this show and I want to beat the hell out of that trash bag Mary. The first couple were just perfect and cuz the wife was ” LOUD” gimme a freaking break. This cow just didnt want to give up her baby. She is the one who claims to be so religious but she spread her legs and had UNPROTECTED sex with someone other then her husband of five years. HOW DARE SHE. It’s bit ches like her that cause good people NOT to adopt on American soil for fear they will take the child away. She will NOT be able to give that little boy a decent home as opposed to a loving couple. She is a selfish rude narcissistic home wrecker.

Runny Isaac

Posted at 12:24 AM on July 25, 2012

I think Mary never really planned on giving up her baby and was just loving the attention of not only the adoptive agency, potential adoptive parents and the cameras. I think she has done a dis-service to her child who I am sure Mary will show this moment in the spotlight to. It should make him feel great that his mother wanted to give him away and used him as a tool to deeply hurt two couple’s hoping to provide him with a life I am sure, would have been much better than what Mary and her enemployed life could give him. Now he has no dad and an ambivalent mother who couldn’t decide what was best for him over her own selfish needs.

liz

Posted at 10:02 PM on July 24, 2012

woman shouldnt open their legs especially if its a one night stand or berly know their partner because later on their not even capable of taking care of their kid and expect child support.

christina HUNTER

Posted at 10:04 AM on July 24, 2012

i think the women r right if u cant take care of the baby than give it to someone who can. I wish someone would have told me about it because it’s hard doing it by yourself and as black women we have it hard we no help so its stress and some more things to go along with it but we do it so if u can’t take care ur baby or want ab better life for it do what you GOTTA DO!!!!!!!

Lorene Fairchild

Posted at 1:28 PM on July 24, 2012

I’m so glad Mary decided to keep her beautiful son !

Lillo

Posted at 3:53 PM on July 25, 2012

Are you serious with the black woman comment? You get no help? Well neither do white, hispanic, etc women in the same shoes. Way to play the race card!